ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Lynn Goldsmith
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [THE ROLLING STONES] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN MACLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: WHO open tour Return to archive
07-02-02 01:14 PM
Martha Who Launch Tour After Death of Bassist
By ANTHONY BREZNICAN
AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Who turned their mourning into defiant energy in their first concert after the death of their longtime bassist.

Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey, the surviving members of the seminal, 1960's British rock band performed Monday night at the Hollywood Bowl in the group's first concert since John Entwistle's death last week.

The first two shows of the group's North American tour were canceled after Entwistle, 57, died in his sleep Thursday in Las Vegas, and his bandmates vowed to continue as a tribute to him.

"I just wanted to say that tonight we played for John Entwistle," Daltrey said after opening the show with the hits, "I Can't Explain," and "Substitute." "He was the true spirit of rock 'n' roll and he lives on in the music we play."

The group, featuring substitute bass player Pino Palladino, then launched into a frenetic rendition of "Who Are You."

Earlier, Townshend said he did not expect Palladino, who has played with Tears for Fears, Eric Clapton and Elton John, to "emulate, parody or copy John Entwistle in any way."

"The one request I made was that - at first - he play as loud as he can bear!" the guitarist said in a message posted on his Web site.

Entwistle, Daltrey and Townshend were three of the founding members of the rock quartet. Drummer Keith Moon died in 1978 of a drug overdose.

The group, founded in London in the early 1960s, was part of the British rock invasion along with the Rolling Stones and the Beatles. Their parade of hits included "I Can See For Miles," "Pinball Wizard," and "Won't Get Fooled Again."

The Who has been known for explosive shows that often culminate in the smashing of their musical instruments on stage. But Entwistle's bass guitar work was known for its great reserve, anchoring the wildman antics of the other players.

Fans at the packed Hollywood Bowl gave the group a standing ovation before a single note was played. Palladino played the first few songs off to the side, often in shadow.

Before the set began, giant screens featured video of the group rehearsing at Townshend's home nearly two weeks before Entwistle's death. The audience cheered and applauded each time Entwistle was seen.

Many said they were sorry that he was gone, but believe The Who would survive his loss.

"The truth of the matter is, Entwistle was very mellow, so he affects the music but he doesn't affect the stage dynamic as much," said Howard Fuchs, 50, a Los Angeles attorney who said he had seen the group perform nearly 20 times. "He was unique and replaceable all in one."

Most fans said they were glad the band planned to continue.

"I've lost good friends in my life and the best thing you can do to get it out of your system is to express it through music," said Michael May, 39, of Los Angeles, a camera operator and amateur guitarist.

Midway through the show, Townshend took the microphone to thank fans for supporting the band during their time of mourning.

"We're not just pretending as if nothing happened," Townshend said. "It is difficult."

At the end of the show, he and Daltrey embraced and waved farewell to a giant screen beside the stage on which was projected images of Entwistle from his youth to his older days.
07-02-02 01:51 PM
Maxlugar This "Who" tour will be an abysmal failure across the board . Please avert your eyes from this tepid mess!

"Head For Backstage Pass!"

Maxy!
07-02-02 02:32 PM
Joey 'At the end of the show, he and Daltrey embraced and waved farewell to a giant screen beside the stage on which was projected images of Entwistle from his youth to his older days. '

Simply Beautiful !

Oh Oh .........tears are starting to flow again !

" Remembering distant memories Ronnie "

Joey von Entwistle

07-02-02 02:38 PM
Cardinal Fang This is a "Good News/Bad News" thing.

The Good News is I will be seeing them in 48 hours.

The Bad News is out of 4 people going, I drew the short straw and have to be the designated driver.

Later, Cardinal Fang
07-02-02 02:43 PM
Joey "The Good News is I will be seeing them in 48 hours.

The Bad News is out of 4 people going, I drew the short straw and have to be the designated driver. "

You lucky S.O.B. !!! I wish I was there ....on a July 4th too . It doesn't get any better , unless , of course , you can weasel out of driving .

Do you have good seats ????? Watch Pete do his Tap Tap Tap thing on the fret -- COOL !!!!!

CooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooollllllllllll !

Gotta Bail ,

Gotta Jet ,

Later ,

Joey

07-02-02 04:13 PM
Scot Rocks After reading the reviews of fans and Rolling Stone and Billboard, from the Who site the overall conclusion considering all the circumstances is that the Who rocked. Roger and Pete and Zak, all seemed to put a further bit of effort into everything in order to compensate for the loss of John, and from everyones opinions Pino also stepped in and managed to do a good job under a heavy burden, he may not have played like the Ox, but he seems to have done a terrific job under enormous pressure. Overall, things seem to have gone ok, well done everyone and for John, keep playing your hearts out. The Who may have been badly wounded but they are still alive and live to fight another day.

Cheers

Mark
07-02-02 04:22 PM
Prodigal Son Who's missing? Two's missing. I mean, now they are a and, but with only two members left, will they just have to call themselves the Who's. It really is tragic. But now we know the greatest living bass player is Bill. So prove it and come back! Anyway, I think I'm gonna see Dylan in Calgary (where I live) in August. Can't miss a living legend before they go (Dylan somehow, like Keith, keeps rolling on like that ol' man river).
07-02-02 04:40 PM
Joey 'The Who may have been badly wounded but they are still alive and live to fight another day. '

Right on Brother ................

I would like to nuzzle you !

Bunny

07-02-02 04:48 PM
Boomhauer I can't wait to see them at The Palace.

BTW, I think that with John's death the new album talks are probably going out the window. Also, I saw in interviews with Pete that he said they would try two new songs at the shows, but I guess they won't do that either.?
07-02-02 05:39 PM
mattb
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
This "Who" tour will be an abysmal failure across the board . Please avert your eyes from this tepid mess!

"Head For Backstage Pass!"

Maxy!

Across the board the reviews are great! -

"The Who arguably sounded more like a living, breathing band at the Hollywood Bowl than they have anytime since the 1978 death of Moon."

From Rolling Stone -

Love Live Rock!
[Edited by mattb]
07-02-02 09:04 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! Reguarding the comment above: I think Bill is a great Bass player and he fit The Stones sound perfectly, but he by far is not the best Bass player living.
07-03-02 12:33 AM
Martha Who is the best bass player living?? I would have to put Chris Squire on the short list.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road