ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

RIP BRIAN JONES 1942 - 1969
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 'Citizen Kane' still AFI's vote for Best Movie Return to archive
21st June 2007 02:51 PM
Ten Thousand Motels 'Citizen Kane' still AFI's vote for Best Movie
BY: Actress Archives | Thursday, June 21, 2007

10 years after the American Film Institute first compiled its list of the top 100 movies, Citizen Kane has managed to hold on to the top spot on the list. The 1941 Orson Welles classic tells the story of a newspaper tycoon named Charles Foster Kane, and the final word spoken by the powerful media magnate, "Rosebud". Welles wrote, directed, produced and starred in the 1941 epic.

The American Film Institute reissued its "100 Years...100 Movies" list on the 10th anniversary of its original publishing. 1,500 film artists, critics and historians were chosen as the jury for the list, which evaluated movies based on their critical recognition, accolades, lasting popularity and historical/cultural significance. While Citizen Kane maintained its spot atop the list, The Godfather locked down the second spot on the list, followed by Casablanca, Raging Bull, which jumped 20 spots to number four, and Singin' in the Rain.

While movies like Singin' in the Rain and Schindler's List moved up the rankings, as did the Alfred Hitchcock film, Vertigo, which catapulted from 61st spot to 9, several classics slipped in the rankings. Gone With the Wind fell from fourth to sixth, Lawrence of Arabia dropped from fifth to seventh, The Graduate slipped 10 spots from seventh to 17th, and On The Waterfront sank from the eighth spot to the 19th spot on the American Film Institute's list.

The biggest leaps on the AFI list were the 1956 John Ford western The Searchers, which leapt amazing from 96th spot to 12th on the list, Buster Keaton's 1927 silent comedy film The General, which catapulted from off the chart to 18th position, and Charlie Chaplin's City Lights, clocking in at 11th spot after finishing in 76th ten years ago. The biggest drops include several films that fell completely off the list, including Dr. Zhivago, Dances With Wolves, Amadeus, Fantasia, The Jazz Singer and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Of the movies released in the past ten years, Saving Private Ryan deputed at number 71, giving Steven Spielberg a record 5 films on the list. The others were Schindler's List, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Jaws and Raiders of the Lost Ark. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring debuted in 50th spot, Titanic nabbed the 83rd place and The Sixth Sense landed in 89. Some other notable debuts on the AFI's list were Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (67), The Shawshank Redemption (72), All the President's Men (77), Spartacus (81), 12 Angry Men (87), Blade Runner (97) and Toy Story (99).
----------------------------------------------------------
2007 AFI list of top-100 movies
http://www.cleveland.com/newsflash/entertainment/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-8/1182395759245010.xml&storylist=entertainment

21st June 2007 02:55 PM
Saint Sway Where did "Running Out Of Luck" place?
21st June 2007 03:06 PM
Joey
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Where did "Running Out Of Luck" place?

..... just behind the classic " Bodacious Ta Ta's !!! "

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJACKY !
21st June 2007 03:22 PM
glencar WHat a crappy list! Spielberg is like the Rutles; the name gets the crap onto lists. No way ET should be on anyone's greatest films list.
21st June 2007 03:22 PM
glencar Turn on your heartlight indeed!
22nd June 2007 05:47 AM
corgi37 Fucking stupid list. Where is "Night of the living dead"?

Or, at least, "Dawn of the dead".
23rd June 2007 03:24 AM
MrPleasant The A.F.I. is... the A.F.I.
23rd June 2007 07:13 AM
Ten Thousand Motels BUDDY HOLLY VS. THE LIVING DEAD
June 21, 2007
Fangoria.com

Elvis got his own horror vehicle with BUBBA HO-TEP, so we guess this was inevitable… Fango heard from writer/director Justin Kirkpatrick about his new movie BUDDY HOLLY VS. THE LIVING DEAD, scheduled to start shooting in July in Kalamazoo, MI for Ream Enterprises and CineXperia Productions. The dual-leveled storyline deals with a group of filmmakers working on a zombie movie set in 1956, when four friends head for the local rollerskating rink to see a performance by a young, up-and-coming Holly, little knowing that zombies created by government experimentation are also about to crash the party. Nate Melvin, William Elwood, Kelly Dominique, Serena Scobey, David Alexander and Joseph C. Stratton star; original EVIL DEAD FX artist Tom Sullivan is both working behind the scenes and playing an onscreen role as well.
23rd June 2007 09:28 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
No way ET should be on anyone's greatest films list.

It's on mine. That's because I have a heart....I cried and I cried....hand me the hankerchief I well up with tears just thinking about it.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
23rd June 2007 01:12 PM
Honky Tonk Man The Searchers is a fantastic western and probably the greatest. You can pick it up on DVD dirt cheap. Buddy Holly nicked John Waynes "That'll Be The Day" for a certain hit of his.
23rd June 2007 01:58 PM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
The Searchers is a fantastic western and probably the greatest. You can pick it up on DVD dirt cheap. Buddy Holly nicked John Waynes "That'll Be The Day" for a certain hit of his.

Which one? "Peggy Sue" ?
23rd June 2007 03:26 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

this would also make a very cool t shirt.....
24th June 2007 07:23 AM
corgi37 Kalamazoo - The new centre of American film.
24th June 2007 08:35 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Which one? "Peggy Sue" ?

Nope. Brown Eyed Handsome Man
24th June 2007 07:48 PM
BONOISLOVE That list is crappy and it makes my HEART ache.

Where's "Glitter"? Or "The Care-Bears Movie"?
[Edited by BONOISLOVE]
24th June 2007 07:58 PM
Joey
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:
That list is crappy and it makes my HEART ache.

My heart has been aching for twenty - three days now .

But here is some GREAT NEWS !!!!

Paris Hilton gets out of jail Tuesday !!!!!!!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah !

Oh , and she will be on ' Larry King Live ' Wednesday Evening -- YES !!!!!!!!!

JJJJJJJJJACKY HILTON ! ™
24th June 2007 08:06 PM
lotsajizz HEY Joey!!!!!!!!!
24th June 2007 08:08 PM
Dan Citizen Kane was boring.
24th June 2007 08:29 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
Joey wrote:

My heart has been aching for twenty - three days now .

But here is some GREAT NEWS !!!!

Paris Hilton gets out of jail Tuesday !!!!!!!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah !

Oh , and she will be on ' Larry King Live ' Wednesday Evening -- YES !!!!!!!!!

JJJJJJJJJACKY HILTON ! ™

Joey?

25th June 2007 03:12 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
Dan wrote:
Citizen Kane was boring.

It's not that bad. Watch it under the influence of something, and it seems good.
25th June 2007 05:27 PM
MrPleasant Is this in that list?

It isn't? Who cares.

25th June 2007 05:34 PM
MrPleasant What about this one?

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)