ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Brian
© Retna with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tour schedule (confirmed dates) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
May 19th, 2005 04:38 PM
erikjjf From IORR:
Two shows at the Fleet Center in Boston, January 2006.
May 21st, 2005 08:13 AM
corgi37 Good luck to all of you, but its looking mighty bloody grim that they wont come to Oz.
May 22nd, 2005 07:07 AM
charlotte Appearing with the Stones in Charlotte:

May 19, 2005
Next!
By RUTH LA FERLA
ON television, Gap's new pitchwoman caresses a microphone and croons "The Right Time," an old Ray Charles ballad. Dressed in a tank top, beads and white jeans, she radiates a neo-hippie charm.

She is Joss Stone, the 18-year-old soul singer from Devon, England, who has a best-selling CD and three Grammy nominations under her paisley silk belt. Now Gap is about to find out whether her youthful appeal will play to a broader market. It has signed the lissome Ms. Stone to replace its previous "it" girl, Sarah Jessica Parker, whose nine-month stint as the face of the company coincided with a relentless decline in sales.

News that Ms. Stone had supplanted Ms. Parker set fashion industry tongues wagging. At 40, Ms. Parker is old enough to be Ms. Stone's mother: too old, and too closely tied to her high-fashion "Sex and the City" image, some marketing experts said.

In hiring Ms. Parker, the Gap "fell into a real trap, and that trap was that they wanted to be something more than they were," said Robert Passikoff, the president of Brand Keys, a market research company in New York. Enlisting the Manolo-shod Ms. Parker to sell sportswear basics "looked largely like an act of desperation," he said.

Although Gap does not blame Ms. Parker for its business woes, the experience highlights the difficulty many companies face in creating a credible match with a celebrity endorser, one that forges a bond with consumers and pumps up sales. Ubiquitous today - Robert De Niro shills for American Express, James Earl Jones for Verizon, Anna Nicole Smith for TrimSpa - the celebrity endorsement game is one the fashion industry often seems ill equipped to play.

Whereas marketers in other fields might spend weeks or months vetting potential endorsers, using consumer surveys and focus groups, fashion companies commonly rely on a designer's instinct, a strategy that some say does not necessarily work. Versace, for example, uses Madonna in magazine ads this spring in which she makes like a mogul sheathed in the company's exuberantly colorful silks. She was selected after a casual dinner conversation, said Jason Weisenfeld, a public relations consultant who works with the company.

She was dining at Cipriani in London in October with Donatella Versace, the company's designer, and Mario Testino, who had photographed a 1994 Versace campaign featuring Madonna. Reminiscing about what fun they had had, the three decided to repeat the experience. Ms. Versace explained in a statement, "When we feel there is a connection and the synergies work, then we make it happen."

Yet some marketing experts judge the partnership a failure. "The campaign has no sizzle," said Steven Stoute, a record company producer turned marketing executive, whose clients include Hewlett-Packard. "At this point in time who is going to be surprised or inspired by a match between Madonna and Donatella Versace?" (Madonna will be replaced this fall by another familiar face, Demi Moore, according to news reports, which the company did not confirm.)

By contrast, before Mr. Stoute arranged for Gwen Stefani to design and endorse Hewlett-Packard's new Harajuku Lovers digital camera, he sent squads of researchers to malls around the country to ascertain the star's cool factor and study her record sales. "When you're paying that kind of money to get a star you ought to make sure you're getting buzz," he said.

The consensus of fashion marketers is that celebrities are more effective than models now in imprinting a brand in the customer's mind. It is a strategy as old as advertising itself, but it is relatively new to the fashion world. As little as a half-dozen years ago, most A-list entertainers were reluctant to moonlight as fashion models, fearing that they would be seen as selling out or attempting to resuscitate a fading career. Such concerns subsided in the wake of high-profile deals involving hip actresses like Chloe Sevigny, who modeled for H&M; Drew Barrymore, who posed for Prada; and Gwyneth Paltrow, who touted Dior in a handbag ad four years ago.

Today the role of celebrity endorser has lost nearly every shred of stigma. "You can't toss a crumpled piece of paper without some star saying, 'Give me a contract,' " Mr. Passikoff said.

Fashion companies today are so reliant on endorsers that they practice celebrity speed-dating, courting and then discarding stars with increasing rapidity. Two years ago Louis Vuitton hired Jennifer Lopez to promote its status handbags, then replaced her less than a year later with starlets including Diane Kruger and Scarlett Johansson. Now it has ushered them out and enlisted Uma Thurman to appear in ads for its cherry-emblazoned monogram bags.

Reebok hired Jay-Z and 50 Cent to contribute design ideas and glower in ads. It has recently signed the sullen-faced actress Christina Ricci to mug alongside the slogan "I Am What I Am."

Paradoxically the phenomenon is gathering steam in an era when celebrities have never been more tarnished by overexposure.

Before the Web became a wind tunnel of celebrity gossip, before cable channels like VH1 and magazines like In Touch began documenting stars' every hiccup and wheeze, "celebrities seemed special," said Ed Burstell, a New York retail consultant. "Now it's, quick, you're in, you're out, and you are disposable. At the end of the day your presence doesn't mean anything."

Advertisers counter that the stars are not going to wear out their welcome any time soon. Consumers have grown accustomed to, and even expect, a high rate of turnover, which mirrors the way that fashion itself is consumed. "This is the 'Gray is the new navy' industry," said Eric Hirschberg, a managing partner and executive creative director of Deutsch Inc. in New York, whose clients include Tommy Hilfiger. "Currency is everything. It's all about what or who is the next must-have."

The most successful celebrity-brand alliances match a star whose image is an organic fit with that of a brand, experts say. In the consumer's mind the two become all but interchangeable. Uma Thurman is sophisticated yet unpredictable, the same image Louis Vuitton has cultivated; Michelle Pfeiffer is mysterious and quietly elegant, reflecting the spirit of Giorgio Armani designs, one reinforced by the dark glasses she wears in the latest Armani ads.

Now Gap is hoping that Ms. Stone will embody the company's relaxed style in a way that Ms. Parker apparently did not.

In the case of both stars, the company acknowledges, it conducted only minimal market research and, following the practice of the fashion industry, relied most on the tastes of its creative executives.

Asked to find a personality to embody the company's white jeans, a look Gap stores are aggressively promoting for spring, Trey Laird, Gap's creative director, said he started with a song, "The Right Time," a blues standard. Then he chased down a contemporary artist who could endow it with new life. His musical instincts led him to Ms. Stone.

Her freshness and simplicity contrast markedly with Ms. Parker's sophistication, which worked against the Gap in the view of a number of outside marketers. "She is imprinted on everyone's mind as one thing," said Mr. Burstell, the retail consultant, a former general manager of Henri Bendel, "and that's 'designer,' not khaki."

Jeff Jones, the Gap's executive vice president for marketing, replied that Ms. Parker does not bear the blame for the company's lackluster performance of late. "The clothes she wore in the ads sold to an item," he said. "But from a business perspective that momentum didn't halo to more products."

Last September, a month after Gap unveiled the Parker campaign - in which she appeared in television and print ads, as well as in posters in store windows, for a reported $38 million - sales dipped 3 percent at stores open at least a year, compared with the same month a year earlier. They slid 3 percent in December and 9 percent in January, and declined in each of the subsequent months as well.

Mr. Jones faults the chain's product mix, which was too heavily weighted toward fashion items like cigarette jeans and flouncy tops. The company, the largest specialty store chain in the country with $7.24 million in annual sales, hopes to do better with Ms. Stone, whose tender age and breezy informality are expected to resonate with women who live in the company's khakis, gauzy cotton skirts and jeans.

Ms. Stone is a multiplatinum-selling singer whose voice critics have often compared to Aretha Franklin's. In the two years between the release of her first album, "Soul Sessions," and her latest, "Mind, Body & Soul," she has performed for Bill Clinton and President Bush, has traveled almost incessantly and posed for the cover of the April issue of British Vogue.

Just on the cusp of celebrity, she is the kind of left-of-the dial personality Gap has traditionally embraced, a roster that in the past included Will Ferrell, Ashton Kutcher, Jamie Foxx, Lenny Kravitz and Macy Gray, all of whom modeled or sang in the company's ad campaigns. Her style signatures - hippie beads, peasant skirts and bare feet - "communicate individuality in a very casual, cool, soulful sexy way we see as quintessential Gap," Mr. Jones said.

Consumers of course will have the last word. Late Tuesday, Nicola Wilson, 34, a production worker for a clothing company, wandered through the Gap outpost in Times Square. Shown a portrait of Gap's new "face," she responded instantly. "That's Joss Stone," she said. "She's very soulful and vibe-y. I've seen her in the ads." In Ms. Wilson's view Gap's new commercials are an improvement over those that featured Ms. Parker. "These are just younger and hipper, I think."

Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company
May 23rd, 2005 11:21 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Good luck to all of you, but its looking mighty bloody grim that they wont come to Oz.

Calm down Corgi. I doubt they would arrange a profitable tour without scheduling Oz.

Word!
May 23rd, 2005 04:06 PM
Gazza
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Calm down Corgi. I doubt they would arrange a profitable tour without scheduling Oz.

Word!

they did in 1989/90 and 1997/98. And its beginning to look like 2005/2006 will follow suit
May 23rd, 2005 09:59 PM
corgi37 Suddenly, i am not interested in this tour.

They are too old.

They are just doing it for the money.

Rock is dead.
May 24th, 2005 08:14 AM
J.J.Flash Damn....all this negativeness saddens me.

[Edited by J.J.Flash]
May 24th, 2005 09:55 AM
charlotte When I first saw the Stones in 1972 the show cost me 11% of my net salary, today less than 1%...
May 24th, 2005 06:51 PM
Dan
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Suddenly, i am not interested in this tour.

Me either. Other than following the setlists as they are posted live and collecting boots.

quote:

They are too old.

How old is too old?

quote:

Was it really ever any other way?

quote:

Rock is dead.

Not dead, just buried underground, where it belongs.
May 25th, 2005 08:18 AM
corgi37 When they dont tour here, they can get fucked.

Unless i win the $9mill Powerball tomorrow!
May 25th, 2005 09:45 AM
Matt Lacroix how long do the shows last approx on the Licks tour, because i may have to jump on a train right after. are they 2 or 3 hours?
May 25th, 2005 12:13 PM
Gazza The Stones have never played for three hours and never will.

They'll probably be onstage for around two hours, give or take a few minutes.
May 25th, 2005 12:26 PM
Matt Lacroix thanks a lot
May 25th, 2005 06:39 PM
Madafaka
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Suddenly, i am not interested in this tour.

They are too old.

Rock is dead.

Oz tour is coming, surely... Relax and keep this kind of negatives post out! What can I say if I live in South America?
May 27th, 2005 06:35 PM
mac_daddy some of this might be old news, but i rec'd this today from rs.com...

New Presales Announced

2005-05-27 16:10:09
A second show at San Francisco's SBC Park has been announced!

The Fan Club has been given an allotment of tickets for this and five additional newly on-sale shows.

We've also managed to secure ticket allotments for eight sold-out shows! Allotments of varying sizes will now be available for a limited time for the following shows: Anaheim, San Francisco, East Rutherford, Hartford, Minneapolis, Hershey, Tampa and Philadelphia.

When your presale starts be sure to visit Ticketmaster.com to purchase your tickets.

ROLLING STONES PRESALE TICKET SCHEDULE FOR WEEK 4
CITY VENUE DATE

PRE-MAY 9TH MEMBER PRESALE START TIME
NEW PLATINUM MEMBER PRESALE START TIME
PUBLIC ON-SALE START TIME

San Francisco SBC Park November 15, 2005 Tuesday, May 31
1:00 PM EST Wednesday, June 1
1:00 PM EST Sunday, June 5
1:00 PM EST

Fresno Save Mart Center November 20, 2005 Tuesday, May 31
1:00 PM EST Saturday, June 4
1:00 PM EST

Salt Lake City Delta Center November 22, 2005 Tuesday, May 31
12:00 PM EST Wednesday, June 1
12:00 PM EST Saturday, June 4
12:00 PM EST

Denver Pepsi Center November 24, 2005 Tuesday, May 31
12:00 PM EST Wednesday, June 1
12:00 PM EST Saturday, June 4
12:00 PM EST

Dallas American Airlines Arena November 29, 2005 Tuesday, May 31
11:00 AM EST Wednesday, June 1
11:00 AM EST Saturday, June 4
11:00 AM EST

Houston Toyota Center December 1, 2005 Tuesday, May 31

ROLLING STONES POSTSALE TICKET SCHEDULE FOR WEEK 4
Anaheimn Angel Stadium of Anaheim November 4, 2005 Tuesday, May 31
1:00 PM EST SOLD OUT

San Francisco SBC Park November 13, 2005 Tuesday, May 31
1:00 PM EST SOLD OUT

East Rutherford Giants Stadium September 15, 2005 Tuesday, May 31
10:00 AM EST Wednesday, June 1
10:00 AM EST SOLD OUT

Hartford Rentschler Field August 26, 2005 Tuesday, May 31

Minneapolis Xcel Center September 6, 2005 Tuesday, May 31
11:00 AM EST SOLD OUT

Hershey Hersheypark Stadium October 1, 2005 Tuesday, May 31

Tampa St. Pete Times Forum October 19, 2005 Tuesday, May 31

Philadelphia Wachovia October 10, 2005 Tuesday, May 31

edited to be easier to read...
[Edited by mac_daddy]
May 28th, 2005 11:19 AM
corgi37 Argh! Just to see those dates kills me. That means people are going to see them. 100%.

Oh, the injustice of it all!

Mick!! MICK!!! You 1/2 Aussie you. Come "home".
May 29th, 2005 11:23 PM
Bloozehound any idea when the public tickets might go on sale for those venues listed ?
May 29th, 2005 11:49 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
any idea when the public tickets might go on sale for those venues listed ?

the third time and date is the public on-sale date...

quote:
PRE-MAY 9TH MEMBER PRESALE START TIME
NEW PLATINUM MEMBER PRESALE START TIME
PUBLIC ON-SALE START TIME

May 30th, 2005 12:33 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

Dallas American Airlines Arena November 29, 2005 Tuesday, May 31

not seeing any dates there for these gigs, waz up wit dat ?

to be announced ?
May 30th, 2005 12:34 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

not seeing any date/time listed for the dallas/houston gigs

here:

quote:

i take that to mean that the presale for pre-may 9 club members starts at 11 am est on wednesday, june 1. the fan-club allotment becomes available to all members at the same time and on the same date as the general public on-sale -> saturday, june 4 @ 11 am est...

[Edited by mac_daddy]
May 30th, 2005 12:39 AM
Bloozehound thanks bro!

May 31st, 2005 03:54 AM
Daethgod keep the faith corgster

the boys will come to Oz...... i hope

NZ is rumoured so they MUST come here and visit us again

June 2nd, 2005 01:44 AM
corgi37 Keep the faith! Bon Jovi, i love you!!

Maybe Daeth. All hope is not dead. To date, very little has emerged about the tour after U.S. Though, the Sth America dates really go into "our" window of opportunity.

I wont give up hope until Christmas. If no announcement by then, then i will hate them forever. Where did you hear about N.Z.?
June 2nd, 2005 09:10 PM
Daethgod hey corgs

it's by no means a 'confirmation' but its the first positive story on a visit near us ...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=100&ObjectID=10127754

Rolling Stones and U2 could play at Auckland's new arena

by Bernard Orsman

The Rolling Stones and U2 could play in Auckland next year at the city's new $80 million indoor arena at Quay Park.

The possibility of bringing two of the world's biggest rock 'n' roll bands to Auckland was put forward yesterday at a naming rights announcement for the 12,200-seat facility.

It has been named the Vector Arena under a 10-year, multimillion-dollar deal with the Auckland power company.

Vector Arena chief executive Bruce Mactaggart said there was "more than a chance" U2 and the Rolling Stones would play in Auckland, subject to timing and economics.

U2 will next year tour Australia, which was bumped from the band's Vertigo World Tour this year in favour of an expanded US leg.

The Rolling Stones, into their fifth decade of playing rock 'n' roll, have announced a global tour stretching into next year.

The arena is expected to end a drought of top entertainers avoiding the city because of the lack of a world-class indoor facility.

British rock star David Bowie skipped Auckland last year in favour of Wellington.

Mr Mactaggart said the arena would be a world-class entertainment and sporting venue that could handle 54 tonnes of lighting and sound equipment in the roof for the biggest rock shows on Earth and would have a floor big enough for three full-sized netball courts.
June 2nd, 2005 09:29 PM
Daethgod hey corgi

found his reply to my ' Any Aussie tour news' post on rs.com

" Stones were really unhappy with response on last tour of OZ 2003. You people need to be more excited. The Who were also disappointed last summer 2004. Aussies are losing their sense of Rock n Roll. It's sad. New Zealand will be the surprise and those in OZ will have to fly over."

man lets hope we dont have to pay thanks to the canvas pant wearing knobjockeys who sat down thru most of the gig ...

hey do u need a passport to get to NZ from OZ ?

June 6th, 2005 03:20 AM
corgi37 Really unhappy with the response? What did they expect? $350 for the best seats for a no-frills show! Geez, they tour here twice in 32 years, and its like WE OWE THEM!!

They only toured 1/2 the country after all. I thought they got a good response. 3 shows in Melbourne was ok. They wouldnt do any more, and wouldnt have sold any more. Who do they think they are? Neil Diamond? The Eagles? Kylie? The Wiggles?

Same with the Who. What did they expect? No new music for over 20 years, and no tour here since '68! Outright contempt for us from Townsend for over 30 years. Plus, only 2 of them left. God, gimme a break. They were awesome, btw.

Not sure if we need a passport to N.Z. Never had to, but it might have changed. Either way, i have one, and will gladly travel there.

But, realistically, i cant see them coming all this way to only play 1-2 shows in N.Z. and not popping over here.
June 8th, 2005 10:33 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
[...]

But, realistically, i cant see them coming all this way to only play 1-2 shows in N.Z. and not popping over here.

I have the same view on playing just Rio de Janeiro. Of course they won't play one lousy night only in Rio.

Please, does anybody have any updates on South American leg?

P.S.: Does Jay need a passport to Buenos Aires, really??
June 10th, 2005 11:30 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

I have the same view on playing just Rio de Janeiro. Of course they won't play one lousy night only in Rio.

Please, does anybody have any updates on South American leg?

P.S.: Does Jay need a passport to Buenos Aires, really??

Any reply would be deeply appreciated!
June 11th, 2005 12:06 AM
gustavobala I THINK THEY WILL COMES TO SAO PAULO TOO, but they are delay to confirm....

god! i am mad with this....the "real" is strong, then THIS IS THE MOMENT TO CONFIRM IN THIS SOUTH AMERICA LEG!
June 14th, 2005 09:29 AM
corgi37 No news is bad news.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)