ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Estadio José Alvalade XXI, Lisbon 25th June 2007
© GotToRollMe and Gazza
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 1989 Morocco meeting Jajouka musicians Return to archive
18th June 2007 10:19 AM
tumbled Can you guys decipher (starting at minute 6:32) what the last name that Mick says after the old man kisses him and he says Brian Geissenhaus? or something like that? Isn't that what it sounds like to you?

This tape part is funny because Mick is being introduced to the jajouka band people:

"This is Ali, this is Abdullah, this is my brother Mustafa, this is Abdou, this is Abdullah, This isMohammed, this is old man who want to kiss you, and he said he met you one time in 1981 with Brian Geisenhaus(?), this is Mohammed, this is Moctah, very happy to meet you, this is Ali, this is Absalom, this is Lessem, this is Olive very very happy....

(??!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG1-GHqmrEM

[Edited by tumbled]
18th June 2007 10:59 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
tumbled wrote:
Can you guys decipher (starting at minute 6:32) what the last name that Mick says after the old man kisses him?

after the old man kisses him, Mick says:

"Joey???"
18th June 2007 11:44 AM
Mel Belli Oy vey.
18th June 2007 01:19 PM
Gazza Brion Gysin is presumably the guy you're referring to.

More about him here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brion_Gysin
[Edited by Gazza]
18th June 2007 03:27 PM
tumbled Oh thank you kindly. So its another fellow. But why do you think the old man felt the need to mention brian geysin's name? weird. somethings will always be a mystery. Thank you v. much.

18th June 2007 03:32 PM
Gazza Brion lived in Tangier and hung out with the Stones when they were there.
18th June 2007 03:59 PM
tumbled
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Brion lived in Tangier and "hung out" with the Stones when they were there.

and friends of Wm Burroughs too ahem. mm
mm... ok

18th June 2007 04:05 PM
speedfreakjive did they first meet them on the Morrocan holiday 1968??
18th June 2007 05:36 PM
tumbled Brion was apparently a busy guy he opened a restaurant there:

Wikipedia: " In Tangier he established a restaurant called the 1001 Nights with Moroccan musicians from the village of Jajouka"
[Edited by tumbled]
18th June 2007 06:29 PM
Mathijs Brion Gysen was the guy the whole idea of recording the music of the Joujouke came from. He was part of the 'beat generation' group and introduced Burroughs to Morocco. Through Burroughs the hip London scene was introduced to Morocco, and just as the Beatles went to India, the Stones went to Morocco. Jones was introduced to the Joujouke tribe through Gysen, and decided he wanted to record them. The rest is (a little piece of) history.

Mathijs
18th June 2007 09:40 PM
mandrack thanks for the link,
wasn't aware of this!!!!
Pretty cool,
well this was like , uf, almost 20 years ago, love Steel Wheels period,
thanks once again
18th June 2007 11:02 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
mandrack wrote:
thanks for the link,
wasn't aware of this!!!!
Pretty cool,
well this was like , uf, almost 20 years ago, love Steel Wheels period,
thanks once again

Reminds me: Anyone celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Primitive Cool" this year?
18th June 2007 11:42 PM
tumbled
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Reminds me: Anyone celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Primitive Cool" this year?

um not I, I had no idea, a friend sent me the link to these moroccan documentaries and it only opened up pandora's box for me with questions. the exploration into the roots of the muslim lifestyle is an interesting trip
19th June 2007 12:06 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

I AM
19th June 2007 07:47 PM
fireontheplatter the whole 5 part series is pretty cool for those who haven't checked them out
20th June 2007 05:46 PM
killerbitch Have any of you ever heard JouJouka music? I have a disc I think from 1971
and I am sorry to say it is HORRIBLE! It sounds like high pitched screeching,
kazoos, and other instruments and it is unbearable to listen to. I don't know
if that is the way it is supposed to sound, but that is the what the disc sounds
like. It is just screeeching, squawking, various high pitched screeching and
some kind of background music. Is this JouJouka music or something else?
20th June 2007 05:48 PM
glencar
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

I certainly AM! I love half of it.
20th June 2007 05:54 PM
Gazza
quote:
killerbitch wrote:
Have any of you ever heard JouJouka music? I have a disc I think from 1971
and I am sorry to say it is HORRIBLE! It sounds like high pitched screeching,
kazoos, and other instruments and it is unbearable to listen to. I don't know
if that is the way it is supposed to sound, but that is the what the disc sounds
like. It is just screeeching, squawking, various high pitched screeching and
some kind of background music. Is this JouJouka music or something else?

They probably think the same about the crap WE like, though!
20th June 2007 05:56 PM
Saint Sway considering how much Jagger loathes revisiting the past in any way, its pretty shocking that they went back down there and did this

plus, at the time, they were trying to 'reunite' and put out a new album and get back on the charts. So its even more surprising that they would do something so adventerous.

they really havent taken any musical risks since

[Edited by Saint Sway]
20th June 2007 05:59 PM
glencar Sweet Neocon wasn't risky?
20th June 2007 06:13 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Sweet Neocon wasn't risky?

It might have been had they played it. If anything it was a one-week wonder, news wise.

The Stones recording something topical or controversial isnt a significant event anymore. No one really cares.

Sway's referring to being musically adventurous as opposed to culturally, though.

The only musical departure post-Continental Drift has been "Might as well get Juiced"
[Edited by Gazza]
20th June 2007 06:16 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
glencar wrote:
Sweet Neocon wasn't risky?

It was hardly a musical risk. And I don't think an anti-Bush song in 2005 was even politically risky. In '02, perhaps.
20th June 2007 07:26 PM
killerbitch Gazza, have you ever heard Joujouka? I mean actually heard it? I have nothing
against other music but this disc was not what I thought it really was.
I was told it was not supposed to sound that way so I don't know for sure
That is why I was asking if anyone had actually heard it and what their
opinion was in case I was not hearing it right.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)