ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Brian
© Retna with special thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Oh what the hell... Drinking thread pt 9. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
May 22nd, 2005 10:07 AM
Madafaka Hangover today, too much Absolut last night.

In a couple of hours, Boca and River will play the best football (soccer) match to see in the world (according to 'The Sun'). I'm going to the stadium right now and, if River wins the match, I'll got hangover tomorrow too!
May 23rd, 2005 02:25 AM
Bloozehound about to get hitched, fiance had the shower saturday so we gots all kinds of new neato mesquito eatin & drinkin toys in the hizzy

whoooohooo~~~

"The Chef" came over and showed me how to use this wicked new pasta roller, took about 2 bottles of a great local merlot to get the technique down, fresh angle hair pasta with veal parmesan came out superb

we then retired to the backporch for a lil bit of reefage, some serious makers mark mint julip action and fabulous romeo y julietas annversario stogies I scored

lifes good

cue joe walsh

ba baba ba ba~
May 23rd, 2005 03:25 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
Hangover today, too much Absolut last night.

In a couple of hours, Boca and River will play the best football (soccer) match to see in the world (according to 'The Sun'). I'm going to the stadium right now and, if River wins the match, I'll got hangover tomorrow too!

wouhh!! I d like to see this match as a great soccer fan!!
must be great, you lucky cabron, enjoy the game and have a drink for me!!

ps: whisky coke on saturday night...after 2 weeks without alcohol it was great to be drunk!!!!
May 23rd, 2005 08:52 AM
Madafaka
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
wouhh!! I d like to see this match as a great soccer fan!!
must be great, you lucky cabron, enjoy the game and have a drink for me!!

Boca won the match (2-1) but I've drunk anyway!
May 23rd, 2005 12:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels British Drinkers Face Un-Happy Hour
By MICHAEL McDONOUGH,

Associated Press Writer
23 minutes ago

LONDON - Beer-swilling Britons face a sobering prospect: an un-happy hour. A group representing about half the country's pubs and bars said Monday it is ditching Happy Hour offers and other deals that encourage irresponsible drinking, a British pastime that has come under increasing attack from the government.

Publicans can continue to host and advertise Happy Hours, as long as they don't spur people to drink too much, too quickly. Offers that invite customers to drink for free after paying a cover charge, for example, are to be nixed. Half-price drinks will still be allowed, but only if it's done responsibly with say, offers of food too.

"We're not banning promotions, we're just banning irresponsible promotions," said Christine Milburn, with the British Beer and Pub Association, which issued the new guidelines on behalf of some 70 companies that own about half of Britain's 60,000 pubs.

The move follows recent government attempts to curb excessive drinking, which it blames for much of the crime and violence in Britain's city centers. Officials have also urged the alcohol industry to play a bigger part in tackling the problem.

But the new Happy Hour rules left some drinkers, well — unhappy.

"They're taking away our freedom," said Sid Smith, 34, from London.

Some pub owners applauded the move, saying happy hours tend to draw the riff-raff.

"You get a certain type of clientele looking for a cheap drink," Judd Joyce, 39, manager of The City Retreat. "We're better than that."

In January, Prime Minister Tony Blair's government offered police new powers to ban drunks from pubs and close down problem premises. Under the proposals, bar staff caught selling alcohol to people already drunk would be fined. Police would be allowed to close pubs selling alcohol to minors aged under 18.

Many blame Britain's culture of binge drinking on the rigid 11 p.m. closing time, which prompts many to guzzle alcohol in bursts of a few hours.

Under new laws that come into effect in November, pubs and bars will be allowed to open any hours they like. The government hopes that will encourage a more responsible and relaxed attitude to drinking, and remove the 11 p.m. flashpoint when drunks surge into the street.

May 26th, 2005 01:16 AM
Child of the Moon Feeling sick the last couple of days, some sort of nasty cold, so I'm debating whether or not I'll indulge in alcoholic delights tonight. Whiskey sounds good, but I unfortunately don't have any, and the stores are well-past closed. We'll see how I feel in an hour (if I'm not asleep already which, despite the endless sneezing and sniffling, is starting to sound like a good idea).
June 1st, 2005 05:39 AM
LadyJane The Drinking Thread almost in the archives.

Oh howe ironic.

The end is near in so many ways.

LJ.
June 1st, 2005 06:45 AM
parmeda Sadly...or shall I say, REMARKABLY...there are a few of you that could put this guy to shame! ....rotflmao

...and I have the utmost faith in you that it could have been accomplished in a month!

YEARLONG PUB CRAWL KEEPS RETIRED NEW YORK MAN HOPPING

Chicago SunTimes
June 1, 2005

NEW YORK -- A bit of barroom philosophy, courtesy of Dan Freeman: The longest journey begins with but a single sip. Freeman should know. The Brooklynite set out Jan. 1 to visit 1,000 bars in a single year.

Barely five months and 499 bars later, he's halfway to completing his boozy impossible dream. Why 1,000 bars, you ask? Why not?

"There wasn't any grand scheme," says Freeman, a draft beer in hand at bar No. 500, The Gate in Brooklyn. "I just wanted to see how many bars you could hit in a year, and 1,000 seemed reasonable."

The retired computer consultant launched a simultaneous blog about his pursuit. He aims to visit four or five bars a day, although that number varies, having one drink per bar.

"Some days it's like work," he said. "You look up and it's, 'Ah, 1 p.m., I'd better go hit my five bars.' It's really more fun than anything, going around and talking to people."

On the Web:

http://thousandbars.blogspot.com

AP
June 6th, 2005 12:18 PM
Ten Thousand Motels BUMP.

Egon!!!! You're slipping. WTF???
June 7th, 2005 04:44 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Supreme Court allows prosecution of medical marijuana
By Bill Mears
CNN Washington Bureau
Monday, June 6, 2005

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. Supreme Court Monday ruled doctors can be blocked from prescribing marijuana for patients suffering from pain caused by cancer or other serious illnesses.

In a 6-3 vote, the justices ruled the Bush administration can block the backyard cultivation of pot for personal use, because such use has broader social and financial implications.

"Congress' power to regulate purely activities that are part of an economic 'class of activities' that have a substantial effect on interstate commerce is firmly established," wrote Justice John Paul Stevens for the majority.

Justices O'Connor, Rehnquist and Thomas dissented. The case took an unusually long time to be resolved, with oral arguments held in November.

The decision means that federal anti-drug laws trump state laws that allow the use of medical marijuana, said CNN Senior Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin. Ten states have such laws.

"If medical marijuana advocates want to get their views successfully presented, they have to go to Congress; they can't go to the states, because it's really the federal government that's in charge here," Toobin said.

At issue was the power of federal government to override state laws on use of "patient pot."

The Controlled Substances Act prevents the cultivation and possession of marijuana, even by people who claim personal "medicinal" use. The government argues its overall anti-drug campaign would be undermined by even limited patient exceptions.

The Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) began raids in 2001 against patients using the drug and their caregivers in California, one of 11 states that legalized the use of marijuana for patients under a doctor's care. Among those arrested was Angel Raich, who has brain cancer, and Diane Monson, who grew cannabis in her garden to help alleviate chronic back pain.

A federal appeals court concluded use of medical marijuana was non-commercial, and therefore not subject to congressional oversight of "economic enterprise."

But lawyers for the U.S. Justice Department argued to the Supreme Court that homegrown marijuana represented interstate commerce, because the garden patch weed would affect "overall production" of the weed, much of it imported across American borders by well-financed, often violent drug gangs.

Lawyers for the patient countered with the claim that the marijuana was neither bought nor sold. After California's referendum passed in 1996, "cannabis clubs" sprung up across the state to provide marijuana to patients. They were eventually shut down by the state's attorney general.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2001 that anyone distributing medical marijuana could be prosecuted, despite claims their activity was a "medical activity."

The current case considered by the justices dealt with the broader issue of whether marijuana users could be subject to prosecution.

Along with California, nine states have passed laws permitting marijuana use by patients with a doctor's approval: Alaska, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont and Washington. Arizona also has a similar law, but no formal program in place to administer prescription pot.

California's Compassionate Use Act permits patients with a doctor's approval to grow, smoke or acquire the drug for "medical needs."

Users include television host Montel Williams, who uses it to ease pain from multiple sclerosis.

Anti-drug activists say Monday's ruling could encourage abuse of drugs deemed by the government to be narcotics.

"It's a handful of people who want to see not just marijuana, but all drugs legalized," said Calvina Fay of the Drug Free America Foundation.

In its hard-line stance in opposition to medical marijuana, the federal government invoked a larger issue. "The trafficking of drugs finances the work of terror, sustaining terrorists," said President Bush in December 2001. Tough enforcement, the government told the justices, "is central to combating illegal drug possession."

Marijuana users, in their defense, argued, "Since September 11, 2001, Defendants [DEA] have terrorized more than 35 Californians because of medical cannabis." In that state, the issue has become a hot political issue this election year.

The case is Gonzales v. Raich, case no. 03-1454.

June 7th, 2005 06:41 AM
LadyJane Where have all the lushies gone???

Egon??
Nanky??
Bloozy??
Moonie??

Guess I'm drinkin alone these days!!

LJ.
June 7th, 2005 04:20 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
Australia wants to ban a British entrepreneur from naming a beer Shag.

Brewed in Holland as Alpha beer, it's sold internationally by Terry Ball's Rebell Holdings company as Shag.

Advertisements feature a bottle of the beer on the backseat of a car and the catchphrase: "Fancy a Shag?"

Mr Ball insists the beer is named after the bird of the same name but New South Wales government minister Grant McBride is not convinced.

He said: "To name the product Shag links it directly with sexual intercourse - and that's not on.

"It is irresponsible to link alcohol and sex so blatantly. I'm outraged by this product."

Mr McBride, an avowed teetotaller and father-of-eight, has banned three other alcoholic drinks since becoming the Gaming and Racing Minister in 2003, including Moo Joose, a chocolate milkshake with vodka.

He said: "We don't want to stop people having a good time, but this product seeks to maximise risk-taking behaviour through a series of tacky, sex-themed ads."

A spokesperson from the Australian distributor for Dutch brewery, Alpha, was surprised to learn the beer's name had caused a stir.

"It's named after a shag, the bird, which features on the label," she said downplaying the controversy as nothing more than "a storm in a glass of beer".

June 9th, 2005 12:54 AM
Madafaka Yeeeees! I'm drinking a lot of beer, because Argentinian team is into the World Cup!
Argentina 3 - Brazil 1

[Edited by Madafaka]
June 10th, 2005 07:55 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
Argentina 3 - Brazil 1

Fluke. Now I'll admit that I don't know too much about SOuth American soccer/football but I do know that Brazilians are Football Gods and the rest are wannbes.
June 10th, 2005 03:21 PM
Stikkyfinger I'm not drunk - but my avatar is!

Regards,

Ian.
http://www.stikkyfingers.co.uk

Download YCAGWYW here
http://www.iangillon.karoo.net/YCAGWYW.mp3
June 11th, 2005 01:24 AM
sirmoonie Rough night guys. Trying to get my fill and all these chicks of mine keep talking and yalking as is their wont. Howe is a man suppose get his drinkin' in? I axe you.

But I is free and clear of that now. Its mongo time!

"Come on up and hit me with the chain stuff, Ronnie!"
June 11th, 2005 02:31 PM
egon hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo my babies!!!!!!

I is back.

my grandfather unexpectedly passed away (well, he was 100...) so i had to go back to the motherland.
after that i had a little week holiday in italy, and i just got back.

So... i was away for 2.5 weeks in total; can someone give me a quick update? did i miss anything at all?

i've heard that great things are going to happen on the board next week. still very p&c though, and it might be nothing more than a rumour.... i for one, am very excited

[Edited by egon]
June 11th, 2005 02:47 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Fluke. Now I'll admit that I don't know too much about SOuth American soccer/football but I do know that Brazilians are Football Gods and the rest are wannbes.

Now I know that you REALLY don't know too much about South American soccer
June 14th, 2005 02:08 AM
Child of the Moon Just made myself a Toolkit... y'know, the screwdriver, the hammer, the whole toolkit. Not sure of Keith's exact recipe, so I just made a screwdriver and added some rum and various other ingredients to warm me up a bit.
June 15th, 2005 02:53 AM
beer
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
about to get hitched, fiance had the shower saturday so we gots all kinds of new neato mesquito eatin & drinkin toys in the hizzy

Congratulations Bloozey!

-
June 15th, 2005 09:34 AM
Ten Thousand Motels It's Official: Drunks Have Small Minds

By LEE BOWMAN
Jun 15, 2005, 00:07

New research is beginning to explain how the brains of alcoholics become smaller and lighter compared to those of non-drinkers, and what functions may be lost due to chronic drinking.

Scientists believe a number of factors - including alcohol's toxic byproducts, malnutrition, even cirrhosis of the liver - interact in complex ways to cause brain damage.

A compilation of studies on alcohol-related brain shrinkage presented by researchers at a symposium in Germany last fall is being published Wednesday in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research.

The researchers used human and animal studies to map the damage.

Alcohol appears to be particularly damaging to the "white matter" or "hard wiring" _ fat-insulated nerve fibers that allow brain cells to rapidly communicate with other parts of the brain _ according to Dr. Clive Harper, a professor of neuropathology at the University of Sydney in Australia and organizer of the symposium.

Alcoholics can also have shrinkage or retraction of dendrites. These shorter connective fibers allow each nerve cell to "talk" with as many as 10,000 neighboring neurons at a time.

"The most important permanent structural change is nerve-cell loss," Harper said. "Some nerve cells cannot be replaced _ those in the frontal cortex, the cerebellum and several regions deep in the brain."

A separate study on mice, published in the same journal but not one of the symposium reports, showed that continuous drinking for as little as eight weeks can produce deficits in learning and memory that continue for up to 12 weeks after drinking stops.

"The learning and memory deficits we found in our mice ... affect all types of learning and memory," said Susan Farr, an associate professor of medicine at St. Louis University and an author of the study. "We found deficits in every type of task we tested the mice in."

Previous studies had suggested that mice had to drink steadily for six months or more to experience permanent deficits.

"Drinking doesn't just produce a hangover," said D. Allan Butterfield, a professor of biological and physical chemistry at the University of Kentucky. "Chronic drinking may lead to permanent cognitive deficits," he added, noting that the findings should be of particular concern to college students who engage in binge drinking.

Farr said it's difficult to make precise comparisons between the alcohol dosing of 8-week-old mice and humans.

"This would be equivalent to a human that drank six to eight beers or a bottle of wine every day for six years, and could experience learning and memory deficits for up to nine years after they stopped drinking," she said.

But Harper said many studies show that some brain functions improve with abstinence over time.

"Although working memory, postural stability and visual-spatial ability may continue to show impairment for weeks to months with sobriety, with prolonged sobriety, these brain functions can show improvement."

Harper also noted that, in animal experiments, dendrites that shrink with chronic alcohol use "have been shown to grow and spread again after periods of abstinence _ weeks to months _ and have been accompanied by improved brain function."

Although it is widely accepted that a predisposition to alcoholism has a genetic component, researchers are still trying to assess how much the physical damage from alcohol further affects the wiring of addiction.

For instance, one study based on autopsies found that genes controlling the manufacture of proteins that help produce nerve insulation _ myelin _ were suppressed in the brain tissue of alcoholics compared with such genes in non-alcoholics.
June 15th, 2005 02:37 PM
egon jb is back.

I say that calls for a case of Heineken.
June 15th, 2005 08:19 PM
LadyJane
quote:
egon wrote:
jb is back.

I say that calls for a case of Heineken.

I believe you are right, egon. And btw, WELCOME back to you as well!!

Nice to see the Drinking thread back on Page 1!!

The lushes prevail!!

LJ.
June 16th, 2005 12:45 AM
Child of the Moon
June 16th, 2005 07:44 AM
egon

Pure evil in a can;

[Edited by egon]
June 16th, 2005 12:03 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
I NEED A BEER.

June 16th, 2005 01:57 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:

Skunk piss. That's like tap water without a filter.
June 16th, 2005 03:02 PM
LadyJane I forsee many cocktails in my future!!

Got some really good news today on the job front!!!

Months and months of worry and anxiety have been lifted!!!

I invite you all to share in my good fortune!!!

LJ.
June 17th, 2005 07:17 AM
egon lj, tell me about your job?

yesterday evening had me on of those
"well-it's-thursday evening-and almost-weekend-so-let's-go-and-have-a-few-drinks-on-the-terras" evenings.

Of course i made the classic "mistake" to use the term "few drinks" loosly and after the 3rd bottle of wine
Friday completely slipped my mind and "work" was something
i only needed to think about next week.

How wrong i was...

[Edited by egon]
June 17th, 2005 07:32 AM
LadyJane
quote:
egon wrote:
lj, tell me about your job?

[Edited by egon]

A little foggy this a.m. egon....had drinks last night to celebrate.

I've worked at the same Hospital for 15 years and I love my job. Earlier this year I found out that I was being transferred to another Hospital in a really bad part of town, not knowing anyone there and the people are nasty. I've been very upset about it.

Yesterday...I got a new job right here in my beloved "home" and don't have to leave!! I'm very happy.

LJ.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)