ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

RIP BRIAN JONES 1942 - 1969
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: From the wikipedia entry for "wicket pissah": Return to archive
25th June 2007 11:14 AM
Mel Belli wicked — 'very'; alternatively, 'wicked' may also indicate approval or become a universal descriptor, e.g., "That chowdah was wicked good." Connected with this is also the word "pissah," which can be used either as an adverb or a noun meaning "great". The two words are also used in conjunction with each to denote something of very high quality, i.e. "That game was wicked pissah." "Pissah", while legendary Boston slang, is in reality considered vulgar (being derived from the word "piss") -- and not something true Bostonians would say in polite company.
25th June 2007 11:17 AM
Ten Thousand Motels >...and not something true Bostonians would say in polite company.<

Damn. I didn't think true Bostonians kept polite company.

25th June 2007 11:40 AM
BONOISLOVE I am B ono!
25th June 2007 11:41 AM
Nellcote This wiki entry was obviously not placed by a true Bostonian, probably someone from Northern Massachusetts, commonly known as Maine.

Still it is indeed Wicked Pissah that the entry has made it to Wikipedia, as people worldwide are missing the boat!

Thank you for your continued support and cooperation!
25th June 2007 11:47 AM
speedfreakjive i thought it was referring to the English game of cricket, where the pitch is called a wicket
25th June 2007 11:58 AM
Mel Belli "Wicket" was a typo. Sorry 'bout that.
25th June 2007 12:22 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
This wiki entry was obviously not placed by a true Bostonian, probably someone from Northern Massachusetts, commonly known as Maine.

Not since 1820.

25th June 2007 07:10 PM
lotsajizz Bostonians never said 'wicked pissah'......it was a Somerville/Medford expression in the late 1980's that spread through the North Shore through the 90's but was NEVER (and is not today) widely spoken by those in the city proper. Popularized during the 2003-2004 baseball season and that friggin' movie "Fever Pitch", it was taken up thereafter by wannabees such as that Dennis Leary and those who wished to sound 'Bostonian' to those who would not know any better. The phrase has become so worn and hackneyed it has been abandoned by its originators in Scummerville and along the North Shore and is now largely confined to suburbanites....
[Edited by lotsajizz]
25th June 2007 07:44 PM
Nellcote Hey Jizzy, spoken like a true Rhode Islander...
25th June 2007 07:53 PM
lotsajizz spoken like a true Franklin-ite in turn Nelly, thus--by definition--FAR better spoken than those from Med-fuh or Scummerville
25th June 2007 08:05 PM
Nellcote I was in Hahvid Sq Friday night, 1st @ Pierre Art Gallery for my gahddahter's showing, then for several hours @ Charlie's Kitchen. The extinction you speak of is not true! And, my aunt has lived in Sommervile for 45 years, it is far from the phrase you have termed it....But, again, Little Rhody is a blinkah...
25th June 2007 08:32 PM
pdog Dropkick Murphy's rock!
26th June 2007 12:01 AM
Zack I always thought the expression included the indefinite article as in "The Sahx game was a wicked pissah."
26th June 2007 05:44 AM
lotsajizz the 'Fever Pitch' link again.....you'll never hear someone from Boston proper use the term....the fact that it was over heard in Harvard Square indicates that!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)