ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Ascot June 18, 2004
Thanks moy!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Riff Hard, Please tell us more.......From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
29th June 2004 09:48 PM
Monkey Woman Wow, Snappy, for someone who is "not fighting" Fotini, you are mightily smashing whatever she posted on this thread! Good job... What is it like when you *do* fight?

Anyway, I'm afraid that as long as we have nothing more than rumours to chew upon, there'll be a lot of bitching and rehashing of all the reasons why some of us may be pissed off about the Stones, their delay in issuing a new album, the ticket prices, the fan club, whatever. If you don't have good news, there's still the bad stuff to talk about!

And BTW, to keep the record straight: I don't think I'm being naive here when I think the Stones still tour because they like to. Of course they love the money it gets them too! Big buck never come amiss. And it's sweet to get the media attention, the travel in great style with customized plane, etc. But if Mick and Keith were bored, they could just as easily spend happily their old years in one of their luxury houses, counting the song royalties and knowing that all the family, even their great-grandchildren, will be well provided for.

But they seem to genuinely get a kick out of strutting the stage once more, being a live act, working a crowd (and boy, do they know how to work a crowd!), and generally putting their title of rock 'n' roll champions in the balance again. (The question of ticket prices aside... We all managed to get at least one during the last tour, didn't we? Either buy it or get it as a present or even win one at a game...) So yes the Stones earn big during tours, but they work hard to give pleasure to the fans too.

And that's cool with me. I think I'm not mistaken if I say that it's cool with the majority of us too.

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
29th June 2004 10:04 PM
Snappy McJack Nah, I'm not fightin'. I just feel like I'm right, that's it.

But, actually, I didn't get to another thing I wanted to say. Maybe the prices aren't that bad (ok, they suck - LOL), but I wish they would be forthright with them. Meaning, I wish that these things were sectioned off properly. I mean, when you have seats in the 2nd deck that are literally touching each other, but are 60 bucks in difference, there is something really wrong. [this was a case for me, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who had this problem].

I guess I'm saying that it would be a lot more better if it was all properly ordered. $150 tickets with an obstructed view of speakers in the upper bowl of an arena is a bit far-fetched, don't you think? Thing is, some people in the upper bowl, close to the people that paid $150 only (yeah, only) paid $90. Thing is, where were the $50 seats at? Do those sell out fast or do they not exist? I tried getting them, but to no avail, so I had to dig deep, which kind of sucked.

Anyways, from now on, I will just start talking about Joey and JB's quest for 10K, my dog, baseball, the mystery behind SPAM (the canned meat), and naked people.

[Edited by Snappy McJack]
29th June 2004 11:51 PM
Soldatti Excelent post, Snappy McJack.

The true is that the Stones don't want to record anymore. They aren't fools. If I am Mick or Keith and I read on everywere: "The Stones didn't release a decent record since Tattoo You, almost 25 years ago", what's the reaction?
WTF!, We released "Undercover", not is a masterprice but not is indecent, we released "Dirty Work", well..., we released "Steel Wheels", Rolling Stone ranked it #87 on all time 80's albums, it got 4-5 stars reviews everywere but at the people don't like it, we released "Voodoo Lounge" for god sake!, the most similar to an old times Stones record, we spend 1 year making the fucking thing and for nothing!, we released "Bridges To Babylon" trying to make a 90's record and everybody trashed the album."
"Plus we did 4 new songs and all are saying that are the worst on years!"
Plus, Mick say "I released "Goddess In The Doorway", I spend a whole year recording, I spend time making interviews, a documental, 2 great videos but everybody said that is ridiculous and sold less copies than "Jamming With Edward"

Here is the answer for the 7 (and future 8) years of waiting...What's the motivation?
30th June 2004 02:59 AM
Diedre Yeah, and you know it won't get radio airplay. Does anyone get radio airplay anymore? It seems like only 4 or 5 songs get picked, and even then, you have to fit a format. I'm not sure the Stones fit any format. The old stuff does, because it's oldies. But new Stones -- where are the outlets where it would be played? Then, add the fact that more people will download it than actually buy it. It's surprising they're even trying to make any new records.

Regarding $50 seats, they did exist on the last tour. I had 'em for the Oakland show. They were behind the stage, high up. Prime viewing for Keith and Charlie's bald spots. Bad sound. But it was cool to get a bird's eye view of the way Mick gets the crowd going. And it was better than paying over $100 per seat.
30th June 2004 03:10 AM
FotiniD Hey Snappy, don't get worked up like that, we're just discussing stuff here, it's not like I'm saying my opinion is 100% right and yours is not! So let's take it one by one

I do think the special DVD sets is indeed an option, especially in today's market. When speaking about one-off appearances, I meant special ones to commemorate something, as part of something else etc. I don't know, perhaps it's a dumb idea, but I can see it happening if they were to act like that. Being a touring band whilst earning their royalties I think proves the fact that they like doing it - and YES, they like the money, the human being is greedy and always wants more, unfortunately. Some aren't, some are. I don't think you can blame them for combining what they like with earning money. It's not like they're stealing it.

And PLEASE, I am the last person on this earth that has the "don't like it, don't buy it" attitude. I've cursed the "fan club" to death for all its non-offers and the incredible amounts of money it charges for offering... nothing! I've been among the people who think that the prices they charge for tickets, especially in the USA, are extra-ordinary. I do believe it's mainly our own atittude, the fans, that allow people like Michael Cohl to increase the prices into stratosphere - they KNOW we're going to buy it, that's why they do it. I don't agree with that at all. And much as I love this band I wouldn't pay 300 or 400 dolars for a ticket folks. I think it's a ridiculous idea. But that's just me. I'm 23 Snappy, I'm not working in a big corporate firm, I don't discuss selling plans in gigs I got into Stones when I was about seventeen and one of the reasons (I said one ) I started working very early was to be able to get money for Stones tickets Pathetic, I know, but that's the reality. I can't follow them around the globe, the wages in Greece are ridicusly low (well, at least certainly mine ) but still, when I get to see them it's so good that I don't mind even if it's just one gig. I'd like it to be different - but it's not.

And no, I don't think Keith doesn't have business knowledge. I don't believe he really is all the let-loose, jamaican-boogie kind of guy he wants to convince us he is. I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I don't buy the Switzerland story Oops, wrong turn here, sorry. But I still like the guy, I like his music, I like his humor and I like the fact he's still here and not buried three feet under.

And it is sad that today's teenagers won't listen to the Stones, but is this unavoidable? When the Stones started playing music, as they said, it was because they couldn't hear the music they liked played anywhere. They wanted to pass on part of what they liked. So people weren't listening to the blues then and the Stones brought them to the people. Isn't this happening today in a form as well? Bands like the White Stripes, the Strokes etc. It's not what I *really* like to listen to, but it's nice that some very young people out there are interested in it and not Britney, for instance. But then again, it's all a matter of taste. You can't expect generation after generation to like the same band we do. Some do and some don't.

I don't like stadium shows either. I prefer clubs. I've never seen them in a club, but I know I'd prefer it. I know you didn't say the part about milk crate. I was referring to my boy in the avatar

Take another one to a gig for free? Give me a break Snappy, I'm finding it hard to score tickets myself

I'm happy they're still here Snappy. I guess you are too, even if you don't admit it. Of course I'd like to see more: cheaper prices, club tours, more of that. But has it happened in the past? No. Will it happen in the future? Doubtedly. So why not try to enjoy what is here, while is here?

Ah... Said it all - I think Sorry for the crazily long post guys.
Page: 1 2 3