ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today is the last day to submit your answers for the trivia
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Estadio Vicente Calderón, Madrid - June 27-Setlist, Pix and Reviews Return to archive
06-27-03 07:02 PM
steel driving hammer

06-27-03 07:15 PM
Backseat Rhythm Can't wait to see what they've played....I should have been there, but I'll have my second dose in Barcelona
06-27-03 07:39 PM
steel driving hammer Nice tounge...

http://www.elpais.es/comunes/2003/rolling/
06-27-03 08:42 PM
CS From IORR http://www.iorr.org/tour03/madrid.htm

The set list

1. Brown Sugar
2. Start Me Up
3. You Got Me Rocking
4. Don't Stop
5. Angie
6. You Can't Always Get What You Want
7. Midnight Rambler
8. Tumbling Dice
--- Introductions
9. Thru And Thru (Keith)
10. Happy (Keith)
11. Sympathy For The Devil
12. Mannish Boy (B-stage)
13. Street Fighting Man (B-stage)
14. Like A Rolling Stone (B-stage)
15. Gimme Shelter
16. It's Only Rock'n Roll
17. Honky Tonk Women
18. Satisfaction
19. Jumping Jack Flash (encore)

The Pretenders (warmup) : 8:35pm - 9:25pm
The Rolling Stones : 10:25pm - 12:30am

06-27-03 09:13 PM
Backseat Rhythm
06-27-03 09:23 PM
moy
06-27-03 10:51 PM
LadyJane From IORR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hola Madrid!
I am pretty tired after this show, as I am just back to my place at Puerto de Toledo here in Madrid. Luckily it is only ten minutes walking down the road to the venue, but back up the hill the streets were crowded of course. So it's 1:30 in the morning and I am just back writing up these short memories...
My ticket said show start 22:00 which means 10pm. That would mean the Pretenders on stage at 10pm, and the Stones on close to midnight. But I thought it was strange, so I walked down the hill a bit earlier, and was there by 6:30pm. The doors had still not opened, but it was like 800 people on the Keith side entrance, which was closest to where most people arrived, and then there were just 200 or so people at the other side. I stayed there, and 15 minutes later they opened the doors. Also, they opened another door, and with less than 20 people on that door I was inside in 5 minutes.

Inside they had the front pit system, but they did not have any special tickets for it. My ticket was 40 Euro, for the floor, general admission anywhere. I was running like crazy to make it inside before they closed it, remembering in 1998 some times the front pit was full in 10 minutes. Well not for Madrid for sure! The Keith side was closed after an hour or so, and the Ronnie side was not full until 45 minutes later, at 8:45pm. By then the Pretenders had been on for 10 minutes already. The lesson from this is simple: If they have such a system other places, then go for the other side if you meet a closed front pit. May be the other one is closing later. And the wristband is the same, so you can go any place once you have it. Tonight it was dark green, same one as in Circus Krone and Leipzig, actually.

The Pretenders played well, a great set, 10 minutes longer than in Bilbao. A new ballad was great. Chrissie Hynde thanked Mick, Keith, Charlie and Bobby Keys. And also Ronnie, as if she almost forgot about him...

It was +35 C in the day, but luckily we got some clouds by 5pm or so, and the temperature dropped to below 30, helping a lot for survival in the heat. And inside we had sun shelter from the venue. The entire Ronnie side was in the shade. Still, the "Mahou" beer, actually from the big brewery one block away, was sold in a big volume, also lots of water, due to the heat.

It was dark when they started. And the venue was pretty full. Just like in Bilbao, the crowd went wild as Keith was on stage, and even wilder when Mick arrived few seconds later. "Start Me Up" was a great sing-a-long song, and as it finished, Mick said Hola Madrid!, and they started "You Got Me Rocking", as the monitors slowly rotated into position from behind the stage, first with Mick on the left one and Keith on the right one, then two more with Charlie and Ronnie. The crowd got loud and they loved seing the Stones in large scale! Then everybody was singing "oe-oe-oe-oe oe-oe", and Mick was singing along too.

"Don't Stop" was mega-popular. Everybody knew it, and everybody was singing along. Ronnie having the camera fixed to his guitar made some great pictures on the screen, great visuals.

"Angie". Thousands of lighters in the stadium lit for the mood. And thousands of people singing "Angie". Mick did not have to sing any words at all for the first verse... Same with "You Can't Always...". Everybody singing along.

The greatest song of the night was for sure "Midnight Rambler". Keith made some excellent guitar playing, and Mick was all over the stage dancing all through the song. He did all the dance steps I have seen before plus some new ones. I did not have time to see any Flamenco shows here in Madrid, but Mick gave me all the dancing I needed. I think the better crowd, the more dancing... And then it was a great temperature of course, still may be +25 C.

The crowd got more quiet during the Keith set. But we got a bonus in "Happy", as Keith decided to do an extra verse. Ronnie was already standing up from his stool, and he had placed his special guitar lying there, when Keith started Happy again. So Ronnie played his bit standing, with the guitar lying on the stool. It was great!

"Street Fighting Man" on the small stage. Just like "Rambler". Lots of dancing again. And an excellent version. Mick, Ronnie and Keith were all over the stage; to both sides, to the back, we got them wherever we were. "Like A Rolling Stone" was another crowd pleaser with a fantastic song-a-long. Then the last five songs I won't even mention, because they were played loud, great, with emotions, and with power. And again Keith is proving that his guitar is the edge and the raw power of the Stones. Like on "Satisfaction" the entire crowd went nuts as he started it up with his famous riffs. Any other song would be "slow" compared to "Satisfaction" tonight.

Just 19 songs, you say? Satisfied for sure, I say!

IORR/Bjornulf
------------------------------------------------------------
Madrid...Sounds like another great night in Europe!!

LadyJ.
06-27-03 10:58 PM
midnightmagic Come on guys take some chances with the setlist-please.
06-27-03 11:07 PM
McQueen Good gig, no?
06-28-03 07:03 AM
marko 19 songs including angie&lars!c´mon guys,back to 20 and no
those songs anymore!!
06-28-03 07:23 AM
RubyFriday
[Edited by RubyFriday]
06-28-03 06:08 PM
Gazza sorry,but 19 songs for a stadium show is bordering on an insult. sounds like they cant wait to get back to the hotel or for the tour to be over IMO
06-28-03 07:06 PM
Boomy I guess next tour it will be $500 a ticket for front row and only setlist of 16 songs.

06-28-03 09:34 PM
midnightmagic and tumblin dice needs to go. The backup singers make it a showy song and Mick get's to go down the middle Yea Yea Yaa, good for a show but change it. People have seen this many times, a little change in the performance would really put you over the top. Anyway, I am no dumb ass, I would still go though, HA!
06-29-03 10:37 AM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Gazza wrote:
sorry,but 19 songs for a stadium show is bordering on an insult. sounds like they cant wait to get back to the hotel or for the tour to be over IMO

I hope your not right, but don't they have to follow the curfew laws? The shows in Madrid have been starting late. Wait until Paris, you'll get prolly 20+ songs.
06-29-03 12:24 PM
marko Nope,this is how it goes,just like in 98 and 99,now only
19songs,seems to be staple,and Gazza is perfectly right!
If i hear ANGIE&LARS in helsinki and ONLY 19 songs,that will
be the last stadium show for me,i will pass stockholm then
as well,even i have tix to Globe arena.And to be honest,spanish audience deserve more!
06-29-03 07:13 PM
moy

[Edited by moy]
06-29-03 07:14 PM
moy
06-29-03 07:32 PM
steel driving hammer Moybabe, I don't think the first pic is from Madrid?
06-30-03 01:02 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

Same as above but in better size and resolution

Photos from terra.es withthanks to CarpinStones from our branch in Spanish http://rocksoff.org/foro
06-30-03 01:23 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Also with thanks to CarpinStones check these couple of videos of the show in Madrid, it's Start me Up and YouGot me Rocking

Check this link for two great videos from Madrid3

http://www.terra.es/ocio/articulo/h...ml/oci19407.htm
07-02-03 12:29 PM
montana one of my pix

and this is the day of the show, in the morning, in front of the Palace hotel (where the stones were)

cheers, lour
[Edited by montana]
07-02-03 12:49 PM
LadyJane Great pics, Lour!!

Now where are you hiding the one of you and Mick??!!!

I'll be checking out your website later.

LadyJ.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003