ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Brian
© Retna with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan signs deal with Starbucks Return to archive
June 28th, 2005 10:35 AM
Ten Thousand Motels DYLAN SIGNS DEAL WITH STARBUCKS

Rock superstar BOB DYLAN has signed a new deal to allow an exclusive CD of his music to be sold in branches of Starbucks Coffee.

DYLAN: LIVE AT THE GASLIGHT 1962 will feature 10 previous unreleased tracks recorded at the beginning of his career in New York's famous Gaslight Cafe - and will only be available to fans who visit a branch of Starbucks.

Dylan is the latest in a string of stars to sign deals with the company, who have become a massive force in the American music industry - a quarter of sales of the late RAY CHARLES' recent album GENIUS LOVES COMPANY, a staggering 775,000, were sold at Starbucks.

28/06/2005 02:04
contactmusic.com
June 28th, 2005 10:40 AM
Gazza Jesus. What next

Those Gaslight Tapes are sorta "semi official" anyway and at various times over the years you could buy them on vinyl in your local high street record shop or legitimately by mail order under various titles (theres a pair I have from the mid 80's called "historical Archives" Vols. 1 and 2. I think they contain the Gaslight and Finjan Club (Montreal) shows both from the same year)

I think they were originally officially released in Italy. There was a copyright loophole in that live recordings more than 25 or 30 years old were considered "public domain".
June 28th, 2005 10:46 AM
Saint Sway I guess this is sorta full circle for Zim.

He started out playing for tips in coffee houses and now he's raking it in with a sweet distribution deal at the nations biggest corporate coffee chain.

way to go Bob. Keep it up, and maybe someday you can be as big a whore as the Stones are.
June 28th, 2005 10:50 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Jesus. What next

Those Gaslight Tapes are sorta "semi official" anyway and at various times over the years you could buy them on vinyl in your local high street record shop or legitimately by mail order under various titles (theres a pair I have from the mid 80's called "historical Archives" Vols. 1 and 2. I think they contain the Gaslight and Finjan Club (Montreal) shows both from the same year)

I think they were originally officially released in Italy. There was a copyright loophole in that live recordings more than 25 or 30 years old were considered "public domain".

i suspect that copies of the new U2 album will only be available from proctologist when purchased in conjunction with an enema. The album will be called "Pipe Cleansing"
June 28th, 2005 10:56 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Jeez, relax.

Like Gazza said, the huge fans of Dylan already have these tapes in one semi-legal form or another. Dylan knows the fans of his early acoustic period are now, by and large, the corporate monkeys and jet-setting upper-middle class suburban urbanites that populate Starbucks who trained at weed-puffin' coffee guzzlin' law schools and medical residences all across the country. He is, in effect, giving those people what they want. Besides, he saw how well the Ray Charles CD did. He wants a piece of the pie there. As Bill Wyman said, Bob Dylan doesn't exactly make "McCartney money."

I am pissed that this is going to be something "Starbucks Exclusive" because I think legitimate music outlets deserve this as well. But I'll still go see the guy and play his music and so forth. He's not "selling out" - if you'd like, you could claim he sold out at almost any point during his career. Hell, I know guys who think Bob Dylan died when he crashed his motorcycle in '66 and all the music that came after was never up to par. But this CD doesn't shock me. It would shock me if someone like, say, Neil Young did this because he's been so adamantly opposed to it. Dylan's never come out against any of this stuff.
June 28th, 2005 10:58 AM
GimmeExile I think it's a great idea. Rather than calling someone a whore, wouldn't it be wiser to acknowledge that music distribution is changing and it makes sense to adapt to evolution?
June 28th, 2005 11:00 AM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I guess this is sorta full circle for Zim.

He started out playing for tips in coffee houses and now he's raking it in with a sweet distribution deal at the nations biggest corporate coffee chain.

way to go Bob. Keep it up, and maybe someday you can be as big a whore as the Stones are.

If he lives until he's 300 he might just end up that way. Even then, its doubtful

Loved the 'full circle' observation about the coffee houses. Thats a cracker.
June 28th, 2005 11:09 AM
Saint Sway I just wonder what that young Woodie Guthrie disciple would of sung about this?

but you guys are right.

its not like he's acting in any lingerie ads or anything
June 28th, 2005 11:10 AM
glencar Alanis Morrissette released the acoustic version of her "Jagged Little Pill" CD through Starbucks for the 1st 6 weeks. Traditional record stores have more competition than they used to. That can only be good for the consumers.
June 28th, 2005 12:26 PM
Martha One more cup of coffee for I go to the valley below! LOL

Bob is no money whore and he never will be.....but when it comes to the women..........now that's another matter entirely. :-)

His show was spectacular Sunday in Eastlake. It was my 22 show and counting.

He actually did the funky chicken while standing at his keyboard over and over....and he did the hip shake too.

He was lookin' out at the crowd and the taper section
(he must have smelled TMR's presence! LOL) all evening long. I snaked my way over to the taper section and hung with TMR for the last 4 songs....I'd never done that before. It was a cool experience standing still and not making a sound forced me to watch Bob more closely than I normally do. Thanks TMR!

I'll never forget this night because it was simply delightful. Bob came center stage 4 times rather than just twice like he was doing when we saw him in Chicago and Detroit this spring. He was in fine fiddle Sunday evening and I love seeing him when he's in that mood. He blessed the crowd with his harmonica at the very end of the show over and over again and he was gesturing a lot into space not at the band, but at who knows who/what, which I hadn't seen him do at any of theother shows we've attended. He's an imp. :-)

We hope to be in Louisville tomorrow to see him one more time on the ballpark tour, but it all depends on when Chris has to talk to his boss about his job and the move we are making. I really hope we still get to go!

Larry Dallas I need to talk to you!

Anyone else going to that gig?

xxoo,
Martha the Music Pharey
June 28th, 2005 03:08 PM
Madafaka
quote:
glencar wrote:
Alanis Morrissette released the acoustic version of her "Jagged Little Pill" CD through Starbucks for the 1st 6 weeks. Traditional record stores have more competition than they used to. That can only be good for the consumers.

Yep, I've seen that in another website.
Is Starbucks as big as Mc Donald's (for example)?
June 28th, 2005 03:28 PM
pdog
quote:
Madafaka wrote:

Is Starbucks as big as Mc Donald's (for example)?

Damn close. We've got a 24 hours Starbucks in SF...
They are bigger than US Steel...

June 28th, 2005 10:03 PM
Soldatti Alanis Morrissette's last album sold almost 60,000 copies the first week at Starbucks, it looks like a great deal.
June 28th, 2005 11:37 PM
Martha I never go to Starbucks. I didn't like their coffee when I first tried it a long time ago. I'm missing out on all the corporate ping pong games.
June 28th, 2005 11:45 PM
Madafaka
quote:
pdog wrote:

Damn close. We've got a 24 hours Starbucks in SF...
They are bigger than US Steel...

So, looks like a good deal to sell a cd exclusively 24 hs. per day!
Thank you for the info pdog
June 29th, 2005 01:24 AM
texile wtf - he was in a victoria's secret commercial......
does it matter anymore?
i still have my jello biafra....
June 29th, 2005 01:52 AM
pdog
quote:
texile wrote:
wtf - he was in a victoria's secret commercial......
does it matter anymore?
i still have my jello biafra....

Jello was at a gig my friends played. He went just to check them out... I'm glad The DK's won the court shit against him. There's some things about him and money that ain't too cool. He's allright, no ones perfect, even rebels!
Check these guys out.

http://www.blackfuries.com/home.htm

They're pretty rocking. I'm taking my daughter to go see them with Throw Rag in two weeks.
[Edited by my penis]
[Edited by pdog]
June 29th, 2005 02:17 AM
stonedinaustralia good old bob

he never ceases to amaze and surprise
June 29th, 2005 02:55 AM
Child of the Moon Hey, this means I get 30% off on the disc because I'm an employee. Bee-otches.
June 29th, 2005 01:49 PM
texile yeah - the dispute with the dks...it sucked -
but he's still raging against the machine ....
June 29th, 2005 01:54 PM
texile damn pdog - i'd forgotten about that mess ...because i discovered the dk thing after the fact..(was a little late on that)
now i'm dissolusioned....
still the best band name ever;
before i new anything about the dks, i just knew the name -i was watching a documentary on the kennedy family tragedies and thought..'holy shit the DEAD KENNEDYS - that's perfect!'
June 29th, 2005 02:12 PM
FPM C10
quote:
pdog wrote:

Jello was at a gig my friends played...He's allright, no ones perfect, even rebels!

I met Jello in '86 or '87. My drummer and I were in a club in NYC - The Ritz I think - and ran into him at the bar. He hung out and talked to us for an hour.

It was right when he was being crucified by the PMRC. Our band went home and did a benefit for him a week or two later.

He was a fairly righteous guy back then. Don't know what's happened in the interim.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)