ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Ascot June 18, 2004
Thanks moy!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Waiting for Don Was may be the hold-up on the furthering of any recording sessions......From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2
21st June 2004 11:56 PM
IanBillen
As I understand, Don Was is working on a new Solomon Burke album and should be finished up with it by the end of June. Maybe The Stones have alot of songs ready to roll and are waiting on him because they do not want to take any material any further without his production value. Remember when Don was asked a month ago if he was to Produce the new Stones album that he stated he "Hoped to work on the new album" and that infact "the sessions were starting soon". He also stated that there are things from the Paris sessions in 2002 they will look into because there were some good things in there and that as well "there are newer songs that they will try" in the upcoming recording sessions. My guess is he is going to do it and I know for sure Don Was is working on the new Solomon Burke album till late June. Don's unavailability at the present is a good possible reason no more work has been executed on the project as a band. The Stones may very well just be ready and waiting for production input on most of the material by now.
Ian
22nd June 2004 01:34 AM
Bloozehound It's a distinct possibility.
22nd June 2004 02:22 AM
corgi37 Surely after over 40 years in "da biz", they'd be confident and knowledgeable enough to do production on their own!
22nd June 2004 02:25 AM
IanBillen
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Surely after over 40 years in "da biz", they'd be confident and knowledgeable enough to do production on their own!

Yester-year yes, now things are different. They want a producer now to assist and get a third opinion.
Ian
22nd June 2004 02:27 AM
IanBillen
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Surely after over 40 years in "da biz", they'd be confident and knowledgeable enough to do production on their own!

Yester-year yes, now things are different. They want a producer now to assist and get a third opinion.
Ian
22nd June 2004 05:41 AM
Monkeytonkman What about Mutt Lange or Rick Rubin as producer?

Or will they make the sound a bit too slick, like Don Was did on Voodoo etc?

I mean, i really like most of Voodoo Lounge, especially the rockers, I didn't think they sounded too polished, kept some of their raw edge - I go Wild, you got me rocking, sparks will fly. all good stuff man!
22nd June 2004 07:26 AM
justforyou They should get some other producer, Was was and now they need someone who is. The sound on VL, in my ears, is smooth and rounded - quite polished, and lackluster lyrics. B2B seemed to go towards the edges, but lacked the Stones spirit - like what about this guy Waddy, and how come Mick and Keith didn't work on some harmonies together ? Again the lyrics were well below par.
[Edited by justforyou]
22nd June 2004 07:31 AM
Gazza Mutt Lange?? Good God, no. never in a million years.

Rick Rubin, by all meanns, yes. Now that he no longer has Johnny Cash to work with on a regular basis, its high time he worked his magic with another all time legend and got them back to basics.

I'd also love to see the Stones work with Daniel Lanois.
22nd June 2004 09:29 AM
Main Offender No, not Mutt Lange!! But Don Was still IS even though he's Was. And they feel comfortable with Don Was-Is.
22nd June 2004 09:40 AM
Joey Thanks So Much IanBillen
( Rocks Off Member )
22nd June 2004 09:49 AM
Monkeytonkman I can understand why everyone would not want Mutt lange to produce.

And I agree, I just put that name into the hat because he has always had a lot of commrcial success with bands when he's produced them.

Clearly the Stones - Keef especially, would have no time for Mutt's fannying around in the studio. It just seems that everything he touches (at least in the eighties and early ninetees) seems to go multi platinum - Mick would love that!
22nd June 2004 10:06 AM
Riffhard I'm with you Gazza. I'd love to see the Stones get together with Daniel Lanois.

I have heard from a guy named Ben Elliot that the Stones are conciously trying to produce a great album. Elliot is Keith's personal engineer and is on call 24-7. He told me that the songs all have a very cool rough vibe that reminded him of classic Stones. He went on to say that the material he has heard has him psyched for an album that could very well give the Stones a very big "going out" album. He says that they are concious about their legacy and that both Mick and Keith are working closer together on these tracks than any since Voodoo Lounge. They both want this disk to be received well by both critic and fan alike. Ben Elliot is very much an inside man and I take him at his word. If these reports are true then I can't wait for the release date. Time will tell.

Riffhard
22nd June 2004 10:31 AM
Gazza >And I agree, I just put that name into the hat because he has always had a lot of commrcial success with bands when he's produced them.

I know, but theyre generally god-awful soulless AOR "rawk" rubbish like Def Leppard or bastardized country like his bloody wife. With that pedigree, he'd make the Stones sell lots of units but they'd end up sounding like Bon Jovi.

>Clearly the Stones - Keef especially, would have no time for Mutt's fannying around in the studio. It just seems that everything he touches (at least in the eighties and early ninetees) seems to go multi platinum - Mick would love that!

thing is, though. Mick has a better track record than Keith has for getting things done in the studio and getting them out to the public. Keith tends to grind stuff out. Both of Keith's solo albums took about a year to complete. And then there's all the stuff he's supposedly cut in his basement studio over the last few years, his album with Hubert Sumlin etc....

Riffie - I have very good hopes for the next Stones album. Not least because of the time thats elapsed since the last one, but because I think they know its more likely than not going to be their last studio album and they WILL be anxious to get it right.
22nd June 2004 11:51 AM
Mel Belli I'd have higher hopes for the next album if I were in the studio telling them which songs to finish and which versions of the keepers they should keep.
22nd June 2004 11:53 AM
Fiji Joe Mutt Lange? Intriguing...The Stones could use their own version of "Feel Like a Woman"
22nd June 2004 11:53 AM
jb I hope they go way back in the vaults and re-work some hits....As a Stones fan, nothing would make me happier than having a #1 album and #1 single again..this would go a long way in enhancing their diminishing legacy.
22nd June 2004 11:57 AM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
I hope they go way back in the vaults and re-work some hits....As a Stones fan, nothing would make me happier than having a #1 album and #1 single again..this would go a long way in enhancing their diminishing legacy.

I think the days of albums are over for all bands

Springsteen, Dylan, McCartney all have put out new stuff and it basically tanked

For starters they can't get airplay on radio stations

I do wish Huey Lewis would get back in the studio however
22nd June 2004 11:58 AM
Gazza I think after 7 years I'd like to believe they have enough creativity in them to give us at least a dozen new songs.

Keep the left overs for boxed sets when they're finished as a band.

and whats been on bootlegs is mostly half arsed demos and rough work outs of songs. Theres very little of note thats actually circulated thats actually polished and releasable. Of course, you have to remember that all we've been privy to hearing is what HAS circulated. There could well be alternative and more finished takes of many of those songs that we just havent heard..but for the most part, songs are left off an album for two simple reasons. Either theyre not finished properly or they were finished and werent very good.
22nd June 2004 12:03 PM
telecaster Laugh if you must but the quality of Stones albums declined when Keith switched from bourbon to vodka

Break out the "Rebel Yell" and you will have your classic Stones album
22nd June 2004 12:04 PM
jb
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Laugh if you must but the quality of Stones albums declined when Keith switched from bourbon to vodka

I think you make a good point!
22nd June 2004 12:09 PM
Gazza >Laugh if you must but the quality of Stones albums declined when Keith switched from bourbon to vodka

LOL

theres your new album title right there.."Nuclear Waste". name it after Keith's tipple of choice.
22nd June 2004 12:14 PM
LadyJane
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Laugh if you must but the quality of Stones albums declined when Keith switched from bourbon to vodka

Tele..you are absolutely correct! Excellent observation.

C'mon Keith...Bring back Jack!

LJ.
22nd June 2004 12:20 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I'm with you Gazza. I'd love to see the Stones get together with Daniel Lanois.

I have heard from a guy named Ben Elliot that the Stones are conciously trying to produce a great album. Elliot is Keith's personal engineer and is on call 24-7. He told me that the songs all have a very cool rough vibe that reminded him of classic Stones. He went on to say that the material he has heard has him psyched for an album that could very well give the Stones a very big "going out" album. He says that they are concious about their legacy and that both Mick and Keith are working closer together on these tracks than any since Voodoo Lounge. They both want this disk to be received well by both critic and fan alike. Ben Elliot is very much an inside man and I take him at his word. If these reports are true then I can't wait for the release date. Time will tell.

Riffhard

I am now as giddy as a little school girl!
22nd June 2004 12:23 PM
Mel Belli Has anyone ever tried a "nuclear waste"? Tasted like the ruin of good vodka to me.
22nd June 2004 04:52 PM
Joey
quote:
telecaster wrote:

You raise a very salient / interesting point tele ................and I thank you for your cogent inputs .

J. Fly !
22nd June 2004 05:28 PM
Bloozehound actually I noticed quite a difference after he switched from the smack to the Yeyo
22nd June 2004 07:43 PM
Bob Tamp I have a gut feeling that the next album will rock. The boys are due since I think the last great cohesive sounding one was Tattoo.
yes, I love lots of all the albums since but there seemed to be something missing. Time to release an album with no filler, boys.
and play it live too. I would like the next tour to have at least 5 new songs each night. I know the masses love the warhorses, but i am tired of them with the exception of Tumbling Dice. HTW would be great in acoustic like Country Honk. I know I am dreaming, because the millions love those songs.
Hopefully in clubs, they will do no war horses and really dig into the vaults. give brown sugar etc etc a break for the hardcore fans at the club shows. Just my opinion, and opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
22nd June 2004 08:54 PM
mac_daddy i like the idea of don was or rick rubin. the latter is a huge egomaniac, and he almost ruined the black crows on more than one occassion, but the stones are hard enough that he will not be a threat to them. he has a good ear, and he likes the stones' sound. i am pretty sure that he pulled some great sounding tape with johnny, and that he could do the same with the stones...

the thing about was is that he left some of the best sh*t off the VL. stew and brew are infinitely more enjoyable than the studio release (esp the KR VL). ditto for the backing/ghost local cuts. but the most noteable omission to me is the slower, longer "you got e rockin'" - how that got left behind is beyond me...

as for lanois - stranger things have happened (eno is working with paul simon right now). buti think lanois has a tendency to meander. i think the sones need someone with a bit more direction (like rubin)...

fun to speculate, though.
[Edited by mac_daddy]
22nd June 2004 09:46 PM
Soldatti We're waiting this album for so long time now, that any thing that they release will be good received.
[Edited by Soldatti]
22nd June 2004 10:26 PM
corgi37 Just so long as Keith sings a rocker. If he does only ballads, and 2 of them!!!, I'l screa. And eave the reggae alone. Its so boring and out of date. Cut right down on the guests. Ronnie's sober, so surely Waddy aint needed. And go back to those cool "out of synch" backing vocals. You know, like Monkey Man and Brown Sugar. I love Keith on backing vocals, as opposed to Lisa and Bernard.

And for God sake, choose a killer 1st single. Apart from Love is strong, all 1st singles since Undercover have been woeful choices. To this day, i say Anybody seen my baby affected album sales of B2B.
Page: 1 2