ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Fleabit Peanut
Monkey was here babies!
Spectrum Arena, Philadelphia - Today 30 years ago
© 1975 FPM C10
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sex Pistols To Play Hyde Park! Return to archive
June 19th, 2005 06:22 AM
Honky Tonk Man EXCLUSIVE:Legendary punk band reform for Live 8 gig

Nevermind the politics, here's the Sex Pistols (again!)

By Rav Singh

THERE'S a Rotten surprise in store this coming Live 8 . . . punk gods the SEX PISTOLS are reforming for the gig.

It's another extraordinary coup for the Geldof team who have already lined up the SPICE GIRLS for the Hyde Park concert.

And it promises to be one of the highlights of an already phenomenal event.

Live 8 organisers have been in touch with the remaining members of the band for the past fortnight in a bid to get the Seventies legends on the bill.

STEVE JONES, PAUL COOK and GLEN MATLOCK all agreed several days ago and now I can exclusively reveal that after much toing and froing JOHNNY ROTTEN has finally rubber stamped the deal. Johnny—real name JOHN LYDON—was considering the offer for most of the week but decided on Friday that he IS up for it. I'm told: "The others said ‘Yes' straight away but Johnny took his time.

"He knew the rest of the band had given the reunion the green light so in the end he agreed."

After a brief but infamous career crashing out albums like Never Mind The B******s, the Pistols disbanded shortly after bassist SID VICIOUS died of an overdose in 1979.

Sid had joined the band two years earlier, replacing Matlock, who then filled the void when the band reunited in 1996.

Lucrative

After some lucrative gigs in 2002 and 2003 (and an appearance for Johnny on I'm A Celeb...) the Pistols are now back again for the Live 8 gig on Saturday, July 2.

My source added: "No one ever thought they would see the day that the Sex Pistols would reform. But because Live 8 is such a special event it has made it possible.

"And it wouldn't have been the same without Johnny."

June 19th, 2005 10:37 AM
Madafaka Wow! I'll want to hear that concert.
June 19th, 2005 11:55 AM
Honky Tonk Man I'm beginning to wonder just how many more bands they can fit on the bill! The list seems endless to me, with new bands getting added all the time.
June 19th, 2005 12:59 PM
tbird I flew to England to see the Pistols reunion in 1996. It was so amazing going up front and screaming along to the opener, Bodies, surrounded by 40,000 old punks as well as new fans. The Pistols haven't lost a step. Iggy Pop played too. Pop and the Pistols put so many bands today to shame. Green Day should just hang it up and die. That new song is such a rip off of London Calling. Damn, I'm winding myself all up!
[Edited by tbird]
June 19th, 2005 03:59 PM
Hannalee
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder just how many more bands they can fit on the bill! The list seems endless to me, with new bands getting added all the time.

Didn't Harvey Goldsmith say there were 65 acts who wanted to play that he just couldn't squeeze in?!!
June 19th, 2005 08:47 PM
CraigP The Pistols suck. Contradictory punk. They killed it.
June 19th, 2005 10:07 PM
FPM C10
quote:
tbird wrote:
I flew to England to see the Pistols reunion in 1996. It was so amazing going up front and screaming along to the opener, Bodies, surrounded by 40,000 old punks as well as new fans. The Pistols haven't lost a step. Iggy Pop played too. Pop and the Pistols put so many bands today to shame. Green Day should just hang it up and die. That new song is such a rip off of London Calling. Damn, I'm winding myself all up!
[Edited by tbird]

I saw the '96 reunion at Roseland in NYC and the '03 reunion at DC's 930 Club. Both were amazing, sweaty, pure rock & roll nights which I hold among my most cherished memories. Although I have rethought my position on the exact place the Pistols hold in the history of Rock & Roll as it affects me (I now place the NY Dolls in the spot they once inhabited in my personal R&R pantheon) they are still an awesome live band who should never be underestimated. Their set will be the highlight of the Live 8 extravaganzas as far as I'm concerned.

Wow! I didn't know Iggy opened the London Pistols show - was that the Finsbury Park show immortalized on Filty Lucre? I envy you that experience!

"Bodies" was the most awesome opening song they could have played. It just PUMMELED you. And hearing "Anarchy" and "God Save the Queen" live left me speechless both times I saw them. That's just world-class as-good-as-it-gets in-your-face balls-out rockandfuckingroll.

June 20th, 2005 12:22 AM
Soldatti The DVD from that concert will sell like hotcakes.
June 20th, 2005 04:43 PM
tbird Yes, that was Finsbury Park.
June 20th, 2005 04:52 PM
pdog
quote:
CraigP wrote:
The Pistols suck. Contradictory punk. They killed it.

Punks not Dead....

June 20th, 2005 05:26 PM
Phog Holy shit, I used to love the Exploited back in high school. Dead Cities Dead Cities!!
June 20th, 2005 07:06 PM
tbird We did publicity for The Exploited in 2003. Wattie and the band still tear it up. I saw them Dec 2004 at The Continental in NYC.
June 20th, 2005 07:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Wow! I didn't know Iggy opened the London Pistols show - was that the Finsbury Park show immortalized on Filty Lucre? I envy you that experience!

"Bodies" was the most awesome opening song they could have played. It just PUMMELED you.

The BBC broadcast that show live on the radio. Pummeled is a good description. I still remember the sheer noise from the crowd that greeted the opening notes of that song. I thought my speakers were going to cave in
June 20th, 2005 07:18 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The BBC broadcast that show live on the radio. Pummeled is a good description. I still remember the sheer noise from the crowd that greeted the opening notes of that song. I thought my speakers were going to cave in

I saw them in 96 and in Sf last time. It was the 1st time I met and hung out with She Rat... It was awesome, she was so into it, she even went into the pit, I think. My best memory was here doing a pogo like hop in front of me, while we all pushed up near the front. I was a dirty old man, I don't know if I ever told her that...
Confession? Well now she knows. Hopefully she'll still talk to me!
June 20th, 2005 11:12 PM
FPM C10 I wonder...will Johnny wear his "I Hate Pink Floyd" t-shirt?
June 21st, 2005 04:24 AM
pdog
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I wonder...will Johnny wear his "I Hate Pink Floyd" t-shirt?

I thought Sid wore that shirt. Johnny is a big fan of Can, he has good taste when it comes to Prog...
June 21st, 2005 09:20 AM
FPM C10
quote:
pdog wrote:

I thought Sid wore that shirt. Johnny is a big fan of Can, he has good taste when it comes to Prog...

Nope, it was Johnny - that's why they pulled him off the street to try out for the band. The audition was singing along to "I'm 18" by Alice Cooper playing on the jukebox at "Sex".

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)