ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Forty Licks Fanclub Bigger Bash

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Neville dives into Dumpsta (SSC) Return to archive
29th June 2006 09:17 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Neville dives into Dumpsta
New Orleans music royalty says playing funk 'feels good'

Given that he tumbled out of a palm tree and has (let's face it) injected a drug or two in his lifetime, one might be leery of any wisdom dispensed by Keith Richards.

But Ivan Neville says the Rolling Stones' guitarist passed along a simple philosophy he still embraces.

"I've always followed him by example," said Neville, 46. "He would say, 'How dare you not play? Just play.' I've had a lot of experiences with the other things that come along with being a musician and bein' on the road. A lot of drugs and all that s---t. I learned from Keith that the music comes first."

Neville, who plays organ, clavinet and other instruments, gigged and recorded with Richards' band the X-Pensive Winos, not to mention playing on the Stones albums Dirty Work and Voodoo Lounge.

The fact his father is Aaron Neville qualifies him as New Orleans music royalty -- indeed, he first played with the Neville Brothers while still in his mid-teens. His other musical credits include Bonnie Raitt, Robbie Robertson, Gov't Mule and Widespread Panic.

Ivan Neville grappled with serious drug addiction in the late '90s, but overcame it years ago. His latest band is Dumpstaphunk, a seriously cooking funk-rock concoction with his cousin Ian Neville on guitar, drummer Raymond Weber (who played the drummer in the movie Ray) and bassists Tony Hall and Nick Daniels.

Yes, there are two bass players. Sometimes Hall switches to guitar, but the pair often hold down the bottom end simultaneously.

"It's unique, I must say," Neville said. "I love it."

He moved from New Orleans to Austin, Tex., after hurricane Katrina. Neville followed other members of the musical clan, including his uncle Cyril. He still bases himself in Austin, often playing at Antone's and the Lucky Lounge, but returned home to record Dumpstaphunk's first studio album.

A listen to songs on the band's website (www.dumpstaphunk.com) reveals a band of razor-sharp players who know how to deliver dirty, greasy, dance-happy funk. Neville developed a taste for it as a teen, sometimes skipping school to sample his uncle Cyril's huge record collection.

Why funk?

"It feels good, for one thing," he said. "We all love playin' off each other. What makes the funk is the space in between the notes, the little spaces in between. That's where the magic happens."

Neville started tapping at the family piano as a 15-year-old. His parents were well aware of the perils -- financial and otherwise -- of being an itinerant musician. Nonetheless, they let Ivan make up his own mind.

His Funk University started with Neville Brothers gigs, not to mention graduate studies with Richards and Raitt. For a period he experimented with synthesizers, then decided to embrace the more organic sound of the Hammond B-3 and the clav.

Over the past year, Neville met his old friends the Rolling Stones at several U.S. concerts. He still likes to keep in touch with Professor Keith.

"Every chance I get, I give him a holler, you know."

© The Vancouver Province 2006
29th June 2006 09:59 AM
FPM C10 We went to see them at BB King's after the last MSG show (see: the infamous across-the-street-pouting incident)and they were GREAT. They seriously bring da FONK. A bunch of Rocks Offers were there, including Gazza.

Highlight was when guest star Bernard Fowler sang some Sly & the Family Stone stuff. Lowlight was Bruce "What Key are We In?" Willis playing harp.
29th June 2006 10:06 AM
jb Never enjpoyed anything by Neville Brothers or Aaaron Neville,,,,very overrated imo.
29th June 2006 10:15 AM
glencar I saw them after the MSG concert this year. Quite nice. It was great meeting certain other ROers there.
29th June 2006 10:17 AM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:
Never enjpoyed anything by Neville Brothers or Aaaron Neville,,,,very overrated imo.

I usually like Aaron's voice but it stunk on that Superbowl thing.
29th June 2006 10:57 AM
Saint Sway Ivan Neville is a bad ass talented mofo!

ditto Charley Drayton.

fact, they should both chang their sir names to Bad Ass Mofo.
29th June 2006 11:05 AM
jb He sang that song with Linda Ronstadt...embarrassing...
the 60 sec thing just stopped a quicker response..
29th June 2006 11:17 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Ivan Neville is a bad ass talented mofo!

ditto Charley Drayton.

fact, they should both chang their sir names to Bad Ass Mofo.

You mean "Sir Bad Ass Mofo". Or did you mean "surname"? Either way!

Charley Drayton's grandpa played bass for BILLIE HOLIDAY.

Billie Freakin' Holiday.

That's some credentials there.

It would seem that bad-assiness, like premature gayness, has some genetic determinants.
29th June 2006 11:25 AM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:
He sang that song with Linda Ronstadt...embarrassing...
the 60 sec thing just stopped a quicker response..

Yes, that Fievel Mouskewitz song was horrid. But it did bring a tear to the eye when it was played at a wedding once...
29th June 2006 11:29 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

You mean "Sir Bad Ass Mofo". Or did you mean "surname"? Either way!

Charley Drayton's grandpa played bass for BILLIE HOLIDAY.

Billie Freakin' Holiday.

That's some credentials there.

It would seem that bad-assiness, like premature gayness, has some genetic determinants.

by his teens Charley was already a big deal musician here in NY and had already cut records with artists. Pretty big deal to be that young and jammin at the Hit Factory and shit.

just super talented. Really great guy too.
29th June 2006 02:04 PM
twicks1 Isn't Charley married to the singer from the Divinyls?

Any Stones fans should check out their last two albums...Charley played drums and the music has a serious Xpensive Winos vibe. Great stuff.
29th June 2006 02:10 PM
glencar The group that did "I Touch Myself"?
29th June 2006 02:13 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
Isn't Charley married to the singer from the Divinyls?

yes. Chrissy. Very cool couple.
29th June 2006 05:11 PM
twicks1 Even if you loathe "I Touch Myself," you should check the Divinyls out. Their guitar and drum sounds are totally Keith & the Winos.

Download "Make Out Alright" or "Bullet" from iTunes, you'll hear what I mean.
29th June 2006 06:49 PM
glencar I never said I loathe the song. They needed a hit & they got one. Great video.
29th June 2006 06:57 PM
Gazza The guitarist looked uncannily like a certain deceased Stones founder member as I remember
29th June 2006 07:05 PM
glencar Yes, but I guess she dumped him for Charley Drayton. Christina Amphill was her name.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)