ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Mick Jagger and Robbie Robertson by Robert Risko © 1987
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [THE ROLLING STONES] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Old God Almost Dead (Complete Crap or what?) Return to archive
06-22-02 09:56 PM
Honky Tonk Man Theres a new article sereis which started today in the Daily Mail. Its basically taken from this book. In the article it was saying how Mick and Keith hate each other, how Mick wishes Keith was still a junkie, (so Mick can solely deal with business activites), errm what else. How Keith used to fall asleep on stage. When did this happen?

Also how Brian used to beat girls black and blue and how Anita Pallenberg seemed to enjoy it!! How in 1966 they talleyd up their conquests. Bill had had 200 odd while Mick had 39

Im in no doubt that some of this tripe is loosley based on true facts, but i think its just supposed to be an enjoyable read rather then a "real life" account of the band.
06-22-02 10:32 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 there is evening wrong information concerning who appeared on songs. one example they claimed mick taylor played slide guitar on the studio version of Love in Vain.
06-22-02 10:54 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Does the book take *ahem* creative liberties? You bet yer ass. But then again, so did Andrew Oldham in promoting them, and so have they in Rollin' along through the years. It's very hard to get the *right* info on the Stones. I for one found the book, through the more creative stories, incredibly enjoyable. It was well written, and as long as you keep in mind that it's a tabloid account - confirmed facts mixed with wild stories to make it seem plausable - it's a great read.

The one at the end of the book - is there any shred of truth in that little story at all? The one with Keith stealing the guy's guitar? I just getting rises outta my friends who like heavy acid death metal and all that "neo-Satanist" crap, y'know, "This man is the original badass and all your bands sit at the feet of Keef Riff Hard."

-tSYX --- Has gotten another fucking guitar.
06-22-02 10:56 PM
Sir Stonesalot That book is pure hack.

Very little was done in the way of research, common myths that we all know to be bullshit are displayed as fact, and entire chapters are lifted from other bios and paraphrased. In fact, I don't think the author even got any one on one interview time with any of the existing band members.

You'll get better info from the Weekly World News.

It does have 2 very hot photos of Anita and Marianne. Those chicks had some great tits!
06-22-02 11:20 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
You'll get better info from the Weekly World News.

WWN Headlines-to-be:

"Keith Richards Miracle Facelift!"
"Charlie Watts Looks Interested At Stones-Related Comment!"
"Bill Wyman regrets inability to join band on World Tour - Sends Six-year-old Girlfriend Instead!"
"Ronnie Wood Clean!"
"Queen Knights Mick Jagger - Prince Chuck Says: 'She's nuts!'"

Hey... wait a minute...

-tYSX --- Well, I liked it...
06-23-02 02:42 AM
Stonesmillenium2001 this book and the christopher anderson book are the worst books i have read.
06-23-02 03:48 AM
gypsy I did watch a Keith interview from '94 the other day, where Keith does say that he fell asleep during "Fool to Cry." He really hates that song...I don't blame him...

Sir Stonesalot~ so, it's safe to say you're pretty much a breast man, eh?
06-23-02 04:28 AM
F505 Sir Stonesalot wrote: It does have 2 very hot photos of Anita and Marianne. Those chicks had some great tits!

Can we see these pictures as header?

06-23-02 01:27 PM
JaggaRichards 'Old Gods' is tabloid crap IMO.
I'm surprised they didn't have The Space Alien show up at a Stones show somewhere in this BS book.

I want my money back too.
06-23-02 05:09 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I want my money back<

I borrowed it from the local library. I wasn't foolish enough to plop down cash for that tripe.

This is Joey's fave book. So what does that say about him?
06-23-02 05:18 PM
Gazza Read the Daily Mail yesterday on my way home from Spain and thought these new "revelations" were hilarious....Good God,whatever next? they'll be telling us the Stones took drugs occasionally....

>Theres a new article sereis which started today in the Daily Mail. Its basically taken from this book. In the article it was saying how Mick and Keith hate each other, how Mick wishes Keith was still a junkie, (so Mick can solely deal with business activites),

well...that was maybe the case 20 years ago...Keith acknowledged there was that problem within the band after Jagger had covered his ass when he was strung out for most of the 70's. It didnt say that was the case NOW..basically its important to remember Stephen Davis doesnt KNOW the Stones personally,so hes rehashing other peoples crap and twisting it for his own ends. The Daily Mail,being the sort of paper they are as they basically despise anyone remotely liberal and who fucks a lot and has ever taken drugs, are going to distort THAT even further...so you can see that what youre reading is about 5 generations from the original story at least,all twisted for journalistic reasons...)

fact is,Mick & keith have disagreed about lifestyles and musical direction for 30 years,but theyre more of a united front now than theyve been in decades. when was the last time there was talk of the band being on the verge of splitting up?? About 1987,thats when....its all shite

> errm what else. How Keith used to fall asleep on stage. When did this happen?

Frankfurt 1976. for a few seconds during "Fool to cry". the feedback from his amp woke him up. Davis makes it look like it was a regular occurrence. Nonsense.

>Also how Brian used to beat girls black and blue and how Anita Pallenberg seemed to enjoy it!! How in 1966 they talleyd up their conquests. Bill had had 200 odd while Mick had 39

Rehashed from Wymans autobiography. Nothing original here either.

>Im in no doubt that some of this tripe is loosley based on true facts, but i think its just supposed to be an enjoyable read rather then a "real life" account of the band.

problem is,when you know the truth or have read better accounts from more reliable sources closer to the band,the holes and factual errors ruin any credibility and make it hard to enjoy.

the same piece also rehashes two "events" from the 1982 tour which simply never happened. 1) the bit in Bockris' book (probably itself rehashed from Nick kent's wild heroin-fuelled imagination) that Keith hijacked the cherrypicker in Gothenburg in '82 and played a 20 minute guitar solo (in his dreams!! he may have done something with the cherrypicker - I dont know,as i wasnt there - but the audio recording of the show proves the story about some long solo designed to fuck with mick's head is absolute crap)
and 2) the alleged incident at wembley in 82 during "shes so cold" (again from Nick kent) where keith supposedly punched Woody full in the face for missing his cue. Didnt happen - watch the pro shot video of the show in question (I think its on the tape I sent you actually!)

06-23-02 05:36 PM
Joey " Old Gods Almost Dead " is a true Masterpiece . Once you start reading this tome , you will never put it down . I have read the book ten times now , and learn something vital and coherent each and every time .....like the various moments that Keith is forced to punch Ronnie out for freebasing or the year that Charlie was strung out on Heroin . I had no idea how serious Charlie's smack problem really was !

But through it all , one disheartening and disconcerting moment does indeed stay true with each and every read , " How greatly all fans of the Rolling Stones regret the day that Mick Taylor left the band . "

Sad indeed .

" Tie Me Up and steal My Hits Ronnie "

Sir Joey of the Royale 15K Carly

Clubby

06-23-02 07:27 PM
Honky Tonk Man Got my video fixed today, so i will have to check that out, dont remember seeing Keith punch Ronnie.
06-23-02 11:15 PM
Honky Tonker Savage, loved the headlines! Here's some more-

Stones in it for love of music.
Jagger goes celebate.
Stones fans no longer idiots.
Brian, Elvis, and Ronnie Van Zandt gang banging Amelia Earhart.

FUCK! Let's have a little more humor on this site.

P. S. The good news- Our boys are back on the road in 2 months!!!

06-23-02 11:28 PM
BILL PERKS MY THEORY ON THE GREATEST HITS RELEASE IS THAT MICK DID NOT(AND PROBABLY CHARLIE)WANT TO SPEND 6 MONTHS ARGUING WITH KEITH AND TRYING TO MAKE A RECORD THAT HE WOULD BE HAPPY WITH.THE B2B SESSIONS WERE VERY CONTENTIOUS AND I THINK MICK JUST DIDNT WANT TO DEAL WITH IT AGAIN.IT'S MUCH EASIER TO RECORD A COUPLE SONGS,THEN TOUR.I THINK THESE GUYS UNDERSTAND THE VALUE OF THE TIME THAT IS LEFT TO THEM AND WANT AS LITTLE HASSLE AS POSSIBLE.IT'S A SHAME THEY CAN'T BE BASED IN LONDON AS A UNIT AND WORK PRODUCTIVELY TOGETHER PRODUCING NEW MUSIC AT A PACE THAT IS GOOD FOR EVERYBODY INSTEAD OF HAVING TO HOLE UP FAR FROM HOME TO GET ANYTHING ACCOMPLISHED.
06-24-02 02:49 AM
Child of the Moon Howzabout that one from the last show of TOTA '75, where Mick, Keith, and Ronnie all dropped acid, started the show terribly late, and had Mick singing "Street Fighting Man" while the band played "Brown Sugar"? (or something to that effect) THAT'S one I wanna know about!
06-24-02 02:36 PM
gotdablouse As usual there's good and bad.
I've got to admit that alhtough I'm a completist, this book is the only place I've ever seen any details about the B2B sessions, how they started in late 96 and how they ended with Jagger sulking and telling one of his "conquests" that he did in fact like the 3 tracks Keith cooked up with Fraboni et all.
06-24-02 11:45 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, but how the hell can you believe anything the guy says. Everything leading up to the B2B part is total crap....how the hell can the B2B stuff be anything other than crap too?
06-27-02 09:40 AM
Jaxx the pictures are terrific. my favorites are, "riding the flying phallus" (mick riding on a blowup penal unit, mid 70s) and
"dogging it during the voodoo lounge era at Ron Wood's Irish farm, 1994 (keith, charlie, mick ,ronnie and one of ron's dogs, a white purebred something or other. mick and ron are looking at the camera(lol mick directly at the camera 2cute), however, it appears that charlie and keith have an affinity for the dogs balls and are looking directly at "them" goofy grins on both. hilarious!

at a few replies above, a reference was made to an article about brian in the written media. it popped up today and it's posted separately.
[Edited by Jaxx]
06-27-02 09:45 AM
Joey 'Yeah, but how the hell can you believe anything the guy says. Everything leading up to the B2B part is total crap....how the hell can the B2B stuff be anything other than crap too? '

Davis may have gotten a few of the dates wrong , but the stories he tells are true . The book is a fascinating read , especially the shenanigans that went on throughout the 1970's ....... a real page turner .

I believe " Old Gods Almost Dead " was # 1 on the best seller list for twenty weeks last winter . 10 million copies sold worldwide .

Word to your soul .

Clubby

06-27-02 10:03 AM
Jaxx
quote:
Joey wrote:
'Yeah, but how the hell can you believe anything the guy says.

or anybody else, for that matter? these guys have been media and "trashy bio" fodder for years. i want a personal account, not some bogus research. this is the reason i enjoy stone alone and look forward to stone alone 2. yeah, bill focuses alot on the money issue, but man did he keep festidious records on dates, times, places, people there. i hope in due time, mick, keith, charlie and ron each write a memoir of their own.
06-27-02 01:36 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Jaxx wrote:
i hope in due time, mick, keith, charlie and ron each write a memoir of their own.

Charlie's Memoir: "You're My Fucking Singer"
December 10, 1985. Woke up. Someone tells me album released. Whatever.
December 11, 1985. Woke up. Was bothered by thousands of fans who seem to think I'm the greatest rock'n'roll drummer in the world. Looked up "Irony".
December 12, 1985. Woke up. Stu died. Fuckin' hell.

Naw... I actually find Charlie a real character...

How about that story in Old Gods about the Playboy Manor? Is that true? That Mick, Keith & Bill went off and had a good time while Charlie stayed in the lounge and played pinball? Awww... Charlie is my darling.

-tSYX --- If Keith fell asleep during "Fool To Cry"... good for him!
06-27-02 02:00 PM
gypsy Yep, Keith did say that he fell asleep during "Fool To Cry." He can't stand that song...do you blame him?
06-27-02 02:04 PM
Joey My sources tell me the story is true !

M. Joeyfly

06-27-02 08:02 PM
Gazza Read Greenfield's book on the 72 tour for more on the Stones stay at the Playboy mansion on the 72 tour - again,he was there & Davis wasnt....I guess thats where Davis got his stuff from....

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road