ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Happy 4th of July
Ethan Russell
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: cocksucker blues Return to archive
06-15-03 12:44 AM
gringo300 how many versions of "cocksucker blues" have been recorded?

06-15-03 12:50 AM
Soul Survivor As far as I know, 2.

The studio one, and theres an electric version out there somewhere
06-15-03 02:24 AM
gringo300 i remember hearing 2 versions.

an acoustic version and an electric version. the 2 versions have somewhat different lyrics.

06-15-03 03:23 AM
corgi37 There is only 2 that i know of. I have both. The acoustic is very basic and badly recorded. The guitar is virtually invisible. The electric version is excellant. Very long (about 6 mins) with fantastic twin guitar interplay. For the life of me i dont know why they never did this live, instead trying to shock and amuse with shockers like starfucker. CS blues is the real deal as far as shock-rocking tunes go.
06-15-03 04:38 AM
fmk438j maybe you could also count the time they rehearsed in 78.

or not.
06-15-03 05:50 AM
gringo300 and if i recall correctly, rolling stones did a movie or home video or something along the lines of such titled "cocksucker blues".
06-15-03 05:54 AM
Moonisup how many questions are you gonna ask? LOL
[Edited by Moonisup]
06-15-03 06:20 AM
gringo300 infants grab fingers
06-21-03 09:48 AM
Stonesdoug I have 5 different versions including the Woodstock rehearsals
06-21-03 09:54 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Stonesdoug wrote:
I have 5 different versions including the Woodstock rehearsals

five!!

bloody hell!!

what do they all sound like??

i know the acoustic only and then i was cast in to a lake of fire...

STONES!!

06-21-03 10:46 AM
Nasty Habits Hey Hey SIA --

Most of the variations I've heard are on the acoustic tip, slight mix changes - I have yet to hear a true alternate vocal from '69 from MJ and would be perfectly delighted to do so.

You know the one from '78, surely?

My beloved Beasts of Bourbon do a version on that double live record they put out that I do not love.

A band called Blind Willie's Johnson from Austin, TX used to do it. Their version was pretty bad.

And there was this lame indie rock band from Louisville called the Silver Jews that released it on a fake bootleg called, amusingly enough, "Hot As Hell". Their version is also unconvincing.

For me, the original will always be eternal - I do not buy the singing on the '78 version although I like the guitars and the harmonica.

The "real" one still scares me to death, 15 years after I first heard it.

Nasty!

(My helmet is way too tight!)
06-21-03 10:58 AM
stonedinaustralia

hey hey nasty

but no nasty - there's a big hole in my knowledge where the woodstock version should be - i'm yet to hear it

yet good to hear from you again
06-21-03 11:05 AM
Nasty Habits Well hell, it sounds like somebody ought to treat you to some weird ass jamz on Tell Me and Cocksucker and Play with Fire and all the rest of the 4/4 on, say, Pearls At Swine. (I could never make it through the four CD thing).

You got my last e-mail, yes?

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
06-21-03 11:26 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:

You got my last e-mail, yes?

if you replied to the address from which my last was sent then no - if you sent it off in the last 24 hours that means i'll see i'll see it monday morn (my time)

STONES!!
06-21-03 11:28 AM
Nasty Habits Monday morning it is, then, because that's where it went.

Check your PM for a Saturday treat!

06-26-03 04:58 PM
Beatle Neil I laughed long and hard when I first read about a review of the song by Terry Southern for The Saturday Review:
"The C--------r Blues, a 10-letter word beginning with 'C' and ending with an 'R'
.......and it isn't 'Contractor'."

HA HAAAARGHHH!!!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003