ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

RIP BRIAN JONES 1942 - 1969
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Isle Of Wight Festival, Seaclose Park, Newport, IOW 10th June 2007 - Setlist, Photos & Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
10th June 2007 10:59 PM
glencar Wow, I've been away for a few days but this tour's set lists are EXTREMELY "low-key" & a "tad" disappointing.
10th June 2007 11:19 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
glencar wrote:
Wow, I've been away for a few days but this tour's set lists are EXTREMELY "low-key" & a "tad" disappointing.

well this wasn't a stones show, though. It was a festival so warhorses was definitely the right way to go.
11th June 2007 12:34 AM
mojoman did donovan ever do the wight festival gig before? or countyry joe?
11th June 2007 12:44 AM
mrhipfl http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,11025-2007260821,00.html

methinks Keith's getting a little too cocky...
11th June 2007 01:01 AM
mojoman he's just fully cocked!!!
11th June 2007 01:31 AM
Moonisup keith looks awfull
11th June 2007 01:40 AM
speedfreakjive look, chucks the engine now
11th June 2007 02:51 AM
pdog I think, and this is not a finger point or an accusation, but Keith has a look off opiates. Probably Rx, since junk is old school. I don't know, just the talk of his playing and me looking way too long at the pics...
Sounds like the rocked pretty good... I'm hoping to see some clips and hear some of these IOW tunes played...
11th June 2007 03:14 AM
Pierre

11th June 2007 04:03 AM
FotiniD
quote:
pdog wrote:
I think, and this is not a finger point or an accusation, but Keith has a look off opiates. Probably Rx, since junk is old school. I don't know, just the talk of his playing and me looking way too long at the pics...
Sounds like the rocked pretty good... I'm hoping to see some clips and hear some of these IOW tunes played...

I'm getting repetitive, but what about the age factor?

With a history of such abuse, we don't exactly expect a baby face! And I think alcohol alone can pretty much ruin your playing on any given night, so...
11th June 2007 06:40 AM
Voodoo Scrounge From what I saw last night both Keith's and Ronnie's playing was shit!

Keith fucked up SMU and was out of tune on SFTD. Ronnie was just being his usual wavy, stupid self.

Im really pissed because my mates will have watched that and laughed. They were saying before the gig that the stones were too old to be touring and that they have become a joke and there performance last night seemed to prove them right.

Im really pissed.
11th June 2007 06:50 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
From what I saw last night both Keith's and Ronnie's playing was shit!

Keith fucked up SMU and was out of tune on SFTD. Ronnie was just being his usual wavy, stupid self.

Im really pissed because my mates will have watched that and laughed. They were saying before the gig that the stones were too old to be touring and that they have become a joke and there performance last night seemed to prove them right.

Im really pissed.

Dudes are old VS...but did you pals enjoy You Got Me Rocking??
Im pissed and nervous too as I hope they will be better in one week at Lyon.
If they suck Miss Mc FLy with laughed at them too and I will have to throw her by the car window!
11th June 2007 07:06 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Im sure they enjoyed the whole set. But I was really hoping that the boys would hit top form and blow the place away!

Their playing was bad!
11th June 2007 07:22 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Im sure they enjoyed the whole set. But I was really hoping that the boys would hit top form and blow the place away!

Their playing was bad!

ok...anyone got link to videos???
11th June 2007 07:31 AM
Honky Tonk Man I think I was a little harsh last night. Some sloppy playing coupled with poor coverage (highlights from the previous nights and only TWO Stones songs???). On reflection though, what a show it must've been. Being at and loving a Stones show and watching it on TV or DVD are two completely different things. They didn’t perform well, but I’d be a liar if I were to say I‘d of noticed if I was there.
11th June 2007 07:45 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I thought they sounded awful!
11th June 2007 09:13 AM
Lord Homosex Forget about Keef's moustache...what is the deal with his neck?? Or absence-thereof?
11th June 2007 09:40 AM
Stray Cat UK He's put weight on and it shows in his face. I should know ,I'm a fucking expert!

He dosen't look shit,he just looks heavier.Maybe some pre-tour tips from MJ ?

sc uk
11th June 2007 09:42 AM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
He's put weight on and it shows in his face. I should know ,I'm a fucking expert!

He dosen't look shit,he just looks heavier.Maybe some pre-tour tips from MJ ?

sc uk

Are you fucking kidding me?

MJ is one of the skiniest fuckers in the world! What would he now about getting heavy?
11th June 2007 09:51 AM
Stray Cat UK I meant he could do with tips on how to lose some!

sc uk
11th June 2007 09:55 AM
Voodoo Scrounge ok, fair enough
11th June 2007 09:58 AM
nankerphelge Tingle tingle...

"We're digging what we are doing," Keith told me backstage in Virgin Radio's VIP room.

"After 40 years, there are absolutely no murmurings of mutiny and I think we will continue next year as well."
11th June 2007 10:04 AM
Honky Tonk Man Is it just me, or does the Isle of Wight festival attracts a slightly older crowd? Maybe that is why the Stones went for it instead of say, The Carling Weekend, or Glastonbury? The latter I think would’ve done them more good. I know McCartney played there a couple of years ago, but I have a feeling he’s considered less of an oldie than the Stones amongst the younger generation.
11th June 2007 10:07 AM
FotiniD
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Tingle tingle...

"We're digging what we are doing," Keith told me backstage in Virgin Radio's VIP room.

"After 40 years, there are absolutely no murmurings of mutiny and I think we will continue next year as well."

That's nice to hear

(Yeah, yeah, warts and all)
11th June 2007 10:37 AM
GotToRollMe Rolling Stones the high note on Isle of Wight
By Helen Brown at the Isle of Wight Festival
Last Updated: 9:09am BST 11/06/2007

The Rolling Stones took to the stage last night for their first performance at a UK festival in more than three decades - and blew away all newcomers also headlining at the festival.

Mick Jagger credits voice coaching for his return to form

In a masterclass of rock'n'roll, Mick Jagger strode out at a pace which would have left most 20-somethings wheezing, before ripping into an exuberant set.

The wrinkly rockers, whose last appearance at a British festival was at the Knebworth Fair in 1976, played the finale to the three-day event at the weekend and as they sailed out on a treadmill platform into the crowd, the applause was enormous.

Paulo Nutini was indulged by Jagger as co-vocalist on a deep blues version of Station to Station, while Amy Winehouse also shared a stage with the band later in the evening.

The Stones were joined by younger acts such as Winehouse, Keane and Muse in the line-up, but it was clear that a large percentage of the 60,000-strong crowd were there to see just one thing.

As hard as the mainstream pop acts such as former Spice Girl Mel C and Radio 2 favourite James Morrison tried on stage, talk among the fans increasingly revolved around Jagger and Keith Richards.

The highest-earning band in the world had arrived at the Isle of Wight on their own privately chartered ferry, big enough for their entourage of 200 people, five Winnebago trailers and a private security team.

Speaking before the performance, Richards said he had no plans to retire and that the band showed no signs of internal "murmurings, mutterings or mutiny".

Expressing his happiness to be playing to a home UK crowd once again, he added: "It's kind of weird you know, for us. Coming back home is always like a bit more special. We just carry Britain with us really, our little bubble of it."

The guitarist said that he was still enjoying the buzz of performing live and added: "I really love to play on stage, it's a miracle and every couple of days I get to go out there and I enjoy a lot of things with a lot of people.

"And by now, especially now, it's a real pleasure."

Jagger, meanwhile, credited voice coaching for his recent return to form, adding: "I did a bit of voice coaching a few years ago, well 35 years without any voice-coaching, you might say it was better late than never."

When asked if it was a bit embarrassing that they are still the best rock act in the world, the pair said they hoped that would change but stressed the importance of loyalty and practice.

Their message was that the band that continues to play together stays together.

Earlier this year, the band unveiled planned dates in Russia, Ireland, Romania and London's O2 Arena on the second European leg of their long-running A Bigger Bang world tour, which kicked off in Boston, USA in August 2005.

Since then, the Stones have visited 16 countries, playing 110 shows in front of more than 3.5 million fans.

This year's Isle of Wight Festival was the sixth since it was relaunched 30 years after its heyday, when it attracted up to one million hippies to the island.

The festivals at the end of the 1960s were a series of legendary events featuring Bob Dylan, The Who, Free, The Doors, Joni Mitchell and Jefferson Airplane, culminating in 1970 with 600,000 hippies descending on the island to see Jimi Hendrix perform his penultimate concert.

Link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/06/11/nwight111.xml

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
11th June 2007 10:41 AM
Sir Stonesalot >imo, they can still deliver a solid show when they really need to.<

I completely agree.

My question is....at $450.000/$150.00 for tix, shouldn't they "really need to" every night?

And not only that, but shouldn't their self respect and ego be kicked in enough to "really need to" every night? Most of the touring musicians that I've talked say that playing well is what keeps them grinding. You never know who is gonna be in the crowd. So they feel like they have to give it all out every night.

Is there any way to motivate The Stones into thinking that the rest of their career is depending on every show that they play?

It seems that the only time they deem us worthy of getting one of those great shows...is when they feel like they have their backs up against it.

So how do we make them feel like their backs are up against it...all the time?
11th June 2007 10:47 AM
Mel Belli Confusing "Love In Vain" with "Station to Station" ... What the hell is "Station to Station" anyway?
11th June 2007 10:49 AM
Sir Stonesalot >Paulo Nutini was indulged by Jagger as co-vocalist on a deep blues version of Station to Station, while Amy Winehouse also shared a stage with the band later in the evening.<

WTF? This dingbat writer thought they were covering a Bowie song?

What a fucking idiot.

Don't you have to like....know stuff...to be a music columnist?

Short answer: Obviously not.
11th June 2007 10:50 AM
Saint Sway this shot reminds me of so many great Mick & Woody photos from the 75/7 tour.

hopefully someone more resourceful than me can pull out a classic shot from that era to pair alongside this one. It would make for a perfect combo header

11th June 2007 10:51 AM
jostorm For fecks sake, you great nobheads : stop criticising just from reading the sodding setlists,it's always the same with you trainspotters, you weren't bloody there (I would add nanananaaaaaana, or would that be inappropriate? )

The Stones were actually fucking fantastic, just as Pauly said, I have personally NEVER been at such a concert where so many young none-fans just got into Stones-fever and danced like maniacs, they had the crowd totally in their hands,it was an EPIPHANY, YOU FUCKING PHILISTINES (go, go, look the words up!) and there were very few middle-aged beer-bellied people in Stones t-shirts, the average age was about 20 and these people dance to technocrap like Groove Armada,for fecks sake, which makes it much more of an achievement! You could almost see the bewilderment on these kids' faces, they didn't mean to like it but they just did! Sympathy for the devil, indeed, if ever there was some....
The 6 kids ( in their early twenties) camping next to us, who came just to see Muse, gave them the best possible compliment ANYONE could give them, it was their first Stones concert, they didn't really dig them, it's the sort of songs they knew from the radio, no more, and they said "what I don't get is why did they chose Muse as the best live act in Rolling Stone Magazine three years in a row, the Stones beat the shit out of them, and they're ancient!?" They were blown away, I was really proud by proxy....

Yes, they were not perfect, so what's new?
Yes, Tim Ries moved CYHMK from my "to fuck to slowly"-drawer and into my "to ride elevator to in very tall building"-drawer (God, am I the only one here? I fucking hate him, I wish they'd ALL take their sodding instruments and finally leave to join Tijuana Brass, Tim Ries gives the only blowjobs I have NEVER liked!...)
And yes, they are ancient.(Gipsy: great pics, but only the woman giving him facials should see Keith's face at that magnification, don't you think???)
But they fucking rocked the kasbah like noone else can, full stop!

Hopefully Pauly will add his bit later, he's about to board the ferry back now...

Anyway,I personally had an absolute blast!
Fantastic weekend with daughter, brilliant athmosphere,beautiful sunshine, wonderfully friendly crowd, on average 18 to 20 years of age, everyone dressed up in weird costumes and even weirder hats, big groups of friends in themed outfits, enormous fake sunflower pins all over the place, on everyone's bandannas, hats and bags (proceeds went to local hospice), absolutely beautiful half-naked young people everywhere,our resident lechers (no, no names!) would have had a field-day, it was just soooo lovely, beats the shit out of our conveyor belt stadium shows with mainly Stones fans, because it was soooo different,it was like an enormous, laid-back, friendly carnival.....Families all over, toddlers, kids, some people looking like they'd been to the original 70's festival...The woman standing next to me got up on some wheelie-bins during SFTD and displayed her tits to Mick, and very nice indeed they were, if I may say so, three other girls did the same, it was a riot, you would have had to be in a fucking coma or six feet under not to be infected by the vibe and to start moving your ass to the sheer R'R. To point out the technical faults is just anal,what's the matter?? mum potty-trained you much too early??? you want perfection at a live gig??? go listen to a studio recording instead...

Nuttelli was great, and Love in Vain was awesome, but Amy and him really don't have any sexual charge going, it looks a bit
like a lanky teenage camper being forced to sing with wicked Uncle Ernie at the holiday camp in "Tommy"....Song was great, though....

Oh and Mick bantered away at the introductions "blabla this is a fantastic festival,I'm staying over there in a tent with my kids...although next time I shall pay someone 40£ to put it up for me...we were walking around this afternoon and I noticed things are a bit overpriced...two quid for a bottle of water...four quid for a hamburger...
plus the dog ate my dope!"

And at the band introductions Charlie and Keith got what could only be described as a massive standing ovulation, it was so great...
Anyway, that was that, back to reality with a bigger bang than usual...
See you in Madrid, Gazza (and GTRM???)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: CHIBA UPDATE: yes they ran the dogs past the entering crowds, which was a downer to say the least, on the upside there waS SO MUCH WEED BEING SMOKED INSIDE THAT I suspect they took the fruit-and-vegetables-dog with them instead....
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)