ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Brian
© Retna with special thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Billy Preston - What was his story? Return to archive Page: 1 2
June 22nd, 2005 09:09 AM
LE PAUL JAGGER This man is a genius!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's life

Do you prefer Billy or Chuck leavell for the tour?
June 22nd, 2005 09:15 AM
corgi37 Well, i think he really made an indelible impression with the Stone. Looking back, they were an amazing "funk" band in the 70's. I appreciate their sound now more than ever. Yet, i also feel its why people like Cameron Crowe are so much more "nostalgic" for Led Zep, Bowie, Cheap Trick, Black Sabbath, hell, even Foreigner.

The Stones were just too damn black and funky for the average Joe from Kansas or New Jersey. I really mean that too.

Plus, by the time Love you Live came out, and punk was all the go, i guess it was time to put away the afro's and Hammonds.
June 22nd, 2005 09:29 AM
jb
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Well, i think he really made an indelible impression with the Stone. Looking back, they were an amazing "funk" band in the 70's. I appreciate their sound now more than ever. Yet, i also feel its why people like Cameron Crowe are so much more "nostalgic" for Led Zep, Bowie, Cheap Trick, Black Sabbath, hell, even Foreigner.

The Stones were just too damn black and funky for the average Joe from Kansas or New Jersey. I really mean that too.

Plus, by the time Love you Live came out, and punk was all the go, i guess it was time to put away the afro's and Hammonds.

Corgi is still the King!!!!!!!!!!!
June 22nd, 2005 12:27 PM
texile true corgi........
that's why they were untouchable.
June 23rd, 2005 11:19 AM
corgi37 It's good to be the King!

I remember reading an article with Sly Stone, and he said the black music community really dug the Stones in the 70's. Much more than the white folks.

Black & Blue is (though in my opinion very flawed) very ahead of its time.
June 23rd, 2005 01:27 PM
jb
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
It's good to be the King!

I remember reading an article with Sly Stone, and he said the black music community really dug the Stones in the 70's. Much more than the white folks.

Black & Blue is (though in my opinion very flawed) very ahead of its time.

Man Corgi, listening to B-N-B in the Porsche today and then album kicks royal ass...........Hot Stuff opening, followed by Hand of Fate...and I think we can all relate to "Memory Motel"....good stuff ...
[Edited by jb]
June 23rd, 2005 01:50 PM
texile never read that about sly - makes me happy because he was a god
June 23rd, 2005 01:56 PM
jb
quote:
texile wrote:
never read that about sly - makes me happy because he was a god

A pimp before being a pimp was cool!!!!!!!!!
June 23rd, 2005 02:23 PM
lotsajizz vive le roi!
June 24th, 2005 08:46 AM
Lord Homosex yes I read Billy pissed Keith off, who had enough of him bringing in his own soundman and needing his own soundcheck. That wasn't abad gig though - to have tghe Stones as your backing band nite after nite. No one has ever gotten that one done.
I would be careful with throwing the phrase around about BP and WW "doing things with kiddies". That is the abslute worst tag and it is sometimes too easy to get stuck with it.
June 24th, 2005 11:15 AM
texile true - it's easy to tag someone with half-assed implications.....
i liked billy - so what if he got carried away, it was a good era for the stones;
charlies mentions in according to... that mick wrote some nice gospel things with billy -
and besides, everybody pisses keith off.
June 24th, 2005 11:15 AM
glencar Just ask Michael Jackson & Pete Townsend.
June 24th, 2005 11:17 AM
jb
quote:
texile wrote:
true - it's easy to tag someone with half-assed implications.....
i liked billy - so what if he got carried away, it was a good era for the stones;
charlies mentions in according to... that mick wrote some nice gospel things with billy -
and besides, everybody pisses keith off.

Amen
June 24th, 2005 11:36 AM
glencar Did the nice gospel stuff ever see the light of day?
June 24th, 2005 05:53 PM
gustavobala Someone knows IF taylor stay in the band for 1975 tour, billy preston and ollie brown will be out?
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)