ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Forty Licks Fanclub Bigger Bash

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Silence modern music in church, says Pope Return to archive
30th June 2006 06:05 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Silence modern music in church, says Pope
By Malcolm Moore in Rome
Telegraph
(Filed: 27/06/2006)

The Pope has demanded an end to electric guitars and modern music in church and a return to traditional choirs.

The Catholic Church has been experimenting with new ways of holding Mass to try to attract more people. The recital of Mass set to guitars has grown in popularity in Italy; in Spain it has been set to flamenco music; and in the United States the Electric Prunes produced a "psychedelic" album called Mass in F Minor.

However, the use of guitars and tambourines has irritated the Pope, who loves classical music. "It is possible to modernise holy music," the Pope said, at a concert conducted by Domenico Bartolucci the director of music at the Sistine Chapel. "But it should not happen outside the traditional path of Gregorian chants or sacred polyphonic choral music."

His comments prompted the newspaper La Stampa to compare him with Pope Pius X, who denounced faddish classical and baroque compositions and reinstated Gregorian chants in 1903.

The Pope's supporters argue that the music played during Mass is a vital part of the communion between worshippers and God, and that medieval church music, with the liturgy, creates the correct ambience for perceiving God's mystery.

Cardinal Ersilio Tonini, the Archbishop of Ravenna, said:"Mass is the presence of Christ and the music adds so much more when the harmony allows the mind to transcend the concrete to the divine."

But Cardinal Carlo Furno, grand master of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, said it was "better to have guitars on the altar and rock and roll Masses than empty churches". The use of modern music was a "sign of the vitality of the faith".

The argument is part of a wider debate about the Latin Mass, restricted in the Vatican II reforms of the 1960s because it was seen to be putting worshippers off going to Church.

The Pope believes that if Latin Masses are reintroduced, more Catholics will learn the words to the Gregorian chants that he advocates.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
30th June 2006 06:13 AM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

The Pope has demanded an end to electric guitars and modern music in church and a return to traditional choirs.

Now we know why ticket sales in his native Germany have been so poor
30th June 2006 10:27 AM
Monkey Woman This pope is dead boring. He objects to pop music, rock'n'roll, even opera! Yes, folks, he thinks that highly emotional non-religious music like opera or rock is one of the ways our society declines into godlessness... Oh, the horror!

Maybe we should blast lots of emotional music in the streets, everywhere religious nutjobs are the cause for terrorism and chaos and war...
30th June 2006 10:29 AM
MrPleasant The nazi pope thread!
30th June 2006 10:53 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
30th June 2006 10:56 AM
MrPleasant
quote:

Say what you want, but MGM knew how to make those musicals. (Not the Singing Nun, of course, but close.)
30th June 2006 11:02 AM
sirmoonie Typical Nazi manuever. That guy sucks. When he's not busy blaming the Allies for World War II, he's banning Allied music. What a scumbag of the first order. Pince Nez.
30th June 2006 11:29 AM
MrPleasant I'm telling you, man, it's religion. i don't need no opium for the masses, I need opium for ME!

To harvest opium, the skin of the ripening pods is scored by a sharp blade. The slashes exude a white, milky latex, which dries to a sticky brown resin that is scraped off the pods as raw opium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium
30th June 2006 03:26 PM
sirmoonie Howe do we get rid of this scumbag Nazi pope? Why isn't he rotting in Spandau prison, instead of fronting a billion dollar business, and raking more dough that Bill Gates? Is there no justice on this earth?

Deserve Victory!

We have squandered it.
30th June 2006 03:31 PM
pdog I thought the Pope died recently?
30th June 2006 03:31 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Is there no justice on this earth?

Oh yes. Sooner or later.

30th June 2006 03:40 PM
pdog When, When will Jesus return? I'm tired of waiting!
Who will he be? what will he look like? Will he answer all those burning questions, about queers and abortion?
This is harder than waiting for the next season of Lost!

30th June 2006 03:44 PM
jb Dayenu

Ilu hotzi, hotzi anu
Hotzi anu mi mitzrayim
Mi mitzrayim, hotzi anu
Dayenu!

Refrain:
Da-dayenu, da-dayenu, da-dayenu
Dayenu, dayenu, dayenu
Da-dayenu, da-dayenu, da-dayenu
Dayenu, dayenu

Ilu natan, natan lanu
Natan lanu torah tovah
Torah tovah, natan lanu
Dayenu!

Ilu natan, natan lanu
Natan lanu et haShabbat
Et haShabbat, natan lanu
Dayenu!
30th June 2006 03:44 PM
sirmoonie
quote:

Oh yes. Sooner or later.

30th June 2006 03:48 PM
jb Let My People Go

When Israel was in Egypt's land,
Let my people go!
Oppressed so hard they could not stand
Let my people go!

Refrain:
Go down, Moses,
Way down in Egypt land
Tell ol' Pharaoh
Let my people go!

Thus saith the Lord, bold Moses said
Let my people go!
If not, I'll smite your people dead,
Let my people go!

As Israel stood by the water side,
Let my people go!
By G-d's command it did divide,
Let my people go!
30th June 2006 06:06 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
Let My People Go

When Israel was in Egypt's land,
Let my people go!
Oppressed so hard they could not stand
Let my people go!

Refrain:
Go down, Moses,
Way down in Egypt land
Tell ol' Pharaoh
Let my people go!

Thus saith the Lord, bold Moses said
Let my people go!
If not, I'll smite your people dead,
Let my people go!

As Israel stood by the water side,
Let my people go!
By G-d's command it did divide,
Let my people go!

you havent lived until youve heard Dylan singing that, Joshy

..and in Tel Aviv, no less...
1st July 2006 11:39 AM
gimmekeef Didnt the guitars help drown out the screams of the alter boys being molested?....
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)