ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Brian
© Retna with special thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: BIANCA JAGGER CRITICISES LIVE 8 CELEBRITIES Return to archive Page: 1 2
June 24th, 2005 05:20 PM
keith_tif BIANCA JAGGER CRITICISES LIVE 8 CELEBRITIES

SIR MICK JAGGER's ex-wife BIANCA has hit out at stars such as BONO and SIR BOB GELDOF for using "hype" to highlight poverty.

Jagger, a dedicated human rights campaigner herself, is concerned the public are oblivious of the many unsung heroes involved in making the effort work - as they

are blinded by the fame of the LIVE 8 figureheads.

She says, "Celebrities need to be cautious about using sound bites and hype and spin when we are dealing with issues as complex and overwhelming as this.

"The campaign to make poverty history is the collaborative effort of NGOs, grass roots, organisations, the UNITED NATIONS and thousands of people are trying to achieve the millennium development goals.

"A lot of people are impressed by fame, impressed by BONO and GELDOF. It isn't just about the two of them."

23/06/2005 17:18

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/bianca%20jagger%20criticises%20live%208%20celebrities

June 24th, 2005 05:34 PM
moy today i posted this news here and then deleted and reposted it here http://novogate.com/board/968/212792-1.html
June 24th, 2005 06:10 PM
Gazza I think Bianca overestimates the public's stupidity and ignorance. As dumb as most people are, I doubt too many think its all about two singers when theyre confronted by pictures of starving people on their TV screens every night.

She cant have it both ways. She's used her own name to highlight certain issues herself that otherwise wouldnt have got such a high profile (she's also kept her married name to keep herself in the spotlight, even though shes been divorced for over 25 years from an ex husband that she has minimal contact with)

As annoying as celebrity soundbites often are, it helps any cause to have a well known person as a figurehead. If Geldof or Bono's pontificating saves a few people's lives, I'll live with being mildly irritated by them once in a while. It'll hardly kill me.
[Edited by Gazza]
June 24th, 2005 08:23 PM
Soldatti It seems that Bianca lost the turtle here.
June 25th, 2005 02:24 AM
texile many people involved with these issues have made the same case.....thier point that there are organisations and people involved with these issues on a real grassroots level - and 2 rocks stars decide to throw a concert and the issue is diluted........and tommorow everybody is happy because 2 rocks stars made it news for a few weeks.
well gazza - she could be doing be doing a reality tv show ......you've got to be doing something right when you piss people off........say what you want but actions speak luder than words and she acts on her word.
saint bono and sir geldof are not above reproach....
June 25th, 2005 04:18 AM
pdog
quote:
texile wrote:

All of them are doing more than me, I just yell at my TV!

June 25th, 2005 08:32 AM
texile good point p. - that's true of most of us ..............lol.
ahh to be a saint or a sir - and untouchable to the masses -
bless those who refuse to bow.........
that would be the easiest thing to do - and that makes everybody feel better, but it doesn't DO anything except stroke our our complacent and collective egos -
why read the details if i can just watch a concert?
when jello biafra headlines a concert, i might reconsider.........
June 25th, 2005 10:13 AM
Nellcote Bianca's thoughts have been effected by the mold in her apartment..
June 25th, 2005 11:01 AM
Gazza
quote:
texile wrote:
many people involved with these issues have made the same case.....thier point that there are organisations and people involved with these issues on a real grassroots level - and 2 rocks stars decide to throw a concert and the issue is diluted........and tommorow everybody is happy because 2 rocks stars made it news for a few weeks.
well gazza - she could be doing be doing a reality tv show ......you've got to be doing something right when you piss people off........say what you want but actions speak luder than words and she acts on her word.

I didnt say they were. To me, they're all in the same position (Bianca included) in that they're using their celebrity status to help publicise a cause they feel is worth promoting. Nothing wrong with that as in this case the end justifies the means. I just find it a bit hypocritical that one 'celebrity' feels the need to criticise another celebrity for doing the same thing as she does, just because some dim witted people may think said celebrity is bigger than the cause in question.
June 25th, 2005 11:40 AM
Hannalee I always wonder why these things always crop up in the papers; Geldof's been involved in this stuff for twenty years - plenty of time for Bianca to thrash out any issues with him personally.
June 25th, 2005 12:05 PM
Lethargy Bianca is one of the dumbest, most repulsive people ever born.
June 25th, 2005 12:38 PM
jb
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Bianca is one of the dumbest, most repulsive people ever born.

Why Lethargy? Why?
June 25th, 2005 12:52 PM
telecaster Bono, Geldoff, & Bianca are all idiots. We have spent the same amount of money as 6 (six) Marshall Plans on Africa and it is worse than ever.

Fuck 'em, you can't help those that won't help themselves

$401 BILLION US WASTED

£220bn stolen by Nigeria's corrupt rulers
By David Blair in Abuja
(Filed: 25/06/2005)

The scale of the task facing Tony Blair in his drive to help Africa was laid bare yesterday when it emerged that Nigeria's past rulers stole or misused £220 billion.

That is as much as all the western aid given to Africa in almost four decades. The looting of Africa's most populous country amounted to a sum equivalent to 300 years of British aid for the continent.

Former leader Gen Sani Abacha stole between £1bn and £3bn
The figures, compiled by Nigeria's anti-corruption commission, provide dramatic evidence of the problems facing next month's summit in Gleneagles of the G8 group of wealthy countries which are under pressure to approve a programme of debt relief for Africa.

Gordon Brown, the Chancellor, has spoken of a new Marshall Plan for Africa. But Nigeria's rulers have already pocketed the equivalent of six Marshall Plans. After that mass theft, two thirds of the country's 130 million people - one in seven of the total African population - live in abject poverty, a third is illiterate and 40 per cent have no safe water supply.

With more people and more natural resources than any other African country, Nigeria is the key to the continent's success.

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/06/25/wnig25.xml

June 25th, 2005 02:02 PM
Hannalee Nigeria comes clean and shows the way for Africa

Nigeria is a giant - Africa's most populous nation, its biggest oil producer and, as we report from Abuja today, the most spectacular embezzler of public funds. Figures released by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) reveal that between independence from Britain in 1960 and the restoration of civilian rule in 1999, Nigerians squandered £220 billion. As David Blair, our Africa correspondent, points out, that is almost exactly the total of Western aid given to Africa between 1960 and 1997.

The scale of such theft would seem to make a mockery of the Africa Commission's proposals for 100 per cent debt reduction and $25 billion of new aid over the next three years. And the timing of the commission's revelations will be seen as embarrassing for Tony Blair as he prepares to host the G8 summit in Scotland, where Africa, along with climate change, is at the top of the agenda. Yet the fact that the continent's biggest looter has made public its past crimes gives ground for hope.

President Olusegun Obasanjo served as military ruler of Nigeria during the period surveyed by the EFCC, but as a civilian head of state he has taken four important steps to tackle corruption. He has set up the commission, under Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, and given it teeth. He has appointed the extremely able Mrs Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as finance minister. He has sacked two members of his Cabinet and the national police chief, all of whom have been charged with malfeasance. And he has set up an excess crude earnings account, into which goes all the revenue earned from oil above the $25 a barrel on which Nigeria bases its budget. With the price over twice that sum, the account holds £4.6 billion. Previously, that excess would have disappeared without trace, the main reason for the country's egregious level of embezzlement; now it is open to public scrutiny.

Mr Obasanjo has made a start on rooting out a systemic evil. The challenge is formidable in a country where people equate their politicians with thieves and where, apart from the federal government, there are 36 state governments and 774 local administrations, all of which are tempted to take their cut.

On top of that, it is by no means certain that the successor to Mr Obasanjo, who has to step down in 2007, will show the same resolve as he has, and whether the services of Mrs Okonjo-Iweala, a former World Bank vice-president, will be retained.

In the face of that possibility, it would be helpful if Nigeria could be rewarded with limited debt cancellation and increased aid by the creditor nations, to demonstrate to Africa south of the Sahara that good governance pays. Of greater practical, as opposed to symbolic, importance would be the opening of Western markets to local products.

Nigeria, with its long periods of military rule and the deeply corrupting effect of oil wealth, has been the despair of Africa. Under Mr Obasanjo, who oversaw the transition to an earlier period of civilian rule in 1979 and was twice democratically elected in 1999 and 2003, the country has begun to change for the better. If that continues, the potential is enormous. As a businessman told David Blair: "We are a volcano of opportunities waiting to erupt."

June 25th, 2005 02:14 PM
jb
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Bono, Geldoff, & Bianca are all idiots. We have spent the same amount of money as 6 (six) Marshall Plans on Africa and it is worse than ever.

Fuck 'em, you can't help those that won't help themselves

$401 BILLION US WASTED

£220bn stolen by Nigeria's corrupt rulers
By David Blair in Abuja

The scale of the task facing Tony Blair in his drive to help Africa was laid bare yesterday when it emerged that Nigeria's past rulers stole or misused £220 billion.

That is as much as all the western aid given to Africa in almost four decades. The looting of Africa's most populous country amounted to a sum equivalent to 300 years of British aid for the continent.

Former leader Gen Sani Abacha stole between £1bn and £3bn
The figures, compiled by Nigeria's anti-corruption commission, provide dramatic evidence of the problems facing next month's summit in Gleneagles of the G8 group of wealthy countries which are under pressure to approve a programme of debt relief for Africa.

Gordon Brown, the Chancellor, has spoken of a new Marshall Plan for Africa. But Nigeria's rulers have already pocketed the equivalent of six Marshall Plans. After that mass theft, two thirds of the country's 130 million people - one in seven of the total African population - live in abject poverty, a third is illiterate and 40 per cent have no safe water supply.

With more people and more natural resources than any other African country, Nigeria is the key to the continent's success.

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/06/25/wnig25.xml

We must ask why Robert Mugabay(sic) is still in power?
June 25th, 2005 02:48 PM
texile bianca's celebrity - those are all cop-out accusations;
geldof organised live aid 20 years ago.....the rest of the time was spent covorting with the british idle classes.......bono's just naive but very vocal.
and hey, bianca's criticised both sides of the social, political spectrum - right, left, conservative, liberal - why shouldn't rock stars be open for debate?
she could live to be 1000 yrs old, and no matter what she does - the association with jagger will always be thrown in her face - disagreement is one thing - but the attack is moot and irrelevant .......
rock stars and thier simplistic statements are counterproductive to the real issue at hand - debt releif, bono's little hallmark solution.....would be disastrous in all kinds of ways to the very people it is trying to help -but bono is so damn charismatic and so....BONO-esque - the masses are struck with awe;
that kind of kind of shit is dangerously misguided, but hey - it's bono (and i love u2) so it MUST be the right thing to do.
it seems to me - if bianca's intentions were, as everyone so predictable counterpoints, attention or whatever - she might want to ALLIGN herself with the trendy soundbites rather than criticise - that would be easier.........
an independent mind is always lethal.......instigators are a good thing.
real political activism requires more than good intentions;
the great thing about the stones political content was it's cynical refusal to offer easy answers......
remember hands across america? its transient pseudo-activism and allows everyone to feel good about one day...
then bono will go back on tour and bob will be at the charity balls...
why are rocks stars so beyond criticism?
explain that?

and i really DO u2 - up to achtung baby, that is.....

June 25th, 2005 03:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
texile wrote:

the great thing about the stones political content was it's cynical refusal to offer easy answers......

Maybe they didn't have any answers.
June 25th, 2005 03:19 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
We must ask why Robert Mugabay(sic) is still in power?

because the racist murdering fucker doesnt have any oil?
June 25th, 2005 03:33 PM
Ten Thousand Motels He's not "axis of evil". And no oil. But it's not just the US ignoring him. For some reason the UN ignores him too. Our utmost (US/UN) respect for "national sovereignty" I suppose.
June 25th, 2005 03:37 PM
telecaster
quote:
Gazza wrote:

because the racist murdering fucker doesnt have any oil?

Milosivec didn't have oil either and we took him out
June 25th, 2005 03:46 PM
Hannalee
quote:
texile wrote:
bianca's celebrity - those are all cop-out accusations;
geldof organised live aid 20 years ago.....the rest of the time was spent covorting with the british idle classes.......

Well that's an outright lie, for a start.

As for Bianca, many people on the board in previous threads have expressed their admiration for her humanitarian endeavours, myself included. In this instance, however, I think her criticism is unfair both to the celebrities involved and to the people they are trying to mobilise. Live 8 isn't aimed at replacing or competing with existing efforts to change the world for the better, but at seizing a politically opportune moment that may never occur again.

June 25th, 2005 04:15 PM
Gazza
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Milosivec didn't have oil either and we took him out

be my guest and please do the same with Mugabe, then, General Tele!
June 25th, 2005 04:37 PM
texile bianca's mistake was mentioning the word celebrity because it just opens her up to that criticism....
if you read the acual interview, not the soundbite - celebrity in of itself is not the issue.....
celebrities offering dangerously naive solutions IS;
i see your points gazza and hannalee, and i mean no offense because i love debate.....
but geldof and bono's concert WILL subvert attention from the issues the g8 summit is trying to address - after all, 2 rocks stars are so much more glamorous than real discussion - my friend and i were dismissing the whole thing weeks ago so this isn't just in defense of bianca....

i like bianca but do not alway agree with her politically -
i happen to agree with her on this point.
besides, i get the feeling she is more than capable of weathering dissent - are bono and gelfof?
if you can't take the friction, then what's the point of getting involved......let them answer the questions at hand - not just get by with thier aura........
and motels - true ....perhaps they didn't know the answers and that's why it's honest.
June 25th, 2005 04:47 PM
texile this is the kind of shit that makes me proud to be a stones fan........
the fact that issues like this even come up in connection to the stones is great - i mean we could be debating the merits of all ex-girlfriend's tell-all books.....
not that that's not a legitimate discussion;
peace.
June 25th, 2005 08:38 PM
telecaster
quote:
Gazza wrote:

be my guest and please do the same with Mugabe, then, General Tele!

Hey! You crazy Eurpoeans started it with Milosevec

Then called in the big old bad USA to finish because you couldn't/wouldn't

Need to rent some B'2's???

tele!!!!!
June 25th, 2005 08:51 PM
texile yeah but the big bad old usa dragged its ass ....
and it was too little - too late.
fuck monica - this was clinton's tragic downfall.....
June 25th, 2005 08:56 PM
telecaster
quote:
texile wrote:
yeah but the big bad old usa dragged its ass ....
and it was too little - too late.
fuck monica - this was clinton's tragic downfall.....

Wrong textile

After the United States Air Force pulled 30 days of around the clock precision bombing decades of mass murder ended
and so did the terror of Milsovec and 10 million people now live free of terror

30 days. US Air Force. B-2's

All over. Done

June 25th, 2005 09:03 PM
texile yeah, but after everyone shamed us into taking action.....
we showed up at the fallout;
June 25th, 2005 09:10 PM
telecaster
quote:
texile wrote:
yeah, but after everyone shamed us into taking action.....
we showed up at the fallout;

Did you just come out of a coma textile?

No, it was after the UN tried to "intervene" and Europe tried to "intervene"

They failed. Zero results. Nothing. Years and lives and billions wasted. No results.

They (UN & Europe) asked Clinton and the US to help

We did. 30 days. Done

Story over

June 25th, 2005 09:22 PM
texile
i'm not denying the 30 days telecaster, just the slowness of it, and it wasn't just the us - everyone let that happen.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)