ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pre Rolling Stones - May 1962
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Budokan: observations on Woody Return to archive
06-25-03 07:30 PM
T&A I've had the cds for a few weeks, but recently acquired the DVD (nicely done from the balcony at directly facing the stage with a great zoom lens).

While I was listening the discs, a couple of things I wondered about concerning Woody that could only be answered with the video.

1) What was he doing on his CYHMK solo? I've heard dozens of versions of this on the tour, but he was doing something I hadn't heard before. Answer: on a couple of occasions he discards the pick - putting itin his mouth - and plucks the strings in an almost appregio fashion creating a very exotic, sort of "Oriental" sound - reminded me of what Robbie Krieger used to do on songs like Light My Fire. Very interesting stuff.

2) Was that really him playing the second solo on Rock Me Baby? In listening to the audio only, I was highly impressed with the solo - had a fire and a purpose that I literally had not heard out of Woody since 81/82 - reminded me of the way he used to attack the Black Limo solo in that era. The reason I wondered if it was really him (or possibly someone else like Blondie backstage) is that Mick makes a cryptic comment after the song about a "ghost special guest." I needed to see with my own eyes that it was indeed Woody playing the firey solo. Boy, I'd sure like to hear that kinda stuff more from him. Nice to know he's still got it in him.

Woody also adds a very nice solo on acoustic slide for No Expectations - possibly the best version of this tune I've heard on the tour. Interestingly, Keith sits down on Charlie's riser during the entire song, concentrating on his electric fills. The cameraman captures this "setting" very nicely - very rare to see Mick standing (with acoustic guitar), while both Woody and Keith sit.

One other observation - Mick really enjoys singing WAY - you can read it in his body language. This is clearly a song that would go over well in larger venues, too...too bad it's been reserved for the theaters only, apparently.
06-25-03 07:45 PM
steel driving hammer "Woody also adds a very nice solo on acoustic slide for No Expectations"

I noticed that too. And Do I like it? Yes I do.

His solo there is that happy medium between predicatble and not predictable.

But like Ronnie's playing, he should never be predictable.

Like 81-82.

06-25-03 08:04 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Interesting - when I saw Charlie & Co. at the Fleet, "No Expectations" was the worst song of the evening. Ronnie's slide was predictable when it was audible, and the three guitars ruined it - I kept wanting Mick to foist the accoustic off on Keith and force him to play it into the microphone '69-Prodigal-Son style.

Ronnie did deliver the solo of a lifetime on "All Down The Line", though, so he was forgiven.

I have yet to hear my copy of the Budokan shows, as I'm on vacation, but I'm psyched.

In re "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", Ronnie seems to take Taylor's solo as a blueprint, run it through the Faces a couple of times, and try stuff out when he thinks he can get away with it. Some nights, as a result, are sub-par, but some nights are just downright flooring. The trick he pulled at Roseland with the feedback still blows me away every time I hear it, even though he does the "false ending" one too many times. The Atlanta remaster that Mickboy did also has a CYHMK that's so good it's chilling.

As for the "secret guest", where were Angus and Malcolm? And who were guests at the show that night, hangin' around backstage? Slash, maybe? You might well have had one of those three in the back on the Dussenberg, the guitar I would take out a student loan to own.

When did you snag this DVD, and where might a show-hungry youngster get his paws on a copy?

-tSYX --- Yeah, you got satin shoes...
06-25-03 11:13 PM
T&A there wasn't any opener at Budokan as I understand it...and like I said in my original post - you can definitely tell it's Ronnie on the Rock Me solo.

I agree with you, Savage, on the CYHMK - at times RW comes off as a real musician, other nights as a buffoon.

The audio cds that I have of Budokan are very, very good with one slight drawback - recording obviously took place on RW's side and as a result, the mix isn't what you'd like and KR is too far down. On the DVD audio - the balance is much better but the overall quality of the recording isn't as good.

I can't burn DVD's - but this thing is circulating pretty widely on Shidoobee...check over there to get someone to burn fer ya....

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003