ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Ascot June 18, 2004
Thanks moy!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dear Gawd....NO! (NSC) Return to archive
25th June 2004 10:30 AM
Martha I'm going out in the backyard, dig a shallow grave and hang myself ...............

Mark Burnett Emcees New 'Rock Star' Show
By The Associated Press

NEW YORK - Australian rock band INXS, which has kept going with guest vocalists since Michael Hutchence died in 1997, has enlisted reality TV guru Mark Burnett to help them find a new singer.

Burnett's reality series "Rock Star" will air next summer on CBS, the network announced Thursday.

His obvious model is Fox's "American Idol." Burnett will hold auditions in the United States and in London, Tokyo and Sydney, Australia. The top contenders will live together in Hollywood and compete live each week.

INXS, which had the hits "What You Need" and "Need You Tonight," will embark on a world tour with their new singer.

Burnett's pedigree as producer of "Survivor" and "The Apprentice" made "Rock Star" a concept eagerly sought by the TV networks.

"Rock stars offer rich material for the reality TV world," Burnett said. "They are colorful personalities and charismatic performers who make great reality TV characters."

By airing in the summer, "Rock Star" won't be going head-to-head with "American Idol," which ends its competition in May.
25th June 2004 10:36 AM
Ten Thousand Motels The lowest common denominator just keeps getting lower.
25th June 2004 10:36 AM
jb This is worse news than SS making the "transition"...
25th June 2004 10:41 AM
Snappy McJack This ranks just below the Stones songs being pimped for computers, cars, and COKEEEEEEEEEEEee
25th June 2004 11:28 AM
Gazza >I'm going out in the backyard, dig a shallow grave and hang myself ...............

Interesting choice of reaction, Martha - considering Michael Hutchence's choice of suicide!!!

25th June 2004 11:29 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>I'm going out in the backyard, dig a shallow grave and hang myself ...............

Interesting choice of reaction, Martha - considering Michael Hutchence's choice of suicide!!!

My understanding was that the late INXS singer accidentallyt hung himself while masterbating in some type of auto-erotic fantasy....
25th June 2004 11:48 AM
Gazza whether it was an accident or a suicide is open to debate but the 'having a wank while hanging from the hotel room door' bit isnt disputed....!
25th June 2004 11:57 AM
Nasty Habits I wanna testify that it's a barbaric world out there!

Anybody waste their time watching VH-1's Bands on the Run back during that broadcast? Imagine my amazement to discover that winners "Flickerstick" not only still exist but are playing at our local thousand seater this month! From Dylan to Flickerstick!! WAY TO GO ORANGE PEEL!!!

Can you imagine the TV series that coulda been gotten out of the Rolling Stones' mid 70s guitarist auditions? Now that woulda been worth watchin'!

25th June 2004 12:00 PM
Bloozehound Hey guys there's nuttin' wrong with having a wank or two, while dangling from your hotel room door, I do it all the time.....j/k, poor guy, that was some weird shit to say the least.
25th June 2004 12:02 PM
egon i hear that creep singer is out of a job....

Did i say creep? of course i mean creed.
25th June 2004 12:04 PM
Gazza >Hey guys there's nuttin' wrong with having a wank or two, while dangling from your hotel room door, I do it all the time.....

ah, so THAT explains the facial expression of your avatar pic!
25th June 2004 12:05 PM
jb JK?
25th June 2004 06:40 PM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>I'm going out in the backyard, dig a shallow grave and hang myself ...............

LOL!!! Of Gary, I didn't even think of that until hours after I posted this......while we were shopping at the grocery store. Imagine my face when that (priceless) moment of clarity appeared in my mind! DOH!

ROTFLOL!

Now is that Freudian..or what?!?

Hey how's the Bob shows going for ya'? :-)
25th June 2004 08:52 PM
mac_daddy where are all those rabid inxs fans now..?

_____

oh, and the term is autoasphyxiation. the lack of o2 in the brain heightens the pleasure of orgasm.

25th June 2004 09:30 PM
Gazza >Hey how's the Bob shows going for ya'? :-)

the 2 Glasgow shows were marvellous..especially the club show

just got home today and out on the town with Billyboll tonight who's here from Liverpool for the Belfast show tomorrow.

will post a longer review when time permits!
25th June 2004 10:24 PM
The Eggman The fact of the matter is, how much intergrity has INXs lost with this recent "X'posa-say, the answer ...? Not alot

I loved INXS from the begining to their recent'der albums like Dirty Moons, and Elegantly Wasted

INXS is still a band that is profitable , much like the Stones, they just havent found the right niche again, . Huthence replacements have been ..hmm...sub-par, none the less, the band was HUGE!, and created some of the timeless pop songs of the decade. INXS is a band in my mind, that outshines bands like Depece Mode, or Human League (haha just kidding, not them), But are on-par with U2...

if anything this band plugs this last ditch effort to become re-popluar again

Lets face it, whats happening with INXS could of EASILY happened to the Stones back in the 60's...so lets do the "Survirvor" creator on more gem and watch him help one of the greatest pop bands find their "New Sensation"...again
25th June 2004 11:57 PM
stonedinaustralia i feel embarrassed as an australian that this nonsense goes on

hutchence was very over-rated and the band even more so (imo)

but all that aside the fact they (the surviving members) didn't anmd won't let the band die with hutchence is by turns arrogant and stupid - folly and hubris fuelled by avarice and ego

god - without hutchence they were just another average sydney pub band who got lucky by finding someone who raised them from the banal to the generically bankable

it makes me sick
26th June 2004 12:09 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
i feel embarrassed as an australian that this nonsense goes on

hutchence was very over-rated and the band even more so (imo)

but all that aside the fact they (the surviving members) didn't anmd won't let the band die with hutchence is by turns arrogant and stupid - folly and hubris fuelled by avarice and ego

god - without hutchence they were just another average sydney pub band who got lucky by finding someone who raised them from the banal to the generically bankable

it makes me sick

don't feel so badly, SIA - do you have any idea how much bullsh*t originates in southern california..? inxs is barely a blip on the radar screen out here. but i am with you - they pretty much suck, and pretty much always have...

what ever happened to the hoodoo gurus? they ripped. and what about p garrett - is he still into politics..?
26th June 2004 12:28 AM
stonedinaustralia mac-daddyo - the gurus, after quite a hiatus, are occasionally doing the rounds these days

garrett in fact has made big news recently - we've a federal election sometime this year and he's been given a short cut to the top by joining the mainstream what you might call "left" party

many see it as a sell out as his views have always been "radical" in mainstream terms - for instance,where he once railed against US imperialism he's now justifying the presence of the US military facility in pine gap which he always opposed - as part of his launch into mainstream politics i've learnt he's a christian (for what that's worth - 'tho it does,perhaps, explain some of his preachy ways)- he's a big on the environemt so it will be interesting (if his pary takes government - the odds of which are probably no better than 50/50)- to watch him compromise his beliefs once he realises the economic realities have to be dealt with and considered

26th June 2004 12:36 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
don't feel so badly, SIA - do you have any idea how much bullsh*t originates in southern california..?

LOL. I'd guess plenty, seeing that's where Tinsle Town is located. A lot of bullshit came out of Hollywood. But alot of good stuff too.

26th June 2004 12:43 AM
MarthaMyDear
quote:
where are all those rabid inxs fans now..?

I don't know but speaking of suicide, I DO know where all of
those Morissey fans went... That was bad...
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I stole it from a
talk radio show I heard it on today... lol....
LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!! :P lol.........
Too tired to be original, and shit... HE!!! HE!!! HE!!!
NEVERMIND!!! lol.......

BTW!!! GARY AND MARTHA!!! I am hoping that
Bob will play here and I will go if he does, FOR SURE!!!
I am purchasing my Who tickets to the Hollywood
Bowl (Mon., August 9th) right after I post this and although
the seats will be a ways back there (unless I can get some
extra bread next month, etc., and get upgrades, etc.), I
LOVE the Bowl and they have a new sound system and it ROCKS
there during the summer so I'll let you guys know how it
went!!! JOEY!!! WORD TO YOUR JOSHY!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
racking-up...lol... LOL!!!!!!!
lol...... :P lol... TAKE CARE!!!
PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***

P.S. (mac-daddy!!! I am still planning on hitting Rockaway
Records next month!!! It might not be until
the end of the month for me since I'm moving, etc., but I'll
let you know when in case you want to meet there, or
something (?!?!?!)!!! I hope you can 'cause
that would be fun!!! Anyways, take care and talk to you
soon!!! ROCK ON!!! PEACE!!! I'll PM
ya'!!! TAKE CARE!!! )
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
26th June 2004 12:45 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

A lot of bullshit came out of Hollywood. But alot of good stuff too.

agreed...

the doors
x
the minutemen/mike watt
warren zevon
the beach boys
los lobos
nwa/dr dre/ice cube

unfortunately the eagles hail from socal, and they are the absolute f*cking worst. period.

edit:

quote:
quote:where are all those rabid inxs fans now..?

I don't know but speaking of suicide, I DO know where all of
those Morissey fans went...

he sucks, too. always has. his whining made it damn near impossible to enjoy the smiths' music, and they were a tight band; johnny marr could make that rick. sing like nobody else - great style.

but morissey sucks... meat is murder? even in junior high i thought the guy was a tool...

oh, and he now lives in the hollywood area, too...

[Edited by mac_daddy]
26th June 2004 01:07 AM
MarthaMyDear AND, alot of great punk bands, also (Adolescents, etc.)!!!
CHEERS!!!

*** Martha ***
26th June 2004 12:17 PM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Hey how's the Bob shows going for ya'? :-)

the 2 Glasgow shows were marvellous..especially the club show

just got home today and out on the town with Billyboll tonight who's here from Liverpool for the Belfast show tomorrow.

will post a longer review when time permits!

Gary please say HELLO to Billyboll for me! And Bob too, for that matter! LOL Look forward to the reviews when you get to them. Glad it is going so wonderfully. I haven't heard Stu yet, so am interested in what you think of his addition. I'll have the CT and AC shows with Stu from TMR (gigged with his new equipment) possibly coming in my mail this week. You'll be getting them from me once I have them in my hands. :-)
27th June 2004 07:20 PM
The Eggman Maybe I should reinstate my point again.

You havefta feel for this band, I mean, the guy was Jim Morrison and Jagger put together..when in a time where everyone desperately needed another one (circa. late 80's)

If not with his arrogance>,,,he's exactly like Jagger, which we love..am I right?
28th June 2004 02:20 AM
corgi37 Hutchence was NEVER Jagger or Morrison. He just copied their moves. He had about as much personality as a mop. Oh, he had "charismatic"! Read, moody, self absorbed, boring and with the worst acne since man first saw the craters on the moon. I used to see them alot back in the early 80's. They were ok, right up until they made it big. The other band members must thank their lucky stars he died, because their career was long, long over before he choked.

Inxs, led by Jon Stevens toured U.K. last year, supporting Blondie on some dates. After receiving a barrage of bottles and glasses and being booed off by crowds of 25-50 people, Jon Stevens walked out on the band. His last gig was hosting a reality show here in Oz called "The Resort". The show was so bad, even for a reality show! And, despite having heaps of chicks in bikinis, was axed after 4 epsiodes.

By the way, Hutchence also had pink toe nail polish on when he bit the dust. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Oh, and the Hoodoo Gurus have a new cd out and are touring pubs/clubs now and then. They look really, really old these days. Even the glamour boy guitarist. But, TISM have a new record coming out. Their last one was ok, containing the hit single "I might be a cunt, but i'm not a fucking cunt". Oddly, it didnt get much airplay. Neither did one of their early classics "Defecate on my face". Strange, really.
28th June 2004 02:23 AM
corgi37 Sorry about the "he had charismatic" line. I meant charisma. As in, it was perceived he had charisma cause he acted like a jerk. Still, he got to do Kylie Minogue, which is more than i can say. For the moment, anyway.
28th June 2004 08:53 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Oh, and the Hoodoo Gurus have a new cd out and are touring pubs/clubs now and then. They look really, really old these days. Even the glamour boy guitarist. But, TISM have a new record coming out. Their last one was ok, containing the hit single "I might be a cunt, but i'm not a fucking cunt". Oddly, it didnt get much airplay. Neither did one of their early classics "Defecate on my face". Strange, really.

classic!

thanks for the info.