ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Happy 4th of July
Ethan Russell
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones in Toronto Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
06-22-03 01:31 PM
Miss U. Soon my loves.
I hope to see alot of you here. Lady Jane I know is definitely going. Who else? You're welcome here to make plans:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stonestoronto/
[Edited by Miss U.]
06-22-03 02:25 PM
LadyJane Nothing is definite.

BUT I SURE THE HELL AM GONNA TRY VERY HARD TO GET THERE!!

LadyJ.
06-22-03 07:15 PM
tumbling_dice Guess what ladies? All this time I was searching for a ride and it turns out the dude who lives in the apartment above me might be going and might take me!!!!! So..... I hope to meet you all there. It`s getting closer and closer! It`s only like what? 30 something more days away!
06-22-03 08:34 PM
nankerphelge Ladies??

Well, at least one red-blooded U.S. Male is going to the show.
Hope to meet you there TD!
I'll be the real stoned guy with the tongue shirt!!
You can't miss me!!!

SARS, incidently, is for pussies!!!

06-22-03 08:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot Love the Stones....but not enough to put up with a big stupid festival 600 miles from home. If it was an arena or stadium, I'd go. But not a big stupid festival. Too much headache.
06-22-03 09:25 PM
Toronto Tom
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Love the Stones....but not enough to put up with a big stupid festival 600 miles from home. If it was an arena or stadium, I'd go. But not a big stupid festival. Too much headache.

OKay I read what you posted above a number of times. And I would be no friend if I did not tell you to stop step back and read what you said. YOu just refered to a stones show as A STupid FEstival. YOu have heard the line up. The impact on it in HIstory and most important the stones will be there.

"Stupid FEstival"

I think not!!!!!!!!!!

06-22-03 09:27 PM
mac_daddy when do tix go on sale?
06-23-03 12:45 AM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, I saw the line up. I am not remotely interested in anyone except the Stones. In fact, if it weren't for the Stones being on the bill, it would be a big stupid snoozefest.

I have been to big festivals. They ARE stupid, and there is no way around it. Too many people, too much hassle. It takes an hour to take a piss. It takes an hour to get a beer. And then you can't get back to the spot that you spent 3 hours getting in the first place! Meanwhile you get to watch the show on one of the many jumbotrons that are set up a quarter mile from the stage, and you get to enjoy all the drunken assholes falling all over you, yelling in your incoherently in your ear. A bottle of water costs a fiver. And you have to wait in line for an hour to get it. Then, when it's over, it takes 4 hours just to get out of the damn parking lot. Tom, I love the Stones. And if they were doing this someplace with limited, assigned seating, I'd be there. But I know that the entire ordeal leading up to the Stones taking the stage would leave me too drained, both mentally and physically, to enjoy the show when it finally starts.

Oh, and the security...yeah, I'll bet the tightened, heightened, security will make things REALLY joyful.

Tom, it has nothing to do with the Stones or Toronto. Festivals like this are just so massive in size, and attract such a large amount of people, that it makes them a huge hassle, a big headache, and little fun. Hence, I have dubbed them all, not just the SARS Festival, as "big stupid festivals". I can list all of the festivals that I've been to if you want...it's a pretty long list...so I am speaking from experience. I'm not making this stuff up. It's the nature of the beast.

Just for the record, I hope all of you who decide to go and brave the massive crush of humanity that will be at that gig, have a wonderful time. I don't mean to drag anyone down about it. But if you are gonna go to this thing, you better be prepared for the reality of something like this. It will be brutal. I know what these huge festivals are like, and even the Stones couldn't get me to go to another one.
06-23-03 01:42 AM
Gimme Shelter I've heard the show may be telecast. Anybody know anything about this? July 30th is my birthday, so I'm very tempted to make the trip from California.
06-23-03 08:47 AM
Boomy July 30th is a friggin' Wednesday!!

People have to work during the week, so unless you are self-employed or have some vacation days in the bank, this thing is impossible to attend.

With a 7 1/2 hour drive, I'd rather have a few days off instead of having one day off, rushing to TO, standing half a mile away from the stage only being able to hear the concert, and rushing back to Indiana to make it before the 3rd shift bell.

06-23-03 08:56 AM
scope Yeah, mid-week is adding to the hassle of this. I've yet to get the okay to take time off for this. I am probably looking at 4 days, Tues-Fri for this. My boss can be a real prick about this when others already are scheduled out. And yes, SS, I agree with you about the hassles of a festival. With the lineup that has been mentioned so far, any confirmation as to how long the Stones would be on stage. This would be one hell of a downer to go through all this for a 1/2 hour set.
[Edited by scope]
06-23-03 09:11 AM
mac_daddy gimme shelter - if I go, I will be coming from socal...
06-23-03 09:13 AM
nankerphelge Yeah the mid-week festival thing is less than ideal.

But that's life -- it's still the Stones and more importantly the people that like the Stones. I sure don't expect to spend the whole day at the show! I expect craft a wonder buzz with some fun people and then catch the show, and then party with some fun people!!

06-23-03 12:10 PM
Sir Stonesalot Have a great time.

I'll watch at my friends place. Wave to me.
06-23-03 12:21 PM
Joey " SARS, incidently, is for pussies!!! "

I would like to nuzzle you !

JACKY !!!!!!!!

06-23-03 01:05 PM
Jumping Jack Given that the sound sucks at stadiums it can only be worse with 200,000 people. A $540 plane ticket, hotels, etc. make it about a $750 ticket. Thanks, but no thanks.

Events like this are for locals who want to get drunk, not Stones fans. Wouldn't matter to most if it were the boys or the infield of a NASCAR event. Just a big drunken party. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I can get drunk at home many times for that price.
06-23-03 01:12 PM
LadyJane Okay all you naysayers......Time to think about this!! REALLY THINK!!

The Stones are leaving Europe and heading to North America for what could be the last North American date of the Licks Tour!!

All reports I have heard state that they will play a FULL set.

Everyone has been talking about an RO summit---Can you think of a more perfect spot?!!

SS and Scope..I understand your concerns about huge crowds, and the hassles, but I doubt the organizers want this to turn into a big fiasco. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't turn out to be a 2 day event.

Granted...living in Buffalo....it's not that big of a deal for me to travel to Toronto. But I've traveled a lot farther to see this Band...and if I had the means.....I'd be in Europe.

Are we going to let the Shidoobeeans put us to shame? They've already got an entire hotel booked.

And in our heart of hearts, don't we all wonder how much longer the Stones are going to tour?

I'll leave you with this thought......."This could be the last time, this could be the last time, maybe the last time, I don't know"

What if this IS the last chance you get to see the Rolling Stones?

I'm not willing to take that risk. So........I'm GOING TO TORONTO!!!

I'm not trying to sound like Pollyanna....I just don't want any of you to be kicking yourselves for missing a historic Stones event.

LadyJ.
06-23-03 01:20 PM
nankerphelge The way I look at it -- you can complain about festivals, or cost, or sound, or distance, or NASCAR fans, or whatever you need to do to justify the fact that you didn't go!

But in the end, you didn't go.
And you could have!!!
06-23-03 01:32 PM
Joey " But in the end, you didn't go.
And you could have!!! "

I like the way you think . May I drink of your cranial fluid ????????????

" Penned by a HACK in the Palisades Ronnie "

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJACKY

JACKY BOY !

06-23-03 01:34 PM
nankerphelge Sorry, fresh out of cranial fluid!

Just get yer ass to Toronto Hacky!!!
06-23-03 01:57 PM
parmeda
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
The way I look at it -- you can complain about festivals, or cost, or sound, or distance, or NASCAR fans, or whatever you need to do to justify the fact that you didn't go!

But in the end, you didn't go.
And you could have!!!

Ya know...you're right Nank.

You'll think I'm nuts for saying this too, but, it's not an issue of cost or craziness that keeps me from committing. I have this vision that it's the end of July, hotter than hell and I'll be bombarded by dehydrating, puking, sweaty slobs, lmao! General admission is a fear alone. I've been spoiled...I've been up in the front where the action is, and that's where I'd want to be. Getting up there would be an amazing fete for me without getting arrested. Shit, the last time I did something that crazy was in 1978 for crying out loud! At a Stones show no less, LOL.

As much as I would love to see a show like this I don't think I could handle it. And as much as I would love to see most of you, I would rather wait for a more opportune time in which I could really enjoy your company.

I'm thinking long and hard on this one my friends...

[Edited by parmeda]
06-23-03 02:13 PM
nankerphelge Just get yer ass to Toronto!
06-23-03 03:10 PM
jb Any crowd less than 750k will be a major embarrssment........
06-23-03 03:46 PM
nankerphelge So get your ass to Toronto!
06-23-03 03:55 PM
jb Soy un peridor, I'm a loser baby , so why don;t you kill me?
06-23-03 04:20 PM
tumbling_dice WOW LJ U said it best! This is a once in a lifetime event. I certainly am willing to make a few comfort sacrifices to be a part of history and to see the GREATEST band in the WORLD!!!!!!!!What days are you all going to be in Toronto? Does anyone have any info about when and where we will be meeting? Looking Forward to the PRESS ANNOUNCEMENT TOMORROW!!!!
06-23-03 04:36 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yer learnin' me boyo...yer learnin'.

I'm not gonna kick myself in the slightest.

If the last Stones show I ever see was ROSELAND...well, so be it. I can't think of a better way for it to end.

However, if the last Stones show I ever see was at a miserable festival...well, that could leave a very bad taste in my mouth.

Oh, and by the way...I don't feel the need to compete with anyone LJ. All the Shidoobians that I've met up with have been top notch cats & chicks. This isn't some silly contest.

I think what has happened here is that when this rumor started, and I include myself in this, there was an initial rush to excitement. "Yippee! The Stones are coming back! I've gotta be there!". But now, reality has set in. It is going to happen, and it is going to happen at a gigantic 200,000+ person festival. It's one of those things that looks cool on paper, but in practice is a whole different story.

I'm sure the organizers of this thing will try to do the best job possible. But look, they only had about 60 days to whip this thing together. And I'm telling you right now...you can't plan for 200,000+ people. Every festival that I've ever been to becomes overwhelmed. It can't be helped. That is just the nature of the beast. And the fact that all the planning is being done on the fly doesn't help matters. They can't gather up all the facilities needed for 200,000+ people...because thare aren't enough job johnnies in all of Canada to be adequate. There are never enough of ANYTHING at these festivals...and this is when they have been in planning for a year or so. And they better plan on having the army present to do security because there is not a private security company in the world that can adequately do proper security for 200,000+ people. There is no way they will let coolers or backpacks in. It is gonna be ugly.

And what if mother nature doesn't co-operate? Standing in a downpour listening to bands that don't interest me for 8 hours...just so I can hear the Stones...doesn't sound very appealing. And it can be just as bad, if not worse, if mother nature does co-operate. Then people will just drop like flies from heat stroke and dehydration. Just what I want to do at a fun festival...CPR.

Anyone who is going to this thing will have to be mentally and physically prepared for combat. I'm not kidding. By the time the Stones hit the stage, you will be 10+ hours into the thing. And if you are thinking of showing up late, you better be happy with watching the jumbotron, because you won't get within half a mile of the stage.

I'm seriously NOT trying to talk anyone out of going. I'm trying to help you out by making you aware that you need to be READY for something like a festival of this size. And I don't mean just paying lip service to it, you will REALLY need to be prepared for it. Because if you go up there and expect to flit about on whimsy...you will end up getting crushed. And I don't want that to happen to anyone.

So, please go. It's a good cause, and the Stones will be there. Just please be prepared, and take care of yourselves. I don't want any tragic circumstances happening to any of my cyberpals. I'd like to say tragic stuff never happens at these things...but I can't. And it would have hurt me real bad if something bad happened, and I didn't say anything previous. I now have a clear conscience.
06-23-03 04:46 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Oh, and by the way...I don't feel the need to compete with anyone LJ. All the Shidoobians that I've met up with have been top notch cats & chicks. This isn't some silly contest.

Just trying to rally the troops, SS!! I KNOW this isn't some silly contest!!

And somehow I get the feeling that you NEVER feel the need to compete with anyone!! And I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. You obviously are a man of strong conviction. I admire that!!

We'll miss ya in Toronto and appreciate your concern for the well being of those that decide to attend.

LadyJ.

06-23-03 05:02 PM
Sir Stonesalot LJ, you got me figured pretty well.

I do what I want, when I want. I really have very little concern for what other people think or say about me.

I know Nanky probably thinks I'm some old fart just being paranoid.

But I'm not. I have a gut feeling about what is going to go down in TO, and it ain't good.

I pray that I am really wrong. Believe me, there won't be a happier guy than me if you can all come back and rub my face in how wrong I was.

I just want everyone to think...really think...about how to approach this thing. Tumbling Dice...if you think that it's just going to be sacrificing some "comfort", you better check yourself. It will be a lot more than that. And that is the type of attitude that I'm trying to prevent.

Please everyone...be smart, and stay safe.
06-23-03 05:25 PM
Boomy Hey, I'm not saying this thing will not be fun. It probably will. But it's no sweat off of my sack if I don't go to this thing.

Fact is, it's on a Wednesday, which is Hump Day, which is a work day. It's very hard to get a few days off, let alone one day off.

Page: 1 2 3 4

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003