ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Estadio José Alvalade XXI, Lisbon 25th June 2007
© GotToRollMe and Gazza
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RIP Bernard Manning Return to archive
19th June 2007 01:03 PM
Honky Tonk Man Don't listen to the liberal loons, RIP to one of our finest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Manning
19th June 2007 01:38 PM
Flairville I never really thought he was that great. The one thing I remember vividly was when he appeared as a guest on 'The Mrs Merton Show' in the mid 90's. He was vicious towards Richard Wilson (Victor Meldrew in One Foot..) but then an old man in the audience asked Bernard a question. He said; 'Bernard, do you remember me? You picked me up in your Bentley years ago, I had broken down in the middle of nowhere and you gave me a lift!' He replied ' I do remember you yes! You're still a little short arsed bastard! You should be sat in a garden with a fishing rod in your hand! Everyone collapsed laughing. It must have been great cos I can remember it nearly word for word and it must be 12 years since I saw it. Brutal, but funny.
19th June 2007 02:10 PM
Honky Tonk Man I don't think the younger generation would 'get' or enjoy his brand of humour at all. I like what I've sen on TV over the years. I just think he's an example of everything that is wrong with PC Britain. If he'd died 20 years ago he'd of been more fondly remembered, but today or people can shout is "racist" Pathetic really.
20th June 2007 07:41 AM
corgi37 Never heard of the fucker. I thought the thread was misspelt and it was Bernard Fanning - Lead singer of Aussie band Powderfinger.
20th June 2007 08:06 AM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
Flairville wrote:
I never really thought he was that great. The one thing I remember vividly was when he appeared as a guest on 'The Mrs Merton Show' in the mid 90's. He was vicious towards Richard Wilson (Victor Meldrew in One Foot..) but then an old man in the audience asked Bernard a question. He said; 'Bernard, do you remember me? You picked me up in your Bentley years ago, I had broken down in the middle of nowhere and you gave me a lift!' He replied ' I do remember you yes! You're still a little short arsed bastard! You should be sat in a garden with a fishing rod in your hand! Everyone collapsed laughing. It must have been great cos I can remember it nearly word for word and it must be 12 years since I saw it. Brutal, but funny.

I remember that very well too. I thought Bernard was bloody great! Just as he was announced by "Mrs Merton" (Caroline Aherne), Richard Wilson said "Bernard Who?" in a very sarcastic manner. So Bernard rightly put him back in his place by reminding him how many Royal command performances he has under his belt.

I agree that Bernard's material is now dated and that he would have never survived on the current stand up circuit. But he had perfect comic timing and up untill a few weeks ago was packing out his Embassy club in Manchester.

Another thing that isnt very well known about him is how much charity work he did. The man raised a fortune for various charities.

Yes he was politically incorrect and to an extent racist. But he was fucking funny with it! And many other people thought so too. Just listen to the tributes being paid to him by his piers!

I have a video of Bernard taken at a stand up gig in 1994. He walks on the stage and jut stares at the crowd for about 40 seconds, then he lights up a cigarette and takes a huge long puff and releases it into the spotlit air. He then utters his first words. "Fuck Roy Castle!"

I cried with laughter. Thsi was literally days after the guy had died from lung cancer due to passive smoking! Risky, but everybody fell about!
20th June 2007 08:22 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Never heard of the fucker.

Something tells me you'd approve.... LOL
20th June 2007 08:23 AM
Gazza
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
I have a video of Bernard taken at a stand up gig in 1994. He walks on the stage and jut stares at the crowd for about 40 seconds, then he lights up a cigarette and takes a huge long puff and releases it into the spotlit air. He then utters his first words. "Fuck Roy Castle!"

oh Christ..LOL
20th June 2007 08:45 AM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
Gazza wrote:

oh Christ..LOL

His humour was unique. Because although he was racist, he still joked about everything and everybody. He didnt just pick on one specific race, colour or creed. He would slag everybody!
20th June 2007 11:29 AM
Gazza
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:

His humour was unique. Because although he was racist, he still joked about everything and everybody. He didnt just pick on one specific race, colour or creed. He would slag everybody!

In which case, it's actually NOT 'racist'....
20th June 2007 12:11 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

In which case, it's actually NOT 'racist'....

dunno, u sure?
20th June 2007 02:11 PM
Honky Tonk Man I'm not too sure if Bernard Manning was a racist or not, but he loved to offend. He was good at it too. Being offensive isn't actually a crime.

He was born in 1930 and grew up in a poor part of Manchester. His views on different races reflect his upbringing and the generation he was born.

I don't think it’s a coincidence that all those who despised his brand of humour are the same. I bet they are all vegetarians as well.

Lastly, he comes from a Jewish background for Christ’s sake!
20th June 2007 02:18 PM
glencar Sorry, I jusy don't get Brit humor. I never thought that Benny Hill was all that funny. I do like Gervais though. He's not too PC.
20th June 2007 02:50 PM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

dunno, u sure?

technically speaking, youre not singling anyone out, then no, its not.

being an equal opportunity basher isnt being selective.

In reality, whether he WAS is a matter of opinion, of course
20th June 2007 02:51 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Sorry, I jusy don't get Brit humor. I never thought that Benny Hill was all that funny. I do like Gervais though. He's not too PC.

Always makes me scratch my head with disbelief why Benny Hill is trotted out by Americans as the standard example of Brit humour. I know he was very popular over there, but still...

Maybe about 35-40 years ago he might have been.
20th June 2007 03:06 PM
glencar To be fair, I also cited Gervais. I found that Eddie Izzard fella kind of boring.
20th June 2007 03:25 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
To be fair, I also cited Gervais. I found that Eddie Izzard fella kind of boring.

Me too. he's as much fun as cot death, but each to their own I suppose...
21st June 2007 02:07 AM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Always makes me scratch my head with disbelief why Benny Hill is trotted out by Americans as the standard example of Brit humour. I know he was very popular over there, but still...

Maybe about 35-40 years ago he might have been.

I agree. Benny Hill was not that funny. There have been much better comedians whom probably didnt make it in the US. But I think it works both ways. Some US comedians dont really make it over here.
21st June 2007 03:20 AM
pdog Gervais is pretty brilliant... i know it is old, but The young Ones is my all time favorite BritCom. I know there was a folow up with a few of the actors, i saw a few shows, it was okay... The Office is pretty damn funny, I have to admit, The American version is just as good, and i was sure we'd fuck it up...
RIP Bernard, I barely knew him... We need more BritComs here...
21st June 2007 03:40 AM
stonedinaustralia now THIS is classic brit. comedy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MbeT7_ARm8

with apologies to our german posters (i suppose )

"four colditz salads!!" LOL brilliant

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
22nd June 2007 05:55 AM
corgi37 My favourite show EVER is Minder. Fucking brilliant! Benny Hill was huge here, as was, On the buses & Love thy neighbour. Those last two shows made me NEVER want to go to England. And, i never have or will.

Oddly, Brady Bunch made me want to go to America. And i did!

Didnt find Marcia though.
22nd June 2007 07:14 AM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
My favourite show EVER is Minder. Fucking brilliant! Benny Hill was huge here, as was, On the buses & Love thy neighbour. Those last two shows made me NEVER want to go to England. And, i never have or will.

Oddly, Brady Bunch made me want to go to America. And i did!

Didnt find Marcia though.

Well dont bother. Its exactly like "on the buses" here!
22nd June 2007 07:44 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
My favourite show EVER is Minder. Fucking brilliant! Benny Hill was huge here, as was, On the buses & Love thy neighbour. Those last two shows made me NEVER want to go to England. And, i never have or will.

'Love Thy Neighbour' ? 'On The Buses' ? That shite is about 35 years old!

You wouldnt ever see 'Love thy neighbour' on re-runs now. The PC-mob would have a shitfit over it.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)