ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Estadio José Alvalade XXI, Lisbon 25th June 2007
© GotToRollMe and Gazza
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Chuck's Perspective on Start of Tour 07... Return to archive Page: 1 2
19th June 2007 02:11 PM
Angiegirl Just for you folks who have better things to do than read Chuck Leavell's blog (unlike me, I love his self-involved writing style too much), here's some snippets of his perspective on the Brussels Rehearsals and Opening Night (Werchter, Belgium, June 5 2007)... I even hi-lited some funny (...) parts for ya.

Gotta love the little bearded dude... Enjoy!

Source: http://www.chuckleavell.com/_blog/index.php

BRUSSELS REHEARSALS 2007
"I had my short workout and then went to clean up and start looking in earnest at some ideas for songs on this leg of the tour. I had been looking and thinking some, and Mick had contacted me a week or so prior to us coming over with some ideas of his own. I had answered him with some of my suggestions, and wanted to 'bone up' and make some notes before we got together. Rose Lane was up but didn’t want to accompany me to rehearsals…choosing to go out on her own and walk around. We left for the Eng Videohouse (an old TV station that we had taken over for the rehearsals) at 3:30. Our wonderful crew had set up everything at the facility…. a dining room, dressing rooms, and offices and so forth upstairs, and the room for our rehearsals was a generously large and comfortable space downstairs. There were some other offices set up downstairs as well.

Our back line crew and sound crew had everything hooked up and running. Us musicians settled in for our usual routine…having a bite to eat and then going to our dressing rooms. I worked some more on a list to discuss with Mick, and soon was called in to see him in his room. He had already arrived…and had gone through some of his usual warm ups and workouts and was ready to discuss the issue of songs with me. We had a good meeting, agreeing on quite a list of songs to try, although there were some on my list that he thought might be 'long shots' for one reason or another. I always enjoy these discussions with Mick he's very open to suggestions, even if he sometimes doesn’t agree with me. In the end, we always have a good 'back and forth' and settle on some good reasonable choices. It was great to see him again as a friend…and while we didn’t have a lot of time to get very social, we had a short catching up of our lives since the last show back in Nov. of '06."

[...]

"For the next eight days we rehearsed every day. We breezed through some tunes, and others provided challenges. I pushed the envelope as much as I could to try an array of songs. Some we got to, some we didn't. There were a number of things that worked straight away and that showed promise: Let It Bleed; Sweet Virginia; Far Away Eyes; Can't You Hear Me Knocking; Loving Cup; Monkey Man; Some Girls and a good many others. all of which I felt might have a chance to make it in to the set eventually. There were many other ones we tried... too many songs to go into all of them, but there must have been at least 50 or so including the icon songs.

There were lots of them that I wanted to get to that we didn't: She’s A Rainbow; Flip The Switch; Saint Of Me; Sad, Sad, Sad and a host of others. But that's not to say that we can't address them at a sound check or backstage at some point, so in the end I think we have a lot of ammunition for the tour. One that I suggested to Mick was James Brown's 'Ill Go Crazy. We both had thought of doing a tribute to James as we had done for Ray Charles when we did 'Night Time Is The Right Time' since James had recently passed away, but that specific song was my suggestion, and Mick liked it. I also suggested it could serve as a feature for Lisa again, just as Night Time was for her on the last run. This idea flew with Keith as well and the rest of the band liked it, too. The first time we played it, it felt great and I think it will possibly be a staple for us.

Some nights Keith kept us there very late after Mick left, listening a lot to different tracks and playing a wide range of tunes that he was considering. It was fun... if sometimes tiring... and in the end we addressed a good many of his songs through the band's career.

As the days rolled by, we all became more comfortable and confident in our situation, and Mick and I met a few times to try and begin to cull things down to a 2-hour set. There were hard choices to be made, but the good news is that it looks like we'll be able to change things around during the course of the tour and try some different approaches the shows. I like having this flexibility and hope that we will indeed be more adventurous with the total number of tunes we are able to bring to the stage. We’ll see!"

OPENING NIGHT WERCHTER JUNE 5 2007
"Finally we hit the stage. It was a great feeling to make that final walk to the stage again: lights going down, pre-show music coming up...all of us taking our places and then Keith ripping into the intro of our first song, 'Start Me Up'. We were off and running!

The set went well, but not without some glitches. Mick and I had suggested 'Only Rock and Roll' for the 'rollout' to the B stage; it worked fine, but it took Keith a while to get to the intro as the song came right after his two numbers and he likes to change his shirt and take a moment before the next song. We may have to address that somehow, as it made for a slightly awkward gap. There was the same problem coming back... we tried 'Paint It Black' after the 'rollback' to the A stage after 'Honky Tonk', and again, it took a little time for Keith to kick in the intro. But I liked the flow in general. We'll see how much of it we might have to change.

One of the highlights was 'Can’t You Hear Me Knocking', nice groove, good solos. 'Some Girls' was fun if a bit raucous but that's the nature of the song. 'I’ll Go Crazy' worked great from my perspective, well played and well received. The other tunes were fine, but no doubt we'll perform them better the more we play them. In general it was a good kick-off, and things will definitely be tweaked and improved during the course of the tour. Nice to have good options!"
19th June 2007 02:18 PM
Joey

Congratulations AngieGirl on the recent birth of your new baby boy .

19th June 2007 07:42 PM
gimmekeef Chuck has the audacity to blog.."We may have to address that".....now theres the self indulgent line of the century.....Kepp outta the way.....Things seem to be Stonesing along quite nicely...see Lyon...
20th June 2007 06:50 AM
albert OK Angelique!! Nice that you will be reading all this and keep us informed with the highlights..........what would the Stones be without Chuck and Rose Lane......they're the real secret power behind the band, aren't they? Maybe next they will cover a song from Genesis..........or Phil Collins make a guest appareance.......and of course all the credits for the James Brown tribute are totally for Chuck. Keep reading !!

gr,
Albert
Holland
20th June 2007 06:51 AM
albert OK Angelique!! Nice that you will be reading all this and keep us informed with the highlights..........what would the Stones be without Chuck and Rose Lane......they're the real secret power behind the band, aren't they? Maybe next they will cover a song from Genesis..........or Phil Collins make a guest appareance.......and of course all the credits for the James Brown tribute are totally for Chuck. Keep reading !!

gr,
Albert
Holland
20th June 2007 08:13 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
albert wrote:
OK Angelique!! Nice that you will be reading all this and keep us informed with the highlights..........what would the Stones be without Chuck and Rose Lane......they're the real secret power behind the band, aren't they? Maybe next they will cover a song from Genesis..........or Phil Collins make a guest appareance.......and of course all the credits for the James Brown tribute are totally for Chuck. Keep reading !!

gr,
Albert
Holland

LOL! Amazing isn't he? He mentioned at least twice how the James Brown tribute was his idea, no subtlety there either.
20th June 2007 08:20 AM
Torn and Frayed Self-involved writing style? It is his blog, you know.
20th June 2007 08:22 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

There were lots of them that I wanted to get to that we didn't: She?s A Rainbow; Flip The Switch; Saint Of Me; Sad, Sad, Sad and a host of others.

I would absolutely love to see them do Flip The Switch. I'll be more than satisfied with Loving Cup though.
20th June 2007 08:30 AM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Chuck has the audacity to blog.."We may have to address that".....now theres the self indulgent line of the century.....Kepp outta the way.....Things seem to be Stonesing along quite nicely...see Lyon...

Au contraire. Its clear that the impetus on changing things around is primarily down to him being pushy with Mick about it. And if something isnt quite working from a technical standpoint - like that b-stage idea - its up to him as musical director to be part of the solution in 'addressing' it

Good to see that he says there is always room during the tour at soundchecks etc to work on songs that havent been rehearsed as yet.
20th June 2007 08:50 AM
PartyDoll MEG Angiegirl..please continue to keep us informed!!!

Sorry to say Chuck's blog isn't on my list of "daily must reads"-lol
20th June 2007 09:11 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Au contraire. Its clear that the impetus on changing things around is primarily down to him being pushy with Mick about it. And if something isnt quite working from a technical standpoint - like that b-stage idea - its up to him as musical director to be part of the solution in 'addressing' it

Good to see that he says there is always room during the tour at soundchecks etc to work on songs that havent been rehearsed as yet.

Fans here don't realize that without Chuck, we probably don't hear songs like Sway, CYHMK, Far Away Eyes, As Tears Go By, etc. Chuck is the one who pushes for changes in the setlist.

On a side note, I see no way that Keith can physically play Flip the Switch anymore....perhaps Blondie can cover his notes?
20th June 2007 09:34 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Fans here don't realize that without Chuck, we probably don't hear songs like Sway, CYHMK, Far Away Eyes, As Tears Go By, etc. Chuck is the one who pushes for changes in the setlist.

On a side note, I see no way that Keith can physically play Flip the Switch anymore....perhaps Blondie can cover his notes?

True.

And true.
20th June 2007 09:59 AM
Moonisup I knew it, I said it before. Chuck is the stones, but you all said I was crazy
20th June 2007 10:01 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
I knew it, I said it before. Chuck is the stones, but you all said I was crazy

I have also always stood by this.
20th June 2007 10:13 AM
albert Rik: you are............

and all the time we knew............

gr,
Albert
Holland
20th June 2007 10:14 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I have also always stood by this.

Whatever one thinks of his style/gear/whatever, it's beyond dispute that he's responsible for the vast majority of non-warhorses on any given setlist...
20th June 2007 10:33 AM
gimmekeef If you believe what the tree hugger blogs then yes he is....Me?...well I cant stand that grinnin plinking style so high in the mix.....Guess I just am too loyal to Stu..Mac would be better..Musical Director?....pluuueeeze
[Edited by gimmekeef]
20th June 2007 10:38 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
I knew it, I said it before. Chuck is the stones, but you all said I was crazy

Rightey-O!!
Don't ya just love the validation of your beliefs!!!
20th June 2007 10:48 AM
KeithRichards Chuck always writes interesting things.
Here is a blog entry (shortened a bit) that offers some quite interesting insights. Give it a read!

We departed the Principe de Savoia hotel at 2 for our bus ride to the airport and our flight to Vienna. I was especially excited, as I had been in touch [...] with a man that I have wanted [...] for many years, Axel Zwingenberger.[...]I [...]played with him once on a show called “A Left Hand Like God” [...]. He had made a great suggestion to get together before the show and go to the [...] showroom which is just around the corner from the back of the Imperial Hotel where we are staying. He had a connection there, and there is a private room [...] where we could have a little fun. So the plans were laid.

I had made arrangements to meet Axel around 1pm in the lobby of the hotel. He and Eva showed up right on time, and we had a warm and friendly introduction. [...]Then we made our way over to the room as had been planned. His friend that works there met us and showed us to the room [...] It’s like a kid in a candy shop for me to be in that place! Axel and I sat down and began to pump out [...] I started out with [...]just a standard kind of groove, and he joined in straight away. Man, did we have fun! He’s an amazing player…his “pocket” is so deep and solid, his left hand pumping like a steam train and his right hand playing those “diamond tiara” licks. Rose Lane and Eva took some pictures [...], and we were all smiles. [...] After about an hour of this, I had to pry myself out of the room, as we had to go back and get ready to head to the venue. But before we did, we got a short tour of the facilities, which included the “golden hall” [...] We all went back to the hotel and I prepared to go on the early van to the stadium. We hugged Axel and Eva a temporary goodbye [...]

[Edited by KeithRichards]
20th June 2007 11:27 AM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
If you believe what the tree hugger blogs then yes he is....Me?...well I cant stand that grinnin plinking style so high in the mix.....Guess I just am too loyal to Stu..Mac would be better..Musical Director?....pluuueeeze
[Edited by gimmekeef]

You're suggesting Keith is capable of being the band's musical director these days? Please. They can barely count in at times without Leavell leading them by the hand.

very easy for a fan to take their frustrations out at the band's shortcomings on a hired hand. If he has too much of an influence in the Stones sound these days for anyone's liking, its because the Stones want it that way. Thats how it is. Its not like he's demanding that he's turned up so high.

Without Leavell, you'd be getting a condensed version of 40 Licks every night for the last two years, and nothing else. Jagger's become such a revisionist he even thinks 'Sway' is an 'obscurity' for fucks sake.

[Edited by Gazza]
20th June 2007 11:40 AM
Saint Sway God bless Chuck.

but by failing to urge the Stones to play "Dance Little Sister", he is obviously using his powers as 'Muscial Director' for evil and not good. And thats a shame.
20th June 2007 12:43 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

You're suggesting Keith is capable of being the band's musical director these days? Please. They can barely count in at times without Leavell leading them by the hand.

very easy for a fan to take their frustrations out at the band's shortcomings on a hired hand. If he has too much of an influence in the Stones sound these days for anyone's liking, its because the Stones want it that way. Thats how it is. Its not like he's demanding that he's turned up so high.

Without Leavell, you'd be getting a condensed version of 40 Licks every night for the last two years, and nothing else. Jagger's become such a revisionist he even thinks 'Sway' is an 'obscurity' for fucks sake.

[Edited by Gazza]

I just dont like his style....my opinion wont change..nor do I expect anyones should either...Playing songs for the 1000th time shouldnt be that tough...but it appears it is.
20th June 2007 02:26 PM
glencar Chuck is an extremely nice guy who has pushed them to do songs that would otherwise NEVER get done. His "plinking" has been turned down in the mix & he's not the one hitting the wrong notes. I'll take one Chuck to 10 Blondies any day of the week. That guy is a real drag.
20th June 2007 02:29 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
If you believe what the tree hugger blogs then yes he is....Me?...well I cant stand that grinnin plinking style so high in the mix.....Guess I just am too loyal to Stu..Mac would be better..Musical Director?....pluuueeeze
[Edited by gimmekeef]

Pining (no pun intended) for Stu or Mac in place of Chuck is really a sort of sublimated nostalgia for the Stones as they were then...
20th June 2007 02:32 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Pining (no pun intended) for Stu or Mac in place of Chuck is really a sort of sublimated nostalgia for the Stones as they were then...

As I get older Mel...Guess I like to harken back to those days..lock me up if ya have to but please throw a copy of Brussels in my cell will ya?..Cant believe I'm posting 4 replies about a piano player...geeeeshhhhhh
20th June 2007 02:39 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

In a way Chuck has kind of come in to fill in for Stu.
Maybe Mick and Keith need someone to fall back on....a father figure.
20th June 2007 02:41 PM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

I just dont like his style....

fair enough (I can take or leave it too), but with respect not really the point, which is that without him this band would be somewhat shambolic.

quote:
my opinion wont change..nor do I expect anyones should either...Playing songs for the 1000th time shouldnt be that tough...but it appears it is.

It sure is - but thats not Chuck's fault or Chuck's problem, in fairness
20th June 2007 02:41 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

In a way Chuck has kind of come in to fill in for Stu.
Maybe Mick and Keith need someone to fall back on....a father figure.

They already have a father figure: Michael Cohl....and they also have a protege to take under their wing (see: Young Jacob Cohl)
20th June 2007 02:53 PM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

They already have a father figure: Michael Cohl....and they also have a protege to take under their wing (see: Young Jacob Cohl)

The artistic and marketing genius that is rs.com is a great thing to have on anyone's c.v. !
20th June 2007 02:54 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

As I get older Mel...Guess I like to harken back to those days..lock me up if ya have to but please throw a copy of Brussels in my cell will ya?..Cant believe I'm posting 4 replies about a piano player...geeeeshhhhhh

Who doesn't like to harken back to those days? Nothing wrong with it. Me, I take the Stones as I find them. Just wish I didn't have to pay so much.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)