ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Ascot June 18, 2004
Thanks moy!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Complaints About RS.com Return to archive Page: 1 2
24th June 2004 08:09 PM
quackenbush The Stones' advertising people sound desperate too me, but if they get only a small percentage of schmos with to renew their RS.com accounts, the Stones will still make a ton of money. All of the money for none of the work. It must be nice to be a Stone these days.

One of the things I disliked about the website is that they asked the fans to write in with their questions and then the Stones were supposed to answer them, but that never happened did it? Needless to say, I will not buy a membership for a dvd I don't know much about?

What are some of your complaints about the website, besides the price, that keeps you from buying a membership?

24th June 2004 08:26 PM
crb69 Rip off...I paid the $100 last time to get tix & sat in the upper level at the Garden. Could have been better if you ask me. I could have passed on 85% of the fan club videos during the tour as well. Maybe $30 for membership but not much for $100. The novelty is definitely wearing off if you ask me. This new CD better kick ass!
24th June 2004 08:55 PM
Phog The price is ridiculous. I didn't buy the membership for the Licks tour and I don't regret it. $100 for the extras at the website seems unrealistic to me. This time 'round they can't even tease you with tickets (officially anyway). If there were a guarantee of theater tickets, however, I would pay with no problem. $30-$50 seems like a fair membership fee.
24th June 2004 09:03 PM
MrPleasant "Complaints"?

Where's the new album???

24th June 2004 09:05 PM
Nellcote BRING IT ON!!!
Before Licks, there was no fan club..
The way I see it, anything we get is a gift..
There will never be another rock group with such a history..
In the sand speck of time, the bling spent is meaningless..

CARRY ON!

As The Faces once said....

"But While I Was Here, I Had Me A Real Good Time...."
24th June 2004 09:20 PM
luxury1 Well said Nelly, well said.
I am a sucker for the website/fanclub. I love all that crap. I dont mind the 100 bucks, really. The Stones have been a big part of my life for decades and decades. I view all this as a gift, actually, cus I remember the days when I was 15 yrs old, glued to WNEW FM waiting for them to play a Stones montage so I could call in and hopefully (never) win tickets. And then there were the postcard fiascos. Hundreds!! I loved all that crap too. This just brings me closer to the band, in my warped view of things. And I cant think of a cool quote to end my post, damn it.
24th June 2004 09:31 PM
Nellcote WOW, Luxy, Keep the "way back machine" on....
Hanging from the 1st balcony in '72 after sending in those
lottery postcards, Christ there's the throwback..
Standing in line at Ticketron (yes that was no typo) at Sears in '75 with the line snaking thru lingere (YES!)..
Standing in line to see "Ladies & Gentlemen"
Driving to Buffalo to see them in '78, in a convertible,
and a buddy rolling Gold, playing a gitar...
Walking into the El Mocambo just to say you were there..
I had my share of frayed fingers from dialing (rotary)
calls to win that crap, pretty lucky.
And, no FAN CLUB! Or maybe some meek attempts..
All you had was Creem, Rolling Stone, Hit Parade..
When my son was four, he heard me on the radio winning
Voodoo Lounge disc, so yeah, once it's got you, it is in you..
A $100. A night out, could be a lousy meal
But, $100 towards the Stones, never dissapoints....

24th June 2004 09:33 PM
MP The site is a big come-on. They don't do anything really "special"...at least not special enough to cough up $65 to $100 bucks for. They haven't really changed anything on there since the tour ended in the Fall. And as stated above..they never did interact with the fans by answering questions...I mean, give me a bloody break with that shit about Mick asking which Stones song you like to listen to while making love....sounds more like a question for Teen Magazine....the only thing I like about the site is the merchandise section..but even that is a rip off with the prices they charge....I say screw it....just my opinion...
24th June 2004 10:23 PM
Mel Belli When I look at the quality of other bands' official websites - websites that don't cost a penny - the Stones' comes up pretty lame.
[Edited by Mel Belli]
24th June 2004 10:29 PM
exilestones@netscape The fan club writes:
"We've received so much feedback and so many fabulous suggestions on the Rolling Stones Official Fan Club DVD that we're going back to the laboratory to include some of your great ideas.
You can expect a special DVD that is packed with excitement and rarities!"

It's already made and now they are adding rarities that they won't tell us what they are. Maybe it's Satisfaction from Hampton???
24th June 2004 10:40 PM
T&A Anything we get is a gift? For $100? Where's the logic in that? No - I too am not getting suckered this time. They did not follow through last time with promises and as much as I like the band and their music, I admire itegrity a lot more...
24th June 2004 10:45 PM
Snappy McJack I think it's lame as hell.

You get 5% off of merchandice -- 5%!!! WTF is that!?

They show you video footage of celebrities talking about the Stones: *hands moving in motion simulating masturbation* -- big friggin' deal what they think.

And, wow! They show us clips of songs that we've heard thousands of times live. What more are they going to change in the song? Is Chuck going to do some dance with Mick?

And this "you get the tickets" gimmick is outrageously cheesy. It's not hard to get tickets to a Stones show. If it were for getting first acess to theatre shows, then maybe a membership of $50 would seem fitting. Otherwise, fuck it -- you'll get my money from album purchases, merchandice purchases, and ticket purchases, but you aren't going to get a "free" $100 from me.
25th June 2004 12:49 AM
MarthaMyDear I agree with Snappy McJack 100% and T&A saying: "They did not follow through last time with promises and as much as I like the band and their music, I admire integrity a lot more...", etc.!!!

I deleted my posts in a previous thread about the official fan club because, well, I got paranoid... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, to me, that's ok. since I have posted a number of times complaining about the high ticket prices and, to be honest, I think $100.00 for a fan club is a HUGE RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The ONLY reason why I joined the fan club before was for a shot at those theatre/club tickets and, obviously, that's how they bait us into paying so much!!! I DO like some of the merchandise but a 5% discount is NOTHING (you can buy their merchandise ANYWAYS if you're not a member) and I have a BIG Stones t-shirt collection (as well as a good Stones belt buckle, books, collectibles, a couple of autographs, etc., collection, etc.) with most of my favorite t-shirts coming from a secret used vintage and designer clothing store I shop at for anywhere from $5.00 to about $15.00 AT THE MOST PER SHIRT IN NEW CONDITION (YES, NEW!!! And, at least one of them is a shirt from the official store!!! lol........ LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P lol........ :P lol... )... You can, also, find a ton of good Stones t-shirts, merchandise, and collectibles on eBay (skip the high-priced ones, of course, unless it's an ULTRA-RARE COLLECTABLE!!!) and here and there and at alot of record stores where just about anyone lives (as well as used and vintage clothing stores, etc.)!!! Sometimes you have to dig but I have really found some cool shit doing that!!! There is a store I can think of off the top of my head in L.A. that sells all kinds of rock merchandise and they have Stones merchandise there and at least some of it isn't a part of the official site's line of merchandise... Here is a store close to where I'm moving to called Rockaway Records who sell ALOT of Stones collectibles and some collectable t-shirts, etc., also: http://www.rockaway.com

And, as for fan clubs... I have ALL I FRICKIN' NEED right here and it's FREE!!! Does the official site have get-togethers for fans during tours?!?!?! NO!!! And, that's only one example out of, actually, ALOT of what they don't have that you can get here for FREE so I want to thank the Unholy Trinity for this place!!! And, I don't know what I'm going to do when they announce the tour in regards to joining this fan club because I DO want to see another club/theatre show so I'll have to see... But, I am definitely NOT joining BEFORE they announce a tour, THAT'S for sure!!! I'll have to see if there is another way of getting a club/theatre ticket 'cause I TOTALLY agree with T&A ("They did not follow through last time with promises and as much as I like the band and their music, I admire integrity a lot more...")!!! ROCK ON!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha, Bargain-Hunter (And, DAMN proud of it 'cause it's really saved me some serious cash and it's quite fun, also!!! ROCK ON!!! PEACE!!! ) ***

[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
25th June 2004 10:53 AM
Snappy McJack Actually, the more I think about it, I might cave in:

" We are also pleased to announce RollingStones.com email! That's right - as an official Fan Club member you will now have a [email protected] email address! These addresses are only available to Fan Club members and staff - get yours today! "

Just for this the fee is worth it. I think I will get an adress like you_don'[email protected] or something quite familiar to it.
25th June 2004 10:59 AM
MarthaMyDear LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I
THOUGHT YOU WERE SERIOUS!!! ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
lol....... lol........ What a
rip!!! lol................. LOL!!!!!!! PEACE!!!
ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
25th June 2004 11:14 AM
jb I think it is a great opportunity for fans to have the opportunity to score better than average seats, buy various tour packages,and to view behind the scene vidoes..Thanks guys for caring about your fans!!!
25th June 2004 11:49 AM
Gazza yes...both of them!
25th June 2004 03:00 PM
quackenbush Why don't they let current RS.com membership holders sample the supposedly new and improved RS.com? Most likely the changes they make are cosmetic. Like last the last tour, the Stones may give ticket holders free memberships. The special dvd will get burnt and traded, and copies will go up on Ebay.
26th June 2004 12:17 AM
MarthaMyDear
quote:
I think it is a great opportunity for fans to have the opportunity to score better than average seats,
Yes, but only an OPPORTUNITY if you are LUCKY!!! Not a DEFINITE FACT!!! And, that only applies to club/theatre shows (you can get great tickets to the arena and stadium shows through other means and just by paying the face value amount)!!! I'm not quite sure $100.00 is worth a CHANCE at getting good seats and/or theatre/club tix when it's not a GUARANTEE!!! By joining the fan club, you are paying to be able to purchase tix through the Pre-Sales, and that's really the only advantage I see, but $100.00 is alot of money for alot of people these days!!! If you don't pay that, you can still get tix through the regular ticket sales!!!
quote:
buy variaous tour packages
Weren't their packages OUTRAGEOUSLY-PRICED, if I remember correctly?!?!?! There were at least two other companies who had some nice packages available that were less expensive and seemed good!!! It might have just been one company but either one company was called Event Travel/ETS (http://eventtravel.com) or there were two companies and one was called Event travel and one was called ETS... If there are any companies doing packages for the next tour, I'll post that info. on this board!!!
quote:
and to view behind the scene vidoes..
You can get that on the Forty Licks DVD as well as trees, right???
quote:
Thanks guys for caring about your fans!!!
I DON'T thank them for charging so damn much... I thank my friends who I worked with to get the great tix we got and who worked hard on getting EXCELLENT seats, etc., and I thank MYSELF for working hard to get some tix with my friend who I saw them here with in L.A., and I thank the Stones for working so hard for this tour but I still believe the fan club, merchandise, and ticket prices (DEFINITELY excluding the club/theatre shows, of course!!!) could (and should) be lower...

Josh!!! You should have bought a club/theatre ticket with the money you have!!! What's up with that?!?!?! Did you try for those tix at all?!?!?! Something has to be done about that... My friend and I here in L.A. had a system and I lucked out and got our Wiltern tix... I'll let you know what we did 'cause it really has worked for me in the past... TAKE CARE!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
26th June 2004 06:29 AM
shakedhandswithkeith I paid the 100$ and I got 2 tix for the astoria, I`m sure nobody from this board had get a ticket on the normal way. and if you add the astoria ticketprice with the 100 bucks you will see, that we didn`t paid more for a clubgig as for an stadium show.

I will pay the 100 $ again to get club tickests
26th June 2004 09:00 AM
Bob Tamp I think the Dvd crap about listening to fans desires is frankly a bunch of bullshit. Who on this board gave the fan club feedback anyway? I think it is a marketing ploy as usual. I wonder if anyone will get their DVD by the end of the summer. I had to wait like 6 months before I got the CD and cap.
I am a sucker and will pay the fee, but I think it will be more of the same. Just hoping they get the new record out by the end of the year, and it ROCKS.
26th June 2004 09:37 AM
Stray Cat UK TEST
26th June 2004 09:41 AM
Stray Cat UK I suggest a boycott until tour is announced.There is NO other reason to cough up.
We have paid enough,with the most expensive tickets in rock,ditto.merchandice,dvds etc. etc.

DON'T DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
26th June 2004 10:28 AM
Nellcote Boycott?
Really?
What a concept!
Think it will work?
I think you should go to keithrichards.com
There's an area where you can post him
a question.
Tell him you are going to boycott, that it's not fair that he and his band charge us more money for dvds and access to tickets.
Then report Keith's reply back to all of us.
That will be worth reading....
Laughter is good for your health, it's a known fact....

26th June 2004 10:43 AM
F505 RS.com is one of the greatest rock and roll swindles in history but what do you expect with a lead singer who studied economics?
26th June 2004 11:19 AM
Jumping Jack This is just a way to put Cohl's lame ass son on the payroll. Dump the slackard and get some pros to run the website.
26th June 2004 01:56 PM
Ruby Tuesday
quote:
F505 wrote:
RS.com is one of the greatest rock and roll swindles in history but what do you expect with a lead singer who studied economics?

funny, that you can register for free at MickJagger.com while rs.com and KeithRichards.com charge you for the same "service"....
26th June 2004 02:16 PM
Main Offender About the new e-mail name - is this an e-mail that I can use outside of the RS.com site? Or is it like the KR site where the KR e-mail is only usable in the site itself?
Will I now have another viable e-mail account which says Joe [email protected] - which I can use in the real world?? What do you all think?
26th June 2004 02:37 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
WOW, Luxy, Keep the "way back machine" on....
Hanging from the 1st balcony in '72 after sending in those
lottery postcards, Christ there's the throwback..
Standing in line at Ticketron (yes that was no typo) at Sears in '75 with the line snaking thru lingere (YES!)..
Standing in line to see "Ladies & Gentlemen"
Driving to Buffalo to see them in '78, in a convertible,
and a buddy rolling Gold, playing a gitar...
Walking into the El Mocambo just to say you were there..
I had my share of frayed fingers from dialing (rotary)
calls to win that crap, pretty lucky.
And, no FAN CLUB! Or maybe some meek attempts..
All you had was Creem, Rolling Stone, Hit Parade..
When my son was four, he heard me on the radio winning
Voodoo Lounge disc, so yeah, once it's got you, it is in you..
A $100. A night out, could be a lousy meal
But, $100 towards the Stones, never dissapoints....

Oh Nelly..You and Lux are bringing back some very happy memories...Like running home from High School to tune in to a.m. Canadian news to check on Keith's trial. Then getting the name of the Judge and writing to him begging for leniency. Or skipping class in '75 when the Band announced that the So American leg had been cancelled and they were returning to Buffalo. My best friend and I ran into a local radio station screaming "The British are coming back." They promptly played "Gimme Shelter" in our honor. Or the best...same friend and I staking out Mick's Hotel suite in '78 for hours (at one point we were on the roof of the Hotel ) and finally having the nerve to knock. He answered!!!

There are so many more stories...just suffice it to say that when I run into one of many of my old buddies...I am always introduced to the wife/husband/life-partner as "This is the craziest Stones fan I have ever known."

So now I'm in my 40's. MY band is still at it. Thank God. And when I'm at a show, I'm 18 again. No price for that!!

$100.00 is nothing!! IMHO!!

LJ.
26th June 2004 03:21 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

$100.00 is nothing!! IMHO!!

LJ.

Oh yeah? "Nothing" you say? That's the kind of ignorance I'd expect from someone that doesn't understand that some people have to use that $100 on something more important!
Page: 1 2