ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Brian
© Retna with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Photo of Mick at Spectrum Return to archive
June 30th, 2005 10:42 AM
Blackcloakcat I don't mean to quibble, but I saw both Philly shows in '75, fr/ great seats, & he did not wear that outfit at either show...no disrespect intended, but if I get info imput, I appreciate it. Still a great photo! BCC
June 30th, 2005 10:56 AM
gimmekeef Sure this wasnt taken during "State of Shock"..?..eery resemblence to Jacko I'm afraid..
June 30th, 2005 05:02 PM
kath gawd...it DOES look like jacko!!!
June 30th, 2005 05:46 PM
voodoopug
quote:
kath wrote:
gawd...it DOES look like jacko!!!

i shall have nightmares worse than with the walking catfish now. it does look like jacko. sad, but true, comparison.
June 30th, 2005 06:09 PM
kath speaking of catfish....http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wi...Story?id=897317

i thought that 60 pounder we saw once at lake LBJ was big...holy sheeeeeyut!!
June 30th, 2005 06:11 PM
voodoopug
quote:
kath wrote:
speaking of catfish....http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wi...Story?id=897317

i thought that 60 pounder we saw once at lake LBJ was big...holy sheeeeeyut!!

you must not attempt to send me into a fit of fright. my fear of fish is real.
June 30th, 2005 06:39 PM
kath catfish are very strange creatures..ever see anybody catch them with their fists? i forget what that's called, but it's a sport. incredibly ghastly creepy...
June 30th, 2005 07:05 PM
Bloozehound damn! that's a big catfish, that bitch is off the hook

speaking of fish, I'm about step out on my back porch to begin the process of blackenin the redfish I caught a few weeks ago

mmmmm fish tacos, tasty goodness

[Edited by Bloozehound]
June 30th, 2005 07:18 PM
kath hey bloozy...there is a great story in american statesman about a beautiful houseboat a guy built on lake travis. we used to go skinny dipping in lake travis years ago..not at hippie hollow though! what a great boat.....

[Edited by kath]
June 30th, 2005 09:04 PM
Lord Homosex Hey kath, I think that catching catfish thing is called 'noodling'. I saw this eerily interesting documentary on it. You probabaly saw the same on because face it: how many damn good documentaries can be out there about catching fucking catfish with your hands?
This family had made it like their calling, they passed it on from father to son. In this very muddy, nasty water they hang out all damn day and just become this....slimy half human/half otter creature.
And then they eat them.
June 30th, 2005 09:14 PM
kath that's it!!! noodling!!!! and it's a family affair!!!

http://www.johnsjottings.com/archiv...h_noodling.html

YUCK!!!!!!!
July 1st, 2005 04:57 AM
Bloozehound there's some tv show now where this guy goes around with people who do "odd" jobs and films them in action

a couple weeks ago he went out with some "noodlers" in their boat looking for catfish, i'd never seen that before

he also went out with a honey wagon guy, you know, the guy that goes around emptying port-o-potties and sucking up septic tanks

LOL

great show
July 1st, 2005 10:13 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Blackcloakcat wrote:
I don't mean to quibble, but I saw both Philly shows in '75, fr/ great seats, & he did not wear that outfit at either show...no disrespect intended, but if I get info imput, I appreciate it. Still a great photo! BCC

Er...don't know exactly what to say about any of that. It was absolutely and definitely taken at the Spectrum on June 30, 1975. Earlier in the show he had a jacket/cape thingy on over it which was striped and made the whole ensemble look more like Lana Turner's pajamas. He may have changed clothes during Billy's set. This photo was during the first few songs.

It's NOT a great photo, except to me...plus it's a scan of a scan so it lost even more definition. I also have some other photos which I took that night which are even worse.

I don't think it looks like Jacko, but nobody wants to think their baby is ugly either.

I don't think it looks exactly like Mick either. I think he was in motion, running toward the front edge of the stage.
July 1st, 2005 10:25 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
I believe you FPM, it that helps.

Hey!

Take a look at this shot I took at MSG July 26th 1975!

It was in those first few milliseconds after the Lotus Stage had unfolded and the band had yet to jump out of the couch!

Precious moments...

July 1st, 2005 10:35 AM
FPM C10 I don't think I've ever told you how much I love the photo of the lotus couch. It's perfect.

Have a happy and safe 4th of July, Macky!
July 1st, 2005 10:38 AM
Maxlugar You too old friend.

MSG? YOTI? You coming?

Someday, I'll get you to post from that Couch...

Have a great 4th O' July!

M!
July 1st, 2005 10:43 AM
J.J.Flash I'm wondering how did they removed the couch so quickly Maxlugar.....

Hey....talking 'bout that... I remembered of something Jay had to ask you, but never had the time and chance....

Despite your anger toward Woody's lack of efforts concerning his technical skills with that guitar nowadays and your apreciation of Taylor's possible return, does Macky (Internet saviour, as seen on the Reality Show "Action at the Couch") disliked even Ronald Wood's playing in the period pre 78?

Awaiting reply!

Jay!
July 1st, 2005 10:47 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
I'm wondering how did they removed the couch so quickly Maxlugar.....

Hey....talking 'bout that... I remembered of something Jay had to ask you, but never had the time and chance....

Despite your anger toward Woody's lack of efforts concerning his technical skills with that guitar nowadays and your apreciation of Taylor's possible return, does Macky (Internet saviour, as seen on the Reality Show "Action at the Couch") disliked even Ronald Wood's playing in the period pre 78?

Awaiting reply!

Jay!

I might add that no doubt, it is certainly a great query.
July 1st, 2005 11:09 AM
Maxlugar Well, thanks for the question, Jay, I'll try and answer as honestly as I can.

In 1975, Woody was fresh off replacing the hot as lava Mick Taylor and was in fact a hired hand for the tour. His playing is sharp, fast and full of tone and heart. I am on record as saying his leads on Wild Horses and Angie are among my favorites of any Stones quitar player. I am especially fond of the second Wild Horses solo. Completely gorgeous notes he's playing there.

His playing from there has gotten worse but still very good and energetic to a point. All the way through 1982, I have no problem with him.

It is from '89 up through a lot but not all of the last tour, I feel he has become a lazy clown, culminating in his most embarrassing performance ever with Jeff Beck a year ago.

He still does it in spots but chooses not to. He has not lost his ability he is lazy. He should never have been given full band status. It made him too comfortable and laid back. He is cheating us.

THAT to me is worse than just picking up and moving on like Mick Taylor did.

He is is a lazy, clowning, mugging, waving, pickup-the paycheck-and screw-the audience-out-of-a-solid-performace waste product.

There you have it, Jay.

I'll take a follow-up question, if you've got one. Then I've got to get back to Reggae Week at "The Couch".

[Edited by Maxlugar]
July 1st, 2005 11:35 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Well, thanks for the question, Jay, I'll try and answer as honestly as I can.

In 1975, Woody was fresh off replacing the hot as lava Mick Taylor and was in fact a hired hand for the tour. His playing is sharp, fast and full of tone and heart. I am on record as saying his leads on Wild Horses and Angie are among my favorites of any Stones quitar player. I am especially fond of the second Wild Horses solo. Completely gorgeous notes he's playing there.

His playing from there has gotten worse but still very good and energetic to a point. All the way through 1982, I have no problem with him.

It is from '89 up through a lot but not all of the last tour, I feel he has become a lazy clown, culminating in his most embarrassing performance ever with Jeff Beck a year ago.

He still does it in spots but chooses not to. He has not lost his ability he is lazy. He should never have been given full band status. It made him too comfortable and laid back. He is cheating us.

THAT to me is worse than just picking up and moving on like Mick Taylor did.

He is is a lazy, clowning, mugging, waving, pickup-the paycheck-and screw-the audience-out-of-a-solid-performace waste product.

There you have it, Jay.

I'll take a follow-up question, if you've got one. Then I've got to get back to Reggae Week at "The Couch".

[Edited by Maxlugar]

I appreciate the attention you gave to my question Maxlugar.

Jay now understands the reason this brave Yankee usufruct of his own place and the fame it brought (The Couch - http://www.maxlugar.com)

Have a nice 4th July!

By the way, another question that would follow this knowledgeable reply could be the same spot of view regarding Keith's lazyness.

July 1st, 2005 11:43 AM
FPM C10
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
Jay now understands the reason this brave Yankee usufruct of his own place and the fame it brought (The Couch - http://www.maxlugar.com)

Usufruct?

USUFRUCT?

Jay Jay, you are of course my good friend, and a posting giant in your own right, and I hope it will not damage our mutual respect and admiration when I say:

WTF????

Maxy is my C10 brother, whom I have shared a booze with, and I swear the GOD when I hear him called a usufruct, my skin turns to chicken!

It's usufruct up!
July 1st, 2005 11:47 AM
Maxlugar Frankly Jay, I think Keiths problems may be more physical than Laziness. I think he should be applauded for coming out every few years and playing through what must be horrible pain with those fingers. I think his playing has actually improved the last few tours, by the way. It's debatable, but to me he's playing more bottom end. Thicker. And I value that.

But I think he's in pain. That would be my short answer.

That, and he needs to strap on the occassional Les Paul again.

Thanks for the question, Jay.

July 1st, 2005 12:02 PM
Nellcote Say what you want about Ron Wood.
Without him, we would not be talking
about a band called the Rolling Stones in 2005
as Mick Taylor was never, and is never coming back to the band. Don't forget that point.
Tell Sherman to kick the wayback machine to a more reality based timeframe, Rocket J Squirrel would say.
Ron Wood was the glue to hold this band together.
You can ask Bill Wyman for clarity towards this point.

July 1st, 2005 12:12 PM
Maxlugar [quote]Nellcote wrote:
Say what you want about Ron Wood.

I'll thank Mick Jagger for that, thank you.

HE kept it all together during the 70's, you can ask Keith about that if you like.

Yes Ron Wood reinvigorated them when he first joined. I think I acknowleded that in part. I gave full out props to him for 75, and through '82 he is damn good.

He is now a complete and utter failure on stage. He is certainly not giving me my $179.00 per ticket in the 3rd level worth lately. I'll thank Mick again for that. Charlie too.

Are you actually defending his performance since '89?

July 1st, 2005 12:13 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Say what you want about Ron Wood.
as Mick Taylor was never, and is never coming back to the band. Don't forget that point.
Tell Sherman to kick the wayback machine to a more reality based timeframe, Rocket J Squirrel would say.
Ron Wood was the glue to hold this band together.
You can ask Bill Wyman for clarity towards this point.

And I'm affraid you are bloody correct on this sir. Anyway.... my question had nothing to do with Jay's personal reactions, but it's based in the curiosity of Jay on knowledgeable Maxlugar's thoughts.
July 1st, 2005 12:30 PM
Nellcote I guess I loathe this Ron Wood bashing.
It is entirely possible that at anytime
during the latter Stones period of 89-03,any member
of the band may have had moments, but who are we to judge this?
Are we playing for millions, and raking in the same?
No, we are grousing on an internet board.
Are there moments where Ron seems like a cartoon?
Sure, I watch Rio '98, Charlotte '99, the video for Rock In A Hard Place,and wince at moments. Maybe he should have gotten off the booze sooner, however, if you've never been in the throws of that disease, you do not know how hard it is to kick the bottle.
I liked the Taylor years, saw them in '72 & 75.
While his leads were good, not great, the power was all Keith.
When Woody came on board, it revitalized them.
You cannot deny the slide of No Expectations from Licks,
or the pedal steel of Far Away Eyes, or the guitar of Street Fighting Man during that tour
While there are less stellar moments in the period of 89-03,
there are more than most bands who have been around for the amount of time The Stones have to not have them diminished
into a parody of their former self.
You know what? I'll take them anytime, and will pay towards seeing them, as I am for now three shows.
Enjoy the ride towards the inevitable...

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)