ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Brian
© Retna with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Steve Jordan in John Mayer Trio Return to archive
June 29th, 2005 11:47 AM
Mel Belli For Immediate Release
June 29, 2005

JOHN MAYER TRIO FORMED; FALL TOUR ANNOUNCED

Acclaimed Artist Teams With All-Star Players Steve Jordan and Pino
Palladino;
Ray LaMontagne and Joss Stone Already Confirmed as Special Guests

www.johnmayertrio.com Launches Today

(dateline - New York, NY - June 29, 2005; source: Columbia Records)

Never one to rest on his laurels, three-time Grammy-winning, multi-platinum-selling writer/singer/guitarist John Mayer announces the formation of John Mayer Trio. This new venture marks the next phase in the remarkable evolution of a gifted, adventurous and prolific young artist who, in just the last few months, has performed and/or recorded with Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, John Scofield and Herbie Hancock, among others.

Joining Mayer in this new undertaking are drummer Steve Jordan (Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones) and bassist Pino Palladino (the Who, Jeff Beck), a pair of in-demand veterans who are readily acknowledged by their peers as the very best at their respective instruments. Mayer is thrilled that these two greats have chosen to join him in his latest musical adventure.

"Steve and I had been doing sessions together, and we were scheduled to do the Tsunami Aid benefit," Mayer recalls. "So Steve said, 'I know who we can get--Pino Palladino.' I said, 'I'd love to play with Pino.' Pino came and we rehearsed Jimi Hendrix's 'Bold as Love' for the benefit. And something happened that I had hoped my entire life would happen, which is that thing about how a band got together for the first time, and everyone in the room just knew there was something special. When it became me, Steve and Pino, it became this whole different thing. That set me off on a writing streak; the challenge was, 'Here's this great band - now what are you gonna do with it?' So I went and wrote from a whole new place. So it became a band."

The trio--who subsequently appeared at the 2005 Grammy Awards ceremony performing a captivating rendition of Mayer's "Daughters" (which took home that evening's awards for Song of the Year and Best Male Pop Vocal Performance)--will unveil their electrified sound on a fall tour of North America , including three dates with the Rolling Stones (dates below). Ray LaMontagne and Joss Stone have been confirmed as special guests on selected shows, while other support acts are still to be announced.

Mayer's fans are already familiar with his guitar skills and willingness to push the envelope of his music from having attended his concerts, but expect this stripped-down configuration to take these elements to another level altogether, as he answers the musical challenges provided by his gifted bandmates. "This trio tour isn't just an excuse to blow on the guitar," says Mayer. "It's an opportunity to present my fans with something live, in the sense of living now--that classic palate. I want people to show up at the gig and see the amp lights glowing and hear that idling buzz. I just want to bring people that power."

This new venture is a testament to the tremendous respect Mayer has for his fans, as he continues to provide them with new musical permutations in the knowledge that they'll willingly go wherever he chooses to take them. These fans understand that Mayer is a restless spirit with an ongoing need to test the limits; indeed, that restlessness is the essence of his appeal - it defines who he is and the path he's traveling. "I have a whole new appetite for something different," Mayer enthuses. "I want people to feel, and share, this excitement that I have."

John Mayer Trio Fall Tour

9/6 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore
9/7 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore
9/10 Las Vegas, NV House of Blues
9/11 San Diego, CA House of Blues
9/13 Anaheim, CA House of Blues
9/14 Los Angeles, CA House of Blues
9/15 Los Angeles, CA House of Blues
9/17 Denver, CO Fillmore
9/19 Kansas City, MO Uptown
9/21 Chicago, IL House of Blues
9/22 Chicago, IL House of Blues
9/23 Minneapolis, MN Quest
9/24 Milwaukee, WI Eagles Ballroom
9/26 Nashville, TN Ryman
9/27 New Orleans, LA House of Blues
9/28 Atlanta, GA Tabernacle
9/30 Orlando, FL House of Blues
10/1 Myrtle Beach, SC House of Blues
10/3 Washington DC MCI Center (with Rolling Stones)
10/4 Cleveland, OH House of Blues
10/6 New York, NY The Beacon
10/10 Philadelphia, PA Wachovia (with Rolling Stones)
10/11 Boston, MA Avalon
10/12 Philadelphia, PA Wachovia (with Rolling Stones)

# # # # #

June 29th, 2005 11:49 AM
jb John Mayer's vocal delivery and lip/mouth movement is quite unpleasent.
June 29th, 2005 12:40 PM
gimmekeef jb..guess what?..I'm 100% in agreement!..I hate this guys whining songs that all sound the same drippy crap....And I've always found Jordans drumming to be too much the same.Actually found him a bit annoying in the Winos for that reason...Course compared to Charlie...well......
June 29th, 2005 10:08 PM
Steel Wheels Mayer is a snooze fest, fellas. Jordan should break out into some Winos drum rolls and blow him off of the stage.
June 29th, 2005 10:40 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Steve Jordan was in Ottawa this past weekend for the International Jazz Festival. He was drumming with Sonny Rollins band.
[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
June 30th, 2005 07:11 AM
luxury1 Does anyone from NYC remember the 24th St. Band (i am talking 1979-1980)?? WIll Lee on bass, Jordan on drums, Cliff something on keyboards, Hiriam Bullock on guitar?? They were David Letterman;s band for awhile. Damn, that was some line up.
WIll Lee is a nut. I have partied HARD with that man. He is of Keith stature in that department. Still around and kickin it though. Good for him.
June 30th, 2005 08:13 AM
Bitch Thanks for the article. John Mayer Trio is one of the opening acts I'll be attending, which I am not particularly looking forward to. If the other 2 members of the trio are veterans, it may be better than I was expecting. Hopefully.

An interesting fact - the John Mayer fan club is (was) selling presale tickets to the STONES concerts to it's members where John opens. I think it cost $25 to join.
June 30th, 2005 09:27 PM
Soldatti I like John Mayer, I heard some great songs from this guy.
June 30th, 2005 10:32 PM
chevysales
quote:
Bitch wrote:
Thanks for the article. John Mayer Trio is one of the opening acts I'll be attending, which I am not particularly looking forward to. If the other 2 members of the trio are veterans, it may be better than I was expecting. Hopefully.

An interesting fact - the John Mayer fan club is (was) selling presale tickets to the STONES concerts to it's members where John opens. I think it cost $25 to join.

john mayer plays a lot of stuff much different than what you hear of him on the radio...he played the crossroads festival in texas and was quite good and a real shocker to me as i never imagined him to play like that. some real good guitar players like beck, clapton, bb king, vaughan, joe perry, joe walsh, etc.
July 1st, 2005 12:16 AM
T&A Ray LaMontagne's 2004 debut was the best album I heard all year. He's got a little bit of Otis in his singing style that's uncanny....
July 1st, 2005 02:18 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
Does anyone from NYC remember the 24th St. Band (i am talking 1979-1980)?? WIll Lee on bass, Jordan on drums, Cliff something on keyboards, Hiriam Bullock on guitar?? They were David Letterman;s band for awhile. Damn, that was some line up.
WIll Lee is a nut. I have partied HARD with that man. He is of Keith stature in that department. Still around and kickin it though. Good for him.

Will Lee plays in Hiram Bullocks band. X-Pensive Wino Charley Drayton is the drummer.

seems that they cancel more gigs than they play though.

Charley Drayton is one bad mofo!
July 1st, 2005 02:29 PM
ResidentMule he's a good player. I'm realy looking forward to seeing him open for the Stones. I can understand anyone who says his voice is annoying but I'm sure at least a few people seeing him open at Wachovia or DC will change their minds after the show

his bass player in the new trio is also the guy who took over for John Entwistle after he died
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)