ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Ascot June 18, 2004
Thanks moy!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Boogie-woogie Braun (NSC) Return to archive
29th June 2004 08:14 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Boogie-woogie pianist makes appearance at Opera House

By MIKE FORNES

Tribune Staff Writer

CHEBOYGAN - A rare living link to the first generation of blues and boogie pianists will be in town Saturday for a show that promises some very exciting music.

Mark Lincoln Braun, known professionally as Mr. B, had the unique privilege of learning this vanishing art directly from blues and boogie legends such as Little Brother Montgomery, Boogie Woogie Red and Blind John Davis.

Boogie-style music is generally defined as a heavily percussive style of blues piano in which the right hand plays riffs (syncopated, repeating phrases) against a driving pattern of repeating eighth notes (ostinato bass). It began to appear at the beginning of the 20th century and was associated with the southwestern states - hence its early names, "fast Western style" and "Western rolling blues." Its bass figures are believed to derive from the running sequence of guitar accompaniment.

Today boogie piano has few players who really specialize in the music. Braun is known as one of the premiere purveyors who is steeped in the original style of the music's legacy. He has performed throughout Europe, Canada, Mexico, South America and from coast to coast in the United States.

Braun is in demand for both educational programs and concert performances. In 2002 he was a guest artist at the Irving S. Gilmore International Keyboard Festival. He is also the organizer of the annual Mr. B's Blues and Boogie Piano Celebration, attracting major figures in the blues and jazz piano world to Ann Arbor for collaborative performances.

Braun's show at the Opera House will begin at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, and will see him accompanied by bass and percussion. Reserved seat tickets are available for $15 for adults and $8 for students through high school.

Box office hours are 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday and 6 p.m. until curtain on day of performance.
CHEBOYGAN DAILY TRIBUNE, MI

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
29th June 2004 11:28 AM
jb Thanks for the article Mother baby...
29th June 2004 12:11 PM
Joey

29th June 2004 12:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Anyone ever heard of this guy??? I'll admit that in my idiotic ignorance I never had. But I guess thats neither here or there. When I ran across this article I had thought about posting it on the Stu thread.
29th June 2004 12:17 PM
Joey
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Anyone ever heard of this guy??? I'll admit that in my idiotic ignorance I never had. But I guess thats neither here or there. When I ran across this article I had thought about posting it on the Stu thread.