ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Brian
© Retna with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAΡOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Patti Smith European Tour 2005 Return to archive
June 29th, 2005 07:46 AM
ListenToTheLion Enjoy!

Patti Smith is the curator of this year's Meltdown festival at the Royal Festival Hall in London. A complete schedule of the many events can be found on the Royal Festival Hall's Web site

June 27th — Milan, Teatro Dal Verme
June 28th — Udine, Udine castle
June 30th — Modena, Music Village
July 1st — La Spezia, Giardini Parco Allende
July 2nd — Arbatax, Piazza Rocce Rosse
July 5th — Cosenza, Piazza XV Marzo
July 6th — Chieti, Amphitheater La Civitelle
July 8th — Paris, Solidays Festival , Hippodrome de Longchamps
July 9th — Lerida, Senglar Rock Lleida, Spain.
July 13th — Athens, Lycabetus Theatre

July 24 (3 p.m.) — Camden, NJ Wiggins Park WXPN All About The Music Festival
Aug 4 — New York City, Central Park Summerstage

Aug 13th — Lokersen Feesten, Belgium
Aug 14th — Leicester Summer Sundae, U.K.
Aug 16th — Brighton Dome U.K.
Aug 18th — Amsterdam Paradiso
Aug 20 and 21 — Bochum Jahrhunderthalle Century of Song RuhrTriennale
Aug 22 — Alzey, Germany Schlosshof — Open Air
Aug 24 — Vienna Open Air Arena
Aug 26 — Prague Archa Theatre
Aug 28 — Arhus Train
Aug 29 — Copenhagen Amager Bio
Aug 31 — Helsinki Festival

More to announce soon
June 29th, 2005 08:24 AM
keith_tif only one gig in France, Grrr! Grrrr!
June 29th, 2005 01:11 PM
texile i love this woman - she's really taken her music to a different place with her activist voice.....
the live 8 people are irrelevant, THIS is real activist music.
June 29th, 2005 01:19 PM
glencar BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 29th, 2005 01:30 PM
texile what's boring? activist music? i agree,it's
horrible term as it conjures up images of staight long hair and dorm rooms and cheap acoustic guitars inane lyrics...
but patti brings that punk edge to it and she knows her shit.
besides, fred's death gave her a sense of duty -
a fire and passion for injustice......
her message is visceral.
June 29th, 2005 06:29 PM
ListenToTheLion She just makes good music. I don't like her preaching but she plays rock 'n roll straight from the heart. If you think that's boring than stick to the Bay City Rollers.
June 29th, 2005 06:31 PM
lotsajizz only someone who has not listened to Patti would declare her "boring"...you might not like her, but to use the characterization "boring" is just plain ignorant
June 29th, 2005 06:33 PM
ListenToTheLion plain stupid
June 29th, 2005 07:11 PM
MrPleasant Boredom is subjective and isn't necessarily based upon lack of knowledge.
June 29th, 2005 11:09 PM
texile no, but it can be based on lack of .....taste?
June 29th, 2005 11:19 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
texile wrote:
no, but it can be based on lack of .....taste?

Unless you want to pile subjectivy on subjectivity. Which is more or less like painting white over white.
June 29th, 2005 11:45 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Is that truth that Patti tried to commit suicide but had second thoughts and decided not to do it to avoid missing the "next" Rolling Stones album?

June 30th, 2005 12:01 AM
MrPleasant I don't know, but I think she said that Dylan was Rimbaud "in a previous incarnation".

Dylan reportedly said: "I don't know if she's right or wrong, but Patti Smith, then, of course, knows a lot of deep details that I might not be aware of. She might be clued in to something that's a little beyond me. I know at least a dozen women who tell me they were the Queen of Sheba".
June 30th, 2005 12:20 AM
texile white on white - well yes, the concept of subjectivity dilutes everything doesn't it?

patti said that jokingly...
she was talking about how much she loved the stones and said if she ever wanted to commit suicide - she wouldn't be able to because she would miss the next stones...
it's the little things that keep you going.....lol.

June 30th, 2005 02:09 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Is that truth that Patti tried to commit suicide but had second thoughts and decided not to do it to avoid missing the "next" Rolling Stones album?

If this is true it must have happened in the seventies because afterwards it wasn't worth waiting on a Rolling Stones album.....
June 30th, 2005 07:29 AM
Factory Girl I've seen Patti 3 times. She's great, but I could do without the poetry.
June 30th, 2005 08:10 AM
Gazza
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Is that truth that Patti tried to commit suicide but had second thoughts and decided not to do it to avoid missing the "next" Rolling Stones album?

I've heard of that line before, but I got the impression she was taking the piss.

I note that Patti released no albums between 1979 and 1988 - an era which included Dirty Work and Undercover. So maybe she was closer to topping herself than we thought.

I do remember reading a feature written by her on the Stones (I think it was in David Dalton's "The First twenty years") where she quite graphically recalls that the first time she ever orgasmed was when she first saw the Stones on the Ed Sullivan Show ("my first drop of goo in my virgin panties").

T.M.I.
June 30th, 2005 08:23 AM
keith_tif Patty is a very great artist. She said also that she wanted to do music after listening Stones' Satisfaction!

I like her phylosophy, she's engaged! I prefer her to Dylan who played for Pope Jean Paul II.

I compare her to Marianne Faithfull: two great artists. The Stones should take them as example!
June 30th, 2005 10:19 AM
Gazza
quote:
keith_tif wrote:
I like her phylosophy, she's engaged! I prefer her to Dylan who played for Pope Jean Paul II.

Patti included a photo of and a quote from his predecessor (J-P I) on the inner sleeve of "Wave".

Considering she was raised a Catholic and Dylan never has been one, I'm not so sure how radical her take on religion would be
June 30th, 2005 11:48 AM
Martha I read somewhere just recently that Bob called Patti and told her to get back out and play (during a long hiatus) because the people needed to hear her. I think she is the closest thing lyrically speaking to a female Bob, on some level anyway. Her work stands the test of time......out of mind. :-) I love Trampin'

We've never seen Patti live (yet) and hope she will be gracing us with shows this Fall, while Bob is out of the country touring and visiting with Gary.

FG you are the one who got me into Patti and I cannot thank you very much and very kindly enough!

peace out,
MM
June 30th, 2005 11:52 AM
glencar I didn't mean Patti Smith's music was boring. I was only referring to texile's post. I saw her in teh alte 70's at Wollman Rink in NYC & she was superb. As almost everyone else has said, I could do w/o the political rants. Shut up & sing, as the great lady says!
June 30th, 2005 12:22 PM
Factory Girl Wow, Martha!! Thanks very much!! Yeah, Patti is the real deal!

Btw, I'm working on your present, but I'll be in sunny Fla. next week!!
June 30th, 2005 12:45 PM
jb I like her...saw her on Lettrman a few yrs back...she is cool..I still don't think she shaves(?)
June 30th, 2005 02:03 PM
texile hairy armpits and political ranting....
that's my kind of artist.
June 30th, 2005 02:17 PM
Saint Sway Patti Smith's longtime bassist Tony Shanahan plays on Black Crowes guitarist Rich Robinson's live album. They do a kiler version of MEMO FROM TURNER!!!

also has a great cover of The Bands "Dont Do It" and the Gram Parsons/Emylou Harris duet "Green Pastures"

good live rock and roll album!

check it out here: http://www.richrobinson.net/detail-paper.htm

cheers!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)