ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Ascot June 18, 2004
Thanks moy!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hank Williams/ Honkey Tonk Blues Return to archive Page: 1 2
21st June 2004 10:23 AM
Ten Thousand Motels A rare glimpse at the Hank behind the myth

By Charlie McCollum

Mercury News

Before he died at the age of 29 on New Year's Day 1953, Hank Williams recorded just 66 songs under his own name.

Yet in the pantheon of American popular music, Williams still looms large. His songs include such classics as ``I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry,'' ``Cold Cold Heart,'' ``Move It on Over'' and ``Your Cheatin' Heart.'' His influence, as a songwriter and as a vocal stylist, has spilled down through the years to Lucinda Williams, Bob Dylan, Norah Jones, Willie Nelson and the late Ray Charles. More than any other artist, he defined country music as it has evolved over the past half-century.

But like other iconic figures such as bluesman Robert Johnson, Hank Williams the man has largely been lost to the fog of myth and legend. Which is what makes tonight's installment of PBS's ``American Masters'' -- ``Hank Williams: Honky Tonk Blues'' (8 p.m., Ch. 9) -- such an intriguing documentary.

Filmmaker Morgan Neville, who explored Muddy Waters for ``American Masters'' last year, has rounded up a number of Williams' friends, members of his band, other country artists of the time, son Hank Jr. and grandson Hank III, and even the singer-songwriter's second wife, Billie Jean Horton, to talk about the man. If aspects of Williams' psyche remain elusive, the insights offered at least strip away some of the myth and cut to the things in the artist's life that formed the groundwork for his incredible musical canon.

``There was nothing smooth and symmetrical and complete about Hank,'' says author Rick Bragg, a true son of the South, in the film. ``He was all rough edges and ragged parts and a puzzle that didn't quite fit together.''

Neville has also unearthed some incredible archival footage and, for those who have never seen Williams perform in his prime, those moments may come as something of a revelation. Watching Williams wail through ``Your Cheatin' Heart'' is to see a pillar on which much of modern-day American music was built.

And maybe, in some ways, that's all we ultimately need to know about Hank Williams. One longtime friend says in ``Honky Tonk Blues'' that she is often asked what Williams was really like.

Her reply: ``All you have to do is listen to his music.''

21st June 2004 10:27 AM
Gazza Only 66 songs??

I'm presuming the "under his own name" disclaimer means theyre not counting the recordings he did as "Luke The Drifter"

Hank's amazing in every conceivable way. A king of rock 'n' roll who burnt out before rock 'n' roll was even invented.
21st June 2004 11:18 AM
polksalad69
21st June 2004 11:31 AM
Bloozehound 66 songs huh, I didn't know that either.
21st June 2004 01:55 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I think this is on TV (here in the States) tonight. I've never heard Hank-3. Is he any good?
21st June 2004 02:02 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
I think this is on TV (here in the States) tonight. I've never heard Hank-3. Is he any good?

I checked and it's not coming here, I'll doublecheck later.

III's more alt country, a bit more punky-rockabillish than traditional country, but he's not bad.

Worth a listen, he is a Williams after all.

21st June 2004 02:31 PM
polksalad69 Don't know if I'd call it alt country. I hate that term. Hardcore Honky Tonk. He plays hellbilly which is pretty heavy but not as heavy as Assjack which is hardcore/death metal.

quote:
polksalad69 wrote:
Nice to see this in the paper today even if she, yes, Michael is a she, got the day wrong.

The music man . . .
The hat trick: Hank Williams III, the grandson of the late, legendary Hank Williams, wowed 'em at the Double Door on Wednesday night with a three-way talent: Not only did he play classic country songs and original songs sung in his grandfather's style, but he wowed the crowd with a set of hardcore rock!

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sneed/cst-nws-sneed20.html

21st June 2004 02:39 PM
Main Offender I love Hank Sr. Do you people have "Timeless"?? Get it!!
21st June 2004 03:34 PM
polksalad69

Hank II = Jackass
21st June 2004 04:02 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
polksalad69 wrote:

Hank II = Jackass

You don't like Hank Jr ?
21st June 2004 05:20 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

You don't like Hank Jr ?

Some of his older stuff is good but I'm not a big fan.
21st June 2004 05:44 PM
Gazza Hank III, from what I've heard, is a lot more talented than Hank Jr.

21st June 2004 06:32 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Hank III, from what I've heard, is a lot more talented than Hank Jr.

Now you're talkin.

http://www.novogate.com/board/2891/index.php

[Edited by polksalad69]
21st June 2004 06:35 PM
not bound to please http://www.pbs.org/previews/american_masters_williams/
21st June 2004 07:02 PM
Bloozehound I dunno about this guys...see Hank Jr. is best known for his tounge-in-cheek, novelty songs, but he also wrote some excellent straight country songs that tend to be overlooked by all the popular silly stuff.

He's mainly about having a good time, kinda like what Keef says about rock n roll only being "below the waist" (or shoulders)

He's definitely talented, some are just seem put off by the silly aspects of his act.

21st June 2004 07:54 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
I dunno about this guys...see Hank Jr. is best known for his tounge-in-cheek, novelty songs, but he also wrote some excellent straight country songs that tend to be overlooked by all the popular silly stuff.

He's mainly about having a good time, kinda like what Keef says about rock n roll only being "below the waist" (or shoulders)

He's definitely talented, some are just seem put off by the silly aspects of his act.

His assclown side. The side that hangs out w/Kid Rock. There's also some funny live stuff out there of a drunk Jr. telling the crowd to suck his d*ck.

Shelton pays his respects even tho they dont get along. He did write some good songs and did have talent. Did...
21st June 2004 08:25 PM
Bloozehound I forget about Kid Rock.

Do they truly admire each other & like each others company, is it a publicity stunt by their record companies, or did all of Hank's rowdy friends just settle down and he's lonely - I'm not sure.

It doesn't really bother me, that's show Biz for ya.
21st June 2004 08:44 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
or did all of Hank's rowdy friends just settle down and he's lonely - I'm not sure.

haha ^^^
21st June 2004 11:55 PM
WildBillGrover
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

I checked and it's not coming here, I'll doublecheck later.

III's more alt country, a bit more punky-rockabillish than traditional country, but he's not bad.

Worth a listen, he is a Williams after all.

"...he's not bad"? Holy shit, Leroy, Hank III is one of the best country and metal artists alive today. He and guys like Wayne "The Train" Hancock and Dale Watson are the true faces of cool country music - not goof balls like Toby Keith, Alan Jackson and Skin-whya Twain. If you like real country, like Hank Sr., George Jones, Lefty Frizzell, Bob Wills and Merel Haggard, listen to Hank III.

The best place to start is at the Hank III Cussin' Board (http://www.novogate.com/board/2891/) to trade some of your live recordings for Hank III live recordings because III's studio albums are not nearly as ballsy. Don't offer any God damn Stevie Nicks for trade though - they'd know you weren't a serious music listener and you'd be laughed out of there pretty quickly!
22nd June 2004 12:10 AM
polksalad69
quote:
WildBillGrover wrote:

"...he's not bad"? Holy shit, Leroy, Hank III is one of the best country and metal artists alive today. He and guys like Wayne "The Train" Hancock and Dale Watson are the true faces of cool country music - not goof balls like Toby Keith, Alan Jackson and Skin-whya Twain. If you like real country, like Hank Sr., George Jones, Lefty Frizzell, Bob Wills and Merel Haggard, listen to Hank III.

The best place to start is at the Hank III Cussin' Board (http://www.novogate.com/board/2891/) to trade some of your live recordings for Hank III live recordings because III's studio albums are not nearly as ballsy. Don't offer any God damn Stevie Nicks for trade though - they'd know you weren't a serious music listener and you'd be laughed out of there pretty quickly!

So tell us how you really feel about Stevie and Fleetwood Mac.
22nd June 2004 12:27 AM
WildBillGrover
quote:
polksalad69 wrote:

So tell us how you really feel about Stevie and Fleetwood Mac.

Stevie Ray Vaughan was a fabulous musician and a hell of a nice guy too! But any serious music listener knows that Fleetwood Smack sucks!
22nd June 2004 12:34 AM
polksalad69 ^^^TY, now back to a Williams.

for a little hellbilly country music:

http://www.novogate.com/board/2891/195665-6.html
22nd June 2004 12:39 AM
WildBillGrover You're gonna scare 'em, PolkSalad. I can tell a lot of these people on the Rocks Off Board are into the "classic rock" genre atop of all else! This deviation from the middle of the road might shake 'em up a bit!
22nd June 2004 12:41 AM
WildBillGrover
22nd June 2004 12:49 AM
Taptrick

Anybody ever listen to David Allen Coe?

22nd June 2004 12:55 AM
WildBillGrover
quote:
Taptrick wrote:

Hell yes! Fabulous artist and redneck.

Feel free to hang out here:

http://www.novogate.com/board/2891/index.php

22nd June 2004 01:11 AM
Taptrick

Right now I'm listening to "I'd Like to Fuck the Shit Outta You" - funny song with great harmonies.
22nd June 2004 01:12 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
Taptrick wrote:

yep

Here's an cool old pic of him with Johnny Paycheck,
Paycheck the dude that turned Coe's "Take This Job and Shove it" into a hit.

22nd June 2004 01:15 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
Taptrick wrote:

Right now I'm listening to "I'd Like to Fuck the Shit Outta You" - funny song with great harmonies.

Ha!

I've heard "cum stains on the pillow" and a few others b4

22nd June 2004 05:42 AM
Gazza was Coe the guy who recorded "Suzie Shallowthroat" ?
Page: 1 2