ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Brian
© Retna with special thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Batman Begins (NSC) Return to archive
June 20th, 2005 11:14 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Intense 'Batman Begins' one of year's best films
Monday, June 20, 2005 - Bangor Daily News

The good news about the new Batman movie, "Batman Begins," is that it doesn't cave.

Throughout, you can feel the pleasure that went into making it. Working from a script he co-wrote with David S. Goyer, director Christopher Nolan delivers an intense, beautifully crafted movie that deepens the Batman franchise with a fully realized vision that gets to the heart of how Batman began.

The film follows Nolan's previous movies, "Memento" and "Insomnia," with a story that focuses on a tormented soul facing a troubled past. True, this soul wears a mask, but then so do all of the characters in Nolan's works, even if those masks aren't as readily apparent as the one worn by this new Batman, nicely played by Christian Bale.

A quick glance at Nolan's films suggests an emerging theme - the idea that all of us wear masks. Whether it's at work or in our relationships, at the grocery story or at the gas pump, what haunts us, what angers us, what worries us and consumes us is carefully concealed behind a protective veneer of benign expression.

For Nolan, it's the peeling away of that mask that excites him, the search for truth that intrigues him. And so, not surprisingly, this story of what lurks behind a legendary superhero's mask proves the perfect match for his talents and interests. "Batman Begins" is Nolan at his best. It's his movie all the way.

The film opens with young Bruce Wayne falling into a well, where he lands in a cave and is quickly overcome by thousands of bats. Swarming him, biting him, scratching him, they leach into his psyche, becoming the one fear he must eventually purge if he is to have a meaningful life.

Born into privilege, Bruce is just beginning to grasp the extent of his wealth and social responsibility when his parents are murdered in front of him by the very sort of man the Wayne family has tired to help - a bum. Making matters worse for Bruce is that he feels directly responsible for their deaths. And so now, with no one left to care for him save the family butler, Alfred (Michael Caine in an excellent, jaunty performance), Bruce is cast into a journey of self-realization, the depth of which no other Batman film has explored.

Indeed, what Nolan does in "Batman Begins" is to reinform the Batman legacy with a backstory, allowing audiences fully into Wayne's world and thus, in turn, the man behind the mask. This differs from Tim Burton's 1989 version, which offered no insight into why Bruce Wayne selected a bat, of all vermin, as his guise of choice. Instead, Burton went for raucous, comic-book camp, which Nolan eschews in favor of new-age realism. As a result, his movie is dense and introspective, neither truncated nor rushed.

It's never boring - far from it - and it doesn't assume we know the legend going into it. Instead, it makes us see again why Batman has mattered to so many for so long. It's Bruce Wayne's ascension into Batman that the movie gets right.

For answers and insights into his life, he travels to Asia, where he is befriended by Henri Ducard (Liam Neeson), his mentor, and taught by the League of Shadows that in order to conquer fear, he must become fear. After learning how to fight - and then learning that the league isn't nearly as virtuous as it seemed - Bruce returns home, where Wayne Enterprises is on the verge of being traded publicly thanks to the mincing CEO Richard Earle (Rutgar Howard).

But that's only the beginning of Bruce's worries. Gotham, the city his father once tried so valiantly to improve, is on the verge of its own hostile takeover by crimeboss Carmine Falcone (Tom Wilkinson) and psychiatrist Jonathan Crane (Cillian Murphy), both of whom have plans that will suffocate Gotham into extinction. What's Bruce to do? Naturally, face his fear by becoming a bat.

He does so with the help of Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman), who once developed for Wayne Enterprises the sort of indestructible car and body armor once meant for the military, which rejected them due to cost, but now are perfect for a man who needs to survive the battle of his life.

The film's action sequences are kinetic, particularly in the fantastic penultimate scene in which Batman must stop Falcone, Crane and their men from wasting Gotham with a hallucinogenic gas that will force people to face what terrifies them most. What springs from this is Gotham by way of George Romero, with the city's residents turning into zombies who rage through the its dark corridors, the veins of which now thrum with absolute corruption.

With Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes, an idealistic assistant D.A. Bruce once fancied as a child, and Gary Oldman as the city's only uncorrupt policeman Gordon - yes, he will become Commissioner Gordon - "Batman Begins" doesn't spend much time rounding out its ancillary characters, which might be why Holmes, in particular, seems like such a bland nonentity. Still, this isn't her movie, or anyone else's movie. It's "Batman Begins" and so far, it's one of the best films of the year.

Christopher Smith is the Bangor Daily News film critic. His reviews appear Mondays and Fridays in Style, Weekends in Television, and are archived at RottenTomatoes.com. He may be reached at [email protected].

June 20th, 2005 11:21 AM
jb 48 million gross...
June 20th, 2005 11:27 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Batman Begins soars in worldwide box office

The Caped Crusader leads worldwide box office as Batman Begins gains some US$41.7 million from 73 international markets, with Britain contributing the most earnings at US$7.8 million.

The movie, the fifth in the Batman franchise has also reportedly topped the North American box office, having sold an estimated US$46.9 million worth of tickets in its opening weekend.

Initial estimates show the Warner Bros Pictures release has earned US$71.1 million across the United States and Canada since opening last Wednesday.

According to Warner Bros, the five-day earnings was the best start among the five films in the Batman franchise, with the record of US$66 million held by the third film, 1995's Batman Forever, which starred Val Kilmer.

The franchise folded in 1997 with the next film, Batman & Robin, starring George Clooney in a batsuit with nipples. - CNA/ha

June 20th, 2005 11:46 AM
FPM C10 I was just stopping by to post something about this! Thanks TTM.

Batman Begins is a GREAT flick. I loved everything about it. It makes you wish that they'd never made any of those "other" Batman movies - even the first (Tim Burton)one looks like a total piece of shit next to this. This movie has enough action and cute catch-phrases ("does it come in black?") to please the run-of-the-mill moviegoer, but it is a REAL film, with great acting, world-class cinematography, and deep dark questions about the nature of man and mankind.

I've always thought the Batman "mythos" was strong enough to support a film aimed at adults, and it finally got one. This film has NOTHING to do with the TV show and everything to do with the dark original 40s version of "the Batman" and the darker Frank Miller adult comics. When they first started making Batman movies in the 80s I thought they were heading toward making a film version of "The Dark Knight Returns" - so I was sickened to see they were actually heading toward big screen versions of Adam West's Batman. NOW they are back on the right track. There are no nipples on the batsuit this time.

This movie ends with what I hope was a promise of a franchise. It will be an unusual move, remaking a series that got screwed up the first time around, but I really hope they do it. I guess it depends on box office returns and a dedication to doing something right. The Lord of the Rings movies showed it CAN be done and can pay off handsomely. I really hope that 4 or 5 years from now "The Dark Knight Returns" will finally be made.
[Edited by FPM C10]
June 22nd, 2005 01:25 AM
Sir Stonesalot Dude...did you really think the acting was "great"? I thought the acting was terrible. Katie Holmes was...like REALLY bad. This is what my wife had to say about her performance, "I can act better than her, and I can't act." Katie better keep Tom happy because she ain't no damn good at her day job. The guy who was Batman was good in the cowl & cape(that's the easy part), but really terrible as Bruce Wayne. Liam Neison, who is normally brilliant, was a complete failure as the bad guy. I mean LIKED him...aren't we suppose to DISLIKE the bad guy? What a lame bad guy. Even Michael Cain and Morgan Freeman sucked in this thing.

On the plus side, the action sequences were pretty awesome. Better than anything in Episode III. The CGI was wicked good. I think maybe this was the best Batmobile too.

Now here's the thing that REALLY bugs me. So now the Joker DIDN'T kill Bruce Wayne's parents? What the fuck is that? Geez, according to the first Batman movie it was the Joker that killed 'em..."Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?"...remember that? I guess that the original movie was so long ago that we were supposed to forget about that. But this is a prequel...they HAD to fit into the original story. But they didn't...so it was either a MASSIVE continuity goof, or they are trying to rewrite history so they can make more Batman movies. Either way...it sucks. I hate it when they take me for an idiot.

Oh, and my kid said that the Scarecrow was "gay". That can't be good.

I would have given Batman Begins a D, but the action sequences take it up to a C. Still, it's better than that shitty Episode III crap.

I do not have high hopes for The Fantastic Four.
June 22nd, 2005 09:08 AM
corgi37 Batman is doing well here, as expected.

Though real men are awaiting George A. Romero's "LAND OF THE DEAD", which opens on Bush country on 24/6/05.

It wont be as big, but i bet its fucking gorier!

And, stars the amazing Dennis Hopper, the hot as hell Asia Argento, and the very Australian Simon Baker.
June 22nd, 2005 09:47 AM
ResidentMule I found Bale much worse as Batman than Wayne. I didn't much care for him either way, but I thought his voice was just stupid that he has to shout everything in that same gruff voice. at least Bale didn't suck as much as Kilmer or Clooney - but that ain't saying much. I had the same problem with Scarecrow - they did a great job creating some kindof secretive sinister character in his 'by day' persona (by the way - Crane moving all the loonies into his asylum so he'd have an army of crazies was the best Batman villian plot out of all the movie) and then they ruin him with the cheap voice distortion thing and turn him into some stupid boogie man. getting Caine as the new Alfred was a pretty cool choice. Katie Holmes sucked though. the Batmobile was gay too. also I'm getting tired of action movies that think the best way to do a fight sequence is show everything in dizzying half second bursts - that was probably the #1 thing that help the movie back from being anything special

as far as the Joker - they intended this to be the start of a new series, not Batman 5 or a prequel - hence why they'l be able to reuse Joker - and all the different comics made by different people over the years - they've retold the story a million times and none of them really line up. still, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who killed Wayne's parents turns out not to be dead and becomes the Joker in the next one

and I'm pretty sure Fantastic Four's gonna suck at least as bad as Hulk - Marvel's just not gonna give up the summer season and not have one of their properties in theaters, and Spiderman and Xmen aren't due til next year or the year after

I'm undecided if I liked this or Episode III better. both of them had a bunch of flaws
[Edited by ResidentMule]
June 22nd, 2005 09:51 AM
Bloozehound i'll wait till it comes out on DVD
June 22nd, 2005 10:21 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Dude...did you really think the acting was "great"?

Oh, you know me. I always overstate my case. Yeah, Katie Holmes was lousy. I did like Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman, though. Not like career-making performances or anything, but I thought they were okay. And the American Psycho guy was at least better than any of the other guys who've played Batman- yes, even better than Adam West!

I still give it a big thumbs up. Best Batman yet.

As far as the Joker thing, I think they did that to send a clear signal that this franchise is totally different from the last one, which is a good thing. Other than Jack Nicholson, the other four movies need to be forgotten.

I'm not sure - was it the Joker who killed Bruce Wayne's parents in the original comic book?

I also just got around to renting "Ray" last weekend, and I REALLY loved that. Was I over-reacting to that too?
June 22nd, 2005 03:46 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
FPM C10 wrote: There are no nipples on the batsuit this time.

You don't think that Joel Schumacher (director of the two previous Batman movies, St. Elmo's Fire, Dying Young, The Phantom Of The Opera and other womanish movies) had anything to do with that?

Films based on action comics are total escapism and can be enjoyed, but I'd hardy look for anything meaningful, new or truly exciting in them. For me, they're just expensive choo-choo trains. (I don't think that everything has to be "meaningful" - I just won't search for lessons nor for big thrills in comic book-adaptations.) As for this franchise, I prefer Batman Returns, because of the cast. Obviously Walken, DeVito, Keaton and Pfeiffer had a ball when they were sharing the screen - and you can't fake that.

Morgan Freeman? Mmm... ok (he has specialized in playing the same secondary character [bordering on tedium] - so he's reliable); Liam Neeson? Jesus, judging by his roles, do you think the guy is always uptight and joyless in real life? - he's like a less talented version of William Hurt (I liked him as Darkman, though); Christian Bale? I liked American Psycho; and Michael Caine... he increases the enjoyability of any movie in which he appears, just by the strength of his charisma.
June 22nd, 2005 03:53 PM
glencar Christian Bale was great in a flick called "Laurel Canyon." I won't waste time with BR as I'm tired of popcorn movies. I'd rather see Cinderella Man.
June 22nd, 2005 07:30 PM
Soldatti I'm going this Saturday to see it.
June 23rd, 2005 12:27 AM
Sir Stonesalot Oh hey, Batman Returns is worth a look while it's on the big screen. There is some cool stuff going on that will be more effective on the large screen. Just don't go in thinking this is anything other than a summer action flick.

>I also just got around to renting "Ray" last weekend, and I REALLY loved that. Was I over-reacting to that too?<

I dunno, I haven't seen it yet. I'd like to see it sometime.

I'm still digesting "Dig!", and the bonus stuff that comes with it.
June 23rd, 2005 12:59 AM
Bloozehound Ray was by far the best "real" film I've seen all year

possibly the best in a few years
June 23rd, 2005 06:14 AM
Poplar
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
playing the same secondary character [bordering on tedium]

no lie, my friend... it's bad. it seems to me like a lot of black actors seem to wind up in those slots. sad.

June 23rd, 2005 09:32 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Ray was by far the best "real" film I've seen all year

possibly the best in a few years

I just had no idea Jamie Foxx had that kind of performance in him. I forgot he wasn't really Ray Charles about 30 seconds into the movie.

He got an oscar for that, didn't he? He deserved it.
June 23rd, 2005 09:54 AM
Ten Thousand Motels

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
June 23rd, 2005 10:23 AM
Stonesthrow SS-- Re who killed Bruce Wayne's parents, this movie was correct. In the original comic back in 1939, Joe Chill was the killer. Sam Hamm, the screenwriter for the first movie, is the one who re-wrote history.

I also agree with FPM that this movie was much better than any of the first four.

June 23rd, 2005 07:18 PM
glencar The worst Batman villain? I didn't see the one w/Mr. Freeze but could it have been worse than Danny Devito's Penguin? The horror...
June 24th, 2005 12:52 AM
Sir Stonesalot >SS-- Re who killed Bruce Wayne's parents, this movie was correct.<

I don't give a shit about the comic. In the original movie, the Joker killed the Waynes. Period. Now they decide to mirror the comic so they can make more Batman movies.

It's more Hollywood bullshit.

Fuck 'em.
June 24th, 2005 04:41 AM
Stonesthrow
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I don't give a shit about the comic. In the original movie, the Joker killed the Waynes. Period. Now they decide to mirror the comic so they can make more Batman movies.

Fuck 'em.

Are you saying that you weren't consulted before the movie was made?

June 24th, 2005 10:03 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>SS-- Re who killed Bruce Wayne's parents, this movie was correct.<

Fuck 'em.

Actually the ORIGINAL movie was the one I saw when I was in third or fourth grade, starring the incomparable Adam West (well, not really incomparable, because you CAN compare him to William Shatner), and Caesar Romero as the Joker.

Someone decided that this version was lousy and that it should be remade. More Hollywood bullshit, at least according to Burt Ward.

And we liked the resulting Tim Burton/Jack Nicholson flick, which didn't refer back to the earlier version, so we didn't CARE that it was Hollywood bullshit.

Same deal here. The franchise begun with such promise with the Tim Burton movie was whored out to the execrable Joel Schumacher, resulting in Hollywood bullshit we DIDN'T approve of. So someone decided that THAT version had become so lousy that it should be remade. And I, for one, really liked the latest version, and am happy that they're projecting three more installments (as long as they don't farm them out to Joel Schumacher). It's only Hollywood bullshit, but I like it.

June 24th, 2005 12:42 PM
Bloozehound batman, fatman

who cares

X-men are the cats ass as far as all these comic book films are concerned

the Spidermans are a close second

the one good all this cgi technology has brought is that these comic book based films have finally had their day in the sun, they used to be hidiously silly, now they're damn fun, way better than the new Star Wars(except III) and lame matrix films

btw

Fantastic Four looks terrible, it'll be the Hulk of this next wave of comic book films
June 24th, 2005 01:07 PM
jb Is the underlying theme in all of the batman moviews that he is gay?
June 24th, 2005 01:29 PM
FPM C10
quote:
jb wrote:
Is the underlying theme in all of the batman movies that he is gay?

yes.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)