ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Forty Licks Fanclub Bigger Bash

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Boy George scolded for ducking NY community service Return to archive
27th June 2006 06:06 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Boy George scolded for ducking NY community service
Mon Jun 26, 2006
Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Singer Boy George was threatened with jail by a New York judge on Monday for failing to complete a community service requirement because he wanted to do something less humiliating than raking leaves.

Criminal Court Judge Anthony Ferrara gave George until August 28 to complete the five days of community service, which was imposed in March when he admitted to falsely reporting a burglary, escaping more serious charges of drug possession.

Defense lawyer Louis Freeman had argued in court earlier this month that the singer, whose real name is George O'Dowd, was hoping to avoid the humiliation of dragging a rake around a city park and wanted to work with an AIDS charity.

Freeman said if the singer was forced to sweep streets or a park, "It would turn into a media circus."

Ferrara appeared angry and insisted that George, who did not speak during the court appearance, would be treated the same as any other offender.

"This is a simple matter," Ferrara told the 45-year-old singer. "Five days of community service. It's up to you as to whether it will be an exercise in humiliation or an exercise in humility. Your choice.

"If you do community service you go out that door," he said pointing to the exit. "But I'm going to make you a promise. If you don't do this community service, you go through the back door," he said, threatening the singer with jail.

The charges against Boy George, who made his name as the cross-dressing front man for the 1980s chart-topping British pop band Culture Club, resulted from an October 7 incident when police responded to his call reporting a burglary and found 13 bags of cocaine in his apartment.

If convicted on the drug charges, the singer could have been sentenced to 15 years in prison. Instead, was ordered to attend a drug rehabilitation program and was fined $1,000, which he has paid.

George rose from supermarket shelf stocker to international pop star in 1982 with the song "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?," which topped the charts in 18 countries. Culture Club went on to sell almost 20 million albums.

In 1995, George recounted his drug-induced fall from grace and how he had finally kicked his heroin habit in the autobiography "Take It Like a Man." Later, he made a new career as a disc jockey and record producer.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
27th June 2006 12:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels What's wrong with raking leaves???? I don't see anything degrading about that...."superstar" or not. WTF? George's value system is really screwed up as far as I'm concerned.
27th June 2006 12:47 PM
jb I love parades!!!
27th June 2006 12:50 PM
Honky Tonk Man According to one of today’s tabloids, Georges comment when faced with the realisation that he's going to have to go through with the leaf raking was... "I've always being a scrubber" Charming.
27th June 2006 12:53 PM
Saint Sway what leaves???????

I live in Manhattan. I cant find a fucking leaf anywhere!
[Edited by Saint Sway]
27th June 2006 04:28 PM
Bingo
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
what leaves???????

I live in Manhattan. I cant find a fucking leaf anywhere!
[Edited by Saint Sway]

Really? Look around, you'll see them. There are numerous parks in Manhattan, as well as trees on the streets.

You sure you live in Manhattan?
27th June 2006 05:13 PM
Saint Sway sure we've got a smattering of trees but not much leaves.

certainly not enough that its such a problem that we need convicts to sweep them up!

garbage yes. Leaves no.

and if it is that big of a deal, then I say we give the work to NYers with clean records that want jobs.

since when is raking leaves punishment?
27th June 2006 05:17 PM
Some Guy I enjoy Seinfeld reruns.
27th June 2006 05:19 PM
Black and Blue
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
...because he wanted to do something less humiliating than raking leaves.

This coming from the guy(?) who wrote carma chameleon?
28th June 2006 12:12 PM
GotToRollMe I thought that guy sweeping up in front of my friendly neighborhood methadone clinic this morning looked familiar...
28th June 2006 12:52 PM
jb Scrubber!!!!
28th June 2006 03:39 PM
Ten Thousand Motels He's been assigned to the Department of Sanitaion.
28th June 2006 03:41 PM
jb
quote:
He's been assigned to the Department of Sanitaion.

He was very popular in the early 80's with the MTV crowd. He had a song with a band name culture club about a csmelion. no?
28th June 2006 03:45 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
He was very popular in the early 80's with the MTV crowd. He had a song with a band name culture club about a csmelion. no?

I bought a pair of sneakers in Walmart about an hour ago and that song was playing in the store. I had visions of Boy George walking behind a garbage truck....wearing those big gloves....
28th June 2006 03:46 PM
jb
quote:

I bought a pair of sneakers in Walmart about an hour ago and that song was playing in the store. I had visions of Boy George walking behind a garbage truck....wearing those big gloves....

I have a good friend in Maine!!!
28th June 2006 03:48 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:

I have a good friend in Maine!!!

OH. Cool. What town? Maine's pretty big.
28th June 2006 09:06 PM
Bingo
quote:

I had visions of Boy George walking behind a garbage truck....wearing those big gloves....

He won't be behind a garbage truck, he'll be in the streets of Manhattan with a broom and a garbage pail with wheels, wearing and orange vest. He'll be sweeping the streets or somewhere in a park.

I would think somewhere in the East Village/Alphabet City?
29th June 2006 04:09 PM
jb What were his greatest moments? Live Aid? Band Aid?
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)