ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Ascot June 18, 2004
Thanks moy!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Waiting for Don Was may be the hold-up on the furthering of any recording sessions......From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2
22nd June 2004 10:55 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Joey wrote:
Thanks So Much IanBillen
( Rocks Off Member )

No a Problem at all. Wanted to share something that was factual. And I may not know what Don Was's plans are fpr The Stones if infact there are any involving him but I definately know he is working on the Solomon Burke album till late June.
So I figured this could have some effect on the dates of any further Rolling Stones sessions.
Ian
22nd June 2004 11:02 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I'm with you Gazza. I'd love to see the Stones get together with Daniel Lanois.

I have heard from a guy named Ben Elliot that the Stones are conciously trying to produce a great album. Elliot is Keith's personal engineer and is on call 24-7. He told me that the songs all have a very cool rough vibe that reminded him of classic Stones. He went on to say that the material he has heard has him psyched for an album that could very well give the Stones a very big "going out" album. He says that they are concious about their legacy and that both Mick and Keith are working closer together on these tracks than any since Voodoo Lounge. They both want this disk to be received well by both critic and fan alike. Ben Elliot is very much an inside man and I take him at his word. If these reports are true then I can't wait for the release date. Time will tell.

Riffhard

Hi RiffHard. What do you mean by Ben Elliot being Keith's personal engineer? For Keith solo or his personal guitar engineer ot exactly what? Also is this what you heard directly from his mouth? And when is this thing tentatively being released? Are The Stones putting together as good as album as they possibly can and of what quality is the new stuff? Do they realize they are under the gun on this one and need to really deliver on this album?
Ian

22nd June 2004 11:14 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Has anyone ever tried a "nuclear waste"? Tasted like the ruin of good vodka to me.

YES IT'S QUITE GOOD...ORANGE STOLI AND SUNKIST...I DONT KNOW HOW HE CAN HAVE MORE THAN A COUPLE THOUGH..I LIKE IT BETTER THAN JACK AND GINGER ALE.
24th June 2004 12:16 PM
tumbling dice Rick Rubin is a good name,he did a very good album with Mick,and he�s got respect because of his late work with Jonny Cash,to produce a record with Keith the guy needs to be cool and got some respect.
24th June 2004 12:51 PM
Mikey I agree with Corgi 100%. I can't believe that with Out of Control, Saint of Me, Lowdown & Flip the Switch, ASMB was the choice for the first released single?!

Frankly, I don't think it matters who produces what or who is or isn't brought in or anything peripheral - what's going to decide whether the album is good or not is whether Keith & Ronnie can still squeeze some magic from the guitars and come up with some fresh riffs and not recycled "cousins".
24th June 2004 03:39 PM
Bob Tamp I hope this Ben Elliott is right, but I will not get psyched up until I hear the thing once it comes out. Every album coming out since 1980 has been hailed as the return of the Stones. The Stones are artists, and I think every studio album they actually do try to come up with a classic. Do you think Mick and Keith sit around and discuss " let's make a shitty album"? Sometimes the songs work, and sometimes they don't. I think the band has become so versatile that they all have styles of songs that they like( mick-dance tunes, keith raggae etc) that they have tried to make the albums with a lot of different styles on them which sounds good in theory, but doesnt always work. That's why I think all the albums since Tattoo have lacked a cohesiveness. It's a hard concept to explain, but the albums just don't flow the same anymore.
They need to do 12 songs only(not 15) and have absolutely no filler.

I would like Rick Rubin to produce the next Stones album. He did a great job on Tom Petty's Wild Flowers. I remember hearing that there was lots of friction between him and Jagger on Wandering Spirit.
24th June 2004 05:09 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I'd also love to see the Stones work with Daniel Lanois.

Nice. Interesting. (Not going to happen, IMO).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dylan drifted on down to New Orleans in March 1989 to begin work on his 25th studio album, and was by his standards, effusive in his praise of Lanois. He told Edna Gundersen of USA Today: "It's very hard to find a producer that can play. A lot of them can't even engineer. They've just got a big title and know how to spend a lot of money. It was thrilling to run into Daniel because he's a competent musician and he knows how to record with modern facilities. For me, that was lacking in the past".

As Isis editor Derek Barker wrote in issue No. 28 "Daniel's presence... is easily identifiable by that dark, mysterious feel which runs through much of his work; Gabriel's 'Red Rain', Robertson's 'Somewhere Down The Crazy River' and latterly Dylan's own 'Man In A Long Black Coat' all carry that unmistakable Lanois trademark". That "trademark" is an ethereal wraparound sound; ambient music which draws on Lanois' avowed fondness for music that has gone, but which he is capable of rekindling with state of the art technology. (Humphries, Bauldie, "Oh No! Not Another Bob Dylan Book", Square One, 1991).
-----------------------------------------------------------
It's more the ambient of "Blinded by rainbows" (U2 eighties style) than "Heaven". Anyway, I don't think Mick would go for an openly retroish sound (sounds good for Keith, of course), i.e. Time Out Of Mind, Oh Mercy. (Not that Lanois is a one trick pony.)

What about Phil Spector?... Now THAT would be fun.

25th June 2004 04:37 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Bob Tamp wrote:
I hope this Ben Elliott is right, but I will not get psyched up until I hear the thing once it comes out. Every album coming out since 1980 has been hailed as the return of the Stones. The Stones are artists, and I think every studio album they actually do try to come up with a classic. Do you think Mick and Keith sit around and discuss " let's make a shitty album"? Sometimes the songs work, and sometimes they don't. I think the band has become so versatile that they all have styles of songs that they like( mick-dance tunes, keith raggae etc) that they have tried to make the albums with a lot of different styles on them which sounds good in theory, but doesnt always work. That's why I think all the albums since Tattoo have lacked a cohesiveness. It's a hard concept to explain, but the albums just don't flow the same anymore.
Well I think what Ben Elliot was saying (or what he supposeably knows) is that Mick and Keith realize that it has been 7 years since The Stones last studio release so this album is really anticipated. If it is just "OK" everyone will say...."Out of two years of on and off recording and all the anticipation of this long awaited studio album this is all you came up with?"
Also with Bridges The Stones clearly dabbled in other sounds, styles, and put together a purposely different type of Stones album. They seemed just as focused (well atleast Mick) on making the album different than all the other Stones albums as well as quality. It was a little risky. Now I am sure they realize to let the "be different" sounding thing go and just make it damn good!
Also if they produce an average album people will shout that the reason they did the Licks tour was obvious. Critics would say "They cant do great studio work anymore. One last try wasn't even worth it."
The Stones also realize that it is indeed time for a doozey.
Bridges wasn't too terribly long after Voodoo and Voodoo was so well recieved that they could pass with a less than totaly 100% perfect album at that point and so They treied to concentrate on making it different. Now they gotta deliver and they know it.
I think this is what Ben Elliot meant by The Stones are conciously trying to make a great album this time.
Ian

They need to do 12 songs only(not 15) and have absolutely no filler.

I would like Rick Rubin to produce the next Stones album. He did a great job on Tom Petty's Wild Flowers. I remember hearing that there was lots of friction between him and Jagger on Wandering Spirit.

25th June 2004 04:38 AM
IanBillen Well,
I think what Ben Elliot was saying (or what he supposeably knows) is that Mick and Keith realize that it has been 7 years since The Stones last studio release so this album is really anticipated. If it is just "OK" everyone will say...."Out of two years of on and off recording and all the anticipation of this long awaited studio album this is all you came up with?"
Also with Bridges The Stones clearly dabbled in other sounds, styles, and put together a purposely different type of Stones album. They seemed just as focused (well atleast Mick) on making the album different than all the other Stones albums as well as quality. It was a little risky. Now I am sure they realize to let the "be different" sounding thing go and just make it damn good!
Also if they produce an average album people will shout that the reason they did the Licks tour was obvious. Critics would say "They cant do great studio work anymore. One last try wasn't even worth it."
The Stones also realize that it is indeed time for a doozey.
Bridges wasn't too terribly long after Voodoo and Voodoo was so well recieved that they could pass with a less than totaly 100% perfect album at that point and so They treied to concentrate on making it different. Now they gotta deliver and they know it.
I think this is what Ben Elliot meant by The Stones are conciously trying to make a great album this time.
Ian
25th June 2004 09:48 AM
Main Offender Ian, you cannot know how much I hope you're right.
Page: 1 2