ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Ascot June 18, 2004
Thanks moy!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ALLMAN BROTHERS & ROLLINGSTONE Return to archive
23rd June 2004 10:50 PM
alwaysrockn So i was sitting here at UMG listening to rolling stone's "sticky fingers". and someone here suggested that if i liked rolling stones so much, i should check out allman brothers band. So i went out and bought allman bros new anthology, "Stand Back". And you know what? they were right, i love that cd, its two discs of their 35 yr career, and great jacket with essays and pics...its one of my new favorite cds. but anyways, rolling stones and allman brothers do share some similarity, and i guess theyre both classic rock bands...is anyone else agreeing? that, as a rollingstones fan, allman brothers rock it just as hard?
24th June 2004 07:16 AM
egon i can only say "welcome", cos i wouldn't know any oldmen song even if it bit me in the ass.
24th June 2004 07:17 AM
egon so welcome!
24th June 2004 08:01 AM
Taptrick

Like them both - I'd say the Allman Bros have always been a more improvisational band, especially live. But I think the Stones rock harder.
24th June 2004 08:05 AM
T&A Musically, they are miles apart. They share the love and roots of blues, though. Definitely one of my top five fave bands...
24th June 2004 08:05 AM
Moonisup they gave us Chuck leavell
24th June 2004 03:29 PM
ResidentMule Chuck Leavell did some very impressive stuff with the Allmans - I think he's much more suited for thatband than he is the Stones, even though I have no major complaints about his work with the Stones
24th June 2004 04:24 PM
Bloozehound I love 'em. One of the great 70's bands, but like most blues-based music they're best experienced live(IMO) & definitely with Duane. So that wittles your choices down, but the live "At Fillmore East" is available in like 3 different versions now, throw a scope on one, it's not gonna bite ya.

Allman's were all about soul, they had it, they knew it & very few others could match it. I guess in that respect they are similar to the Stones.

Just my 2 cents...

[Edited by Bloozehound]
26th June 2004 01:32 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! Damn, it sounds like you've just heard of ABB. I mean, they've only been around now for about 35 years!
28th June 2004 05:48 PM
Joey
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
Chuck Leavell did some very impressive stuff with the Allmans - I think he's much more suited for thatband than he is the Stones, even though I have no major complaints about his work with the Stones

Bring Back Matt Clifford !

BRING BACK ERNIE WATTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!