ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Brian
© Retna with special thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Oh what the hell... Drinking thread pt 9. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
December 30th, 2004 04:35 AM
egon where did u get that picture of me starbuck....?
December 30th, 2004 09:34 AM
nankerphelge That weightlifter is looking mighty sore!
Are ankles supposed to bend like that?
December 30th, 2004 10:24 AM
egon ok, i will volunteer;

i'll clean this thread up a bit, put some chairs in it, rig up the stereo, so it will be ready for 2morrow evening.

Shall we say round 9 pm?
December 30th, 2004 01:50 PM
Starbuck shit egon, i'll already be passed out with soaked britches by 9 pm.

anyhoo, here's a shot of my house, predecorated for the annual new years party:

[Edited by Starbuck]
December 31st, 2004 12:45 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Beating the hangover blues

The best way to counter drinking's effects depends on whom you ask.

By Shari Rudavsky
December 30, 2004

Yeah, yeah, yeah. We all know the best way to avoid a hangover: Don't drink in the first place.

But often that solution only occurs to you the morning after. After one too many drinks, after that oh-so-embarrassing comment, and yes, during that pounding headache and churning stomach.

So, what to do once you've overindulged?

Traditional remedies abound, from reaching for Tylenol to chugging coffee to guzzling water. And some new products on the market promise to prevent hangovers, with one hitch -- you must take them as you drink.

From the trenches, aka the bars and nightclubs, come these suggestions: Drink anything, as long as it isn't alcoholic. Drink milk. Drink Gatorade. Drink soda. Drink orange juice.

"Just try to get something down," advises Simon Robinson, a managing partner at Nicky Blaine's, the Downtown restaurant known for its martinis. And if that doesn't work, Robinson offers another tip: Place an icepack on your head.

At Binkley's Kitchen and Bar, 5902 N. College Ave., which promises "sympathetic bartenders" on its marquee, Samantha Simpson, one such bartender, recommends bitters and soda. Or for the more intrepid: a raw egg and tomato juice, salt and pepper, and a piece of celery.

Vince Da Puzzo, beverage director with Vizion Restaurant/Vapour Lounge in Castleton, has a carefully scripted approach developed over years of practice: A bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich with a handful of potato chips and a huge Pepsi.

"Eat the sandwich right when you get up. And in a perfect world, your mom makes it," he says. "This works. I swear."

All these food-based remedies may well work, says Leonard Harris, executive director of the Greater Indianapolis Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence. Drinking depletes the body of needed nutrients and minerals, so eating a well-balanced breakfast and consuming vitamin-rich food can help restore the body's natural balance.

"It's our body's way of telling you, 'You've been overworking me,' " says Harris, who recommends a time-release multivitamin to replenish those lost nutrients and ease the hangover. "It's the same reason you find a crowd pouring out of the bars into a waffle house."

That's precisely the theory behind the Barton's Cafe's annual Hangover Breakfast. For the fifth year in a row, the Northeastside eatery will open on New Year's Day from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., serving specials like eggs benedict, eggs florentine, and the "hungry hoosier," a small sample of everything on the menu.

"You always need a good breakfast after you drink," said cafe owner Dana Fitzgerald. "We serve all the remedies to make you feel better from your hangover."

For people unwilling to try a food remedy, the Beyond Light Medi-Spa in Greenwood provides oxygen treatments that some clients rely on to shake the aftereffects of alcohol.

A few sniffs of filtered oxygen, and the hangover headache is gone, says Barbara Parrish, a nurse at the Medi-Spa.

Although the oxygen bar, which also treats people with migraines, is normally open only from Tuesday to Saturday, staff there tries to meet the needs of clients who call and say, "I'm going out partying -- can you open Sunday morning?" Parrish says.

Is it worth $5?

Usually it takes about 10 minutes of oxygen, at 50 cents a minute, to relieve the headache.

All these may sound very good, but experts scoff at the notion that any of these works particularly well.

"If we truly had something for hangover relief, everyone would know about it and everyone would be using it," says Anne Reese, director of health and wellness education at the Indiana University Health Center in Bloomington. "What's going to work is time and more time and eventually it will be over."

Nobody's sure exactly what causes a hangover, but Dr. Jeffrey Wiese, an associate professor of medicine at Tulane who has studied the subject for the past decade, says that three major components contribute.

First, alcohol dehydrates the drinker -- so any of those remedies that aim towards rehydration helps. Eating salty food like chicken soup might also help because the salt will cause your body to retain water, Wiese says.

Second, excessive drinking disrupts your sleep, Wiese says. As the alcohol's sedating effects wears off, your brain rebounds in activity. This process won't wake most people up, but it will prevent their brains from entering restful sleep.

"Even though you may be in bed nine hours, you will wake up feeling groggy and tired," Wiese says. "That's a function of only having the equivalent of one to three hours of deep sleep."

The third factor that likely produces that hangover sensation is inflammation of the entire body. How the alcohol achieves that is the million-dollar question, Wiese says.

Likely culprits are substances known as congeners, impurities in the alcohol that are a byproduct of the fermentation process. While these congeners, found in greater quantities in darker liquors, such as bourbon or tequila and called tannins in wines, give the drink its taste, they may also increase the chance of a worse hangover, Wiese says.

A head start

Two relatively new products on the market aim to prevent hangovers before they even begin. Although no independent scientific studies validate the claims of the companies that make them, both Chaser and RU-21 have attracted fans who swear by them.

Chaser -- caplets that you swallow with your first drink -- strives to absorb and thereby disarm those congeners before they do their damage.

Made of calcium and charcoal, Chaser caplets trap the congeners in the digestive tract before they make their way into the bloodstream, where they can do the most damage, promises Living Essentials, the Walled Lake, Mich.-based company that developed Chaser.

One company-sponsored study found that Chaser helped prevent 17 common symptoms of hangovers, including nausea, vomiting and headache.

But Chaser won't turn a designated drinker into a designated driver. The caplets will not completely prevent the alcohol from entering the bloodstream, says Carl Sperber, a company spokesman, so intoxication can still occur.

While RU-21, another pill that you take while you're drinking, also does not promise to prevent intoxication altogether, it can alleviate the effects of too much alcohol, says Emil Chiaberi, CEO of Spirit Sciences, the Beverly Hills, Calif., company behind RU-21.

Hangovers do not just result from congeners, the company says, but also from a buildup of acetaldehyde, a toxic compound created when the body breaks down alcohol. RU-21 slows the metabolic process so there's less acetaldehyde in the first place, and it speeds up the compound's decomposition, the company says.

Like Chaser, however, it works only if taken while drinking.

"That's why we recommend not drinking too much, so you can remember to take it," Chiaberi says.

The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, a nonprofit organization based in New York, sees little to no value in these and other remedies to alleviate hangovers.

None of them addresses the darker sides of excessive drinking like impaired driving or increased violence.

"It may be nice to be able to mitigate the uncomfortable consequences of drinking," says Ames Sweet, the Council's communications director, "but I think it gives people a false sense of security."

Other damaging factors

Nor do any of these remove the physical damage that repeated hangovers can do.

Research shows that people who experience more than one hangover a month have a two- to threefold increased risk of heart attack, even if they have no prior heart disease, Wiese says.

And even those who offer remedies recognize we're probably fooling ourselves if we think they work.

"You feel like you're doing something for it, but there is no cure for a hangover," says Nicky Blaine's Robinson. "If there was, people probably would have invented it by now."
December 31st, 2004 12:52 AM
Poplar Got hammered last night... big crowd back at the apartment... bothered the neighbor. I feel bad, and i'm not talking about the hangover.

[Edited by Poplar]
December 31st, 2004 01:56 AM
gypsymofo60 Just make mine a large JD, off the rocks,(no pun intended),and Black&Blue, Pais Printemps,and a pair of shapely'silken thighs. Happy New Year!
December 31st, 2004 03:20 AM
LadyJane Caution..late night drunken post...Nah,,not that bad...just watching the Stones on launch.com with AC/DC doing "Rock me Baby" at the SARS show. I'm so glad I trekked to TO for this historic concert. Very good memories...what a show...the Angus Bros with the Glimmer Twins......redemption for the Timberlake episode? Who am I to judge. I had fun. Real fun. Isn't that all that really matters??? Raising my glass to the hard workin' people.

LJ.
December 31st, 2004 10:02 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Poplar wrote:
Got hammered last night... .

Don't stop now.
January 1st, 2005 09:45 AM
egon got the flew about an hour after midnight, but kept on drinking (always keep on drinking).

feel like absolute shit today.
but i guess the year can only get better from here on on...
January 1st, 2005 10:09 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl SALUD!!

CHEERS!!

SKÄL!!

ETC!!

A tost to you all for a new great fucking year with the best album and the best tour!!

BTW, it's great to start the year with nothing in my blood but blood, I mean cleaner than clean
January 1st, 2005 11:39 AM
luxury1 Really Voodoo? If so, me too. Decided to stay sober--I am actually sick of drinking and eating. (just give me till Feb...)
January 1st, 2005 03:34 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Magazine Toasts Unabashed Alcoholism

Sat Jan 1, Los Angeles Times
By David Kelly Times Staff Writer

DENVER — Every hour is happy hour at Modern Drunkard magazine.
It's barely 3 p.m., and Frank Kelly Rich, who edits the bimonthly homage to getting soused, is draining his gin and tonic and eyeing a whiskey bottle on the top shelf. Moments later, he's drinking that as well.

A huge bar dominates the office, the fridge is stocked with beer and the handful of employees is invited to drink. Smoking is OK too.

As the booze flows, Rich, 41, extols the virtues of alcohol, calling it a boon to mankind while claiming that drunks are an "oppressed minority."

Nothing can knock him off message.

What about cirrhosis of the liver? "There's a tidal wave of new evidence that drinking is actually good for you," he insists.

What of alcohol's effect on families? "I think drinking is conducive to a happy family life," he counters.

Rich lights a cigarette and smiles as the ice melts in his cocktail. His downtown Denver office is decorated with posters of Dean Martin, Jackie Gleason and other famous tipplers of yesteryear.

"The most accomplished people have been drinkers. Hemingway was a great literary drunk, and I think a lot of teetotalers would trade their lives for his in a second," he said. "Alcohol is the great socializer. Can you imagine a world without it? Well, I guess you can — it's called the Middle East."

Modern Drunkard is an irreverent, 50,000-circulation glossy magazine full of pinup girls and macho men alongside articles on drinking, getting drunk and hiding a hangover from "the Man," i.e., the boss. It also includes serious examinations of liquor, biographies of history's great drunks and selected odes to the drinking life. The magazine sells for $4.50 in bookstores across the U.S. and Europe, and free copies are available in many bars.

A recent issue included the feature "You know you're a drunkard when … (you fall down a well and send Lassie to the liquor store)"; a dictionary of bar slang: "pal tax n. — the act of covertly ordering a drink on a friend's tab"; and a story titled "Booze is My Copilot," on how drinking cured one man's fear of flying.

Rich revels in the retrograde excess of his magazine. The way he sees it, reality is so awful, why not get drunk?

"People always say, 'If you drink, your problems will still be there in the morning,' " he said. "That's like telling a guy going to the Bahamas that in a week, he'll be right back where he started. Well, for a week, he'll be gone."

Those in the business of battling alcohol abuse find such sentiments appalling.

"Drinking at the level they promote and saying it's good for you is baloney," said Sam Zakhari of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism in Bethesda, Md. "Some people benefit from moderate drinking — one drink a day for a woman, two for a man — but you can achieve the same result through good nutrition and exercise."

Rich shrugs off the naysayers and routinely savages groups like Mothers Against Drunk Driving, whom he sees as neo-prohibitionist killjoys secretly bent on banning alcohol.

"We don't advocate drinking and driving; that's a dumb thing to do," he said. "But they have gone too far."

MADD National President Wendy Hamilton says her group is anti-drunk driving, not anti-alcohol. She calls Modern Drunkard "just plain stupid."

"We don't preach abstinence from alcohol unless you are under 21," said Hamilton, whose sister and nephew were killed by a drunk driver. "If our role in life is to make a better world, then I cannot figure out how this magazine makes the world a better place to live."

Raised in Las Vegas, where his dad drove a cab, Rich says he started drinking while in the Army. After being discharged, he headed to Europe — seeking a romantic life of writing and drinking. He spent four years in pub-friendly London. "If you want to learn about a new culture," he advised, "don't go to museums, go to the bars."

Rich returned to the United States and wrote "Jake Strait Bogeyman." He lived out of his Pinto in Los Angeles, trying to sell the futuristic action novel.

"When you're homeless under foreign skies, you feel like Hemingway; when you're homeless in your own country, you feel like a loser," he said.

The book spawned a four-part series and eventually earned him $150,000. He took the money and drove around the country before ending up in Denver eight years ago.

"I immediately recognized it as a great drinking town," he said.

In fact, Men's Health magazine this year listed the city as the most "intoxicated" in the country — based on numbers of alcohol-related accidents and deaths due to alcoholism. Denver Mayor John W. Hickenlooper owns seven bars, and Republican Pete Coors, whose beer factory sprawls just outside the city, made an unsuccessful run for the Senate in November.

Rich wanted to start a magazine, and he wanted it to be about the subject he knew best.

"The magazine was going to be about drinking and only about drinking — and not just drinking, but heavy drinking," he said, pouring another whiskey. "I was going to distill every bit of alcoholic knowledge in the world and put it in one magazine."

He published his first edition in 1996 for about $500, inserting fake ads from beer companies to make it look professional. He paid alcoholics living on the streets $20 for boozing advice.

With the magazine now making money thanks to copious bar and club ads, he's hired five staffers and 20 part-time contributors. Rich is also writing "The Modern Drunkard Manifesto" coming out in November, published by Riverhead Books. A Modern Drunkard convention is planned for Denver in May.

His wife Christa, 27, is a bartender who helps edit the magazine. They have no children.

"When you find your calling, you have to go with it," she said of her husband's career. "I get e-mails all the time from people in Alcoholics Anonymous who say they want a subscription because it lets them remember what life was like when they drank."

Rich freely admits he's an alcoholic and frequently blacks out. Regular exercise and vitamins, he said, keep him fit.

"I drink about eight drinks a day and maybe 30 on a heavy day," he said cheerfully. "But as long as I remain healthy and happy, I have no intention of slowing down. I mean, when you have something good going, you stick with it, right?"

January 2nd, 2005 12:04 AM
Bloozehound testin testin

one two one two

on the mike

get down

we outta here Z
January 2nd, 2005 09:06 AM
egon someone please shoot me...
January 2nd, 2005 12:44 PM
LadyJane
quote:
egon wrote:
someone please shoot me...

I know what you mean, egon. Fortunately today I awoke feeling good. Why??? I gave my poor head a break last night. I need to dry out for a day or two.

After all...we've been celebrating New Year's for a week thanks to YOU!!!

LJ.
January 2nd, 2005 01:25 PM
Angiegirl Egon, did you know one of the first things one sees when leaving Antwerpen's train station is a bar called 'De Heineken Hoek'? I visited the city with x-mas and immediately thought of you when I saw that. Howe strange...
January 2nd, 2005 07:58 PM
Bloozehound Dear Drinky,

When one posts in the drinking thread is it required that they be in the act of drinking adult beverages?

If so, is it ok if they just come here to report on the previous nights engagement with "the sauce" and/or what if they are just about to engage in a rendevous with said spirits?

Does it matter?

confused,

bloozehound
January 3rd, 2005 12:56 PM
LadyJane Back to work tomorrow Last night was my last hurrah!!!

Needless to say, I'm a little woozy.

LJ.
January 6th, 2005 07:03 AM
LadyJane Did the entire RO Drinking Thread brigade go into Rehab and someone forgot to tell me?

I guess we are all recovering from our holiday partying!!!

LJ.
January 6th, 2005 11:34 AM
sirmoonie Keith Moon!
January 7th, 2005 04:24 PM
caro One of my best friends just got a baby boy, and he kicks ass! His second name is Archimedes. Ha! She used to be an absolutely sweet girl, and now she's even sweeter. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that he's been there for less than 24 hours, and she's all happy and soft and calm as if she'd had babies sleeping on her belly all her life.
And tonight I'm gonna drink cause I want one too.
January 7th, 2005 04:28 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
caro wrote:
One of my best friends just got a baby boy, and he kicks ass! His second name is Archimedes. Ha! She used to be an absolutely sweet girl, and now she's even sweeter. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that he's been there for less than 24 hours, and she's all happy and soft and calm as if she'd had babies sleeping on her belly all her life.
And tonight I'm gonna drink cause I want one too.

Well....congrats to her! Toast the little guy once for me. (or I'll do it myself LOL)
January 7th, 2005 04:52 PM
sirmoonie Anyone get ripped on that new Secular beer yet? Its awesome! Hangovers are remorse free, just like advertised!
January 7th, 2005 08:59 PM
Bloozehound Here's the first of the evening, fellas! To old D.H. Lawrence.

Neh! Neh! Neh! Fuh! Fuh! Fuh! Indians!!
January 7th, 2005 11:06 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Here's the first of the evening, fellas! To old D.H. Lawrence.

Neh! Neh! Neh! Fuh! Fuh! Fuh! Indians!!

Hey Blooze (or anyone), I haven't bought music on line in a few years. What is best place in terms of $$$ and selection? CDNOW looks like they went belly up. Is it Amazon? Alldirect? Anywhere else?

I got a bonus check to spend. Or a bit of one. 95% of it went to those tsunamists.

Mucho gracias in advanceo.
January 7th, 2005 11:49 PM
Maxlugar Ooooo OOoooo (like horshack)

Go to WWW.Maxlugar.com

And a douche bag you will be no longer!

I promise!

MACKITY MACK MACK!

January 8th, 2005 12:00 AM
telecaster
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Ooooo OOoooo (like horshack)

Go to WWW.Maxlugar.com

I promise!

MACKITY MACK MACK!

Like dude, is there a cover charge?

Can I bring a friend?

Are there hot chicks there?

Is there like, a free keg?

"I invented the Internet so websites such as www.Maxlugar.com could exist" Al Gore - 1988

"The one positive thing out of this sickening experience with a Stones fan was www.Maxlugar.com" -Cafe Hostess Jill

"I like the place" - Ted Kennedy

January 8th, 2005 12:10 AM
Madafaka Beeeeeeeeeer and beer and beer!
January 8th, 2005 12:18 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Ooooo OOoooo (like horshack)

Go to WWW.Maxlugar.com

I promise!

MACKITY MACK MACK!

I thought you said I was banned over there?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)