ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Brian
© Retna with special thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: My band's Demo EP is out! (NSC) Return to archive
June 22nd, 2005 01:16 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy So yeah, after much hemming and hawing, we recorded a demo EP in six hours, mixed it in one huge all-night session, and put it out yesterday. It's called Here Is No Water and I like it a lot. There're a couple of very Stones-y tracks on there, we've been compared very favorably to the Stones, Faces, Replacements, and others of that ilk.

You can get more info here: http://www.myspace.com/thethames

There're four tracks available to listen to at our myspace site. I like all four a lot, my only real big complaint is with one of the ones I wrote and sang - the last one, "Open Fire." We do an incredible job with that one live, but as it was literally the last song we recorded, at around midnight last Tuesday, and as I'd been doing backing vocals and the lead to a much tougher song I wrote ("Far To Fall," on the EP) I was really exhausted. I strain to hit a lot of those notes, and it really shows. Not bad for a one-take reading, but still.

Other than that, it sounds really great. All the tracks were basically recorded live in our drummer's living room with a minimum of takes - no one song took more than five, I think the limit was actually three and some of them on there are one-take affairs. It shows at times - a couple of missed cues, some ragtag noise scattered around, one or two flubbed notes in frenetic sections, but for a demo EP, I'm really pleased with it. A friend of mine told me yesterday that he simply cannot get the music out of his head and has been singing it all week.

So check it out! Let me know what you think!
June 22nd, 2005 03:38 PM
glencar I like the opening of Night Life & the vox are great! That you?
June 22nd, 2005 03:45 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
glencar wrote:
I like the opening of Night Life & the vox are great! That you?

Nope. That's the keyboard player, who's got a killer voice. I'm the sap that sings the backup ("do what you want" and the "aahs") and the link between the verse and chorus on that song. My only full lead vocals on the four demos up there's on "Open Fire," which, as I said, suffers a lot from being the last track recorded.
June 22nd, 2005 03:49 PM
glencar Well, I really like the first song. I just heard the 2nd one which I didn't like as much vocally although the song is actually very good. Same singer?
June 22nd, 2005 03:52 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
glencar wrote:
Well, I really like the first song. I just heard the 2nd one which I didn't like as much vocally although the song is actually very good. Same singer?

Nope. Rhythm guitarist - the George Harrison of our group. Doesn't write as much as the rest of us, but what he writes is golden. That one's got a bit of a weird vocal take as well, but he didn't want to record it again and we didn't force him. (I kind of think he sounds like Steve Miller.)
June 22nd, 2005 03:54 PM
glencar This 3rd one is a bit slower but I like it esp. the vocals (inc. the backing ones). Sounds like the Kinks a bit.
June 22nd, 2005 04:22 PM
Honky Tonk Man Hey Savage!

I'm really impressed. Your band sounds really good, but do you want to know the best thing about your group? YOUR NAME! The Thames is such a great name for the band! The NME would love that!
June 22nd, 2005 04:43 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Hey Savage!

I'm really impressed. Your band sounds really good, but do you want to know the best thing about your group? YOUR NAME! The Thames is such a great name for the band! The NME would love that!

Hah, we were thinking the same thing - the British music press would love us... an American band, a British river... our big problem these days is getting gigs, as the above-ground Boston music scene is largely inaccessable to the all-ages crowd (We're now all between 17 and 19) and it takes some time and some connections to wind up in basement shows, which's what we're trying to cultivate now. We might actually find a space and host one on our own.

Anyway, thanks for listening! If folks're in the area, we're playing at the All Asia bar on Sunday, July 3... it's between Central and Kendall squares on Mass Ave, take the Red Line to Kendall and walk towards Somerville or just drive, it's #334 Mass Ave.
June 22nd, 2005 04:50 PM
PeerQueer Good luck luv!

Boston is such an interesting place - amazing history, rugged blue collar vibe, with more than a bit of dirt under the fingernails.

Your band sounds tough - and I mean that in a very good way. Good luck - I run with a couple "trying to make it" bandmembers in my social circle when I'm staying in New York. (they call it "lipstick punk") They've been at it for over ten years now. Difficult business to crack, but rewarding when you do. Keep at it!
June 23rd, 2005 08:48 AM
J.J.Flash Jay's now SPEECHLESS......

Holy Moly......what can I say.....what am I supposed to say.....man ohhhhhh good man.....there is some muttafuckin' tastylicious wild raw Rock'n'Roll in it, isn't it?!?!? Ohhhhhh man....that sounds fanFUCKIN'tastic! Congratulations Chas and band....The Thames.....you have a bright future folks......I'm envy, I hope I could be able to sound like that one day....I'm always trying to build my own Classic Hard/Rock Band but it's quite tough lately.

One question: Can I download those songs or it's just available for an online-listening?

If you can Xizzy, send me a PM with further details.

Keep Rockin' (because you are already fuckin' rocking)
June 23rd, 2005 04:27 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Hey, thanks, JJF! Great to know you love it, and don't worry, it took us a long hard time to sound like that and we're still very far from perfect - but we're getting better all the time, as that other band once said.

As for the songs themselves, right now it's online-only, but the EP is available to order if you're interested - but stay tuned, there're'll be more, and at some point in the next week or so they'll be downloadable.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)