ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Estadio de Santo Domingo, El Ejido 30th June 2007
© Francisco Bonilla ¡¡ Gracias !!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick's bro surprised by fuss (Chris in Canada) Return to archive
30th June 2007 04:46 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
Mick's bro surprised by fuss
A touring musician himself, Chris Jagger brings Cajun sounds to Canada
BRAD WHEELER
The Globe & The Mail
June 30, 2007

Mick Jagger singing Dead Flowers is no big deal. Mick Jagger singing the country-rock ditty with his brother Chris though, well, that's something else altogether. A month ago, the British rock icon popped by the Bull's Head, a riverside pub in southwest London where his younger sibling's Cajun-flavoured roots band Atcha! was performing. At one point during the set, the brothers launched into an impromptu version of the Sticky Fingers classic, with Mick drawl-crooning about needles, spoons and basement rooms and Chris (on acoustic guitar) taking the line about talking to the rich folks that you know.

"It was a casual thing," Chris says, from his home in Somerset, England. "Mick stopped by, he was a little grubby." The duet, on a single microphone, was the first ever public performance by the pair. But what amazes Jagger, at 59, four years junior to Mick, was all the fuss. After cellphone footage was posted on YouTube, the Associated Press ran a story on the show a couple of weeks later. "It went around the world," an astonished Jagger says, with a cackled chuckle identical to his brother's. "I find that quite surprising that it made such news. I mean, after all, he's out there doing all concerts every night - that's the norm.

"But he shows up in a little club with 50 people there and it makes headlines," continues Jagger, in middle-class Britspeak "It's a little bizarre, innit?"

Perhaps. But, then again, maybe the world is no longer so occupied with Mick and the Stones. Possibly a minor, more reachable celebrity is what we crave. "Well, you know, there you go," Jagger says, when it's suggested that the pair take their show on the road. "But I can't tell him what to do. He's wedded to those people who come out of Toronto that pay considerable more money than me."

Jagger refers to Michael Cohl, the Toronto-based promoter of all things Rolling Stones. Cohl has his hands full with the World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band at the moment, so, for the time being, Chris Jagger manages by himself. He leads his band Atcha! across Canada for the first time, hitting the Courthouse tomorrow (9 p.m.), as part of the Toronto Jazz Festival.

The band, formed in 1994, has released four albums, including Act of Faith, issued this year in Canada. The recording is earthy and rambunctious - sort of a Ronnie Lane-meets-Zydeco concept - with an ecological bent to some of the lyrics. Asked if he considers himself an environmentalist, Jagger responds simply, "I think everyone has to be these days, don't they? I mean, what's the alternative? A trasher."

In addition to the folky It's Amazing (What People Throw Away), which features guitar help from David Gilmour, the disc includes the zippy accordion fun of Got Me (Where You Want Me) and the slinky DJ Blues, which has brother Mick requesting music long out of fashion.

The album's last track, Nahanni River, arose from a trip Jagger took in the Northwest Territories. After rafting down the "particularly awe-inspiring river," he wrote the song, later performing it at Yellowknife's Yellow Cat Café. Jagger, a freelance travel writer, went on to publish a piece about the journey.

Jagger shares a blues fondness with his older brother, but the Zydeco influence come from an appreciation for the late Louisiana legend Clifton Chenier. "What I like is the time signatures, the dancing of it," says Jagger, who plays the washboard, in addition to singing and playing guitar. "I picked up on it in the early nineties, and I've incorporated that kind of style into my own thing."

The song 15% Extra Free! is a clear, sly comment on a marketing culture that stresses that bigger is better, but the title could refer to someone working under a prominent shadow. "You mean that we try harder?," he asks, with a laugh. "I usually give 20-per-cent extra. I believe in giving people their money's worth."

Chris Jagger's Atcha! plays tomorrow night at the Courthouse in Toronto (416-214-9379); Ottawa's Rainbow Room on Monday; Festival International de Jazz de Montréal, July 4; St-Hyacinthe, Que., July 6; Festival de Blues Mont-Tremblant, Que., July 7.

30th June 2007 12:20 PM
Reptile "When I play a club nobody cares.. then my STUPID brother joins me and all of a sudden it's big news.. jerks!"
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)