ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Ascot June 18, 2004
Thanks moy!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith Richards remembers Ray Charles Return to archive
29th June 2004 07:15 AM
Monkey Woman From the Rolling Stone mag page "Remembering Ray":

Keith Richards

"The first thing I ever heard by Ray Charles was "What'd I Say." The next thing was the jazz album that had David "Fathead" Newman [Genius + Soul = Jazz]. And then "Hit the Road Jack." The man had range. He wasn't in a bag. He had his own bag. I loved the way he could effortlessly zoom about in all of these things. It was all music to Ray. He was the first true crossover artist. I remember putting off a few of my so-called hipper friends when the Jazz album came out. They said, "Man, he's selling out." But Ray was rock & roll. He was rhythm & blues. He was jazz. He was country. He had such reach -- and far-reaching effect.

With the Rolling Stones being a guitar band primarily, Ray's influence on us was more insidious. For Mick, for anyone singing blues or rhythm & blues, you learned from Ray. If you listened to a lot of Ray, as we did, it rubbed off. Charlie loved the Ray Charles band, especially the drummers. And Ian Stewart would always sit around doodling at the piano on Ray's songs and licks. The whole session, every time we would stop a take, there would be Stu, trying to get one of Ray's piano licks down. In fact, one of my proud piano moments was that I had learned one of Ray's really sweet blues licks and taught it to Ian Stewart. It was the only time I ever taught him anything on piano.

I met Ray once or twice -- "How ya doing?" "Nice to meet ya." Although we knew each other, we just didn't have time to hook up. But I knew a lot of his band. I first saw Ray live in the Sixties, in the States when we first came over. I'm not sure where it was. I know it wasn't any grand joint -- just some place with a sign, "Ray Charles, Now Appearing." It was pretty much an all-black crowd; some of the guys in this group the Vibrations took me there. It must have been on a Southern swing, because I had to pee in the other bathroom, the one with the sign that said "White."

And when the Stones were on the road in the Seventies, a lot of the time we'd be playing the same town either just before Ray or just after. Ray's band was pretty wild -- it was thirty pieces of black dynamite. You'd hear stories: They would be in the bar, the police coming. And when we'd get to the airport the next day, there would always be some poor guy with his drum kit or trombone, standing on the runway because he was late and missed the plane. Ray ran a tight ship."

More tributes by James Brown, Ahmet Ertegun, Brian Wilson:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story?id=6214207

(Thanks to Stonesdoug for the heads up!)
29th June 2004 09:49 AM
scratched How nice!
29th June 2004 10:11 AM
jb Very nice.
29th June 2004 12:14 PM
Joey

29th June 2004 12:21 PM
Main Offender Thanks. Keith is such a class act. Love the man.
29th June 2004 12:24 PM
Joey
quote:
Main Offender wrote:
Thanks. Keith is such a class act. Love the man.

[Edited by Joey]
29th June 2004 01:10 PM
Gazza yeah, but I mean why isnt he in the studio instead of writing tributes to Ray Charles......
29th June 2004 01:13 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
yeah, but I mean why isnt he in the studio instead of writing tributes to Ray Charles......

Gazza, maybe he needs the practice(P.S.-sorry about the English futbol debacle...I can't believe Holland beat the greatest team on earth).
29th June 2004 01:13 PM
parmeda Point taken, well noted, Gazza
29th June 2004 01:31 PM
Gazza >Gazza, maybe he needs the practice(P.S.-sorry about the English futbol debacle

uh....I'm not English...

>...I can't believe Holland beat the greatest team on earth).

Who. Sweden????
29th June 2004 01:32 PM
Gazza >Point taken, well noted, Gazza

Irony alert!!! LOL
29th June 2004 01:36 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Gazza, maybe he needs the practice(P.S.-sorry about the English futbol debacle

uh....I'm not English...

>...I can't believe Holland beat the greatest team on earth).

Who. Sweden????

My understanding was that you were born in Northern Ireland(Belfast) and moved to Soho, London. Do you root for Ireland or England, or both? Cheers!!!
29th June 2004 01:44 PM
Gazza Soho? Now youre taking the piss. LOL.

I've always lived in Belfast and in international football I support Northern Ireland as its the country I was born in and live in,so its neither England or the Republic of Ireland.

As we didnt qualify for Euro 2004, I'm pretty much neutral. I'd have liked to have seen England win as I live in the UK, although from a technical viewpoint I've always liked watching Holland and France as I prefer their style of football. However, I wouldnt really get worked up over who wins.
29th June 2004 01:47 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Soho? Now youre taking the piss. LOL.

I've always lived in Belfast and in international football I support Northern Ireland as its the country I was born in and live in,so its neither England or the Republic of Ireland.

As we didnt qualify for Euro 2004, I'm pretty much neutral. I'd have liked to have seen England win as I live in the UK, although from a technical viewpoint I've always liked watching Holland and France as I prefer their style of football. However, I wouldnt really get worked up over who wins.

Sorry..I really thought you were a "Londoner" today. You seem to go there quite often..are their visa requrements to travel to and fro'?
29th June 2004 01:51 PM
Gazza Uh...Its part of the same country...

You dont need travel documents to travel within the UK.

You also dont need a passport if you travel between any part of the UK and the Irish Republic...
29th June 2004 01:51 PM
Moonisup It's good to see that keith remembers Ray! But it would also be nice to see keith remembering some Chords!
29th June 2004 01:53 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Uh...Its part of the same country...

You dont need travel documents to travel within the UK.

You also dont need a passport if you travel between any part of the UK and the Irish Republic...

Northern Ireland is part of England?
29th June 2004 01:58 PM
Gazza The UK

UK = England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland.

Pay attention!
29th June 2004 02:01 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The UK

Pay attention!

I thought that because of the historic conflicts b/t N. Ireland and England that there would be travel restrictions.
29th June 2004 02:15 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The UK

Pay attention!

All of those places put together got more Stones' Shows than the United States . How come nobody likes us ?!?! Even THE WHO are reluctant to appear for more than just a f ew times on our Mainland Soil . I blame Baby Steelie for all this ............. !

For Gazza :

www.BrazenHead.com

Jacky !

[Edited by Joey]
29th June 2004 02:27 PM
jb And yet, per capita, American shows were 2-3 times more profitable.
29th June 2004 02:31 PM
Gazza >I thought that because of the historic conflicts b/t N. Ireland and England that there would be travel restrictions.

not as such. Its just like flying from Florida to, say, Louisiana. Its still within the same country. You wouldnt have needed a passport although you might expect extra security, such as more thorough baggage searches or more zealous policing than you would get if you were flying between England and Scotland for example. Thats no longer the case, though, thankfully.

You would expect that there would be passport restructions between the UK and the Irish Republic as they're two separate sovereign states but theres an agreement where thats not required. Possibly because if you come from Northern Ireland , you have the choice of having either a UK passport or an Irish one (or even both).

The rules are different for travelling to the US. UK passport holders dont need a visa (our passport alows us to a 90 day visa waiver) whereas Irish passport holders do.

You dont need visas to fly within the EC. Had it not been for 9/11 and the subsequent terrorist threat, you probably wouldnt even need a passport any more. However, if youre flying you'll generally find that since those events you now that you require photo ID to travel even on an internal flight - so that invariably means a passport!

In short, the whole concept of EU unity was meant to do away with the need for passports for travel within EC countries. The world being as it is, its turned out that youre likely now to use your passport as a photo ID for air travel within your OWN country.
29th June 2004 02:31 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
And yet, per capita, American shows were 2-3 times more profitable.

Agreed ..............it's like we are cursed these days or something . All our country does is give and give and give whilst others lose shoes up our arses .

Why ?!?! WHY ?!?!?!

www.Hackwriters.com

[Edited by Joey]
29th June 2004 02:33 PM
jb Because they are jealous of our freedom...and remember, the spin stops here, because we are looking out for you.
29th June 2004 02:37 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Because they are jealous of our freedom...and remember, the spin stops here, because we are looking out for you.

No Spin Zone ?!?!?!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,117508,00.html
29th June 2004 08:41 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
jb wrote:
Because they are jealous of our freedom...

In the case of Stones show... it's more likely a jealousy of your $$$!

quote:
and remember, the spin stops here, because we are looking out for you.

Ooooh, I'm frightened!
29th June 2004 09:04 PM
gotdablouse Is this the firt time Keith has something nice to say about someone or what ?!

At this point I agree that Keith should cut the crap and write some new material. It seems the guy's just lost any kind of ambition apart from lining the pockets of his family 500 hundred years down the road, what a way to end for a rebel!