ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pre Rolling Stones - May 1962
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: .wav Format Return to archive
06-24-03 09:58 AM
Factory Girl If I get a cdr in .wav format, can I play it on my cd player? Or, do I also have to convert or decode first?

Thanks!
06-24-03 10:18 AM
egon depends on the player, not the format.

"old" players usualy don't play recordable cd's.
(especially re-recordable)

just try.
06-24-03 10:29 AM
Factory Girl Would a new dvd player play this format?
06-24-03 10:49 AM
egon it's not about the format, it's about (re-) recordable
cd's.
a 'new' player can handle them
(as long as it's not too shitty)
[Edited by egon]
06-24-03 08:10 PM
mac_daddy hmmm

if the CD-R has files with the ".wav" extension, they are NOT playable in a standalone.

standalones/consumer products read cdda only. when you burn a CD, the burning program converts the .wav information to the consumer Redbook audio CD standard (that all products, in order to be CALLED compact disc players, must adhere to). Actually, I think it only adds/changes the header information, but regardless, the files and their formats are different animals, entirely. That is why if you browse an audio CD (even one burned on a CD-R) in the File Explorer, you see a bunch of .cdda (or ".cda") files, not a bunch of .wavs...

Now many players slack on how strictly they adhere to the Redbook (and other) standards. A better example of this is the way you can tweak SVCDs and VCDs with higher bitrates, and still get them to play in CERTAIN (mostly Chinese) standalones. But none are tweaked to play .wavs. I have never heard of a standalone audio CD player being able to play a CD-R containing only .wav files. Some new ones might have that feature, although I seriously doubt it, as it is an absurd idea...

Whoever burned a CD filled with .wavs (and not an audioCD) did not know what he/she was doing - you either compress, or you burn an audio CD...
_____

PS: Players made prior to 1998 had lasers that did not read the surface of CD-Rs (or certain surfaces). Nowadays, they all read all surfaces. This is unrelated to the original query, but it was brought up, so I wanted to address it...

[Edited by mac_daddy]
06-24-03 08:11 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Would a new dvd player play this format?

a standalone (consumer) player? No.
06-25-03 07:20 AM
Factory Girl Thanks for the info. everyone.
06-25-03 07:35 AM
egon i'll just shut up
06-25-03 08:54 AM
Factory Girl Egon, I appreciated your information. Please do not shut up.
06-25-03 09:02 AM
mac_daddy yea - egon, that certainly was not what I was implying, either. I simply wanted to address the issues raised in the thread...
06-25-03 10:00 AM
egon i know :-))

i just ment that you are right and i was wrong.

cheers!

egon

btw, remeber him:

[Edited by egon]
06-25-03 10:12 AM
Factory Girl Is that Vanilla Ice? What happened to him?
06-25-03 10:15 AM
egon not much good - LOL
06-25-03 10:29 AM
Factory Girl Haha, egon. Really, what happened??
06-25-03 10:45 AM
egon not too long ago i saw a docu called "hollywood behind the scenes" or something.

the guy's now covered with tattoos and sings (unsuccesfully) in a hardrock band.

after "ice ice baby" it went down hill with him.
(who can top a brilliant original song like that?)

the usual drugs, drink, kick the shit out of your wife
routine.

but now he's doing much better (or so he says)

however this is the text that came with the pic;

Robert Van Winkle (aka Vanilla Ice) was arrested by Davie, Florida police in January 2001 after allegedly pulling hair out of his wife's head during an argument. Van Winkle, who copped to disorderly conduct in April 2001, was sentenced to probation and ordered to attend family therapy sessions.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003