ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pre Rolling Stones - May 1962
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Queen Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
06-23-03 10:08 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Pattie wrote:

*cries*

Rollie! you make me cry, I love Queen.

Sorry! Babe I don't mean to offend their fans! But for me there is no X factor!

06-23-03 11:14 AM
Hannalee I love Queen with a passion. Especially (though in no particular order):

'39
Hammer to Fall
Fat-bottomed Girls
Sheer Heart Attack
I Can't Live with You
Now I'm Here
These Are the Days of Our Lives
Las Palabras de Amor
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Bring back that Leroy Brown
Good Company
Headlong
Put Out the Fire
In the Lap of the gods
Tenement Funster
You Take my Breath Away
Flick of the Wrist
etc; etc.

Zeeta, Bri's never had an afro (or a perm) in his life...

Alex, you were saying about them being nice guys - when Jim Callaghan (who also features on the Wembley DVD) had that heart attack in India, I emailed Brian about it as I knew JC had worked for them, and had a very prompt reply thanking me and saying that he'd get in touch with Jim.

Anyway, if it wasn't for Queen, I'd never have become interested in rock music in the first place. I just wish (starting to sound like the Stones setlist whingers) that it wasn't always the major hits that get played.

[Edited by Hannalee]
06-23-03 11:29 AM
Pattie hannalee!
I'm glad you love em too!

Rollie, it's fine, I forgive you, you don't have to like them. The fact that you love the stones is enough, that's the most important thing
06-23-03 11:38 AM
Zeeta

Sorry but that's a perm!
06-23-03 11:43 AM
Hannalee Oh no it isn't!
06-23-03 11:45 AM
moy queen was a great band specially in the 70s
06-23-03 11:53 AM
Pattie

It looks like an afro but it ain't. It's his normal hair you know.
06-23-03 12:25 PM
Sir Stonesalot I can't believe you guys are arguing about Brian May's hair. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKK!

My problems with Queen have never been with musicianship. Obviously all of them are very proficient at their instruments.

It is the total lack of cajones that bothers me. Queen music has no danger in it...no menace.

I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike

PUH-leez!

Even "Another One Bites The Dust", a song about people getting whacked, sounds cute. If the Stones had done that tune, people would have been hiding under tables and stuff.

I am a carnivour when it comes to music...and Queen ain't got the beef.

WHERE"S THE BEEF!!!

LOL!
06-23-03 12:49 PM
Hannalee Just trying to keep the record straight

I don't find Queen's music "dangerous" either (though I can imagine Mick doing a great version of Flick of the Wrist); I find it uplifting. Bit like Handel.
06-23-03 01:08 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I find it uplifting. Bit like Handel.<

OK.

But what does Handel have to do with rock & roll? See what I mean?

To each their own, and everything...but Queen is more pomp than Rock. Definately not my cup of tea.
06-23-03 01:22 PM
Hannalee
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>I find it uplifting. Bit like Handel.<

OK.

But what does Handel have to do with rock & roll? See what I mean?

Merely that music I like tends to have the same effect on me whether I'm listening to Beethoven or Buddy Holly; Sabbath or Schubert.

And while I tend to agree with you about Bicycle Race (Freddie seemed to have a thing about bikes. Weird) Queen gets me moving more than any band I've heard so far.
06-23-03 01:32 PM
Sir Stonesalot Ahhhh. I see.

We are from 2 different planets my lady....mine has no classical music on it. If it did, I'd be sleeping a lot.
06-23-03 01:42 PM
Soul Survivor I don't like every little thing they do. My interests in music are blues based rock, so I like Queen's rockers more than their soft stuff. Ya know?
06-23-03 01:46 PM
Soul Survivor Headlong
Tie Your Mother Down
Your My Best Friend
Sweet Lady
Sheer Heart Attack
It's Late
Stone Cold Crazy
Fat Bottomed Girls
One Vision
Get Down, Make Love
Now I'm Here
'39

And alot of others are all good
06-23-03 02:00 PM
egon
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
WHERE"S THE BEEF!!!

mainly in freddie's pants
06-23-03 03:31 PM
Pattie
well, he was gay! (Freddie) you can�t expect his lyrics to be too butch
06-23-03 03:36 PM
jb Queen is one of the most overrated groups of all time..they popularity among the English is mind boggling as they constanly are in the top five whereas the Stones are in the lower 1/2 of any poll...I mean, yes, a few of their songs are classic, but overall just pop music with some operatic flare......
06-23-03 04:52 PM
Sir Stonesalot >well, he was gay! (Freddie) you can�t expect his lyrics to be too butch<

Rob Halford is gay too, but he certainly writes butch enough stuff.

I think people go easy on Queen because Freddy died, and they think it shows how open minded they are if they like a band that has openly gay people in it.

Bollocks.

I don't care who or what is in a band...they better fuckin' rock, they better have attitude, and they better have something to say other than fat assed chicks are cool.

Queen plays generic pop with some drama-queen flash. I don't own anything by them, and I never will. If you all dig it, that's super. You aren't alone. Lots of people like it. I'm not lots of people. Sorry.
06-23-03 05:01 PM
marko Queen i call them Queer!poop on a player.
06-23-03 06:04 PM
Prodigal Son I think we know why Freddie had a thing for bikes. He just liked to ride them and watch other guys ride them I suppose. And those bike shorts must've been a fave for him too. Yikes!
P.S. Queen does truly blow in 90% of their overall music.
06-23-03 06:34 PM
sirmoonie I think its disgusting that a band as fake as Queen is even mentioned on this board. Do you people really listen to that stuff? What DON'T you listen to?

Here try this one:

Foreigner
Cold as Ice
Head Games
Urgent
Feels Like the First Time
I Wanna Know What Piss Is
Hotblooded
Double Vision
Jukebox Hero

Whoooaahhh! I've heard all those songs! They've gotta be good!
06-23-03 06:42 PM
Highwire Rob They never did perform Another One Bites The Dust in the Mercury tribute concert.

I have Classic Queen and I really do enjoy the music--particularly Brian May's guitar technique.

I thought their songs for Highlander made for one of the better movie soundtracks. And that was way before We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions(W/ Robbie Williams) was used in A Knight's Tale.

All we hear is Radio Ga Ga...
06-23-03 07:47 PM
steel driving hammer Headlong = Boom Ditty Ditty Boom Ditty Doo.
06-23-03 08:25 PM
Sir Stonesalot >All we hear is Radio Ga Ga...<

No shit. Queen is all over classic rock radio.

And didn't Elvis Costello write that song first and better?
06-23-03 09:01 PM
Highwire Rob SS, Elvis C. did the Radio Radio song, which is pretty cool too; Roger Taylor is lyricist for the Queen Radio Ga Ga song.

STOMP STOMP *CLAP* STOMP STOMP *CLAP* <---How many stadiums/crowds have covered that Queen beat? Are there not some serious copyright residuals owed!
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
06-23-03 09:55 PM
Sir Stonesalot Gee, thanks for the music history lesson there Rob.

The point of my whole remark was that:

a.) Elvis Costello did that radio put down thing first.

b.) Radio Radio is 10 times the song that Radio Ga Ga could ever hope or aspire to be.

My remark was meant to be taken, by people in the know, as: Radio Ga Ga is just Radio Radio except not as good.

I guess instead of trying to be witty and clever, I should have just come right out and typed it that way. That way I won't get unneeded history lessons.
06-23-03 11:11 PM
Soul Survivor SS, whats the big deal?
06-23-03 11:24 PM
Sir Stonesalot See Sirmoonie's post.

THAT is what is what my dear boy.

Crap is crap, no matter how it's dressed up.

Just setting the record straight(no offense to Freddy).
06-23-03 11:28 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Soul Survivor wrote:
SS, whats the big deal?

Everythings been a big deal to him lately.

Since last month, he's been more serious than a jack hammer.

Let It Loose.
06-23-03 11:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot Eat flan you twat.
Page: 1 2 3

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003