ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

La ńonga stone! With thanks to Gypsy...
© Someone... wait a minute LOL
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: James Jagger wants to be an actor Return to archive
20th June 2004 07:28 PM
Monkey Woman Rock Enrol: Jagger Junior Goes to Drama School

By Josie Clarke, PA News

Sir Mick Jagger’s son James has decided he wants to follow his parents into the world of showbiz by becoming an actor.

The 18 year old, who has just sat his A levels, has won a place at an unnamed drama school and will start this September.

A spokesman said he made the decision after discussing his future with his father and mother, actress and model Jerry Hall.

James, who lives with his mother and siblings in Surrey, auditioned repeatedly for his place at the drama school. which will initially last for one year.

A family friend said: “James is a very bright lad and had already been offered several university places, depending upon getting the right grades, but he’s really caught the acting bug over the last two years at school.

“Both Mick and Jerry had long discussions with him about whether it was the right move but in the end they were both really impressed with his determination to make a career as an actor and have been very supportive.”

Both of his parents have had acting experience. Jerry starred as Mrs Robinson in the stage version of The Graduate and Sir Mick has appeared in Performance, Ned Kelly and The Man From Elysian Fields. He also produced Enigma starring Kate Winslet two years ago.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3092134
20th June 2004 07:35 PM
Bloozehound I hope he has better luck at selecting roles than his papa.
20th June 2004 08:09 PM
Monkey Woman Mick didn't do a career in film acting. But he did have a handful of offbeat but very interesting roles, in which he did well: Performance, Bent, Man From Elysian Fields... To bad he couldn't complete Fitzcarraldo, according to the director he was excellent.

Note also his cameo in The Rutles, it's hilarious!
20th June 2004 08:31 PM
Main Offender Performance and The Rutles are my two favorite Jagger roles. And Bent is 'interesting' to say the least.
21st June 2004 12:26 AM
Bloozehound I've always thought that he did try to start an acting career in the early 70's when he did Performance & Ned Kelly, but for some reason it fizzled out.

My comment was basically aimed at Freejack and that one he did with Dennis Hopper, can't recall the name, but silly movies from what I remember.
21st June 2004 02:00 AM
marko With Dennis Hopper? Thats possibly Running Out Of the Luck.
hehe,funny movie.
21st June 2004 05:38 AM
Monkey Woman Yeah, very funny and very silly! It's more a collection of music videos than a movie, of course... And a good exemple of what happens when you make a home movie with the budget of a feature film! LOL!

BTW, if anything, Mick tried to launch an acting career in the late '60s. He worked on Performance in 1968 and on Ned Kelly in 1969 (between the Hyde Park concert and the American tour). But they were both released in 1970. Ned Kelly's reception was so chilling that it probably played a part in his discontinued interest in acting! And of course, he had his hands full at the time with the management of the Rolling Stones.
22nd June 2004 09:27 AM
Monkey Woman More about James Jagger... He's also into modeling:

"Fashion - Fashion Wire Daily
James Jagger to Make Catwalk Debut in Paris

Fashion Wire Daily June 21, 2004 - Paris - It runs in the family, though not always so smoothly. James Jagger, eldest son of Rolling Stones crooner Mick, is to make his catwalk debut in Paris early next month. The Lips, however, is reportedly rather unhappy about the whole idea.

Young James, an 18-year-old who has just completed his secondary schooling at Stowe "public" school, is scheduled to make his runway premiere in the show of Kim Jones, the hot new British name in menswear.

Jones, who will also be staging his first Paris show, plans to present his collection in the Salle Wagram on Friday, July 2, the same space where Alexander McQueen hosted his dancehall marathon, "They Shoot Horses Don’t They," show last year.

Jagger Junior has signed with Models 1, the same agency where his mother Jerry Hall was a star this past decade. James also follows his sister Elizabeth, and half sister Jade (daughter of Bianca) Jagger onto the catwalk.

But according to UK press reports, Sir Mick is unhappy about the career move by his son James, who has apparently put on hold plans to be an actor.

"Jagger pouts as son heads down catwalk," trumpeted a headline in the London Sunday Times of June 20 over a story which claims the rocker has "an aversion to his children modeling clothes."

Hall and Jagger had a well-publicized row over their daughter Elizabeth becoming a model at the age of 14, an argument that helped deepen the split between the British singer and the Texan supe.

The weekly further claims that Leah Woods, daughter of Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood recruited James for the Jones show. The full-lipped James, who once dated Alexandra (daughter of Keith) Richards, is not a novice to modeling. He has already posed for campaigns for Tommy Hilfiger, Pepe Jeans and Burberry."

Side note: Mick is always supposed to be "furious" about his kids going into modeling, but that doesn't stop them! And as his acting school will probably begin this Autumn, James is hardly "putting his acting career on hold" by doing some modeling in the summer. Just keeping his name in the public's eye...

Here's a page with several pics of James Jagger (click on thumbnails to enlarge):

http://312503550.home.icq.com/jamesjaggerpics.html
22nd June 2004 09:30 AM
Moonisup free jack should have got an Oscar
22nd June 2004 09:37 AM
Joey
Thanks Monkey Woman !
( Rocks Off Member )

Hi Rik !
( Rocks Off Member )

22nd June 2004 09:54 AM
Monkeytonkman fuck jagger and his pretentious acting aspirations!

the real deal will some when (if) Keef plays Johny Depps facther in the sequel to pirates of the Caribbean!

Jagger will be fuming with pent up frustration at this very monment! just the thought that after so many failed attempts, the king of cool will just stroll in and automatically have a role in a number one blockbuster.

never forget, keef is the real deal baby! the nearest thing you'll ever get to living, breathing rock' 'n' roll! all hail the king!
22nd June 2004 09:56 AM
Monkeytonkman holy shit! just read what I've written.

forgive the spelling mistakes, but I've been in the pub all afternoon with a student.finish writing this and then I'm back of up the pubto finish what i started!
22nd June 2004 09:59 AM
Snappy McJack Why do all of them have to be models?

And aren't models usually supposed to be attractive?
22nd June 2004 10:19 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Monkeytonkman wrote:
holy shit! just read what I've written.

forgive the spelling mistakes, but I've been in the pub all afternoon with a student.finish writing this and then I'm back of up the pubto finish what i started!

I hope you don't teach grammar school.

[Edited by not bound to please]
22nd June 2004 11:25 AM
L&A Maybe I'm wrong, but Man From Elysian Fields was never released here in Belgium...
Freejack was hilarious, but I don't know if it was intentional
22nd June 2004 01:23 PM
Monkey Woman No, The Man From Elysian Fields hasn't be released in every market yet. It exists on DVD though.

Mick can be a very good actor but as most actors, he needs direction. Especially as acting is not his main job. Note that he did a very small number of movies in the 35 years since Performance... You can get rusty!

The problem with Freejack, IMO, is that there was no actors direction to speak of. Mick's role is not bad in itself: a bad guy with humour and some heart who turns out not to be too bad after all. He does an honest job. But he obviously needed some imput from the director (I forgot his name...) to say his lines in a way that helps the film along, and not do them as if he was in a spoof TV skit! So it's no wonder Freejack ends up unintentionnally funny.

It was very different in a film like Elysian Fields. George Hickenlooper (the director) knew exactly what he wanted from Mick and insisted on repeated takes until he got it right. The director's commentary on the DVD is very interesting on this account. Hickenlooper jokes that it felt a bit weird at times to keep the respected megastar awake at 3 A.M. because he needed to do still another take of a key scene! I guess probably not every director has the nerve to do that!