ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Ascot June 18, 2004
Thanks moy!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Riff Hard, Please tell us more.......From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
27th June 2004 02:00 AM
IanBillen
Hi Riff Hard,
We need to hear more from your Ben Elliot source. You stated the songs he heard all had a "very cool rough vibe". How about the quality of the songs themselves? Were they finished in terms of writing or were they just bits and pieces? And do the songs seem hit-worthy? How do they compare to say Voodoo Lounge or Bridges tracks? And do The Stones know they have to really give us the goods on this one since it's been the longest time span in their career between albums? Do they realize there is more anticipation about this album than maybe any Stones album in a long time because of that fact? Finally ask him a time frame when the boys plan on releasing the album. How much more work are they planning on doing? How many songs did Ben Elliot hear?
I know I have like a ton of questions here but Geez there is like no word from The Stones camp on anything and we have been waiting a long, long, time on at least some kind of word.
Please be so kind to reply and fill us in on as much as you can and keep us posted. I, and many I am sure are, and would be grateful.
Thanks again,
Ian

27th June 2004 07:56 AM
Bob Tamp I have to admit it...Im dying for the new material also
27th June 2004 09:46 AM
nankerphelge Wait a second.

Ian is now asking for more info from a friend of a friend??

I'm so happy I'm bipolar I could just cry.
27th June 2004 11:49 AM
Lord Sinclair I thought Ian was the man in-the-know? What's going on here and why does he keep referencing Voodoo?
27th June 2004 12:21 PM
Snappy McJack I think people need to stop thinking and worrying about the album.

It will probably be out in the fall of 2005 -- that's right, 8 Friggin' Years since "Bridges to Babylon".

This damn thing better be worth every penny -- all killer, no damn filler.
[Edited by Snappy McJack]
27th June 2004 04:27 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Lord Sinclair wrote:
I thought Ian was the man in-the-know? What's going on here and why does he keep referencing Voodoo?

Naw,
I don't know anything except that Don Was is working on the Solomon Bourke album right now so I figured this could very well be the reason that The Stones are in a delay or Stand Still. My only contact is a close associate of Don Was. This contact will not say either way if he is going to be on the next Stones album. I am pretty sure he is going to be on the Solomon project through June, 2004. That is all I know for fact.
The reason I reference Voodoo Lounge is I think it is their best album since Tattoo You.
Ian
27th June 2004 04:36 PM
IanBillen
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Wait a second.

Ian is now asking for more info from a friend of a friend??

I'm so happy I'm bipolar I could just cry.

Ben Elliot is a real source. Not just.....on of those "Well a friend said their cousin works for a company that does the Stones laundry while they tour and he said he heard 7 of the new tracks....
Ben Elliot is infact an Engineer for Keith and others high up in music. I don't think people in these positions tell blatent lies very often. Usually they just are evasive or tell you nothing. Ben Elliot is infact involved with Keiths sound so this is a pretty reputable source if any for now.
Of all the rumors and hear-say on this board this one is the only one that seems to reaqlly hold water being as who it is coming from. Meaning Keith Richards sound engineer. Ian
27th June 2004 05:14 PM
Main Offender I just googled "Ben Elliot" and found out that he does the clothing for Missy Somebody. Then I googled "Ben Elliot With Keith Richards" and ended up with "napster".
27th June 2004 05:24 PM
Monkey Woman About Ben Elliott in relation to Keith:

http://www.google.fr/search?q=cache:SqNi7ZmcnIoJ:www.showplacestudios.com/PHOTO1.htm+ben+elliott+keith+richards&hl=fr
27th June 2004 06:03 PM
Main Offender Thanks MW. But, you know what? If KR is with Ben Elliot I'm feeling more of a Winos thing coming!!
I apologise for "checking up" on the info posted here, we're all really getting desperate. Desperate people=desperate measures!!
27th June 2004 06:17 PM
Monkey Woman No need to apologize to me, MO!
But if I was Ben Elliott or anyone closely associated to the Stones, I don't think I would like to be quoted like that in details and by name on a fan message board...
27th June 2004 07:31 PM
Main Offender Yes, MW that struck me too. I know that people associated with the Stones (closely) will often refuse to have photos taken. So, I'm not so sure how well naming this man on any MB will be a good thing in his own eyes. I'd be pretty upset and angry. But, that's just me.
27th June 2004 10:25 PM
IanBillen
So what happend to Riff Hard? He left this Ben Elliot post a few days back but never returned? I would like a touch more detail if he can. Anyone know his e-mail incase I have no luck with this post?
Thanks so much for the responses thus far,
Ian
28th June 2004 11:32 AM
Main Offender Send him A PM if you're in need of contacting him??
28th June 2004 11:58 AM
Riffhard
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
No need to apologize to me, MO!
But if I was Ben Elliott or anyone closely associated to the Stones, I don't think I would like to be quoted like that in details and by name on a fan message board...

Well,I can certainly understand how you would feel that Ben would be upset about that MW,but that is just not in the guys nature. He is a cool guy that would only talk in generalitiies with regards to the Stones. He's sure as hell is not talking out of school here. He did not give any secrets that's for sure. Song titles,running order,etc. All that I have heard from him is that the boys have really committed themselves to making a "statement" album. As far as where they all are. I have head that most of the tracks have been laid down by Charlie,Ronnie,Daryl,and Chuck. All that's left is for Mick and Keith to lay down their bits and knock the tunes into shape. They have all been in the studio on and off over the last several months. Ben said that he feels that old time Stones fans will be very happy with the results. "If you like Voodoo Lounge then your gonna love this one as well." That said,we will just have to wait and see for ourselves in October (from the looks of things). I trust Ben though and as you can tell by the pictures he knows the guys very well indeed! I hope this helps clear things up a bit.

Riffhard
28th June 2004 12:45 PM
jb This sounds very promising....VL was a very solid, if not great album.
28th June 2004 12:46 PM
not bound to please This thread is very disturbing.

Thanks!
28th June 2004 12:53 PM
Joey This sounds very promising....VL was a very solid, if not great album.
28th June 2004 12:54 PM
Snappy McJack Thank god, Riffhard.

I thought that Ian was going to go apeshit!
28th June 2004 12:56 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
not bound to please wrote:
This thread is very disturbing.

Thanks!

Hell yes. It's not that bad, though.

Not as bad as the posts where people KNOW exactly where Mick, Keith, etc. ARE...that is a bit spooky.
28th June 2004 12:59 PM
Some Guy Voodoo Lounge was OK.
28th June 2004 01:01 PM
jb
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Voodoo Lounge was OK.

We tend to put Vl up there as a classic b/c it was so much better than any of the 80's stuff or Steel Wheels..it a good album...but we have not had a truly great album sincr tatoo you(and that was mostly taylor era inspired songs).
28th June 2004 01:17 PM
Monkey Woman Riffhard, I agree that Ben Elliott seems a very cool guy. And all this sounds very promising. Let's hope the "boys" deliver!
28th June 2004 01:21 PM
jb
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Riffhard, I agree that Ben Elliott seems a very cool guy. And all this sounds very promising. Let's hope the "boys" deliver!

Thanks Monkey Woman.
28th June 2004 01:24 PM
Joey

Thanks So Much IanBillen
28th June 2004 01:25 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:

Thanks So Much IanBillen

28th June 2004 01:27 PM
Some Guy [quote]jb wrote:
We tend to put Vl up there as a classic b/c it was so much better than any of the 80's stuff or Steel Wheels..it a good album...but we have not had a truly great album sincr tatoo you(and that was mostly taylor era inspired songs).
[/quote
jb, It came up on shuffle on my Stereo the other day. First time in a while I've heard it. I really liked it when it first came out. Now its kinda weak to me, I do agree with your statement.
28th June 2004 01:51 PM
jb
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
[quote]jb wrote:
[/quote
jb, It came up on shuffle on my Stereo the other day. First time in a while I've heard it. I really liked it when it first came out. Now its kinda weak to me, I do agree with your statement.

Unfortunately, once Mick and Keith had their 80's falling out, it became abunduntaly clear that they would no longer collaborate on song writing as in the past. At best, they will work on their own materail and try to integrate what they have no used on their own projects, into an album. I think Mick and keith realized that the 'value" in the band was in touring -the formula for which they have made a science. The reality probably is that they wrote their greatest materail from 68-72, with soem gems here and there....but they simple have neither the ability or apparently the desire to put in the joint effort necessary to produce at least better than average albums...
28th June 2004 01:53 PM
Snappy McJack This is for you, jb:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?s=1b2dda867dfb767703f89c2e2aa3ac17&threadid=72177
28th June 2004 02:03 PM
jb Sad but true...
Page: 1 2 3