ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Happy 4th of July
Ethan Russell
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Springsteen Gig Return to archive
06-23-03 10:15 AM
Zeeta A friend went to see the guy last month in Manchester UK, he paid �20 for the ticket and got.......three encores and the show lasted 3 hours and 45 minutes!!!!!

I find that unbelievably good value for money! Especially considering I have paid �93 for The Stones in Manchester in September!
I'm hoping to get 3 3/4 hours and 3 encores but I reckon I'll be hoping for a lonh time!
Don't get me wrong I would give my left testie to see The Stones but regarding ticket prices and time to � ratio good on "the Boss"!

Has anyone got any thoughts on this?
06-23-03 11:53 AM
jb Springsteen is known for his 3 plus hr shows....however, last tour, way too many ballads and I was bored to tears. The Stones, if your lucky, will play 2hrs 15 minutes with the only lame part being Keith's ballads.
06-23-03 12:16 PM
dealer squealing The Keith part is the highlight for me.
Also the length of the concert is not what it�s all about.
06-23-03 02:27 PM
jb I use to look forward to Keith's set..but truthfully, it slows the entire momentum of the show ...
06-24-03 07:20 AM
Doxa But hey.. that part offers a deserved time out for the maestro of the show.. Mick. And when he comes back the show gets a new fresh start.

Doxa
06-24-03 07:35 AM
riffhard64 <<<--------------loves Keith's ballads
06-24-03 07:43 AM
stonedinaustralia first, zeeta i don't think it's a question of time over money

to paraphrase the good dr.burroughs when it comes to an exchange of the quantative (e.g. time or money) for the qualitative (e.g. the soul and the movement of it) there are no honourable bargains - the only question is - did they deliver the goods! Twenty minutes - two hours or two days time is immaterial if the thing ultimately says nothing - tho i take your point (generally i think anything less than an hour is a rip off) - but still i say it's all in the delivery

as to keith's set - i've seen the band three times and it was always a high point for me

at the sydney superdome (saturday) show a group of us there all arranged to meet during k's set for a quick smoke - but wild horses couldn't drag me away - funny thing is, as i sit here, i can't remember both tunes he did - i know he did "the worst" but i can't recall the other ("happy" again?? - i'll have to look it up - just the thing one needs to know to win that trivia contest!) - instead i was standing in a slow moving beer line during SFTD - i could still hear it 'tho, you understand - and i was listening...

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
06-24-03 11:06 AM
Zeeta Oh yeah I SIA I like that theory!!

I would rather go and see the Stones anyday! BUT you see my point - and I believe that the boss has a soul. But the Stones probrably have MORE soul and are more Rock and Roll (IMO) so the qualative aspect is key I guess.

Keep it real!

Matt
06-24-03 11:10 AM
jb I think the Boss is excellent but his image of a working guy is kinda lame these days as he is worth some 100 million plus and lives in a big LA mansion for the last 15 years....he also wears a modified hair-piece.
06-24-03 11:24 AM
Joey " I think the Boss is excellent but his image of a working guy is kinda lame these days as he is worth some 100 million plus and lives in a big LA mansion for the last 15 years....he also wears a modified hair-piece. "

Agreed ! What has HE ever done for Israel ?

06-24-03 11:31 AM
jb Correct Joey....some often confused his last with Springstein and thought he was Jewish. I will say that his drummer, Max Weinberg, is a full fledged Jew who was circomsised and Bar Mitvahed.
06-24-03 11:40 AM
Joey " I will say that his drummer, Max Weinberg, is a full fledged Jew who was circomsised and Bar Mitvahed "

.....................and much loved by the Irish ( See Conan O'Brian )

By the way Josh , where is Maxy ???? MIA ??????

My sources tell me that Max has gone the way of Paul McCartney ( Circa 1971 ) . Oh , the horror .

The horror .............................

Shiver .................................

Developing .............................

" Shot by a guy in Columbia Ronnie "

JACKY !
06-24-03 11:44 AM
jb I saw he posted something on the 20th? I said welcome back but have not heard from him. He may have converted to Juduism and moved to the West Bank in the so-called occupied territories which are really ours.
06-24-03 11:48 AM
Joey " I saw he posted something on the 20th? I said welcome back but have not heard from him. He may have converted to Juduism and moved to the West Bank in the so-called occupied territories which are really ours "

With his ego , the West Bank MAY not take him .

Developing .............................

" How does he get through doors ( Cabins ? ) Ronnie "

JACKY !
06-24-03 01:26 PM
sandrew Actually, JB, Springsteen's living in Jersey again. Granted, it's on a 400-acre estate, but it's still Jersey.
06-24-03 02:24 PM
jb LOL Sandrew!!! He has returned to his roots. Atleast Mick and Co. have never denied that their in it for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
06-24-03 02:57 PM
Joey " Atleast Mick and Co. have never denied that their in it for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. "

And that's the beauty of it all -- Why I worship the Rolling Stones and admire Mick and Keith so much :

" Life is a Zero-Sum Game -- Somebody wins and Somebody loses and it is all about Bucks ."

- Gordon Gekko ( Wall Street , 1987 )

JACKY !
06-24-03 03:04 PM
jb Correct Joey....money does not bring happiness but it gets you laid.
06-24-03 04:09 PM
steel driving hammer Springsteen Extends Summer Stadium Tour
Tue Jun 24, 3:18 PM ET

By Barry A. Jeckell

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Five shows have been added to Bruce Springsteen (news) & the E Street Band's summer U.S. stadium tour.

Reuters Photo

Included on the list is what will be the first rock concert ever held at Boston's Fenway Park (home of the Major League Baseball team the Boston Red Sox).

Following last week's confirmation of a concert in Milwaukee's Miller Park, the Boss has appended his itinerary to include stops in Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo and Chapel Hill, N.C. Additional stadium shows will be announced next month, with the tour expected to end around Sept. 30.

"Bruce and the E Street Band are thrilled to be playing the first rock concert ever at Fenway Park," Springsteen's manager Jon Landau said in a statement. "We know what Fenway means to the people of Boston and are very appreciative to the Boston Red Sox for the opportunity to play at this great symbol of the city of Boston. It will be a night we all remember."

Tickets to the Fenway Park show will go on sale Friday (June 27) at Boston's Orpheum Theater box office and Ticketmaster.

Tickets for the Aug. 13 date at Chicago's Comiskey Park (aka U.S. Cellular Field) and Chapel Hill's Kenan Stadium will go on sale Saturday via Ticketmaster, while tickets for the Sept. 27 Milwaukee will go on sale through Tickets.com.

The show at Detroit's Comerica Park will go on sale Aug. 2; an on-sale date for the Sept. 20 show at Buffalo's Ralph J. Wilson Stadium is yet to be determined.

Springsteen's tour has racked up nearly 3 million tickets sold worldwide, according to the statement. The band's European tour stops in Vienna on Wednesday and closes Saturday in Milan. The U.S. run kicks off July 15 with the first of a record 10 shows at New Jersey's Giants Stadium.

Here are Springsteen's confirmed U.S. tour dates:

July 15, 17-18, 21, 24, 26-27: East Rutherford, N.J. (Giants Stadium)

Aug. 1-2: Foxboro, Mass. (Gillette Stadium)

Aug. 6: Pittsburgh (PNC Park)

Aug. 8-9, 11: Philadelphia (Lincoln Financial Field)

Aug, 13: Chicago (Comiskey Park / U.S. Cellular Field)

Aug. 28, 30-31: East Rutherford, N.J. (Giants Stadium)

Sept. 6: Boston (Fenway Park)

Sept. 13: Washington, D.C. (FedEx Field)

Sept. 14: Chapel Hill, N.C. (Kenan Stadium)

Sept. 20: Buffalo, N.Y. (Ralph J. Wilson Stadium)

Sept. 21: Detroit (Comerica Park)

Sept. 25: Denver (Invesco Field at Mile High)

Sept. 27: Milwaukee (Miller Park)

06-24-03 06:07 PM
Gazza >I think the Boss is excellent but his image of a working guy is kinda lame these days as he is worth some 100 million plus and lives in a big LA mansion for the last 15 years...

youre more out of touch than he is..this is 2003,not 1993...hes been living back in Jersey for years

and you seem to take pride in the stones making shitloads of cash, so whats the big gripe about Springsteen doing so? he certainly works harder for it. If he has an image of a "working guy" thats a media creation. He does manage to keep a connection with his fanbase who still are able to relate to him, unlike some artists.

If Bruce's "image " is unreal and "lame" then obviously the irony of 4 guys with a collective worth of $800 million charging people a week's salary to hear them sing "its ONLY rock n roll but i like it" is lost on you.

Zeeta - Bruce's show "only" lasted 3 1/4 hours, not 3 3/4. Still, he's 53 so its not bad I guess. I agree with whats said elsewhere that saying one show is better than another because its longer just depends on who it is. Its pointless comparing two artists if youre a big fan of the music of one of them and not of the other. youre not going to convert a Stones fan who hates Springsteen and vice versa. As someone who's pretty much an equal fan of them both and has seen both acts on the current tour, theres no comparison who's a better live act and gives better value for money. Springsteen every time. Always has been. shit,when I saw him in Dublin last month, the encore alone lasted over an hour (a third the length of the show) and even featured an 11 minute "Kittys back" (of his 2nd album) played in Europe for the first time in 28 years - and played solely because a fan in the front row had a banner requesting it. No matter that it was a stadium gig and probably two thirds of the audience didnt know it. At any Bruce show,the whole back catalogue is up for grabs. Look at the Stones stadium setlists in recent weeks and imagine them pulling out a rarity like that off the cuff from an early album that hardly anyone knew. They wouldnt have the balls, I'm sorry to say.
[Edited by Gazza]
06-24-03 10:20 PM
Prodigal Son Well, I won't deny Springsteen's shows are awesome. The ballads get tedious at times, but the rockers more than make up for it. Seeing him in Calgary, we just got a relatively trim 3hr, 15 min show with 45 min being the encore!!! The "Red House Rocker" or whatever it was, kicked ass. I only wish he tackled "Rosalita."
There were 11min versions of old rock classics. The encore was so long and exciting that I forgot what song came last. I know he did "Dancing in the Dark" for some diehards in the front row who were begging. Those guys had the band cracking up with their antics. It sure looked like good ol Miami Steve was enjoying it. The show is pure fun, no bones about it.
The guy knows his people and they love him. It seems more involved than even the Stones! For me, it ain't about his catalogue, which is good, but not nearly as good as the Stones. It's about his live performing abilities and the way he works the crowd. It's just non-stop! Wonder what the longest show he ever did was, 5 hours?
He is the Boss by title, but by reputation as well.
06-25-03 03:45 PM
Gazza the longest Bruce shows ever were on the 1980 US leg of "The River" tour. The longest of the lot was Nassau Coliseum,Uniondale, NY on 31/12/80 which clocked in at about three minutes short of four hours. 38 songs if I'm not mistaken (the talk about five hour shows is pure myth hes never done more than four,although of course up to 1993 the shows always had an interval which meant that the EVENING lasted longer!) A lot of the "Born in the USA" and "Tunnel Of Love Express" tour shows clocked in at over 3 1/2 hours too

I know the Grateful Dead have played shows longer than that but hardly with the same intensity I'd imagine.
06-26-03 09:49 AM
jb The best Springsteen concert I attended was Jacksonville, 1980, for the River tour...Bruce in his prime with the original E-Street band...he literally jumped on me as I was in the first row and he played easily over 3 hrs....
The 85 Orange Bowl show was a huge event, and lots of fun, but the intimacy of the earlier show was lost.
[Edited by jb]
06-26-03 08:03 PM
Gazza I'd agree with ya on that one. I saw him at Wembley Arena in may 1981 on that tour,the night before I turned 18. A coming of age I'll never forget and to this day the greatest concert I've ever seen. Things were NEVER the same after that!
06-27-03 11:30 PM
Prodigal Son Although I've seen four concerts, one being a great night for Bob Dylan, but the last one-well, actually I worked at an Ozzy Osbourne concert which was good but not my type of music-was Springsteen. And he had a profound impact on my musical sense. He was awesome. Like I've said, they don't get much better than that!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003