ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

La ñonga stone! With thanks to Gypsy...
© Someone... wait a minute LOL
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Let's Spend The Night Together" disappoints Return to archive Page: 1 2
20th June 2004 09:44 AM
Sticky Toes I'd be interested to hear how the rest of you guys feel but I thought Hal Ashby's film of the 1981 tour depicts the Stones not at their peak, performance wise. Watching Jagger prance around in his Robin Hood tights with knee pads just didn't cut it for me. It seemed much too contrived and non-convincing. Musically, it lacked the fire and rawness of previous tours. Right or wrong?
20th June 2004 10:25 AM
T&A didn't much care for the film = but nothing wrong with the tour itself. who cares about the pants? the music was hit and miss like all true rock'n'roll tours - but on a good night (e.g., hampton) - the boys were as good as ever in the Woody era...
20th June 2004 12:26 PM
mac_daddy havent seen the film in years...

when i was a kid it was on the z channel (which has a new documentary made about it, btw)...

I enjoyed it - alot of concert footage...

I presume it is edited and trimmed all to sh*t, but I still remember liking it as a kid...

20th June 2004 12:54 PM
Nellcote Fer Christ Sakes, It's the Stones, get with it!!!!
20th June 2004 12:56 PM
Some Guy I loved it. That was a wonderful time during my life. I own the DVD!! Jams
20th June 2004 02:52 PM
Main Offender I have it on video and haven't watched it for many years, but I remember really liking it. Isn't this the one where all the Stones real life women come out at the end during HTW?? I thought that part was a bit silly but overall, I liked it a whole lot. Now, I'm going to have to watch it soon just to see how I feel today. I'll bet that I still love it! As someone else said, it's the Stones!!
20th June 2004 03:12 PM
Phog It's good, but there are a couple of edits that just suck (the entire first verse of JJF is missing). It does look good, you gotta admit that. I watch Hampton when I want to see something live from '81.
20th June 2004 03:47 PM
The Eggman Ya , i esspeically liked the part where Jagger came out with this glowing rod/stick....

wait a sec?...that was Performance, no wonder I didn't get it as a kid!

LOL
20th June 2004 05:34 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
The Eggman wrote:
Ya , i esspeically liked the part where Jagger came out with this glowing rod/stick....

wait a sec?...that was Performance, no wonder I didn't get it as a kid!

LOL

now performance weirded me out when I was a kid (saw it on the z channel, too - at the ripe old age of like 10)...
20th June 2004 10:35 PM
corgi37 The only thing wrong with LSTNT (dont forget, it was called Time is on our side here in Oz) is that its not officially available on dvd. I love that film. I have a 10,000 generation VHS copy of Hampton which is great too, but LSTNT is fantastic. I saw it at the pictures with my (sob) ex girlfriend. I cried! It was so awe inspiring. I can never forget the the opening scene when they pulled those curtains back to reveal the crowd. Man, what sight! Surely its time for a dvd release, with extra shit and 5.1 mix.

Oh, and i have a copy on VHS i made. When it came out here, it was supposed to be in stereo, but it was only mono. Our version of the film also differs slightly from the U.S. version (which i have seen). From memory, i think Tumblin Dice is different.
20th June 2004 10:45 PM
LadyJane What a timely thread. I JUST found the video of LSTNT yesterday when cleaning. I forgot I bought it. I think I'll pop it into the VCR and give it a look!

LJ.
[Edited by LadyJane]
21st June 2004 10:21 AM
Monkeytonkman When I first watched it, I must admit I thought it was a bit wank, but as time has passed I've really got into it.

i like the fact that it's a bit slap dash, the stones were ram shackle, and to be honest, thats what rock 'n' rolls all about isn't it?

All the subesquent tour videos have been pretty polished and right on the money. I think the nearest an official document has got to that 'feel' i think is the Paris show on Four flicks.
21st June 2004 10:28 AM
jb Bloody awful film ...they sound awful and the film offered nothing interesting....nice to see you made the transition from Gasx3...
21st June 2004 10:36 AM
Gazza my favourite part of the film is the aerial shot over Sun Devil Stadium at the start...oh and the bit on "Just My Imagination" where (if I've got this right) Keith puts his fag down on the stage, Ronnie bends down, picks it up, takes a puff and continues with his backing vocal without missing a note..

Visually spectacular, but musically annoying with all the edits especially as that was the first tour I saw the Stones on.

Hampton'81 is a far better representation of that tour IMO

21st June 2004 10:47 AM
exilestones@netscape badly edited movie - great tour
21st June 2004 10:49 AM
jb The problem with the movie is that they come off as almost cartoon-like characters and the music didn't help.
21st June 2004 10:58 AM
F505
quote:
exilestones@netscape wrote:
badly edited movie - great tour

That's the right conclusion! I just want to add: very badly edited movie.
[Edited by F505]
21st June 2004 11:01 AM
voodoopug 81 is probably my favorite tour, but the edits make Hampton the much better representative of the tour, but a fun film nonetheless
21st June 2004 11:03 AM
jb The best performances in LSTNT are, imho, ADTL, YCAGWYW, and Black Limousine....
21st June 2004 11:13 AM
F505 I just bought Ladies and Gentlemen on DVD and it is if I see everything through a haze. But the sound quality is excellent and the playing is outstanding! The bonus part is an interview Dick Cavett made with a very shy Mick Jagger...
[Edited by F505]
21st June 2004 11:14 AM
Jumping Jack What was Mick doing before and after the shows on all fours that he needed kneepads for?
21st June 2004 11:17 AM
F505
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
What was Mick doing before and after the shows on all fours that he needed kneepads for?

He had visited too many Football Games I think. Wasn't Mick at the time vice-president of the New York Cosmos where Beckenbauer and Cruyff ended their careers?
21st June 2004 12:01 PM
Gazza >What was Mick doing before and after the shows on all fours that he needed kneepads for?

Angie Bowie might have a good answer for that!!
21st June 2004 12:07 PM
jb No matter what anyone says, I do not believe Mick ever had a sexual experience with Bowie. Anyone who has ever seen or heard Angela Bowie can ascertain that she was seeking publicity for her book and was not a very stable person. I am not denying that Mick used that androgynous look for a short time, but to cast dispersions about his sexual preferences is about as low as one can go.
21st June 2004 12:26 PM
David admit it, those of you that didn't like it, don't like because there's way too much guitar. You wonder, "Where's Chuck? Who's this Ian character? Why don't they turn his piano up?"
21st June 2004 12:52 PM
Jumping Jack A football fan you say? What was his favorite position, wide reciever or tight end?
21st June 2004 12:53 PM
jb Charlie looked so awful...that rainbow color t-shirt was awful..
21st June 2004 12:59 PM
polksalad69
quote:
jb wrote:
No matter what anyone says, I do not believe Mick ever had a sexual experience with Bowie. Anyone who has ever seen or heard Angela Bowie can ascertain that she was seeking publicity for her book and was not a very stable person. I am not denying that Mick used that androgynous look for a short time, but to cast dispersions about his sexual preferences is about as low as one can go.

This is about as low as you can go.
21st June 2004 01:04 PM
F505
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
A football fan you say? What was his favorite position, wide reciever or tight end?

Well I don't know if he likes American Football but I do know Mick was once chairman of vice-chairman of the New York Cosmos a once famous soccer team in NYC. I think it was late seventies...
21st June 2004 01:11 PM
F505 Wim Rijsbergen: Mijn nieuwe werkgever heette New York Cosmos. We hadden daar echt een wereldelftal met mannen als Pelé, Beckenbauer, Marinho en Carlos Alberto, om maar wat te noemen. In Amerika speelden destijds 24 clubs in de competitie. Die herbergden spelers als Suurbier, Advocaat, Van Hanegem en George Best. Later kwam Cruijff ook bij de Washington Diplomats te spelen.
In New York zaten de gebroeders Ertugun, twee Turkse voetbalfanaten van Warner Brothers, achter de Cosmos. Vaak nodigden zij sterren als Mick Jagger en Rod Stewart uit naar ons kijken.

I was wrong. Not Jagger but the Ertugun bros were the people behind the Cosmos. They invited Jagger a lot as Wim Rijsbergen a former Dutch soccer player explains....
Page: 1 2