ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Brian
© Retna with special thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Oh what the hell... Drinking thread pt 9. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
January 18th, 2005 05:17 PM
SheRat
quote:
gypsy wrote:

LJ, if we ever break the rules and decide to let a man into the © ROCC, it'll be sir-fucking-moonie!

I concur.

So say gyps, so say all of us.

That's a BIG "if," however. A BIG one.
January 18th, 2005 05:18 PM
SheRat I'm hungover again, by the way.

gypsy, will you send me valium?
January 18th, 2005 06:33 PM
Ten Thousand Motels SLASH'S FAMILY DRINKING TRADITION

Ex-GUNS N' ROSES rocker SLASH was left in no doubt his estranged family were his relatives when they devoured his backstage alcohol rider.

Slash, who was born in Stoke-On-Trent, England, was touring with the hedonistic band in the early 90s when the British arm of his family came along to watch a gig at London's Wembley Stadium.

And Slash, who has a well-documented history of alcohol and substance abuse, was amazed they managed to drink everything by the time he came off stage.

He says, "When my dad moved to America, he didn't get along with his dad at all and severed all ties with his British family.

"It wasn't until Guns N' Roses were playing Wembley that I got a phone call from a guy saying he was my dad's brother. It really was him, so the whole family came backstage at the Wembley gig.

"You can only imagine how much booze Guns N' Roses carried on the road.

"But when we came off stage we'd been completely cleaned out of anything with alcohol in it. I figure it runs in the family."

18/01/2005 21:29

January 19th, 2005 04:16 AM
Ten Thousand Motels OZZY ADDICTED TO COFFEE

Hellraising rocker OZZY OSBOURNE has found a new addiction since quitting his drink and hard drug habits - he's now hooked on coffee.

The former BLACK SABBATH frontman has worked hard to get clean after years relying on cocaine, painkillers and alcohol.

But Osbourne has just swapped those vices for a more legal one.

He made the discovery after calling on a therapist to cure his insomnia. The expert discovered Ozzy was drinking so much coffee it was keeping him awake at night.
January 19th, 2005 10:18 AM
nankerphelge For 56th Time, Mysterious Fan Marks Poe's Birthday With Cognac, Roses

By Kasey Jones Associated Press Writer
Published: Jan 19, 2005

BALTIMORE (AP) - The mystery man was dressed for the cold rather than tradition, and some spectators were not quite as respectful as in years past.
But for the 56th year, a man stole into a locked graveyard early on Edgar Allan Poe's birthday and placed three roses and a half-empty bottle of cognac on the writer's grave.

Jeff Jerome, curator of the Poe House and Museum, who has seen the mysterious visitor every Jan. 19 since 1976, gathered with about 20 people Tuesday night to glimpse the ritual.

"It was absolutely frigid," Jerome said of the sub-20 degree temperature.

No one, not even Jerome, knows the identity of the so-called "Poe Toaster." The visit was first documented in 1949, a century after Poe's death.

This year, the visitor arrived at 1:10 a.m. in a heavy coat and obscured his face with a black pullover, Jerome said. He was not wearing the traditional white scarf and black hat.

"He put the roses and cognac at the base of Poe's grave and put his hand on top of the (tomb) stone. He paused and put his head down," the museum curator said. He left after about five minutes, Jerome said.

The visitor's three roses are believed to honor Poe, his mother-in-law and his wife, all of whom are buried in the graveyard. The significance of the cognac is unknown.

People who stand vigil usually respect the visitor's desire for anonymity, which, along with the visitor's quick moves and the cover of darkness, have kept his secret well.

But this time, some spectators "created a nuisance," Jerome said. Some entered the locked cemetery; others confronted Jerome after the stranger had departed and demanded that he reveal his identity.

For decades, a frail figure made the visit to Poe's grave. But in 1993 the original visitor left a cryptic note saying, "The torch will be passed." A later note said the man, who apparently died in 1998, had passed the tradition on to his sons.

Poe, who wrote poems and horror stories such as "The Raven" and "The Telltale Heart," died Oct. 7, 1849 in Baltimore at the age of 40 after collapsing in a tavern.

Bethany Dinger, 32, first became fascinated with the writer while doing volunteer work at the Poe House in high school. Wednesday was her third time watching the ritual.

"It's always amazing - you know it's going to happen and then it's just wow, he's here," she said. "We're just so in the moment - there's no talking" while the visitor pays homage.

January 19th, 2005 10:20 AM
Joey
I have just taken my " morning shit " !

( tremendous applause + standing ovation + cheers from the audience )

" I THANK YOU "

Joey Carson !

[Edited by Joey]
January 19th, 2005 10:21 AM
nankerphelge Should we issue a tsunami warning?
January 19th, 2005 10:26 AM
Joey
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Should we issue a tsunami warning?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nanky ........................................

Saturday Evening for Dinner :

Sixteen Ounce Porterhouse Steak
" Loaded " Baked Potato(e)
Asparagus ( creamed -- Oh , OH !! )
Bowl of 'steaming white rice '
Strawberry Cheesecake for dessert

Sunday Morning ( approximately 10:00 AM CDT ):

**** PHEEEEEEEEWWW ******

" He had a Smelly Ass all day Ronnie ! "

Stinky ! ™
January 19th, 2005 11:09 AM
caro That's a cool story about Poe's grave. I suppose nowadays, the guy has no choice but to arrive at 1:00 AM if he wants to avoid being overhauled by imposters. Would be frustrating to go through all the hassle only to find the grave already covered with 18 roses, 7 tulips and 27 empty bottles of tequila...
January 19th, 2005 08:48 PM
BrotherM
Few years ago i was walkin thru the Baltimore Airport on route to Louisville with Bragi Ólafsson Icelandic poet/novelist supreme ( X bass player in SUGARCUBES ) i noticed all these posters with Edgar Allen Poe & i asked Bragi " Whats with all this Edgar Allen Poe promo in Baltimore?...the cats from virginia! " Bragi says " Edgar Died in Baltimore...do you want to die in Baltimore? " I said " Hell No...Lets Go to the Bar! "...we did
January 19th, 2005 10:46 PM
parmeda DAILY DRINK IMPROVES THINKING IN OLDER WOMEN - STUDY
Wed Jan 19, 2005 - Reuters

BOSTON (Reuters) - Women who enjoy a drink of beer or wine daily have sharper minds into old age than women who abstain, U.S. researchers reported on Wednesday.

The report, based on a study of nearly 12,500 nurses, adds to the apparent benefits of light to moderate drinking, which can also prevent heart disease and stroke.

"Our study suggests that moderate consumption might provide older women some cognitive benefits," said Dr. Francine Grodstein of Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston, who worked on the study.

Writing in the New England Journal of Medicine, Grodstein and colleagues said they found that drinkers aged 70 to 81 were 20 percent less likely to experience a decline in their thinking skills over a two-year period than women who did not drink at all.

On average, the women who quaffed a beer or a glass of wine each day tended to have the mental agility of someone a year and a half younger than abstainers.

Drinking more than one glass of beer or wine didn't produce a greater benefit, the researchers said. However, few of the nurses in the study were heavy drinkers.

And it didn't seem to matter whether the women drank wine or beer, according to the team, led by Dr. Meir Stampfer, also of Brigham and Women's Hospital.

Moderate alcohol consumption -- about a 12-ounce (0.35 liters) beer or a six-ounce (0.18 liters) glass of wine -- is already known to reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.

The Stampfer team speculated that the same effects that ward off cardiovascular conditions may also keep the blood vessels in the brain healthier, preventing small strokes that might impair thinking skills.

The researchers used the ongoing Nurses' Health Study, in which the women filled out questionnaires about drinking habits and took a telephone survey designed to assess thinking skills.

Whether alcohol produces long-term benefits is not known.

In an editorial in the Journal, Dr. Denis Evans and Dr. Julia Bienias of the Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, cautioned that the findings are not conclusive.

It may simply be, they said, "that older persons who are in good cognitive and physical health may be more likely than less healthy peers to indulge in low-to-moderate alcohol consumption as part of their social activities."

I tend to believe the last paragraph to be true.
Either way...you've all been warned.
I will be just as fiesty 30+ years from now
January 20th, 2005 08:43 AM
nankerphelge There's a bar in Scotland where everyone could soon know your name — and everything else about you.

Bar Soba (search), an ultra-hip Asian fusion bar and restaurant in Glasgow, is offering regulars a "digital wallet" — a microchip implanted in the upper arm that transmits unique personal information to a radio receiver on the premises.

The size of a grain of rice and implanted by a medical professional, the chip guarantees entrance to the bar on crowded nights and keeps track of your bar tab, as well as other relevant information.

"By the time you walk through the door to the bar, your favorite drink is waiting for you and the bar staff can greet you by name," Brad Stevens, owner of the venue, told The Observer of London.

The concept's already caught on with customers at two trendy joints in Barcelona, Spain, and Rotterdam, Netherlands.

"The main benefit is that you can go out without having to carry a wallet, which can get easily lost in a nightclub," said Steve van Soest, one of more than 100 people "chipped" by the Baja Beach Club (search) in Barcelona
January 20th, 2005 08:59 AM
Ten Thousand Motels That kind of sux though beacuse they could be able to tell what one's blood alcohol level is and shut you off. Then off course the cops will want the information.
January 20th, 2005 09:02 AM
nankerphelge Nah -- they already have that info.
That's why they are following you all the time!
January 20th, 2005 12:34 PM
J.J.Flash Nankster.... you have no idea how powerful is the hangover I'm strugglin today, no idea.......

My head hurts....it's killing me.....

I started feeling better after the lunch, but not 100% fine.

"Still half the week Ronnie"
January 20th, 2005 03:29 PM
Madafaka
January 20th, 2005 03:35 PM
nankerphelge JJF -- I am sorry to hear about the hangover -- never a good thing. Always be sure and eat something a few hours before drinking, drink two tall glasses of water before going to sleep, and take some Advil/ibuprofen. That will always help you avoid what you are going through today.

I would also suggest drinking water immediately upon waking to rehydrate and dilute anything evil left in the stomach.

The other alternative is not to drink in the first place!
That's no alternative really!
January 20th, 2005 03:47 PM
Joey

I am very worried about Egon !
January 20th, 2005 04:09 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Joey wrote:

I am very worried about Egon !

^
|
|
|
|
|
|
|----------see Baby Steel!!
January 20th, 2005 04:21 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
The other alternative is not to drink in the first place!
That's no alternative really!

Most certainly not! Quitting drinking is NOT an option. Hell even the f*^king doctors scare tactics haven't stopped me yet. Slowed down, YES, well a little. I guess we're all on the "drink till ya drop" program.
January 20th, 2005 04:22 PM
Joey
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Most certainly not! Quitting drinking is NOT an option. Hell even the f*^king doctors scare tactics haven't stopped me yet. Slowed down, YES, well a little. I guess we're all on the "drink till ya drop" program.

January 20th, 2005 04:43 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Joey wrote:

Oh yes we WILL celebrate after the PATS win back to back Superbowls. Have to buy some champaine I guess. Join us, Joey, celebrate the Genius of Belichick.
January 20th, 2005 04:47 PM
Joey
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Oh yes we WILL celebrate after the PATS win back to back Superbowls. Have to buy some champaine I guess. Join us, Joey, celebrate the Genius of Belichick.

January 21st, 2005 08:25 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Drinking alert: I will probably be posting dead drunk tomorrow night / sunday morning

Sorry in advance
January 21st, 2005 11:12 PM
Bloozehound I missed it voodoo~~~>

when's the redoo<~~~~

but in the spirit, tonight I switched it up and made some paella w/ clams and after dinner we sipp'd limes & a phat bottle of Lapis agave tequilas ~~~~>

whoooooo hoooooooooooo~~~!!!

January 22nd, 2005 04:02 AM
sirmoonie Colleagues:

Let me recount my drinking experiences as a man alone in a Chicago hotel room last week. I think it may hasten your celestial glory.

It was a weekday eve and like any good Christian man, I immediately eschewed doing anything remotely interesting, lest I'd have to admit later that it had been my dream come true. Instead, I lay back on that hotel bed, grabbed a book out of the side drawer, and began reading from my favorite place.

It seemed I had been reading that Gideon's Bible for fucking hours, but the lying ass clock by the bed suggested an order of magnitiude less. Fearing that I was near coma, I looked heavenward. In moments, I had been seized by prayer and knew EXACTLY what to do!

"Jesus fucking Christ, god! Even if I assume all this stuff is true, I'm telling you jack straight piss up that this stuff is fucking boring. Catering to retards is one thing, but to sell yourself out on this half-ass, disjointed gibberish is just fucking pathetic. Especially for a god of your stature.......anyway, just my 0.02.......say, do you mind if I slug some of your blessed bountifullest from that minibar?"

God was silent as to my request, as he usually is. Like any good Christian man, I knew his reticence was tacit approval of what I had already planned to do.

Providential Lesson: God always gives you what you want, despite what the Rolling Stones say.
January 22nd, 2005 04:24 AM
gypsy
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Colleagues:

Let me recount my drinking experiences as a man alone in a Chicago hotel room last week. I think it may hasten your celestial glory.

It was a weekday eve and like any good Christian man, I immediately eschewed doing anything remotely interesting, lest I'd have to admit later that it had been my dream come true. Instead, I lay back on that hotel bed, grabbed a book out of the side drawer, and began reading from my favorite place.

It seemed I had been reading that Gideon's Bible for fucking hours, but the lying ass clock by the bed suggested an order of magnitiude less. Fearing that I was near coma, I looked heavenward. In moments, I had been seized by prayer and knew EXACTLY what to do!

"Jesus fucking Christ, god! Even if I assume all this stuff is true, I'm telling you jack straight piss up that this stuff is fucking boring. Catering to retards is one thing, but to sell yourself out on this half-ass, disjointed gibberish is just fucking pathetic. Especially for a god of your stature.......anyway, just my 0.02.......say, do you mind if I slug some of your blessed bountifullest from that minibar?"

God was silent as to my request, as he usually is. Like any good Christian man, I knew his reticence was tacit approval of what I had already planned to do.

Providential Lesson: God always gives you what you want, despite what the Rolling Stones say.

Now THAT, my friends, is posting at it's finest!
Sirmoonie, thanks for always making me laugh with your posts.
January 22nd, 2005 07:12 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Colleagues:

This is good posting people......

That's the reason this man must be among my TOP 5......

Thank you General Moonie!

>>God was silent as to my request, as he usually is. Like any good Christian man, I knew his reticence was tacit approval of what I had already planned to do.<<

January 22nd, 2005 07:18 AM
J.J.Flash Moonie...sir....I thought you would fall in love with this:

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.c...nking_alone.htm

Check it out!
January 22nd, 2005 10:20 AM
egon joe!

don't worry, i am fine.
i'm just not drinking this month AND i quit smoking.

I'm also planning to blow my brains out around the 28th.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)