ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

RIP BRIAN JONES 1942 - 1969
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New White Stripes "Icky Thump" Return to archive Page: 1 2
20th June 2007 09:07 PM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
FUCK!

How did I forget that Icky Thump dropped yesterday?

Dang.

I don't think I'll have time to go get it until the weekend...

Least I have something to look forward to.

It goes well with the BBC concert stuff recorded last week or so...
We are blessed people... Ryan Adams soon. I just got a recent FM broadcast of a show, but haven't listened yet...
21st June 2007 02:07 PM
_Boomy_ You Don't Know What Love Is...

You just do as you're tooooold...
22nd June 2007 10:55 AM
Potted Shrimp It Rocks
22nd June 2007 03:44 PM
mojoman the voice loved it!!!

While absorbing the Blueshammer ersatz and pheromone-scented metallurgy of Icky Thump, the White Stripes' sixth record, it's hard not to long for the candy-striped sibs who once sat in that little room, working on something good. Remember them? Way back before the supermodel weddings, Nashville mansions, and sundry side projects? Just Jack on guitar and Meg on drums. So what if she played like a paste-addled fourth-grader? All that stuff about falling in love with a girl, going to Wichita, and seeing rats on the doorstep was as straightforward and vibrant as the wardrobe. Jack himself certainly remembers—on Thump's "Little Cream Soda," he lays aside the thrasher riffs for a second to recall the days when "a wooden box and an alley full of rocks was all I had to care about," only to toss off the sentiment with a dismissive snarl: "Oh well."
"Oh well"? Oh well, the affecting style that made them the most imaginative revivalists of their generation has been replaced by half-assed and half-hearted prog rock. Oh well, the pair of blues tunes here ("300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpour Blues" and "Catch Hell Blues") have such an awkward gait they actually feel like they're played by obligated divorcees. Oh well, it sounds like Jack wrote these songs in five minutes and Meg learned them in three. Oh well, the mere fact of being the White Stripes has spoiled the very thing that once made them saviors.

But unless they're saving the army of Candy Children from a deficiency of Bad Company, tunes like "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do What You're Told)" and "Effect & Cause" don't reinvent the wheel so much as hastily retread it. Owing much to young Ozzy ("Icky Thump"), old Ozzy ("Little Cream Soda"), and Humble Pie ("I'm Slowly Turning Into You"), the rest of Thump 's character seems just as lazily borrowed. What's worse, the scraps of originality—the bullfighting, trumpet-backed fanfare of "Conquest" and the two-part bagpipe jig "Prickly Thorn, but Sweetly Worn/St. Andrew (The Battle Is in the Air)"—are simply absurd.

Which leaves "Rag and Bone," a half-song/half-skit wherein Meg and Jack talk about ransacking a vast, cluttered room in a sprawling mansion. Jack admits the motive ("Make some money out of 'em, at least!"); "This fits me perfect," Meg answers in a greedy whisper. They don't notice that they're still standing in the same little room they once built, but it's just become too icky to recognize. Oh well.
22nd June 2007 04:37 PM
polytoxic
quote:
mojoman wrote:
the voice loved it!!!

While absorbing the Blueshammer ersatz and pheromone-scented metallurgy of Icky Thump, the White Stripes' sixth record, it's hard not to long for the candy-striped sibs who once sat in that little room, working on something good. Remember them? Way back before the supermodel weddings, Nashville mansions, and sundry side projects? Just Jack on guitar and Meg on drums. So what if she played like a paste-addled fourth-grader? All that stuff about falling in love with a girl, going to Wichita, and seeing rats on the doorstep was as straightforward and vibrant as the wardrobe. Jack himself certainly remembers—on Thump's "Little Cream Soda," he lays aside the thrasher riffs for a second to recall the days when "a wooden box and an alley full of rocks was all I had to care about," only to toss off the sentiment with a dismissive snarl: "Oh well."
"Oh well"? Oh well, the affecting style that made them the most imaginative revivalists of their generation has been replaced by half-assed and half-hearted prog rock. Oh well, the pair of blues tunes here ("300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpour Blues" and "Catch Hell Blues") have such an awkward gait they actually feel like they're played by obligated divorcees. Oh well, it sounds like Jack wrote these songs in five minutes and Meg learned them in three. Oh well, the mere fact of being the White Stripes has spoiled the very thing that once made them saviors.

But unless they're saving the army of Candy Children from a deficiency of Bad Company, tunes like "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do What You're Told)" and "Effect & Cause" don't reinvent the wheel so much as hastily retread it. Owing much to young Ozzy ("Icky Thump"), old Ozzy ("Little Cream Soda"), and Humble Pie ("I'm Slowly Turning Into You"), the rest of Thump 's character seems just as lazily borrowed. What's worse, the scraps of originality—the bullfighting, trumpet-backed fanfare of "Conquest" and the two-part bagpipe jig "Prickly Thorn, but Sweetly Worn/St. Andrew (The Battle Is in the Air)"—are simply absurd.

Which leaves "Rag and Bone," a half-song/half-skit wherein Meg and Jack talk about ransacking a vast, cluttered room in a sprawling mansion. Jack admits the motive ("Make some money out of 'em, at least!"); "This fits me perfect," Meg answers in a greedy whisper. They don't notice that they're still standing in the same little room they once built, but it's just become too icky to recognize. Oh well.

Sounds like that writer slept with a thesaurus under his pillow the night before.
22nd June 2007 07:06 PM
fireontheplatter its a bunch of non senseable garbage
the only good thing about them is the cute lazy little drummer girl
22nd June 2007 07:09 PM
mrhipfl I don't like this album as much as the rest. It just seems that a large part of it is just strange noise. It might grow on me though.
22nd June 2007 07:15 PM
pdog I like strange noise...
23rd June 2007 06:35 AM
Potted Shrimp
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
its a bunch of non senseable garbage
the only good thing about them is the cute lazy little drummer girl

No, Meggy is NOT lazy! Yes, she's cute! The Megster is hot.
23rd June 2007 08:02 AM
Zack Yo, Potted Shrimp. You've posted 7 times since 2004?
23rd June 2007 08:11 AM
Potted Shrimp
quote:
Zack wrote:
Yo, Potted Shrimp. You've posted 7 times since 2004?

Quality above quantity my friend! Posted thousends of times on IORR but got banned by the BV gestapo 'cause he could not handle the pure beauty that is Meggy!
23rd June 2007 10:50 AM
LastChild saw the stripes front row last week at bonnaroo. meg and jack are just as amazing live....catch em if you can.

and the new album is brilliant. best album of the year so far!
23rd June 2007 11:41 PM
IanBillen Went out and bought it today.

Just had my full first listen: Pretty good! I like it. And that is on just one full spin.

Icky Thump:

Straight back to the powerhouse sound of Elephant. Considerably bigger sounding and much heavier guitar production than the last outing Get Behing Me Satan (although the last outing was still good). The melencholy distant feel of much of the material on GBMS is non-existant this time out. This latest release is a very upfront and straight forward in both the sound of the album and the feel of it. Not much time to sit around and cry about a lost loves or reminiss of the past on Icky Thump. This album doesn't go there (and again, absolutely not to imply that their stuff along these lines wasn't any good on the past releases because it surely was). As well it is not a very long album. Although it is 13 songs it is over before you know it and in that respect kinda leaves you wanting a little more at the albums end. A very positive sign that an album is good. No complaints and not a single song I didn't care for.

Musically it is a mix of blues, southern rock, and strangely scottish style music is all over it. Even on the heavier guitar tracks. Unlike albums in the past such as Elephant this album doesn't take you on a ride with hills and valleys. There isn't really a tempo or mood change throughout this album. It is constant in what it is. It pretty much just takes it's spot down in front and stays there till the end.

However, and quite interestingly the scottish stuff fits right in with the explosive bluesy guitar and southern rock rythm stuff. Any experimentation? Sure Jack always has some of that. It never is over the top and is surely not meant to dominate the album. The experimentation is there in spots on Icky thump but it knows its place. The tempo? Faster or at least faster mid-tempo for the most part.

I like it. Although I'll need another two weeks to see how much I like it I can tell you it is not a dissapointment in any respect and is made to satisfy.

At this time of a review I would say ...."Overall" an impressive and a strong release. This time there is no need to say "overall" because it is strong from beggining to end. Like I said, not one bitch about it here from me. A solid album with that big guitar based sound. and about Meg, yes she is there on drums just like always but this time that is all it is....she is simply "there". Still filling it in and working nice but she is never shoved down your throat.

If there is one sentence to sum up this album I would say it would have to be that it's the White Stripes doing what they do best....just being and 100% sounding like the White Stripes we love.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
[Edited by IanBillen]
25th June 2007 02:29 AM
pdog Meg is a DILF...
25th June 2007 03:15 AM
Potted Shrimp
quote:
pdog wrote:
Meg is a DILF...

MILF : Drummer I Like To F*CK?
25th June 2007 04:13 AM
Zack PS, I'm counting on you to turn this into the Meggy Appreciation Thread. More pix in tight garments!
25th June 2007 06:53 AM
lotsajizz it came in the mail on Saturday....an excellent album

that ass shot of Meg from behind in that spangled suit is awesome too!
25th June 2007 07:38 AM
EELPIE
25th June 2007 08:31 AM
Potted Shrimp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmBltreyCkk

25th June 2007 08:43 AM
Potted Shrimp
25th June 2007 09:06 AM
EELPIE
27th June 2007 04:53 PM
speedfreakjive bought the album yesterday, awesome in every sense, varied and musically brilliant
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)