ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Fleabit Peanut
Monkey was here babies!
Spectrum Arena, Philadelphia - Today 30 years ago
© 1975 FPM C10
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Best/Worst Reads Return to archive
June 21st, 2005 09:11 AM
Lord Homosex What do you peoples think are some of the better books about our rocking world? Stories that tel us how the Stones live? Personally I love the Mac book "All The Rage". Also Marianne's autobio seemed good. I have gotten the best knowledge re. the Stones from "secondary" Stones. Insiders who were not the main players. Of all the Keith bios I liked the first onhe by Barbara Charone the most. For some reason the book always strikes me as very quiet. It's sort of rainy, a bit melancholic. "Rock on Wood" is very good too.
On a tabloid level I dig Spanish Tony's book of course, and also the (by now) easily available book on the 72 tour by Norman. Or is that Greenfield? you know, the book equivalent of "CS BLues".
The photo books have many great ones: the old one by Dalton; the grey one that ends in 71. Excellent! then the Carr book; oversized one. The Michael cooper book and the Ethan Russell one too. "Street Fighting years" come to mind.
Perry about "Exile, McCabe re "Performance", Apopleford "Rip this Joint" is a must have.
The absolute biggest letdown had to be Bill Wyman's first book. What a whiner! Ending every chapter with his miserable bank balance LOL. And keeping score about the "birds" he scored.
"Old Gods" was also terrible. "Blown Away" sucked ass.
I have not gotten the late three books; seems like they're all Keith bios. Are they any good? Or just the same warstories over and over? I was never crazy about Bockris.
June 21st, 2005 09:37 AM
mac_daddy i liked bockris' bio on keef the best...

i enjoyed geenfield's 1972 book alot, as wellas stanley booth's book about 1969...

i love exile, but think putland's "pleased to meet you" is better (from a picture pespective). i also like that liebovitz book from the 75 tour...

rolling with the stones is pretty fun, and according to is a good read...

and of course, i find spanish tony's book to be the quickest read of them all...

June 21st, 2005 09:55 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Didnt like old gods
June 21st, 2005 10:11 AM
M.O.W.A.T. Satisfaction from Christopher Sandford is a piece of shit.
June 21st, 2005 10:14 AM
Joey

< ----- " OLD GODS ALMOST DEAD " IS A FACTUAL MASTERPIECE !

Thanks Lil' Fella ........

..........I also enjoyed " Stone Alone " immensely !

Flacky

June 21st, 2005 11:19 AM
Nasty Habits I really like Chet Flippo's account of the '75 tour and his stuff about Canada '77 is fascinating.

June 21st, 2005 11:45 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
I really like Chet Flippo's account of the '75 tour and his stuff about Canada '77 is fascinating.

are these collected in a book somewhere..?
June 21st, 2005 12:52 PM
texile chet flippo and robert greenfield were the best.......
the rest were either kiss-ass idolatry(booth and charone) or tabloid trash (everything else)-
although the sanchez book was my primer.....
ahh, to be 13 yrs old again - it was an eye-opener for sure.
June 21st, 2005 06:58 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
I really like Chet Flippo's account of the '75 tour and his stuff about Canada '77 is fascinating.

beat me to the punch with that one nasty

one of my favourites too

macd - it's out there, entitled "On the Road with Rolling Stones" as nasty mentions has storiesa from the '75 tour - much info about the toronto bust and a couple of "codas" circa 79/80
June 21st, 2005 09:28 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

beat me to the punch with that one nasty

one of my favourites too

macd - it's out there, entitled "On the Road with Rolling Stones" as nasty mentions has storiesa from the '75 tour - much info about the toronto bust and a couple of "codas" circa 79/80

i'm l00kin now

thanks.
June 21st, 2005 09:50 PM
Soldatti Old Gods... is great and my favorite.
June 21st, 2005 10:16 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Old Gods... is great and my favorite.

havent read that, either... that is relatively new, isnt it..?
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)