ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Happy 4th of July
Ethan Russell
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stone: Top 20 Live Acts Return to archive
06-24-03 04:48 PM
Paulcarr87 Has anyone checked out the latest Rolling Stone magazine article on the readers picked "Top 20 live acts"? It is quite educational... I learned that the Stones are only the 20th best act out there - among the legendary acts placing ahead of the Stones were PJ Harvey and Guns N Roses (give me a break!)

Paul

06-24-03 06:44 PM
Mr T care to share the entire list?

and did you really expect to not be disappointed? Sounds to me like you should've known you were wasting the money ahead of time
06-24-03 10:24 PM
Prodigal Son Whoa, I hope you didn't buy/subscribe to this one, buddy. Rolling Stone resembles all that turned rock to shit in the last 20 years. The death of punk/new wave signalled the death of rock as a powerful new format for enjoyment by true musical diehards. It was another great subdivision of rock destroyed by corporations and with Rolling Stone letting jokes like Madonna and New Kids on the Block adorn their covers, Jann Wenner proved he is a weiner.
He gave Steel Wheels five stars, I'm giving it four. But this is also the guy who thought Goddess in the Doorway was the best music mick had done since Some Girls! He obviously forgot to listen to Tattoo You, Undercover, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and Wandering Spirit.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
06-24-03 10:32 PM
corgi37 Stones 20th? This has got to be joke. Put up the list asap, someone. Lemme have a guess though. Fucking U2, fucking Eminem, The Who (fair enough), fucking Springsteen, fucking Led Zeppelin, fucking who cares. If the fucking Beatles are in that list, then some one has been dipping into a bad batch of magic mushrooms. 20th. 20th!!
06-25-03 01:11 AM
parmeda
quote:
Mr T wrote:
care to share the entire list?

BEST IN SHOW
1. U2
2. Radiohead
3. Bon Jovi
4. Dave Matthews Band
5. Tori Amos
6. Phish
7. Metallica
8. PJ Harvey
9. Nine Inch Nails
10. Guns n' Roses
11. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
12. Pearl Jam
13. Bob Dylan
14. Tool
15. Prince
16. Widespread Panic
17. The Roots
18. Red Hot Chili Peppers
19. No Doubt
20. The Rolling Stones

You can go to this link to see the article along with a slide show. It names the best tour/best live album for each act.

http://www.rollingstone.com/features/featuregen.asp?pid=1713

06-25-03 10:53 AM
egon did you know that rolling stones magazine ISN'T
in the top 20 of best magazines ever?

[Edited by egon]
06-25-03 12:15 PM
purrcafe Rolling Stone is utterly irrelevant. They have been for over 20 years, but are even moreso now that they've changed their format to more closely resemble Maxim and Blender. Those of you who want to read a truly GREAT music magazine should check out The Big Takeover. If you can't find it (it is obscure) order a copy via their website.
06-25-03 01:33 PM
Sir Stonesalot I think they just mistakenly printed the list upsidedown.

Or maybe they intended to do it as a countdown...with number one last...but put the numbers on backwards.

Or maybe they just forgot to take their heads out of their asses when they compiled the list.

Or maybe they let retarded people do the list.

Or maybe they picked who got on the list by throwing darts at RS covers pasted on the wall.

Or....oh hell, I'm tired of making excuses for them.

It's just further evidence of how much suckage is withing the covers of Rolling Stone Magazine. I am so glad I don't read that trash. The National Enquirer is a much better publication.
06-25-03 01:48 PM
Mr T wow - that's a pretty terrible list. A few good bands on there (too bad the Chili's aren't very good live, at least not last I saw them) Oh well - nobbody's forcing me to listen to Bon Jovi so I don't give a fuck
06-25-03 03:42 PM
Sir Stonesalot You must have caught the Chili's on a bad night T. I've seen them twice, and they were insanely good both times. In fact, I've seen many of the bands on that list. And while they were good...they certainly weren't STONES good, you know what I mean?

I like PJ Harvey...I have one of her shows on video even....but there is NO WAY that she is better live than the Stones AND Bob Dylan. I mean, it's not even close.

Did the article say who compiled the list? I'd find that fascinating.
06-25-03 03:45 PM
Joey WTF ?????????????????????????????????

No WHO ?!?!?!

No Neil Young ?!?!?!?!

I am now visibly stirred to sadness and shaken to the core .

" Pitched in a Tent in Burbank Ronnie "

JACKSKEE !
06-25-03 03:45 PM
Mr T hopefully - I'm a big Chili's fan. I've heard their shows could be terrible (and I've heard some audio myself and they definitly were) - I've heard clips of them this tour & they are a lot better, even with how disappointed I was last time, I would still like to see them again now that they've cleaned up their act better. When I caught them they were probably all strung out on heroin or whatever. I don't think I'd ever be impressed by Anthony Kiedas' vocals with or without the drugs - but as long as the rest of the band could keep it together, I'd pay to give them another shot. Flea was fantastic, even though I didn't care for the show
06-25-03 03:47 PM
Mr T that's funny - I looked at the list again, I wasn't aware Widespread Panic was that popular. I've liked what I've heard of them, anyone know if they're any good/recommend some songs?
06-25-03 03:54 PM
Gazza Radiohead must be the most overrated band of all time..and "Radiohead Live" is the ultimate oxymoron. they're tedium personified. 2nd best live act in the world? for fucks sake.

Its comforting to see that Q arent the only rock publication so desperate to broaden the agegroup of their readership that they persist in championing the musical equivalent of mandrax.

Bon Jovi 3rd - need I say more. Not much point expanding my thoughts any further on those tossbags. Eight places above an artist he's ripped off shamefully for years says it all.
06-25-03 03:55 PM
parmeda
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Did the article say who compiled the list? I'd find that fascinating.

Taken from the article:

"In May, Rolling Stone E-Mailed thousands of readers and asked them to vote on their favorite live act; the only restriction was that the artist had to have toured in the last few years. We got more than 28,000 responses. So here you go - the people's choices!"

Hey SS...did you get an e-mail?
I sure the hell didn't.
06-25-03 03:57 PM
Gazza Interesting to note how many of the artists placed above the Stones have actually been their opening act at some point on recent tours. I make it about 7 out of the 19.

(Dave Matthews,Prince,Dylan,Bon Jovi,No Doubt,GNR, Pearl Jam - maybe more?)
[Edited by Gazza]
06-25-03 04:27 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Bon Jovi 3rd - need I say more.

we all love bonnie
06-26-03 05:07 AM
egon rolling stone magazine still relevant?
i got mine in the mail today.

on the cover: justin & christina
headline: double trouble. hooking up for the sexiest tour on earth.

i'm taking the magazine to the toilet when i'm gonna have a shit. and it's not to read it!
06-26-03 06:28 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Radiohead must be the most overrated band of all time..

interesting gazza, that's first time in three years where you've made a musical comment i just can't agree with

while the topic is live performance i take it you are also referring to the band generally

not that i'm any great fan mind you - i don't own any of their work and i only know what i've heard on the radio (and they've had airplay here from the first and it continues)

maybe it's a UK thing or something but fom this distance i don't mind the sound of york's voice and some of their sounds have a good raw feel to them - albeit never at too much intensity - but "mandrax" is a bit strong (imo)

i'd agree with you and say they can go a bit "pink floydy" at times

i always thought that line "karma police - arrest that man" was pretty good

anyway, there's not much in it - as i say i'm no evangalist to the cause but more interested in the fact that you made the comment rather than the comment itself 'tho i appreciate you're not the only one who holds such views
06-26-03 07:32 AM
fmk438j Not that I want to second guess what gazza has in mind, but it's probably something to do with the UK music press going on about them so much. Words like 'genius' used to describe their albums etc.

When did Bon Jovi support the stones? How did this happen? I'm shocked to hear this. Glad it wasn't a trivia question.
06-26-03 08:43 AM
Boomy Gazza:

The awesome Red Hot Chili Peppers have opened some shows for the Stones, but they were already a pretty big band during that time.

I believe they opened for the Stones at the Rose Bowl or the L.A. Coliseum during the Voodoo Lounge Tour.
06-26-03 10:41 PM
corgi37 Ahh, so the list wasnt compiled by some journo hack, but by the people themselves. Well, judging by the list, there are some sick fuckers around. As Homer Simpson said: "When will people learn, democracy doesnt work". Give people the choice of the finest acts in history, and U2 is no.1 & Bon jovi no.3. ANd Guns and Roses?? Excuse me, but wasnt the criteria that a band had to tour within the last 5 years? Surely, they cant count last years aborted debacle of a tour. How many shows did Axle and his boy friends do. 3? Maybe 4? It all means jack-shit, but its still annoying. Lord, please smite them with all your vengeance.
06-26-03 10:54 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Joey, man, I'm with you 100% on this one.

Where the *fuck* are the Who?

Where the *fuck* are the Velvets?

Hell, I don't much care for some of his stuff, but where the *fuck* are Neil and Crazy Horse?

Why the *fuck* are the Stones and Bob behind U2 and Radiogivinghead and BON JOVI? I've got Live '66 on right now and fuck me if it doesn't blow U2 out of the water any day of the week.

Ohh, when I read this at my local gas station, I just smiled that sad smile and said "This is why I spend ten bucks on British indie mags."

Hell, the post-Hamburg Beatles score higher than some of the folks they've got on there!

What tripe.

-tSYX --- You a starfucker starfucker starfucker starfucker star yes you are, yes you are!
06-26-03 10:58 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Oh, wait, and Dave Matthews?

Fuck him. He's the worst excuse for music I've ever heard.

<------- I'd spit on him if I had a mouth!

Well said, lil' RonnieCake! I'd ask you if you thought Joey'd get mad at you ripping off Herbie's lines, but you can't respond 'cuz if I did any more arrows they wouldn't point at ya!

-tSYX --- Well I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more...
06-26-03 11:00 PM
Soul Survivor
quote:
egon wrote:
rolling stone magazine still relevant?
i got mine in the mail today.

on the cover: justin & christina
headline: double trouble. hooking up for the sexiest tour on earth.

i'm taking the magazine to the toilet when i'm gonna have a shit. and it's not to read it!

dude, wtf. ewwww.....

dont forget the towel
06-26-03 11:01 PM
steel driving hammer That was funny that they printed the list upside down!!

But seriously, how fucking disrespectful.

Also, you have to realize, not all rock and rollers read Rolling Stone magazine. They branch out to Rap, Soul, Country and fucking Popshit.

But also in seriousness, someone should get fired for this list.
06-27-03 09:53 AM
egon
quote:
Soul Survivor wrote:

dude, wtf. ewwww.....

dont forget the towel

FUCK! i see now how you can explain this in 2 ways... :-)

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003