ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Unknown Author with thanks to Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: what country, country rock, alt cunt bands do you like Return to archive Page: 1 2
19th June 2006 04:48 PM
Saint Sway been a fistful of good alt-country/country rock bands passing thru NYC the past week.... The Yayhoos, The Bottle Rockets, Rhett Miller, Son Volt, Golden Smog....

anyone really dig these type of bands? If so, what ones?
19th June 2006 04:50 PM
Joey " anyone really dig these type of bands? "

19th June 2006 04:52 PM
gimmekeef The header description referenced "cunt bands"...so I just dropped in for a peek to see twats new.....
19th June 2006 04:56 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
The header description referenced "cunt bands"...so I just dropped in for a peek to see twats new.....

The Mike Hunt Band will be performing this saturday at Lakeside Lounge.

I think they are performing Flashpoint in its entirity
19th June 2006 05:00 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The first time I heard the MHB I heard many times the singer saying "My Cunt Band" LOL
19th June 2006 05:01 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl What an ugly footer Saint Sway
19th June 2006 05:03 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
What an ugly footer Saint Sway

thats your opinion!

I think it rules!

it has a certain "electricity" and "buzz" about it
19th June 2006 05:09 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:

And the moron can't even reduce the size, so it's fits properly...

and its animated just like your footer pdog!
19th June 2006 05:09 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
pdog wrote:
I will not even answer his question... His bad taste procludes me.

Hey... I'm in that picture, so it's not bad taste at all.

However I agree, the size of the footer is criminal
19th June 2006 05:18 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:

Size matters, the pic itself is fine... Imeany his bad taste in music ie: Crowes!

speaking of bad taste... I saw Sonic Youth open for the Crowes.

http://www.crowesbase.com/tapelisting.cfm?TapeID=512
19th June 2006 05:31 PM
glencar What a maroon...
19th June 2006 05:36 PM
Some Guy 6/16/2006 - Boston Globe review

Details:
David Lee Roth may have bombed as a morning talk-show host, but he makes a persuasive case as a bluegrass singer in this winning acoustic tribute to his Van Halen catalog. He's one of many vocalists on the CD, but Roth leads the pack by revisiting (by way of Appalachia) two of his Van Halen hits, "Jump" and "Jamie's Cryin'." He is accompanied by the John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band (Jorgenson is a three-time winner of the Academy of Country Music award for guitarist of the year) and sounds quite believable when surrounded by fiddle, dobro, and mandolin, rather than by Eddie Van Halen's signature pop-metal mayhem. The rest of the disc is an added treat, featuring some of the top names in bluegrass. John Cowan, formerly of New Grass Revival, drives through "Runnin' With the Devil" with a fevered intensity. Banjo legend Tony Trischka elevates "Feel Your Love Tonight," Mountain Heart rips through "Dance the Night Away," the Nashville Bluegrass Band lends style to "Could This Be Magic?," and mandolinist David Grisman brings "Hot for Teacher" to a boil. Another triumph is Dennis Caplinger's psychedelic banjo version of Eddie Van Halen's classical instrumental "Eruption." The performances transcend cheesiness, and this album should prove once and for all that bluegrass musicians can adapt to just about anything.
ESSENTIAL TRACK: "Jump."
19th June 2006 06:55 PM
SheRat
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
6/16/2006 - Boston Globe review

Details:
David Lee Roth may have bombed as a morning talk-show host, but he makes a persuasive case as a bluegrass singer in this winning acoustic tribute to his Van Halen catalog. He's one of many vocalists on the CD, but Roth leads the pack by revisiting (by way of Appalachia) two of his Van Halen hits, "Jump" and "Jamie's Cryin'." He is accompanied by the John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band (Jorgenson is a three-time winner of the Academy of Country Music award for guitarist of the year) and sounds quite believable when surrounded by fiddle, dobro, and mandolin, rather than by Eddie Van Halen's signature pop-metal mayhem. The rest of the disc is an added treat, featuring some of the top names in bluegrass. John Cowan, formerly of New Grass Revival, drives through "Runnin' With the Devil" with a fevered intensity. Banjo legend Tony Trischka elevates "Feel Your Love Tonight," Mountain Heart rips through "Dance the Night Away," the Nashville Bluegrass Band lends style to "Could This Be Magic?," and mandolinist David Grisman brings "Hot for Teacher" to a boil. Another triumph is Dennis Caplinger's psychedelic banjo version of Eddie Van Halen's classical instrumental "Eruption." The performances transcend cheesiness, and this album should prove once and for all that bluegrass musicians can adapt to just about anything.
ESSENTIAL TRACK: "Jump."

For those of you who didn't see the freakin' trainwreck that is the bluegrass DLR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW5-mPbkKw8&search=roth

19th June 2006 08:17 PM
glencar Holy Crap! That DLR/Leno appearance is frighteningly bad! I'm emailing it to just about everyone I know.
19th June 2006 08:22 PM
glencar
quote:
pdog wrote:

It is to Email, what Anthrax was to snail mail. You will be losing friends fast.

I'll just send it to sway then...
19th June 2006 08:24 PM
glencar Yes like those crowes...
19th June 2006 11:01 PM
FPM C10 I forget...what was this thread about? Country bands?

20th June 2006 12:24 AM
Taptrick

I've heard some Donna The Buffalo I liked.

20th June 2006 12:25 AM
Taptrick

And I must admit I will still pay to see Michael Martin Murphey.

20th June 2006 12:47 AM
Bloozehound occasionally I go see these cats play live and get filthy drunk on cheap tequila and shoot my guns off

Billy Joe Shaver
Dale Watson
James Hand
20th June 2006 01:49 AM
corgi37 Country music to me, for the most part, is poisoned patriotic clap-trap. I do admit that it now represents "white" music in the U.S. Apart from hating the flag loving, down home, simple cuntry living ethos, i truly dispise the wearing of cowboy hats and the moustaches. It seems U.S. country has gone more rock, and even a tad hip-hopish (some fucker has a song called "honky tonk bedonk edonk" - or something like that) - but still, for the most part, its all about their favourite bars, that beer is for the working man, how great their country is (and how they'll "Kick your ass" - TOBY KEITH - if you dont agree).

Aussie country music is only a little less lamer. Though many of our "artists" sing like they come from Oklamhoma instead of outback Queensland.

No. I am proud to say i feel country music is evil. Not as wicked as Jazz, but certainly not far off. And, i dont give a fuck if the Stones do it, if they like it, if they are influenced by it. I still bloody hate it!

Though, i didnt mind Lone Justice in the 80's. Maria McKee had a wicked voice.
20th June 2006 08:47 AM
mac_daddy we mock what we dont understand.

sway - how can you dis' sonic youth..? you gonna b*tch about wire, too..? i mean, jeez. you can say you dont get it; you can say it doesnt jibe with your aesthetic. but dont say they suck - they are a groundbreaking act, with more influence than the crowes could hope to have (primarily 'cos the latter is retro in their thing anyway, so there isnt a whole lot that is new going on there)...

i am with you the majority of the time (except when you b*tch about off-topic posts, which to me is like the pot calling the kettle black, 'cos you post more non-stones stuff than almost anybody, and no the crowes do NOT count as stones content). anyway, i dig the crowes. hell, i was one of the few on board with some of the solo stuff, and am happy to say i have recorded nme and rich (acoustic and electric)...

but dont hate on sonic youth. look, they arent getting me to the forum to see pearl jam, either (though i know i should get there), but they are groundbreaking, influential, relevant and worthy of respect - even if you dont dig 'em yourself...

you dont hate on ornette or dolphy just 'cos you dont get them, do you..?

and for the record, donna the buffalo would be much closer to newgrass than they would be to alt country...

speaking of alt country, hank3 is doing the sunset jct this year, along with i see hawks in la and dave alvin...
20th June 2006 09:58 AM
FPM C10

I predict that this up-and-coming new alt-country act has a bright future.

Keep on the sunny side!
20th June 2006 10:23 AM
Lethargy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
been a fistful of good alt-country/country rock bands passing thru NYC the past week.... The Yayhoos, The Bottle Rockets, Rhett Miller, Son Volt, Golden Smog....

anyone really dig these type of bands? If so, what ones?

Does Hank Williams III count as alt-country? If so, I kinda dig is stuff when I'm in the right mood.
20th June 2006 10:35 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Lethargy wrote:

Does Hank Williams III count as alt-country? If so, I kinda dig is stuff when I'm in the right mood.

50% of the time. The other 50% he's cow punk.

WK, as for cool alt. country bands you lethargically got into the Jayhawks about 10 years after they were good.

but by the time you get into Uncle Tupelo, Whiskeytown, Gram Parsons, Steve Earle, New Heathens or Two Dollar Pistols this thread will be deleted.
20th June 2006 10:40 AM
caro
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

sway - how can you dis' sonic youth..? you gonna b*tch about wire, too..? i mean, jeez. you can say you dont get it; you can say it doesnt jibe with your aesthetic. but dont say they suck - they are a groundbreaking act, with more influence than the crowes could hope to have (primarily 'cos the latter is retro in their thing anyway, so there isnt a whole lot that is new going on there)...

i am with you the majority of the time (except when you b*tch about off-topic posts, which to me is like the pot calling the kettle black, 'cos you post more non-stones stuff than almost anybody, and no the crowes do NOT count as stones content). anyway, i dig the crowes. hell, i was one of the few on board with some of the solo stuff, and am happy to say i have recorded nme and rich (acoustic and electric)...

but dont hate on sonic youth. look, they arent getting me to the forum to see pearl jam, either (though i know i should get there), but they are groundbreaking, influential, relevant and worthy of respect - even if you dont dig 'em yourself...

People should listen more to mac_daddy! There are many Sonic Youth songs that I don't get, but I really love the few songs that aren't getting over my head.
And since the topic was brought up: yes, that signature pic needs to be shrinked! It fucks up 90% of the threads.
20th June 2006 10:59 AM
Bloozehound Strummin' with the Devil: The Southern Side of Van Halen
20th June 2006 11:10 AM
Sir Stonesalot He's a small list of some countrified stuff that I dig.

Johnny Cash
Hank & Hank III
Waylon & Willie
Robbie Fulks
Drive By Truckers
The Devil's Own
Patsy Cline
Blue Mountain & Cary Hudson
BR549
Wilco
The Jayhawks
The Bottlerockets
Son Volt
Uncle Tupelo
Steve Earle

There's more, but that's it for now....
20th June 2006 12:04 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Strummin' with the Devil: The Southern Side of Van Halen

it's allright. I like Jamies cryin
20th June 2006 12:20 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Strummin' with the Devil: The Southern Side of Van Halen

sounds like the same idea as the Hayseed Dixie AC/DC bluegrass album

theres a whole series as of the "Picken On:_________" bluegrass tribute albums. Pickin On The Dead. Pickin On Zeppelin. And, yes siree Bob, theres even a Pickin On The Crowes.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)