ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

RIP BRIAN JONES 1942 - 1969
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: As the Golden Age of Rock n' Roll comes to a close... Return to archive
25th June 2007 01:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels AC/DC vs Led Zeppelin.

I think a good time to mark the spot where the "Golden Age of Rock n Roll" ends is when the Rolling Stones (or possibly Dylan) quit touring. Then the historians can begin to get an objective view of it all. Most of the great blues and r&b guys are dead now. The Rock n Roll Stars are starting to take their turn dying now. Time is a bitch. It was a great run....a really great run....
25th June 2007 01:47 PM
Dan
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
AC/DC vs Led Zeppelin.

I think a good time to mark the spot where the "Golden Age of Rock n Roll" ends is when the Rolling Stones (or possibly Dylan) quit touring.

The Stones own golden age ended long ago. What they do now can hardly be considered rock n roll. Personally with the death of "classic rock," and possibly even the record companies, and most sheds getting plowed over, a new golden age can begin.
25th June 2007 01:48 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
25th June 2007 01:53 PM
Ten Thousand Motels The Road Goes Ever On

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
25th June 2007 02:24 PM
pdog Touring does not set the bar for creativity...
25th June 2007 02:42 PM
gimmekeef Some would say the golden age ended in mid 60's....so whose to say....Stones not rock & roll now?....Tell that to the 35,000 or so everynight that are waving...hollering...dancing... and having a good time.....35,001 counting Ronnie
25th June 2007 02:45 PM
MrPleasant AC/DC.

Aren't we in the "age of stone"?
25th June 2007 03:09 PM
Dan
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Some would say the golden age ended in mid 60's....so whose to say....Stones not rock & roll now?....Tell that to the 35,000 or so everynight that are waving...hollering...dancing... and having a good time.....35,001 counting Ronnie

Certainly watered down, but it's hard to feel sufficiently rocked when surrounded by cell phone yakking nacho gobbling yuppies. The crowd is a big part of the show itself and they simply do not draw rock crowds in most places in the U.S.
25th June 2007 05:11 PM
mojoman
quote:
Dan wrote:

Certainly watered down, but it's hard to feel sufficiently rocked when surrounded by cell phone yakking nacho gobbling yuppies. The crowd is a big part of the show itself and they simply do not draw rock crowds in most places in the U.S.

you make me weep dan........
25th June 2007 07:50 PM
fireontheplatter don't mind dan..he's just bitter. i mean look at him sitting there all alone with his 40 and his joy stick in his hand.
25th June 2007 08:33 PM
pdog that isn't bitter, that is bliss!
25th June 2007 08:47 PM
Nellcote Can you say Mott The Hoople?

Crank It!

25th June 2007 09:15 PM
mojoman
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Can you say Mott The Hoople?

Crank It!

nice!!!
26th June 2007 06:56 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
don't mind dan..he's just bitter. i mean look at him sitting there all alone with his 40 and his joy stick in his hand.

Not bitter, just realistic. Most people at Stones shows these days don't get rocked out in the oldfashioned sense, they get entertained (nothing wrong with that) or at least slightly amused. And believe me, in Netherlands at least, at this show I saw, it was certainly less than 40% of the not-even-that-large crowd who were dancing, singing or moving at all.
26th June 2007 07:11 AM
Stray Cat UK Maybe if they had more GA gigs............oh why bother -I've heard enough of this argument.

just look at the crowds in Sth. America . They get what they deserve.

"you can keep the money pal " - yeah right !

sc uk
27th June 2007 07:28 AM
corgi37 I've never fully understood the adulation of Ac/dc. Sure, some killer tracks are in their catalogue. And i just loving playing their songs on guitar. Drumming to them is shit easy, but fun. But overall, they are mainly for poor people with dodgy tatts and missing teeth.

Well, here in Oz anyway.
28th June 2007 11:24 AM
polytoxic
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

Not bitter, just realistic. Most people at Stones shows these days don't get rocked out in the oldfashioned sense, they get entertained (nothing wrong with that) or at least slightly amused. And believe me, in Netherlands at least, at this show I saw, it was certainly less than 40% of the not-even-that-large crowd who were dancing, singing or moving at all.

Yep, it's been a while since stadium crowds looked like this (It's Skynyrd, not the Stones, but you get the idea) ...if you want to skip the slow part and go straight to the solo, it starts around the 5:40 mark. But just dig on the energy of that crowd, it's big time rock n roll fun. That's what is going on with me when I'm at a Stones show, unfortunately the rest of my section usually isn't quite on the same wavelength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsWz-Q7JYQA&mode=related&search=
[Edited by polytoxic]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)