ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Happy 4th of July
Ethan Russell
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Russian Vodka Room Return to archive
06-25-03 02:15 PM
Sir Stonesalot I spent a lovely day in Manhattan yesterday.

I arrived in the city with my Uncle John, and ex-bandmate Deebo. I was replendent in my "Keith Richards for President" shirt, Uncle John was dressed like someone's Uncle, and Deebo was dressed in what he called "south american slacker chic". I thought it looked like his wife forgot to lay clothes out for him. The drive in was uneventful, except for my air conditioner started making strange screeching noises.

We found a cheap place to park...$20.00 for 24 hours.

First things first...we had to get a drink! Faces & Names...yes THAT Faces & Names...had cold Harp on tap, and on special...so we had to have several of those. Also had their calmari. It was soooooo funny. Their calmari are actually WHOLE octopi. It was very good, but a little odd looking. Jude had her baby, and is back behind the bar. She named the baby Maxy. Go figure.

We then headed off to "Music Row" to oogle guitars. I almost bought an Ibanez Artcore at Sam Ash. But I think I'll get my parents to buy it for my birthday. After a brief stop at the Virgin Megastore(Believe it or not, they DO NOT sell virgins. I know because I asked.)to pick up the new Jay Farrar CD, we decided to get down to some serious showtime prep. We decided that instead of having a big meal at one place, we would have appetizers at many places. It just seemed a shame with so many different kinds of food, to limit ourselves to just one kind.

First stop, The Kabul Cafe. I had to be talked into this one. In fact, I flat out refused until Deebo said he'd pay. Lucky for me thay had Sam Adams. I was very surprised that the food was quite yummy. I have no idea what it was, and I probably don't really want to know, but it was quite good. AND, this is a big plus...no one tried to kill us.

Next up was...fries at YOTI! I just had to have a beer there...you all know why. Then we went to some Tex-Mex tequila bar..I forget the name...for cerveza and nachos. I make better nachos than this place did. But the Corona was cold, so all was not lost.

Then we headed over to Victor's Cafe for some delicious Cuban food. We ended up spending $80.00 on appetizers there. In fact we had all but three of the appetizers on the menu! Fantastic tastes. It is right across the street from Roseland, and I HIGHLY recommend it.

By now it was about 90 minutes before the doors open. We decided that instaed of waiting in the meager line to get in, we'd have a few drinks(do you notice a theme here?). I wanted to go back to YOTI. But Deebo bribed us into the Russian Vodka Room. I said, "Deebo, if we go in there we are not going to remember much of the show." He said, "I'm buying". I said, "OK, let's try this place."

The Russian Vodka Room is on the same block as Roseland, just down the street. It has an imposing black granite facade. There is a distinctly unsettling Russian Mob feel to the place. I liked it right away. So Deebo orders up the cavair sampler, and we all try a different kind of Russian vodka. And then we tried some more. And then we tried some more. And then we tried some more. And then I thought my name was Vitali. I bought one of their T-shirts. It has a bunch of Russin writing on the back. I asked what it said, but I couldn't make any sense of what they were trying to explain to me. I think it says something like "Russian Vodka makes your dick hard so you can satisfy many women.". At least that's what I'm going to tell everyone it says.

We staggered out of there about 5 minutes after the doors to Roseland opened. We walked right in and up to about 15 feet from the front center of the stage.

I still haven't sorted out what I saw last night, other than it was earthshaking. I'll put down some thoughts on the Nick Cave gig when I get home from work tonight. I still have to wrap my head around it.

So if you are going to a Roseland gig, make sure you hit the Russian Vodka Room. It is THE best place to get your head right for a gig.
06-25-03 02:24 PM
jb SS, was just listening to Phila. Special, which I purchased off e-bay. The sound is good , but not great. Also, at what point in the show did they perform uptight/satisfaction with Stevie Wonder. it's the last song on the 2nd disc. Why 2 discs? Do you have a clean copy? Thanks-your uncool lawyer friend-Josh.
06-25-03 02:25 PM
gypsy Yeah, but did you get laid?
06-25-03 02:26 PM
sirmoonie Banging around Manhattan, swilling quality hootch, and seeing live bands at the Roseland ballroom is something that ONLY real men do.

At least thats what I hear.

"YOTI me, Ronald"
06-25-03 02:29 PM
parmeda
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I bought one of their T-shirts. It has a bunch of Russin writing on the back. I asked what it said, but I couldn't make any sense of what they were trying to explain to me. I think it says something like "Russian Vodka makes your dick hard so you can satisfy many women.". At least that's what I'm going to tell everyone it says.

rotflmao...
That's why I luv ya so much, SS

06-25-03 02:30 PM
jb I'm getting laid tonight in the "Italian Room"....
06-25-03 02:31 PM
Larry Dallas How's the Jay Farrar record? I haven't heard any of his solo stuff.
06-25-03 02:32 PM
Joey " said, "Deebo, if we go in there we are not going to remember much of the show." He said, "I'm buying". I said, "OK, let's try this place."

Stoney ...........................................

I mentally sit at your feet -- listening intently to your worldly expoundings , and all the while waiting with bated breath at your very next syllable .......................

With each additional posting , your work here at this board acquires Gibbon-like dimensions, Gibbon-like thoroughness too, and Gibbon-like passion. There are hints in your recent " writings " that aim at a 'Decline and Fall' portrait of an America that reached a summit of wealth and power during the Clinton Era ( 24 Million NEW jobs created , which is 27 Million more than the current administration ) and began to fail for lack of vision. It is my belief that you are using " Rocks Off " as a focus and symbol for a historical turning point that goes beyond the individual. Stoney , you are a phenomenon -- an artful writer, with a remarkable power to evoke and characterize politicians, landscapes, relationships; with the ability to convey all manner of experiences. Your postings are a tour de force at the very least; eventually, they may come to be the base of a monument.

-- Thank You

The Joey !

" Soaked Through on the floor of a Noodle Shop and looking for a little ' Face Time ' in the service elevator Ronnie "

JACKSKEE !

06-25-03 02:37 PM
nankerphelge Joey, did you know that Canada allows dope smoking and same-sex marriages now!!

Come to Toronto!!!

"Every hole has a purpose Ronnie"
06-25-03 02:53 PM
Joey " Joey, did you know that Canada allows dope smoking and same-sex marriages now!! "

Oh Oh , now don't you go all " Steelie " on me now Nanky .

Knock Knock .............!

Who's there ???????

Jack !

Jack Who ??????????

Jack ....................Skee

Jackskee !

06-25-03 02:57 PM
Factory Girl Sir Stonesy, you are Beautiful!! Wear that shirt and wear it proud!

06-25-03 03:33 PM
Sir Stonesalot I'm think I'm gonna go back up at the end of July...The White Stripes are at Roseland for 2 nights...the 21st and 22nd.

Sounds like a fair excuse to go back to the Russian Vodka Room.

Isn't that such a cool name? The Russian Vodka Room. I mean, there can never be any confusion over what THAT place is all about!

You know, there are a lot of great places in the world...and I've been to a lot of them. But absolutely NOTHING can compare to New York City.

06-25-03 03:38 PM
Factory Girl The Russian Vodka Room should consider building an addition-The Russian Pie Room.

Pie is Pierozhek.
06-25-03 04:05 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Pie is Pierozhek.

How do you say "This most unworthy one would like a slice of pie please?"
06-25-03 04:18 PM
Joey " How do you say "This most unworthy one would like a slice of pie please?"

Fleabit , in one sentence you demonstrate how a brief review cannot convey the depth, range and detail of Stoney's fascinating story. You are an inexhaustible researcher and a meticulous historian. Every post reflects your Herculean efforts to break through the banalities and the falsehoods previously woven around the life of all us " Rock and Rollers " . Indeed , time and time again , you combine the social scientist's interest in power with the historian's concern with theme and context, the political scientist's interest in system, and the novelist's passion to reveal the inner workings of the personality and relate them to great human issues. Like the music you admire , your work will infuriate and inspire, arouse admiration and controversy--and perhaps no higher compliment can be paid such a monument of interpretive posting .

Salute !!!!!!

-- Thank You

The Joey !

06-25-03 06:04 PM
telecaster Is there a Kentucky Bourbon Room?
06-25-03 06:09 PM
stonedinaustralia yes SS - i would be interetsed on your thoughts re naughty nick
06-26-03 02:09 AM
Sir Stonesalot OK, the show.

The first band on was Calexico. They were pretty good. They were kind of a blend of Tejano, Americana, and Rock...if you can imagine that. I'm not gonna run out and buy their CDs...but they were OK. Then Chris Waitley from The Saints came on solo. He played some covers acoustically, and played them badly. Thankfully he got off the stage quick.

Nick and the Bad Seeds (minus Blixa, he quit.)came out. Nick had a kind of crazed drunken gay banker look going on. I'm not going to into a song by song thing...because honestly, I forgot to write the setlist down. He did "Red Right Hand"..and it was stunning. "Deanna" went haywire a few times, but they recovered nicely. The only song that I wasn't feeling was "Bring It On". They had that fucking guy from the Saints out to "help" with the vocals...and that was definately the lowlight. "Do You Love Me" was insane...in the best possible way. And "Tupelo" left you gaping and drooling...again, in the best possible way. But the last song of the night was the shit for me..."Babe, I'm On Fire". It was about 12-15 minutes of sonic mayhem. Now you all know how I feel about long jammy type songs....this wasn't one of those. I don't know how many of you have bought Nick's new effort "Nocturama", but "Babe, I'm On Fire" is the final song. It's the final song because you just don't try to follow something like that. Nick sings? the whole song through, with just small lead breaks in between verse/chorus's. There are so many lyrics that he has a guy come out and hold cue cards. And the whole thing is done at a breakneck pace. Nick got the Bad Seeds lost a few times, but they found their way home...and punished Nick by picking up the pace to a frenzy...and there was still about 5 minutes of song left! It would have killed a lesser man, but Nick called them on it, and those of us who were there are better people for it.

It was really hot in there. It always is. My feet started hurting about 10 minutes into Calexico's set. There were lots of Goth chicks...in fact, for some odd reason, the audience was distinctly female. Or at least that was how they dressed. I spotted 3 or 4 Trannys...there were probably more. I was sad when the concert was over...but I was happy that it was over too. I was sad because the music stopped, I was happy because I knew I would be able to sit down soon. My feet are STILL sore.

We were gonna take in a recorder, but they were wanding people all the way to the shoes, so we didn't chance it. I did get a camera in...of the plastic disposable variety. Don't know if I got anything good or not. I'll get them on a picture CD and email 'em to anyone who is interested.

I'd tell you to go see Nick if he comes to your town....but since tonight was his last show of the "tour"(he did 2 nights at Roseland), you can't do that. So go get his CD, "Nocturama" instead. Be advised, Nick takes some getting used to. If you don't like Tom Waits, you won't like Nick. And Nick can be rather, uhhhhh, dark and gloomy. But Nick has that something that is mesmerizing...like a horrible auto accident that you just have to look at.

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds defy description. There is nothing out there that sounds anything like them. They are original, and brilliant. Certainly one of the best things Oz has given us.
06-26-03 02:32 AM
stonedinaustralia thanks SS - so blixa has quit - that's too bad he worked well with nick - do you know why he quit?? - apparently the first time nick saw blixa was on german TV - and nick was very taken with his (blixa's)ability to make his guitar sound like "a dying horse"

that's Chris "Bailey" from the Saints and your description doesn't surprise me - he hasn't done much of late and trades on this boozy irishman (he has heavy irish roots)schtik these days

SS is right, Nick is one of Australia's graet talents (in any field of the arts (imo)) - and while he's right about the darkness and mayhem he and the seeds have also done some good ballad type stuff (see esp. "The Good Son" LP)

if you want to hear Nick's stuff that is really wild/anarchic and generally dark then check out what he did with "The Birthday Party" esp. the single "Release the Bats" and the "Prayers on Fire" EP - for the real bad noise check the "Junkyard" LP (featuring cover art by Ed "Big Daddy" Roth) - also their last piece "The Bad Seed" EP is excelllent and sees the band moving towards the sort of stuff nick would do with the bad seeds

Also, nick gets all the credit , but his right hand man Mick Harvey has been with him since they were at school together and should also get a lot of credit for his musical input - they are a bit of a jagger/richards type pair in a way
06-26-03 10:53 AM
jb plese respond ss.
06-26-03 11:38 AM
Larry Dallas If you're curious about a good Kentucky Bourbon Room, come on down here to Kentucky and I'll take you to Nicholson's. It offers just about every bourbon made here in the state of Kentucky. It's right across the street from Rupp Arena, a place where the Stones used to hit every tour...
06-26-03 01:08 PM
Sir Stonesalot Respond to what jb?

Anyhow, I love the stuff that SIA mentioned...but I don't really think you want to get your feet wet with that. You'll scare off. Get in easy. Try on Nocturama, and then work your way back.

If you start too fast...you will get sucked in and never return.

Slowly. Please. We don't want any of you to get hurt. I don't want anyone getting sent away to a "rest home". Honestly, I'm just worried about your souls.

OK?

Oh fuck that. Go out and buy everything Nick has ever done, slap it all into a big CDChanger, crank the headphones, lock yourself into a isolation chamber for a few days, and go mad, completely and totally friggin' out of your mind MAD.

It'll be good for you.

People will be scared of you, instead of you being scared of them.

You can do it.

Was that OK JB?
06-26-03 02:46 PM
jb No SS!!!!! To my post regarding Philadelphia Special.
06-26-03 03:00 PM
Sir Stonesalot Stevie and the Stones always did their joint effort as a finale. And they only did it at select gigs.

Aforementioned Uncle John was in attendence at the Philadelphia Special show.

My fave version of that show is from the STP Box. Philadelphia Special II is also pretty good.

Happy now Nerdboy?

I have a conundrum for ya pal....

What would you do if your "side project" demanded that you take her to the SARS Festival?

06-26-03 10:48 PM
mac_daddy "My fave version of that show is from the STP Box. Philadelphia Special II is also pretty good"

are the tracks missing from the stp set available anywhere - I would love to make those shows complete...

this is what I have for info thus far...

Rolling Stones - Touring Party 1972
Volume 2: "Philadelphia Special" (RS 051-2)

Source: original silver CD > EAC (no log) > WAV > SHN

Rattlesnake Records' 3 volume "Touring Party 1972" consists of live recrdings made during the band's "North American Tour" which began on June 3 and ended July 26 of that year.

d4t01 Brown Sugar (lyrics read by Keith Richards) **

July 20, 1972
Philadelphia Spectrum (Philadelphia, PA)

d4t02 Brown Sugar
d4t03 Bitch
d4t04 Rocks Off
d4t05 Gimme Shelter
Happy
d4t06 Tumbling Dice
Love In Vain
Sweet Virginia
You Can't Always Get What You Want
All Down The Line
Midnight Rambler
d4t07 Bye Bye Johnny
d4t08 Rip This Joint
Jumping Jack Flash
Street Fighting
d4t09 Uptight/Satisfaction

July 21, 1972
Philadelphia Spectrum (Philadelphia, PA)

--- early show ---

d4t10 Brown Sugar
d4t11 Bitch
d4t12 Rocks Off
d4t13 Gimme Shelter
d4t14 Happy
d4t15 Tumbling Dice
d5t01 Love In Vain
d5t02 Sweet Virginia
d5t03 You Can't Always Get What You Want
d5t04 All Down The Line
Midnight Rambler
Bye Bye Johnny
Jumping Jack Flash

--- late show ---

Brown Sugar
Bitch
Rocks Off
Gimme Shelter
d5t05 Happy
d5t06 Tumbling Dice
d5t07 Love In Vain
Sweet Virginia
You Can't Always Get What You Want
d5t08 All Down The Line
d5t09 Midnight Rambler
d5t10 Introductions
d5t11 Bye Bye Johnny
d5t12 Rip This Joint
d5t13 Jumping Jack Flash
d5t14 Street Fighting Man
d5t15 Uptight/Satisfaction

** presumably from the closing minutes of the film "C.S. Blues" by ??

the band:
Mick Jagger (lead vocals, harmonica)
Keith Richards (guitar, vocals)
Mick Taylor (guitar)
Bill Wyman (bass)
Charlie Watts (drums)

with:
Nicky Hopkins (piano)
Bobby Keys (saxophone)
Jim Price (trumpet, trombone)

and special guests:
Stevie Wonder & Wonderlove (on "Uptight/Satisfaction")

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003